What game led you to buy a TurboGrafx-16?

Started by MrFulci, 07/03/2014, 12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tg16manaic

Saw the tv commercial... became very interested... then i saw Splatterhouse... and i had to have it!!!
(circa 1990)

Something about going around with a 2x4 and bashing the opponents with it was very appealing. Video games at the time were very G rated, so Splatterhouse was very cool.

Fast forward to 1993...Saw Lords of Thunder, and was absolutely blown away by it. I was literally like "holy sh*t look at those graphics" Never in my life had i seen graphics like that, it was the most awesome thing ever, and it led me to buy a Turbo Duo.

sosoyo180

Gate of Thunder drew me in like a god damn magnet, I knew I had to have it. And when I saw Lords it was like the money in my wallet was already out... My god I love those games  :o
12 hard black inches of pure fun, the TurboGrafx 16.

johnnymad

Always wanted a TG-16 as a kid but only recently picked one up in the past two years. Game I really wanted to play was Bonk's Adventure and it did not disappoint. Great game.

viper0hr

Mine would be Splatterhouse.
As I Nintendo guy mainly it's not available to play and the Tg16 just looks so damn good that it is the best way to play it IMO.
Since then I have fallen in love with many of the games, but SH would be the main one.

smbulletz

Sadly I just got a Duo-R.  I always considered getting into collecting for the tg-16 but just never gave in.  I had friends with a tg-16 when I was younger but I stuck with the SNES and Gensis.  Now I regret not buying in earlier as some of the games I want are pricey. Convincing the wife is another issue.  Seeing that I spend money on my arcade machines, SNES, Gensis, PS1- PS3 and X-box 360 import shooters, it's hard to explain the spending for the Duo-R and games.  But she's cool I will just send her shopping and all is well.  Now I was attrached to The Tg-16/PC Engine due to all the shooters, Dracula X and of course Bonk.  I feel my wallet getting lighter thinking about the 74 games on my must buy list :cry:

Greg2600

In junior high school, a couple of my friends had a TG-16, that was about it.  They didn't have many games beyond the standard fare.  Bonk, TV Sports, Splatterhouse, etc.  No one had the Turbo Duo.  So I just kind of forgot about it.  I love shmups, so I wound up getting a TG-16 several years ago.  It collected dust until the Everdrive became available though!
The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com

Medic_wheat

For me it was Bonk...

I love the colors.  The emotive sprit work.  The pin point controls and Arcady feel to geta higher and higher score....l

If I bought only that one game the owning of the whole system felt justified.  Mind you I didn't own one when it was initially released it was something a rich older family member owned who I only visited a handful of times.

Now for my justification of the Turboduo that would be gates of thunder...

Yes I know each time I picked a pack in game but they really knew how to show case the system IMO.

geise

Blazing Lazers was my main reason I got one near the tg-16's launch.  Ys was my reason for geting the CD add on.  Gate of Thunder was my reason to trade both of those in and buy a Duo unit at launch.

ctophil

Hi everybody,

My first exposure to the Turbografx-16 was at Toys R' Us.  The rolling demos of Bonk's Adventure, Vigilante, Super Star Soldier, Legendary Axe, Splatterhouse, and Devil's Crush were all really cool.  I already owned an NES and SNES at that time.  So my mom wouldn't buy anything else for a very long time.  lol.  I didn't get a TG-16 until much later, I guess around 2004.  My first game was Keith Courage because it came with the system.  The game that really got me pumping was Fighting Street.  I was a Street Fighter II fan.  So seeing the First Street Fighter (Fighting Street on TG-CD) on a home console was sweet heaven!  hehe. 

I just bought a Turbografx-CD add-on this month.  So you know I will be adding Fighting Street to my collection asap!

Ayce

Originally my brother bought the TG16... I don't know if there was any specific game that made him buy it, but I'm just glad he did. Since then many years later I bought my own and the one game that I just could not live without was Dragon's Curse. (Oh and Neutopia)

Of course I had if for the Master System already, but the TG16 version is so much better.

esteban

Quote from: ctophil on 07/29/2014, 04:57 PMHi everybody,

My first exposure to the Turbografx-16 was at Toys R' Us.  The rolling demos of Bonk's Adventure, Vigilante, Super Star Soldier, Legendary Axe, Splatterhouse, and Devil's Crush were all really cool.  I already owned an NES and SNES at that time.  So my mom wouldn't buy anything else for a very long time.  lol.  I didn't get a TG-16 until much later, I guess around 2004.  My first game was Keith Courage because it came with the system.  The game that really got me pumping was Fighting Street.  I was a Street Fighter II fan.  So seeing the First Street Fighter (Fighting Street on TG-CD) on a home console was sweet heaven!  hehe. 

I just bought a Turbografx-CD add-on this month.  So you know I will be adding Fighting Street to my collection asap!
So I have been listening to the Fighting Street tunes recently (it's been years) and even though I'm not the biggest SF fan, I have to admit I like some of the tracks. Nothing amazing, of course, but they certainly complement the game. When you compare the arcade tunes (via YouTube, I don't have anything better) vs. Red Book of TG-CD, we got a nice treat. I wish Capcom's composers tried to make some of these songs a bit more memorable instead of just being Muzak in the background.

Clearly, I'm trying to get some enjoyment out of SF1, which only music and artwork can provide...not the game itself.

I really wish the game itself (SF1) was more enjoyable. I used to play it at a pizza parlor back in the day, it looked so kool, but I was mashing buttons.  :pcgs:
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

ctophil

Quote from: esteban on 07/31/2014, 09:31 AMSo I have been listening to the Fighting Street tunes recently (it's been years) and even though I'm not the biggest SF fan, I have to admit I like some of the tracks. Nothing amazing, of course, but they certainly complement the game. When you compare the arcade tunes (via YouTube, I don't have anything better) vs. Red Book of TG-CD, we got a nice treat. I wish Capcom's composers tried to make some of these songs a bit more memorable instead of just being Muzak in the background.

Clearly, I'm trying to get some enjoyment out of SF1, which only music and artwork can provide...not the game itself.

I really wish the game itself (SF1) was more enjoyable. I used to play it at a pizza parlor back in the day, it looked so kool, but I was mashing buttons.  :pcgs:
Yeah, the first Street Fighter is more nostalgic than anything else these days.  It came out in the late  1980s, so you wouldn't expect anything spectacular.  This was when fighting games weren't that popular yet.  What was really memorable about the game were the giant buttons you had to pound on for punching and kicking in the arcades!  It sure attracted a bunch of people around the unit. 

The music was okay, but Street Fighter II had a pretty large improvement in the overall soundtrack, keeping you pumped for the onscreen action.  I didn't pay attention to the music in the arcades due to all the noise people were making.  But I really liked it on the SNES when it got ported to the home consoles.

bonoedgey

I just recently bought a TG-16. I actually managed to get it with a white PCE thrown in. It didn't have many games.. It had Keith Courage and for the PCE had R-type pt1. Growing up I was mostly a nintendo boy. I had those various systems. In junior high (Gr 7) I was exposed to the TG-16 from two different friends (town of around only 500 people so the average was good considering). The one friend had JJ and Jeff, China Warrior, and a few others that I don't really recall.  It was at a b-day party I saw those games.. I played them and thought at the time they were pretty darn cool (lol in regards to china warrior.. I was young.. and liked the big graphics. JJ and Jeff not sure what I was going for but it was intriguing for me)  I think I liked them cause they were very different.. I was fascinated with the cards for games.  (I actually got Kato Chan & Ken Chan shortly after my PCE/TG-16 purchase just because I knew it was JJ and Jeff with variation.. probably nostalgic and the fact it came with SFII.) 

My other friend he only had 1 game with his system he didn't play it much at all.. and sadly I don't remember what game it was :(  I remember I liked it from what I remember him playing.. It was a hucard and it looked to be a RPG.. but after that I couldn't tell you much. I know I was very intrigued by it though. I have since went and tried to refresh my memory on videogameden.com.. I believe it may be dungeon explorer.

I know now that china warrior and JJ and Jeff probably don't do it for most and there definitely is way more awesome sauce out there .. but those being different than what I was use to being a Nintendo guy.. are my earliest memories.. I also did like the hucard and the look of the system.. sadly I am now just getting to it after having many other systems between then and now.

turboswimbz

I was born with a PCE in my room. 

That being said my first love was bonk.

Mario is jerk. Bonk for President.  Believe in our nations kids!
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

fsa

Two games, Blazing Lazers and Legendary Axe and who can forget that cover of VGCE with the Turbo on it.
Looking for TG16 games I don't have already.

ultrageranium

esteban

Quote from: turboswimbz on 08/02/2014, 05:00 PMI was born with a PCE in my room. 

That being said my first love was bonk.

Mario is jerk. Bonk for President.  Believe in our nations kids!
Dude, where have you been?  :pcgs:

Quote from: bonoedgey on 08/02/2014, 12:49 PM...It was a hucard and it looked to be a RPG.. but after that I couldn't tell you much. I know I was very intrigued by it though. I have since went and tried to refresh my memory on videogameden.com.. I believe it may be dungeon explorer.

I know now that china warrior and JJ and Jeff probably don't do it for most and there definitely is way more awesome sauce out there .. but those being different than what I was use to being a Nintendo guy.. are my earliest memories.. I also did like the hucard and the look of the system.. sadly I am now just getting to it after having many other systems between then and now.
A. There aren't too many games for TG-16, if it wasn't DE, Neutopia was probably it.

B. You have plenty of time to catch-up on missed awesomeness from TG-16.

C. China Warrior = JJ & Jeff = FUN.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Ayce

Quote from: ctophil on 07/29/2014, 04:57 PMHi everybody,

When I originally bought Fighting Street I didn't own a TGCD so I would just sit there and listen to the music. Now I've got the soundtrack on my MP3 so I can listen to it whenever I want.

ToyMachine78

Mainly Legendary Axe. It was so colorful, and the backgrounds seemed to have so much depth.  The other was splatterhouse . I loved horror as a kid.

pixeljunkie

Splatterhouse for the original Hu system - Ys 1&2 later for the CDRom, and [whispers] Sherlock Holmes looked rad to me at the time it came out.

csgx1

Bonk's Adventure was the game that sold me.  Played Bonk at a friends house in the early 90s and was instantly hooked. 

Sadly, I bought my own TG16 system but couldn't afford any games, so I was stuck with playing only Keith Courage.   It was not until a few years later I found Bonk's Adventure on clearance for $3.

td741

It took me a while to finally purchase one.

When the duo came out, I had a tax return burning a when in my pocket. I  demoed Wings of Thunder at the store and I purchased it there.

I think that the turbo is the only 16 bit era console that used the CD format right... as in it compensated for the system's weaker points and allowed it's strengths to shine.

bonoedgey

Quote from: esteban on 08/03/2014, 08:16 AMA. There aren't too many games for TG-16, if it wasn't DE, Neutopia was probably it.

B. You have plenty of time to catch-up on missed awesomeness from TG-16.

C. China Warrior = JJ & Jeff = FUN.
LOL  thanks my friend. I will look up the Neutopia. Just to doublecheck.. I have faint memories of what it looked like.. and maybe that will refresh.
thanks for sharing my sentiment with China Warrior and JJ & Jeff.. lol it was a good vibe back then and happy to say they still are fun to me as well.

I am hoping to be able to get some more games pretty soon so I can start relating to the gang here a bit.  I just am going for the most part approx 20yrs or so.. kinda rusty. I do know that I am liking the power of the system. Some games its crazy to think when it came out and what the rest were like (SF2 is pretty nice for what its worth being with the SNES and Genesis in my opinion.. not meant to start a debate just saying its pretty decent)

thanks again, if you have any suggestions of what is good out there I am definitely all ears :)

Nec.Game.head

The game that lead me to wanting a TG16 as a lad was Ninja Spirit. When the day came that I was able to get one I convince my older cousin Frank that was staying with us to buy one. It was an easy task. We were at a Toys R Us and I noticed the price drop to $99.99 and I said look cousin the newest and best system is on sale that's the system we need at home to play !! He replied what games for it are good ? The first game that came to mind was Ninja Spirit.  Lol in Spanish I told him este juego es de un Ninja rete chingon !! Translation This game is about a bad ass Ninja !! That was all it took and that day we came home with a TG16. Till this day it's still my most favorite US HU card game. It has amazing sounding music great game play and it's pretty damn near to Arcade perfect !!
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

munchiaz

For me it was gate of thunder. I didn't have a Turbro grafx as a kid, but i knew of it. Once i got a Nintendo Wii i purchase GOT from the virtual console. After that i started to look into other games, and knew i had to get one.

reson8er

I still remember to this day painstakingly comparing the then new Sega Genesis to the Turbo Grafx. The launch line ups were sparse, but once I saw R-Type running on their demo video (it was not yet released) I was floored. I HAD to have it, the graphics, sounds were so amazing to me, that alone made me want the system. But in my attempt to justify my investment I had to have something else  to play the games that won me over were Legendary Axe and Blazing Lazers. I didn't have enough money at the time to get any games along with the system, so Keith Courage had to hold me over. Let me tell you, it was a rough start. I really didn't care for KC and still don't.  But man, R-Type, man total system seller for me.

just found the video I watched countless times.