PC Engine newbie

Started by HuCARD00845, 11/02/2010, 11:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HuCARD00845

Hello there, this is my first post so please be kind.

I am really new to the PC Engine need some advice from the experts.

I'm looking into buying my first system and think that the best way to go is for the TurboDuo. As far as I know it can play both chip games and CD games. The only games which I think it can't play are the Super Graphics games. If I am correct, would you a white or black TurboDuo and is there any differences between the two?

I live in Japan, so the systems that I am looking at are the Japanese ones. They are about 5,000 yen each without a box which is about 60 US dollars or 35 pounds. I recently came across a small shop that sells the HuCard games without a box from 100 to 300 yen ($3). Is that how much they are normally sold for or are they sold for more?

TurboDuoR-2008102601.jpg
https://vertex.air-nifty.com/photos/dg_photos/2008102601.jpg

I picked up a boxed Bomberman 94 for 300 yen which I was quite happy with. I think it is meant to be one of the best Bomberman games on the system.

If there is anybody else who uses these forms who lives in Japan, do you know how much the PC Engine normally goes for at Hard Off? I don't live very close to one, but might take a trip to one if they have good prices.

Also does anybody have any tips for games to look out for which are pretty awesome?

Frank_fjs

The black Duo is the first revision of the console. It has a headphone jack and is prone to being unreliable and breaking down. The white console is the Duo-R which was the next version of the console. It lost the headphone jack but is much more reliable. There was also a Duo-RX which is pretty much the same as a Duo-R except it came bundled with a 6 button controller.

The Duo's will play all HuCard games except the Super Grafx ones. It also plays all CD games barring the Arcade CD games, to play these you will need an Arcade Duo HuCard which provides the system with the necessary extra RAM that it requires for the Arcade games.

Bomberman '94 is heaps of fun, especially multiplayer.

By the way, welcome. :)

HuCARD00845

wow, that was a fast response.

Thank you very much for the advice. I think I will go for the white system. By any chance do you know if the Arcade Duo HuCards are quite expensive?

Thanks for welcoming me to the forms :D

Tatsujin

I live in japan too and those 5000 yens for the DUO-R above is a very good price. I would snag it immediately if I were you. So where do you live? I do not recognize the label of that recycle shop you shot that picture. And since when du you live here? :)

HOs normally are very try and error, since they do not have loads of PCE hardware in stock (except for some dirty losey cores or controllers in the junk box for 200~500 yens).

Sure I have found lose DUOs for 1000 yens in HOs but those are excpetions. I have also found CIBler DUO-R & RX for 2000 yens in other recycle stores. But it needs time and patience to dig such hauls.

Welcome aboard :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

nectarsis

Quote from: Tatsujin on 11/02/2010, 12:30 PMI live in japan too and those 5000 yens for the DUO-R above is a very good price. I would snag it immediately if I were you. So where do you live? I do not recognize the label of that recycle shop you shot that picture. And since when du you live here? :)

HOs normally are very try and error, since they do not have loads of PCE hardware in stock (except for some dirty losey cores or controllers in the junk box for 200~500 yens).

Sure I have found lose DUOs for 1000 yens in HOs but those are excpetions. I have also found CIBler DUO-R & RX for 2000 yens in other recycle stores. But it needs time and patience to dig such hauls.

*teh HO master joins teh game*

welcome to teh site Hu :)
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

Ceti Alpha

Welcome to the forum! :)

As said above, your best bet is to go with the Duo-R or the Duo-RX.
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

NecroPhile

Welcome aboard the crazy train.  Woo-woo!

P.S. - Screw you peeps and your sweet Hard Off deals!  :P
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

henrycsc

LOL Nect!  Maybe the quote might be "I would buy it if I find the shop first."

Welcome aboard Hucard!  Some games can be worth way more than the prices you mention, and some even less (in Japan) - just depends on the game and the condition.  But to be honest - those prices are way below what any of us in the USA can get most PCE games for, so we would all buy them up!

Quote from: nectarsis on 11/02/2010, 12:33 PM
Quote from: Tatsujin on 11/02/2010, 12:30 PMI live in japan too and those 5000 yens for the DUO-R above is a very good price. I would snag it immediately if I were you. So where do you live? I do not recognize the label of that recycle shop you shot that picture. And since when du you live here? :)

*teh HO master joins teh game*

welcome to teh site Hu :)
Wanted:
Bootleg Hucards (Hong Kong, China)
Third Party Hardware (US, Japan, China, Europe, Korea)
Canadian Boxes and Manuals (French text)
Ton's of Trades available - just PM me.

rag-time4

Keep in mind that the Japanese PC-Engine family can not play American Turbochip games without a converter or modification. CD games are region free.

ccovell

Don't forget to visit Hard-Off's homepage to search for stores in your area.  Do the prefecture/area search, deselect baby, mode, and book-offs, and zoom out on any of the shop maps to see other surrounding HOs.

I actually did a little walking trip from Minami-Urawa station yesterday to get some exercise and visit a Hard-Off.  Nothing much there (though there was a Duo-RX for pretty cheap.) but they did have a box with about 2 dozen PC-Engine games, even Hu-Cards in cases.  Unfortunately, they were almost all sports shit (Power Leagues, Fire Pro Wrestlings, etc.)  Blah.

I think the people of the world ought to pack all the used sports videogames into a rocket and fire it into the sun -- it'd virtually eliminate the clutter in 2nd hand shops.

BlueBMW

Quote from: ccovell on 11/02/2010, 07:29 PMI think the people of the world ought to pack all the used sports videogames into a rocket and fire it into the sun -- it'd virtually eliminate the clutter in 2nd hand shops.
But keep the hucard cases for us to re-purpose for other looslers! :P
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Mathius

Quote from: BlueBMW on 11/02/2010, 08:36 PM
Quote from: ccovell on 11/02/2010, 07:29 PMI think the people of the world ought to pack all the used sports videogames into a rocket and fire it into the sun -- it'd virtually eliminate the clutter in 2nd hand shops.
But keep the hucard cases for us to re-purpose for other looslers! :P
That's what I was going to say. :lol:

Welcome to teh forums! Snag you that Duo-r and start from there. There are lots of other routes to take, but you need that starting off point. Very good deal! :)

Arkhan Asylum

that looks like a nice duo.    I'd buy it if I were you
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Colossus1574

Wow, you're living in the home of the PCEngine eh? cool.
Welcome!
man, that's like 3 new members in what....today!?

HuCARD00845

Thanks for welcoming me welcome aboard guys!

Thanks for the advice Tatsujin. To be honest I didn't take the picture in my opening post, I wanted to make my post look more interesting, so I found a picture of the same model PC Engine that I saw at a shop in Osaka. Funnily enough the picture that I found is even cheaper than the one I saw.

I recently saw a black DUO-R for 8,000 yen and a Core Graphics (Orange and Black) for 8,000 yen. I think that that one for 5,000 yen must be a good price and I will try to buy it next week. Have you ever been to Super Potato? I would like to go one day, but not sure if they have a lot of PC Engine games.

That pcedaisakusen.net website is pretty interesting. By the way, what is your favourite game on the system?

Yeah, I agree with you ccovell. I'm not a big fan of those sports games either. When looking for Dreamcast games I nearly always come across some of those crappy wresting games.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: HuCARD00845 on 11/03/2010, 09:05 AMCore Graphics (Orange and Black)
Grafx!  :)

please don't do that.  It hurts.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

henrycsc

Core Grafx = Dark Gray w Blue Logo

Core Grafx II = Lighter Gray w Orange Logo
Wanted:
Bootleg Hucards (Hong Kong, China)
Third Party Hardware (US, Japan, China, Europe, Korea)
Canadian Boxes and Manuals (French text)
Ton's of Trades available - just PM me.

turbogrfxfan

"Is everyone from jersey a trolling douche?"

HuCARD00845

Hi guys,

Well today I went off to that shop armed with the advice you all gave me. I pointed out the system for 5,000 yen and sadly got told that it has no cables with it  :o You guys were right in thinking that it was a bargain.

Just wondering, do you know what sort of cable the DUO system uses? Would another cable for a different console work for it, or is it a special cable just for that system?

If I could get a cable form somewhere I might pick it up before Nect beats me to it.

Tatsujin

The cable is a DIN 5-pol, but it is a very NEC customized cable. So unless you can't find a deticated cable (in hard off junk cable boxes etc.), you will be kinda lost. Sure you also may check the super potato in denden town, but they will charge you like extra 3000 yens for it for sure.

Super potato has walls of pc games, but as any other retro-only shop who deals with that stuff for a living, isn't the most cheap one. but still, if you like to get the good stuff and you wanna get it right now, this is your place.
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

HuCARD00845

Thanks for the advice Tasujin. I think I might leave it for now. I will try to go to Hard Off later on and dig out a PC Engine.

You wouldn't happen to know of any good used video game shops or hard off type shops in Osaka, Shiga or Kyoto would you  :)

NecroPhile

If you don't find good cables for cheap at a H.O. (or for those of us without the option), replacement av cables are available from fellow member pcenginesales, reportedly of great quality.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Tatsujin

Quote from: HuCARD00845 on 11/04/2010, 10:21 AMYou wouldn't happen to know of any good used video game shops or hard off type shops in Osaka, Shiga or Kyoto would you  :)
Sorry I wouldn't, since I'm from kantou and I have never been to any game-shops in kansai :(

Anyway wish you good luck :)

Frank_fjs

Quote from: guest on 11/04/2010, 10:50 AMIf you don't find good cables for cheap at a H.O. (or for those of us without the option), replacement av cables are available from fellow member pcenginesales, reportedly of great quality.
I can vouch for the quality of her cables. I didn't realise she was a member here! I bought some RGB cables (Mega Drive, Neo Geo etc) from her eBay store, hands down the best that I've come across. Quality construction and the best picture quality I've seen. Much better than other RGB cables that I've bought. I won't purchase cables from anyone else now.

HuCARD00845

Thanks for the tips  =D&gt;

Just wondering, would a standard PC Engine cable be the same as the DUO-R cable? If so, I think I could pick up an old PC Engine (White one) for about 2,000 yen and would be able to use that cable for the DUO-R.

Frank_fjs

No, the white PC Engine console only has RF out. The Core Grafx and Core Grafx II have AV out and this cable is the same as the Duo.

HuCARD00845

Ahh, alright. Thanks for the info. Maybe if I see a cheap Core Grafx I might get it.

Mathius

Quote from: guest on 11/04/2010, 10:50 AMIf you don't find good cables for cheap at a H.O. (or for those of us without the option), replacement av cables are available from fellow member pcenginesales, reportedly of great quality.
I have been a member here for a while and I never knew about her. I'll check it out too. :)

Edit: Looks like I have bought from her before. Last year I got one of her Sega Mega Drive stereo cables. I still use it. :D

1980-20..

QuoteI have been a member here for a while and I never knew about her. I'll check it out too. :)

Edit: Looks like I have bought from her before. Last year I got one of her Sega Mega Drive stereo cables. I still use it. :D
Snap. I bought one of those too. I think she based not to far from where i live.

Firebomber7

Quote from: ccovell on 11/02/2010, 07:29 PMI actually did a little walking trip from Minami-Urawa station yesterday to get some exercise and visit a Hard-Off.  Nothing much there (though there was a Duo-RX for pretty cheap.) but they did have a box with about 2 dozen PC-Engine games, even Hu-Cards in cases.  Unfortunately, they were almost all sports shit (Power Leagues, Fire Pro Wrestlings, etc.)  Blah.
That's because I have raped that Hard-Off regularly for about 4 years (second floor with a parking lot underneath, a KFC next to it and a lot of car dealerships on the road... I know it well!).  It's only about a 15-20 minute bike ride from my house (in Warabi/Kawaguchi)!  There are actually five Hard-Offs within an hour or 1.5 hours bike ride from there that I know of (seven if you count Higashi Tokorozawa and Fujimino, but those always took me over 2 hours to get to on my bike... Kawagoe Hard-Off is about 2.5-3 hours... I was hardcore!  If you can make it to Tsuragashima, Iruma or Kuki Hard-Offs on bike from Minami Urawa... you are completely insane).

Got a CIB AES system there in awesome condition for 5000yen.  Got my first CIB Duo there as well, I think it was also 5000yen.  Found a loose Duo there for 1000yen once, which was pretty sweet.  Do they still have those couple CIB 3DO systems on the edge of the isle?  I bought a couple, but there was also a couple left.  They were pretty good deals, actually.  Maybe 2000-3000 each?  Also got a Mega Drive 1 with a Master System Converter there for 2000yen, and picked up some pretty decent SMS games to go with it (Space Harrier, After Burner, a couple Alex Kidd games, etc.).  That was sweet.

Did you pick up the Duo-RX?
IMG
IMG
IMG
Wants:
-region/s-video modded PC Engine Duo w/Arcade Card at www. multimods .com
-region modded Super Grafx
-region modded PC Engine original
-PC-FX w/Zenki, Zeroigar, Chip-Chan, Battle Heat, Der Langrisser FX

Will this complete me?

Arkhan Asylum

Those cables are legit.  I have purchased from there in the past.

get some

HuCARD00845

Quote from: HuCARD00845 on 11/04/2010, 10:21 AMThanks for the advice Tasujin. I think I might leave it for now. I will try to go to Hard Off later on and dig out a PC Engine.

You wouldn't happen to know of any good used video game shops or hard off type shops in Osaka, Shiga or Kyoto would you  :)
Quote from: Firebomber7 on 11/04/2010, 10:34 PM
Quote from: ccovell on 11/02/2010, 07:29 PMI actually did a little walking trip from Minami-Urawa station yesterday to get some exercise and visit a Hard-Off.  Nothing much there (though there was a Duo-RX for pretty cheap.) but they did have a box with about 2 dozen PC-Engine games, even Hu-Cards in cases.  Unfortunately, they were almost all sports shit (Power Leagues, Fire Pro Wrestlings, etc.)  Blah.
That's because I have raped that Hard-Off regularly for about 4 years (second floor with a parking lot underneath, a KFC next to it and a lot of car dealerships on the road... I know it well!).  It's only about a 15-20 minute bike ride from my house (in Warabi/Kawaguchi)!  There are actually five Hard-Offs within an hour or 1.5 hours bike ride from there that I know of (seven if you count Higashi Tokorozawa and Fujimino, but those always took me over 2 hours to get to on my bike... Kawagoe Hard-Off is about 2.5-3 hours... I was hardcore!  If you can make it to Tsuragashima, Iruma or Kuki Hard-Offs on bike from Minami Urawa... you are completely insane).

Got a CIB AES system there in awesome condition for 5000yen.  Got my first CIB Duo there as well, I think it was also 5000yen.  Found a loose Duo there for 1000yen once, which was pretty sweet.  Do they still have those couple CIB 3DO systems on the edge of the isle?  I bought a couple, but there was also a couple left.  They were pretty good deals, actually.  Maybe 2000-3000 each?  Also got a Mega Drive 1 with a Master System Converter there for 2000yen, and picked up some pretty decent SMS games to go with it (Space Harrier, After Burner, a couple Alex Kidd games, etc.).  That was sweet.

Did you pick up the Duo-RX?

I still haven't picked up that Duo-rx but plan to this week. I found a shop that sells the cables for 400 yen. I just hope it is still there. I can never find enough time to go there will all my over-time.  :-({|= Japan is a wonderful country to live in, but a 9 till 5 job is quite hard to come by.  If I pick it up I will let you all know.

Just wondering have you been to the Super Potato in Osaka, and is it quite close to Umeda?

Firebomber7

Quote from: HuCARD00845 on 11/08/2010, 07:30 AMI still haven't picked up that Duo-rx but plan to this week. I found a shop that sells the cables for 400 yen. I just hope it is still there. I can never find enough time to go there will all my over-time.  :-({|= Japan is a wonderful country to live in, but a 9 till 5 job is quite hard to come by.  If I pick it up I will let you all know.

Just wondering have you been to the Super Potato in Osaka, and is it quite close to Umeda?
PCE cables for 400yen isn't bad.  They can be hard to find sometimes.

I've never been game shopping in Osaka.  I'd say it is very safe to guess that it is located in Den-Den Town.  By the way that you're asking if it's "close to Umeda", I'm guessing you really don't know much at all about Osaka.  Just look up where Den-Den Town is on the metro system if you're planning to be in Osaka.  I think it's at Namba station, if I remember right.  Just get on the Circle Line at Umeda and I think Namba is on one of the lines that goes through Tennoji Station.  I haven't been to Osaka in a couple years, so my memory might be fuzzy.  I don't even remember the exact train line.
IMG
IMG
IMG
Wants:
-region/s-video modded PC Engine Duo w/Arcade Card at www. multimods .com
-region modded Super Grafx
-region modded PC Engine original
-PC-FX w/Zenki, Zeroigar, Chip-Chan, Battle Heat, Der Langrisser FX

Will this complete me?

blueraven

I've worked with pcenginesales before, her cables are better quality than OEM, and very reasonably priced.

I recommend her for them exclusively.

Buy that Duo.

Welcome to the board.

Rainbow_Bright

Welcome O:), that duo is only 35 pounds? My gosh, what a deal. I wonder is there any chance you or anyone else who lives in Japan can pick me some stuff up?

Frank_fjs

Quote from: rainbow on 11/09/2010, 09:21 AMI wonder is there any chance you or anyone else who lives in Japan can pick me some stuff up?
They probably could but the shipping always kills the price.

Rainbow_Bright

Quote from: Frank_fjs on 11/09/2010, 09:26 AM
Quote from: rainbow on 11/09/2010, 09:21 AMI wonder is there any chance you or anyone else who lives in Japan can pick me some stuff up?
They probably could but the shipping always kills the price.
I don't mind shipping, I have to pay it on ebay or whatever anyway.

HuCARD00845

If you are getting things sent to you from Japan to the UK, you can send it quite cheaply with their SAL service. EMS (there quick service) claims to have insurance if a box goes missing, but I recently found out that this isn't applicable for the UK and there is no insurance. The SAL service takes about 1 week later, but is more than half the price in some cases.

Frank_fjs

Check rates here: http://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/charge/list/parcel3_en.html#

Compare shipping types here: http://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/service/dispatch/index_en.html

I have a lot of stuff sent over to me from Japan (to Australia).

EMS is not only fast but 100% reliable. I use this for expensive/heavy items (such as consoles) or items that I really care about.

Registered Airmail doesn't take much longer and is a little cheaper than EMS. Plus you still get tracking and insurance. I use this for smaller packages (such as games).

SAL is slower than both EMS and Airmail and offers no tracking or insurance. I've had items go missing before via SAL but never with EMS or Airmail. I don't use SAL anymore.

There's also surface mail, which is damn cheap but it takes months for your item to arrive, if at all.

Arkhan Asylum

Bite the bullet and get EMS for anything that is a console.  If its games, and not alot of them... try registered airmail. 

you want your consoles and stuff on the fastplane to yay-ville though.

I paid 200$ to ship a boxed MSX and boxed accessories and games.  I paid on a monday.  on wednesday I was playing games on it.