PC Engine Homebrew News: The duo that brought you FX-Unit Yuki returns! A demo for "Nyanja!" is available, an action platformer akin to games like Bubble Bobble & Snow Bros in gameplay style.
Main Menu

Pier Solar may be released soon?!?

Started by BlackandBlue, 08/24/2010, 05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: nikdog on 12/27/2010, 08:46 PMCan't wait for the 2nd batch.
The digital download will come with a pdf of the boxart to print off and make yourself!

:D
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Duo_R

Ok it is official - 2nd print is now up for grabs. I just placed my order  :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Here is an email that I received:

Quotecontact@piersolar.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To all the fans and supporters of Pier Solar:

This year has been a great year for all of us. We finally finished our work
on Pier Solar and released the long-awaited game. We would like to thank
you all for your support and belief in us throughout the years. We
sincerely hope Pier Solar lives up to your expectation and beyond.

For those who have missed an opportunity to buy a copy of Pier Solar, we
are pleased to let you know that you have another chance to buy a new
version of Pier Solar. It will come in a special Reprint Edition package
and here is everything you need to know about it:

*The game is exactly the same as the original versions. Languages
included are: English, French and German.
   *The box is a original clamshell case similar to those used back in the
day. The design is an homage to the "black grid" layout.
   *The manual, in English, comes in b/w and is shaped in the pure 16-bit
tradition.
   *An awesome sticker sheet is included, so you may have the chance to win
our contest if you order quickly (please see on our homepage:
http://www.piersolar.com/).
   *The price is US$45, including shipping and handling to anywhere in the
world! You can buy it now. Payment is made with PayPal only. We shall be
able to start shipping this "reprint edition" within next 45 days!

There are only a limited number of copies for this new version, so don't
miss your chance.

May you all find peace and joy in the upcoming New Year.

Happy 2011!!

Yours truly,
WaterMelon Development Team

-- Thanks, The Pier Solar Team.
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

nikdog

I'm only gonna order a 2nd print copy if I can't order a warrantee first print. The 2nd print cart is ugly and it doesn't come with a pressed CD.
IMGIMGIMGIMGIMGIMGIMGIMGIMGIMGIMG

TheClash603

I got the second print order in, it looks pretty good to me.

Duo_R

Nik where are the pics of the reprint edition? Is it the cartridge that u think is ugly? Also can someone make me a nice copy of the Enhanced CD?

Arkhan Asylum

Kinda blows it doesn't come with the enhanced CD considering pressing ajillion CDs is fuck-all easy to do...   they should have over-run the CDs if they'd planned on doing more cartridges.   ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

500 CDs was like, 600$. 
1000 CDs was like, 900$ where I went....

Id assume whoever is pressing theres could've done something similar.

I ordered it, since at least its a definite purchase this time.  No ifs/buts/sorry for the delays we swear we're making a game over here.

I wouldn't mind a copy of the CD too if someone would be so kind.  maybe with scans of the disc art, and packaging art.

Oh well.    Everyone lives and learns.  If they do another game, maybe they won't goon up the production part
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

nikdog

IMG
Thats the cart label.
IMG
Box art.

It's the wire grid on the label that I don't like.

They are also kind of being elitist assholes on their forms about the whole reprint thing. "You guys don't deserve the CD or the fancy box art because you didn't wait 6 years and pre-order in 2008 etc etc etc"

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: nikdog on 12/31/2010, 07:33 PMThey are also kind of being elitist assholes on their forms about the whole reprint thing. "You guys don't deserve the CD or the fancy box art because you didn't wait 6 years and pre-order in 2008 etc etc etc"
*note, all quotes here are from Pier Solar team members

"If you want the audio disc, go back in time and pre-order the first edition or just head over to eBay and cough up the cash."

Sorry that's some horse shit right there.  Apparently, the lack of the CD in run #2 was kept under wraps, like most of the news about the game during its development.   So people that held off for print 2 got hosed.
I know for a fact pressing a shit load of CDs is no problem.  Pressing houses ENCOURAGE you to press a ton, as opposed to a little.  Its easier for them.  Dicking off with the process for a low run isn't as great for them.

"CD do not fit easily the plastic cases and its too complex to produce."
Lol.  You can put a CD in a paper sleeve and stick it in a sega box.  I just did it right here with the Insanity soundtrack disc.  Oh, they even fit in the cardboard boxes.  Castlevania Bloodlines and Altered Beast were used to test this.   So, its easy to press CDs, and they fit in the boxes.  I don't get it.  What is the problem.

Why is run #2 more expensive than run #1, and comes with less things?  That makes no sense.  Is this them trying to compensate for losing $$ since stuff was hocked onto eBay for rediculous amounts? 

Thats what happens when you don't produce enough the first time.   desperation and demand = eBay hilarity.  I'm sure given their tone, saying "thats what we should have charged for the game" , they're really pissed off that they pulled what 35$ a copy for the game and then take out mfg costs and dividing it between the entire team...., and it's going on eBay for WAY MORE. 

They should have kept up with demand.  If you know you're selling at least the preorders (since you already have the $$), and you know more than the preorderers want the game....... MAKE MORE THAN YOU NEED. Duh.

Apparently they have the means to produce more, so why not just do it all the first time instead of doing "preorders only, take the leap of faith, we swear a games being made, its coming".  They knew they didn't have enough the first time, but planned on a second run?  Uhhhhhhhhhhh.  Its like forward thinking, without actually doing it.

Its kind of common sense, people are leery about giving money to people they don't know and then basically being told wait a bunch of years, itll get made.  Abandoned projects are all over the place.  People are cautious.

Its like they treat the preorder people as actual deserving fans, and the rest of the people as pissants that don't actually matter.

nikdog

Quote from: clessy
Quote from: Electricb7I just hope we can get the same treatment the first time buyers got. I want the fancy packaging and poster.
Art book plz
I honestly don't think you guys deserve it. You guys didn't wait 6 years for the game.
You also didn't invest your money to make the games production possible.
This honestly the opinion for almost everybody on the forums. If you pre-ordered you think that anyone who didn't doesn't deserve the full game. If you waited like Arkhan and I because:
Quote22:46:43 Arkhan: i wasnt gonna give [them] $30 for an unsure thing
22:46:51 Nik: i know
22:46:59 Nik: which is why i never got to it
22:47:21 Nik: i kept thinking, "i've got better things to spend $30 on"
22:47:25 Arkhan: yeah me too
22:47:30 Arkhan: i bought fucking sweet pants
You are left out in the dust, being made to pay more for less or nothing at all. I'm sorry we were skeptical in an actual release of anything, but that doesn't mean you can treat the people who waited to buy at release like shit.

Quote from: Mr. NeilGood thing I got a pre-order edition, then! :D
Quote from: ZebbeYeah. Your two years of waiting paid off in the end, I hope.
Quote from: AaronNot if you were expecting the same package. -.- Ugh. :(
This poor guy was waiting for the release, but has also been screwed.

"If you want the audio disc, go back in time and pre-order the first edition or just head over to eBay and cough up the cash. A LOT of things happened during the two years of pre-orders. People paid their price of waiting so long with their money on our account. Now, the game is released and you can safely get a copy of the new run in February, but the price is higher. The exclusion of the enhanced soundtrack disc has many reasons, but some things must be kept confidential for the company." -Zebbe, Game Designer

"If you guys didn't keep all this top secret I'd understand, I could have ordered the Japanese and European versions when I found out, but I thought it would be in the 2nd run like it should be. You shouldn't be so secretive and leave customers in the dark, thats how you lose trust. Just advice for the future." -Aaron, Poor Guy Screwed because he waited.

Arkhan Asylum

I can see the buy at releasers missing out on the poster, or some other little freebie gimmick, like how I did those lightscribe soundtracks....

but to give them less of a game, and charge more, thats just retarded. 

Joe Redifer

I think that comment that you quoted, Arkhan, is supposed to be a joke.  Watermelon doesn't mind if you copy the CD and use it with the reprint.  In fact, reports are that CD-Rs are working a bit more reliably than the pressed disc.  WM claims the issue is with faulty CD lasers, but I think they just had a bad pressing that makes it kind of hard for some units to read well.  They've been getting inundated with complaints on the issue and CD-Rs are usually the solution.  I'll be happy to make a copy of the disc and upload an ISO or whatever.  The game is exactly the same.  There is no "less game".  I like the clamshell and the black grid design.

If the packaging was the same as the original run, people who pre-ordered and waited years would bitch and whine like you guys are doing now.  Watermelon simply cannot win.  Hell, I may just buy myself a reprint as well.  At least you're getting the game.  It's no more expensive than Super Fighter Team's games, includes more and is a better game than anything they've released thus far.  But please, continue to feel the victim.

FYI the original run of Pier Solar was over 2400 copies. 800 for each "region" design.

nikdog

At this point I don't care about the CD as much. I just want regioned art and a colour manual.

Joe Redifer

I can't believe the art and manual matter so much.  They are nice to have but by no means a deal-breaker.  Give people more options and they complain when some are taken away.  Don't give people any options (like SFT) and people never complain.

Duo_R

I just care about the game. Hopefully someone copies one for me soon and I will make a nice label for it.

nikdog

It's just part of the gaming experience for me

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 12/31/2010, 10:20 PMI think that comment that you quoted, Arkhan, is supposed to be a joke.  Watermelon doesn't mind if you copy the CD and use it with the reprint.  In fact, reports are that CD-Rs are working a bit more reliably than the pressed disc.  WM claims the issue is with faulty CD lasers, but I think they just had a bad pressing that makes it kind of hard for some units to read well.  They've been getting inundated with complaints on the issue and CD-Rs are usually the solution.  I'll be happy to make a copy of the disc and upload an ISO or whatever.  The game is exactly the same.  There is no "less game".  I like the clamshell and the black grid design.
Given the tone of everything else thats been said, I don't really know.  It sounds like they wanted to be verbally pleasured all around upon release and are getting crabby about the displeased feelings and problems people are having.

As for less game, "enhanced CD" being omitted = less game to me, especially since it costs an extra like 10$ to get print #2.... I don't mind the sticker difference, but the b/w manual kinda blows.  Maybe I'll color mine myself.

I still don't get the "its hard to make CDs" and "its hard to put them in cases" part.  Its not hard to do either of these things.

QuoteIf the packaging was the same as the original run, people who pre-ordered and waited years would bitch and whine like you guys are doing now.  Watermelon simply cannot win.  Hell, I may just buy myself a reprint as well.  At least you're getting the game.  It's no more expensive than Super Fighter Team's games, includes more and is a better game than anything they've released thus far.  But please, continue to feel the victim.
But, I don't see how throwing the 35$ up and waiting for years for what may have possibly been a disaster/unfinished project entitles those people to entirely different packaging and the "you shoulda preordered, you didnt so you don't deserve it" attitude.  I can see the free poster gimmick and crap like that for the preorderers.....  and maybe the lack of a CD for second prints as another kickass bonus... but thats still a stretch.

If they had said WHEN WE DO A SECOND RUN WE WILL BE DOING DIFFERENT PACKAGING/CRAP, AND NO MORE CD'S... that would have been a nice heads up to people holding out for a sure thing, and maybe would've helped people decide better.

straight up changing the labeling and everything seems like more work really. same for the color manual, etc.  Adding more to the first wave of printing seems like it would have been a much simpler process.  Overshoot the initial wave, and have enough for a second run later.....

QuoteFYI the original run of Pier Solar was over 2400 copies. 800 for each "region" design.
So they couldn't spring for 600 more CDs to go to an even 3000 and have spares to either give out with the second print, or to sell off separately at some point in the future?  Where I pressed CDs, going from that kind of amount to 3000 would've cost like no more than like 300$.... and it would result in less complaining.

Still confused as to how they decided on charging more for the second print and offer an inferior package.  Really strange.  Maybe the first run was costly, they didn't make enough $$ and found a different method for run 2 thats faster/cheaper/gets them some $$ since theyre probably mad the games going on ebay for insane prices? I dunno.

It seems like a last minute solution to shut up everyone who missed out. :)  Like they weren't planning on doing any more prints or something

OldRover

I think I'd still buy it, even at the higher price and sans CD. Although, I personally would have felt much more confident if the game had been on CD to begin with, rather than a cart... the overall price would have been lower, and they could have really made great use of the extra capabilities of the Mega CD hardware. The game looks like it really does some good things with the original hardware, but you do eventually reach some ceilings that the additional hardware can help get past. Doing additional runs as a CD would have been a hell of a lot easier as well, and would alleviate a lot of the drama currently going on with the 2nd run. Just my 2c.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Arkhan Asylum

yeah, I agree it would've been cooler/easier to just do a CD game from the get go.  CD homebrew is super-easy to make!  So easy an obnoxious 21 year old assclown can do it!   :dance:

I bought run #2, I just think its kinda shitty how run #2 turned out. 

BlueBMW

I just ordered one of these second print copies.... anyone care to share the enhanced CD iso or MP3 files? :P
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

nikdog

Quote from: BlueBMW on 01/01/2011, 12:50 AMI just ordered one of these second print copies.... anyone care to share the enhanced CD iso or MP3 files? :P
I think as people actually get the first print it's gonna pop up all over.

Duo_R

I am just glad they didn't delete the support for the CD in the 2nd print. That would have sucked.

Arkhan Asylum

Yeah that would have been a nice kick to the pills, lol.

Mathius

Joe, what program would I use to rip the Enhanced CD to a CD-R? I tried Windows Media Player but only 3 tracks showed up. I didn't even try to burn it thinking that I needed to use a different program. You gotta excuse me as I am slightly computer illiterate. :mrgreen:

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Mathius on 01/01/2011, 01:17 AMJoe, what program would I use to rip the Enhanced CD to a CD-R? I tried Windows Media Player but only 3 tracks showed up. I didn't even try to burn it thinking that I needed to use a different program. You gotta excuse me as I am slightly computer illiterate. :mrgreen:
ALCOHOL 120%!

or, CDRwin if you're insane.

Arkhan Asylum

IMG

How does that CD not fit in a clam or cardboard box? 

I mean I already know it DOES fit, but if its <manual size, and that fits in the case....

duhrp

Joe Redifer

The CD cannot fit into a standard size MD clamshell case.  And that is what the second run is.  The CD obviously fits in a cardboard box because there it is in the image you posted.

The CD is not an audio CD.  It is a weird CD with streaming audio which runs through the Mega/Sega CD PCM chips.  It also has extra crap on there if you put it into your PC or whatever.  The three audio tracks are something else.  I will not do an ISO + MP3 even if it were an audio CD as I would never compromise the audio into MP3 form like some asshole.  Instead I will do a full ISO, uncompressed all the way and as one image.  I don't know what program on Windows I'll use.  Maybe Nero.  But I'm sure someone will beat me to it, so we'll see.

As to the people who were waiting for the "sure thing" I still don't see the mega-unfairness that seems to be the issue here.  The the package is different, cry me a river!  You don't get a pressed CD?  Like I said, it should be easy to download a fully working ISO image and burn your own CD-R which will have better reliability than the actual pressed disc.  I guess people will whine no matter what.  "Waaaa, they didn't make enough for everybody who wants it.  Oh wait, they're making more?  Oh shit.  What do I complain about now?  Waaaa it's not exactly the same as what everyone else got!"

And Arkhan, I know Zebbe and I know he wasn't doling out an official company statement with that line you quoted.  More than likely he was frustrated by those such as yourself who were complaining over the little things they felt entitled to.  I always knew Pier Solar was a sure thing since I know a lot of the guys who made it.  And if it was to never be, they would have refunded.  These are good peeps.  They are making the game available to those who want it.  The CD will not be hard to acquire.  Next to no Genesis manuals were in color.  It's the same price as an SFT game.  No reason to whine!  I just don't get it.  Oh, and CD games are super easy to pirate, that's why the game is not on CD.  Also, not everybody has a CD unit.  Everyone in the Turbo community has a CD unit because you NEED one to get most of the good games, but the MD platform is the opposite.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/01/2011, 03:01 AMThe CD cannot fit into a standard size MD clamshell case.  And that is what the second run is.  The CD obviously fits in a cardboard box because there it is in the image you posted.
Yes it can.  I'm sitting right here staring at a CD in paper sleeve sitting in a closed Altered Beast clamshell.  I already said that.  It fits in a castlevania bloodlines cardboard box too. No problemo. 

QuoteAs to the people who were waiting for the "sure thing" I still don't see the mega-unfairness that seems to be the issue here.  The the package is different, cry me a river!  You don't get a pressed CD?  Like I said, it should be easy to download a fully working ISO image and burn your own CD-R which will have better reliability than the actual pressed disc.  I guess people will whine no matter what.  "Waaaa, they didn't make enough for everybody who wants it.  Oh wait, they're making more?  Oh shit.  What do I complain about now?  Waaaa it's not exactly the same as what everyone else got!"
Well, it is kinda bogus that they charge more and don't give the CD or the color manual.  Were already not getting the poster.  Did they give a serious reason as to why they didn't make the reprint as nice?

What sucks is, there was never a "release" copy.  It went from preorder to reprint.  Its a definite step down in comparison, for more money.  That's pretty complain-worthy.  We may not be entitled to the color manual, but we should be entitled to the CD, since it was a big bragging point for a long time.  It was kind of an expected part of the game.  CDs aren't hard to make, yes.  So why the shortage?

That's all I want to know.   It's going to get posted up and CD-R'd for sure, but still, why the shortage?  It should've been no big deal to overproduce and stock up on the CDs.

QuoteAnd Arkhan, I know Zebbe and I know he wasn't doling out an official company statement with that line you quoted.  More than likely he was frustrated by those such as yourself who were complaining over the little things they felt entitled to.  I always knew Pier Solar was a sure thing since I know a lot of the guys who made it.  And if it was to never be, they would have refunded.  These are good peeps.  They are making the game available to those who want it.  The CD will not be hard to acquire.  Next to no Genesis manuals were in color.  It's the same price as an SFT game.  No reason to whine!  I just don't get it.  Oh, and CD games are super easy to pirate, that's why the game is not on CD.  Also, not everybody has a CD unit.  Everyone in the Turbo community has a CD unit because you NEED one to get most of the good games, but the MD platform is the opposite.
Not everyone is buddy buddy with the team, and so not everyones going to be willing to take blind leaps of faith especially with how preordering seems to work in the homebrew world..  Its a simple fact, people don't trust people they don't know.  I'm sure they are good peeps, but not everyone is that relaxed.

I don't see this as whining... since I, and others all gladly forked over the 45$ for the new run and can't wait to get it and play it.   I just think it sucks the way the second print run turned out, with no really good reason why.  Everyone seems disappointed. 

I think there would be less complaining if there was a good reason as to why.... and maybe if the preorderers weren't being such twats about it.

YOU DIDN'T FORK THE MONEY OVER AND WAIT 6 YEARS, SO YOU DON'T DESERVE IT.

GET A TIME MACHINE! GO REWRITE HISTORY! GO BUY ONE ON EBAY, THATS WHAT WE SHOULDVE CHARGED FOR IT!1!!1

I'm pretty sure a "We're sorry the 2nd run is different and here are good reasons why, etc. etc."  would solve alot of the problem.

if 35$ a pop invested by the 2400 preorderers covered the fancyass copy, wtf are they doing charging 45$ to reprint a plain version.  That's what I really seriously want to know. 

They said they weren't in this for a profit, so whats the deal?

Arkhan Asylum

Im sorry I just had to post this

Quote from: Clessy at Pier Solar forumTo all you whinny noobie douche bags.

You're out of your fucking mind.

Fonzie live in fucking China for a year without a job using his own saved money to make this game a reality.

The pre order money didnt even cover the full cost of production.

People where allowed to buy multiple copies because they deseperately need money for devolopment. Assholes doutbed it would come out and didnt wanna waste $35. As if 35 dollar even matters.

Half you shits didnt just find out about it. You where the ones who where to scared to put some faith in them in the first place and now your punished.

$45? A rip off? Get real it comes with free world wide shipping? 45 is still a break even cost.

Think of Bagger Prince and Legend of Wu Kong. Those games suck compared to this and didnst cost nearly as much to make. They are $55 plus shipping.

Get you shit together new guys and realize these basics.

1) They dont owe you shit
2) You dont deserve shit
3) If you dont like it you dont have to buy it
4) They still arent making shit for profit off this game

This is what all the devolopers wanna tell you but wont say.
That's some str8 hood shit right there.  Bagger Prince sounds like a grocery store RPG.

and then
Quote from: 108 Starsand it was mentioned numerous times and agreed on by the team that if there was a second run it would be not as full of extras.
AS FULL OF EXTRAS.

It's not full of any extras unless you count stickers.  Oh boy.

One would assume extras would mean the reprint is no poster+stickers.  Those are what seems "extra" in all honesty.

Oh well.

I'd register and say this crap over there, but it's kinda lame to make a new forum account just to fuel the fire.  They'll stumble across this stuff over here eventually.  Someones bound to go HEY THEY'RE COMPLAINING AT PCEFX.

So far the reasons given are "tough shit, shoulda preordered" and "we didnt want to"

Quote from: 108 StarsI´d like to see any other team sharing info with the customers as we do.
*waves*  :dance:

TheClash603

It seems the CD didn't work, the developers are a little ashamed that the most flaunted part of the production is broke, and that is why they are not including it.  Cart sound is better anyway to me.

They tried and fucked up, so now we move on.  This seems pretty obvious to me, and the lack of reason is they don't want to admit they goofed.

Joe Redifer

There is no CD shortage.  In case you missed it earlier in my post, the pressed CD doesn't work so well and CD-Rs work better.  The CD works, but not well in all machines.  In case you missed those last two sentences, I can post it again.  There is no shortage.

Here is the ISO (not from me):

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=T47VTT2X

Now stop it. 

Also, Arkhan, your game is nowhere near the level of Pier Solar.  How many people even know about it?  I visit these forums every day and I barely even know about it.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/01/2011, 12:30 PMThere is no CD shortage.  In case you missed it earlier in my post, the pressed CD doesn't work so well and CD-Rs work better.  The CD works, but not well in all machines.  In case you missed those last two sentences, I can post it again.  There is no shortage.
So they have the CDs, they're just not including them since they're broken?   and charging more?  Ok then.

QuoteAlso, Arkhan, your game is nowhere near the level of Pier Solar.  How many people even know about it?  I visit these forums every day and I barely even know about it.
Thank you captain obvious.

Thats because you don't pay attention too much I don't think.  You missed out on free Insanity's.

Also, gimme 6 years and a huge team and I'm sure Insanity would have been a bigger, different, better game.

Its a 1 man college project turned finished game, done in <12 months.  Wtf were you expecting.  That was a really pointless jab.

At least I tackled the PSG beast, damn well.

Duo_R

Ark did u ever get my PM about insanity? Love to check it out.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Duo_R on 01/01/2011, 03:54 PMArk did u ever get my PM about insanity? Love to check it out.
yeah! no worries, is coming.

Joe Redifer

QuoteYou missed out on free Insanity's.
No I didn't, you said you'd send me one!

QuoteThat was a really pointless jab.
If it was a pointless jab, then it was pointless to compare yourself to them.

QuoteSo they have the CDs, they're just not including them since they're broken?
Would you like a broken CD?

Quoteand charging more?
I really don't have much of a response to this and I can understand the reason for this particular complaint.  However it has been continuously said that Pier Solar was being sold AT COST.  In fact I imagine they overran their costs a bit.  This may be an attempt to make up for it and gain actual funds to make another game.

Also, ignore the user Clessy or whatever his name is on the Pier Solar boards.  Even I think he is a self-important a-hole.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/01/2011, 04:09 PMNo I didn't, you said you'd send me one!
Yeah.  I know. But, you missed the first huge LOL FREEBIE post/stuff, lol.   and then you were like HEY GIMME FREE GAME sarcastically, not even realizing I already had, to like 15 people, haha :)

QuoteIf it was a pointless jab, then it was pointless to compare yourself to them.
Comparing the games themselves was not done.  Comparing the smoothness/turn out of publishing was, sort of.   It's fuckall easy to press CDs, and it sucks they got a bad batch.   They were flaunting their shit for awhile, so I really expected better, I guess.  Quality wise, I guess they outdid SFT, but as far as meeting their boasting, I think they kinda slipped up.   They should get with their presser and bitch about it.  If the master disc worked fine and the pressed ones don't, they should be entitled to a rerun, or a refund of pressing costs.

I basically did a "do it out of my garage" and peddle it at conventions sort of thing and it turned out just fine.  They got the cart part down great, and botched the simple as hell part. 

QuoteWould you like a broken CD?
Yes, actually.  Considering they're charging 10 extra dollars and not even packing them into a case they will fit into.   It'd be nice to at least have the artwork, even if the CD is broken/dodgy.  WTF do they have to lose?  Coasters for their workspace?

QuoteI really don't have much of a response to this and I can understand the reason for this particular complaint.  However it has been continuously said that Pier Solar was being sold AT COST.  In fact I imagine they overran their costs a bit.  This may be an attempt to make up for it and gain actual funds to make another game.

Also, ignore the user Clessy or whatever his name is on the Pier Solar boards.  Even I think he is a self-important a-hole.
Well if it's being sold AT COST, and the new run is less quality, sans CD, even if they kept the price at 35$, they'd be making extra money, right?

and yeah, Clessy is a huge bag o dicks, and should really stop.

Its kind of funny now that you look at it.

The preorder dicks are like

YOU DONT DESERVE THE BROKEN CD, WE WAITED 6 YEARS SO ONLY WE DESERVE THE BROKEN CD.

:D

If the CDs werent gimpy, is it safe to assume they WOULD have been packed into the reprint, and wed just be missing out on the colored manual, and poster?

Joe Redifer

Fonzie is kind of dodging the issue a bit since the CDs work fine on some machines and not on others.  He blames the machine.  I agree with him that if a machine is in 100% perfect working order, the CD will probably work fine.  But if there is even the slightest miscalibration or whatever, you may experience dodgy effects.  I don't think he wants to admit that he has a bad batch.  The CDs are authored in such a way that the title screen track is on the outside of the disc which is hardest to read and also the first screen where anyone will encounter problems.  I also don't think he has a bunch of spare CDs laying around.  A few (or a few dozen), probably, but not hundreds.  He has said on the Pier Solar boards a few times that there will be A LOT of complaints with the discs not working and my guess is not including them is his way of fixing things since he seems conviced the hardware is 100% at fault.  I don't know where he had them pressed.  He is French and the game was manufactured in China.  The discs were probably pressed abroad.  Where was Insanity pressed?  In the US?

If the discs hadn't been gimpy, would have have included them in the reprint?  Good question.  I would think so since that was a major bragging point for them for this whole time.  At least they are keeping the ability there.  I think the CDs would have worked more reliably if they went with redbook audio instead of seeking and streaming PCM.

I am curious how the plastic clamshell box will turn out.  I was disappointed in the cardboard release as I much prefer the plastic box.  I almost want to buy a reprint for the box, but that seems kind of stupid especially when I have a nice color laser printer and a few sports games that cost $1 or so at Goodwill I can sacrifice.

Arkhan Asylum

I pressed my stuff in Texas.  They were really professional about it.  The delivered a good product, as anyone with the game can attest to.

I mailed one master disc, they said it had a slight imperfection so I sent 10 more and said pick the best one. They said okie dokie,

and a week later 500 Insanity's showed up at my house.

It seems like there is a mixed opinion about the CDs,  The pompous preorderers (Clessy) seem to think THEYRE NOT GIVING YOU IT BECAUSE YOU DON'T DESERVE IT, ONLY WE TRUELY DESERVE IT......and then theres the people who are like "no, the CD is broken so we aren't bothering to ship them again".

Alot of what has been going around is, "the reprint doesn't have the CD, so maybe you should have preordered it.  We knew the reprint wouldn't come with a bunch of extras.   The CD is ENHANCED, so it doesn't really need to be there for the game.  It's an extra feature"

Well if that's truly the case, they shouldn't have bragged and hyped that point for the past couple of years.  The should have expressed that it is optional, and any additional runs may not include the CD

The CD's DO fit in clamshells though.  So it'd be great if they would just come out and say look, our disc is dodgy.  Our bad.

Then, post the ISO themselves on their site and let people make their own.

That's what I woulda done if Insanity showed up fucked up and couldn't get a repress.

They need to just come out with an official statement about the reprint.  Explain the 10$ price increase with lesser quality packaging, and explain the CD mixup.   Do it right out in the open to shut up all the whining, speculating, and people like Clessy speaking for them and making them look like a bunch of cockpumps

termis

I gotta say, I don't understand the whining either.  I totally side with developers on this one.  I mean, it's true - they DON'T owe anyone anything, especially when it's done pro bono.  If they never wanted to manufacture a second batch, well then, so be it.  People are whining and saying they don't want to buy the second batch because of the things not included in the first batch (WHATEVER the extras may be -- that's for the developers to determine - whether it be part of a game/packaging)... well, the preorder folks are the ones who gave up their money first -- you should know about all this very well, Ark.

To be clear, I'm not ordering either batch, as I no longer buy/collect Genesis carts.

All that said, this ordeal definitely could've gone smoother, and there's something to be learned here for homebrew folks.
1) Only take preorders JUST before you go into pressing/manufacturing so you don't get into these delays.
2) You do need to give incentives for those who cough up the cash first, but not enough of it that the folks who didn't preorder/misssed out won't order the second batch. 
3) Do something so that you can easily circumvent people from ebaying the first batch to make a profit off your work.

Mathius

Termis, you should really at least try the game out if there is an XBOx Live release. It really is truly spectacular. All I was disappointed with was the lack of color (I thought there would be more ooohs and ahhhs), and the small sprites.

Clessy really does need to think before he opens his mouth. He is a somewhat cool guy about 1/4 of the time though.

As for the whole picture I think this will be a great learning experience for any homebrew projects in the works. Many mistakes were made, but there is just as many lessons learned.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: termis on 01/01/2011, 07:22 PMI gotta say, I don't understand the whining either.  I totally side with developers on this one.  I mean, it's true - they DON'T owe anyone anything, especially when it's done pro bono.  If they never wanted to manufacture a second batch, well then, so be it.  People are whining and saying they don't want to buy the second batch because of the things not included in the first batch (WHATEVER the extras may be -- that's for the developers to determine - whether it be part of a game/packaging)... well, the preorder folks are the ones who gave up their money first -- you should know about all this very well, Ark.
Yeah the thing of it is, they flaunted their CD feature as the biggest showcase.  So to not include it in print 2, along with a downgraded quality booklet, for TEN EXTRA BUCKS, really does suck.  Mix in the tone that is mostly being given, and yeah it definitely sucks.  They need to give concrete reasons for what they've done on print 2 instead of just saying "tough shit".

Why no CD?  Is it because you don't want the print2 people to have it, or is it really just because the CD didn't come out right, and you don't want to deal with it
Why 10$ more?  Is this to turn a bit of profit since people are doing this on eBay with copies?  If it was sold at cost, the new print can't possibly cost more.  It's less quality, and no CD.  A 35$ pricetag for print 2 should still be profiting them.

The no poster, I get.  That and the color manual, or the stickers being omitted in print 2 would be a nice way of saying heres print 2, you don't get posters/stickers because you didn't preorder.  Those are the kind of extra preorder incentives the entire world is used to.  Goony little gimmicks that don't have anything to do with the actual game experience.   I gave out lightscribed soundtracks.  That's it. They look cool, have the tunes on it, and if you didn't get one, oh well.  Burn a copy off your friend!  Rip it out of the game disc itself.  :)

I'm not really ticked beyond belief about print 2.  A b&w manual is fine, and I prefer the clamshell also.  Who cares about the poster, someones going to scan it and ill just kinko's my own poster.  I still get the stickers. 
The lack of CD sucks, but if its because theyre really just badprints, OK then.   I'd still like one for posterity.

They need to just EXPLAIN wtfs up.

the 10$ price increase though, yeah thats pretty lame.  I don't like that part.

QuoteAll that said, this ordeal definitely could've gone smoother, and there's something to be learned here for homebrew folks.
1) Only take preorders JUST before you go into pressing/manufacturing so you don't get into these delays.
2) You do need to give incentives for those who cough up the cash first, but not enough of it that the folks who didn't preorder/misssed out won't order the second batch. 
3) Do something so that you can easily circumvent people from ebaying the first batch to make a profit off your work.
Done, Done, and Done.

:dance:

Emerald Rocker

I paid money for Insanity, and now I find out a bunch of people got it for free.

Boy, I feel ripped off.
Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

BlueBMW

Quote from: Emerald Rocker on 01/01/2011, 08:33 PMI paid money for Insanity, and now I find out a bunch of people got it for free.

Boy, I feel ripped off.
I paid $45 twice for two copies of sapphire.... then some goon gave a bunch away for free.... wtf!? :lol:
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Emerald Rocker on 01/01/2011, 08:33 PMI paid money for Insanity, and now I find out a bunch of people got it for free.

Boy, I feel ripped off.
you paid 25$ for a promo CCAG copy to review it back before I even lowered the pressed release price, or started giving them away for free.

Do you want a free one?  I don't think you ever got a white case copy.  Just say the word, lol  I know you'll just get it and make fun of it with your pals, but its cool.  You can do what you want with it!  Use as a coaster!

Throw it at a wall!  Sell it on ebay !  I dont care :)

I know you're trying to troll since that's your favorite PCEFX passtime, but you DO fall under the criteria of "PCEFX forum member who didn't get one yet", so.....

termis

Quote from: guest on 01/01/2011, 08:03 PM
Quote from: termis on 01/01/2011, 07:22 PMI gotta say, I don't understand the whining either.  I totally side with developers on this one.  I mean, it's true - they DON'T owe anyone anything, especially when it's done pro bono.  If they never wanted to manufacture a second batch, well then, so be it.  People are whining and saying they don't want to buy the second batch because of the things not included in the first batch (WHATEVER the extras may be -- that's for the developers to determine - whether it be part of a game/packaging)... well, the preorder folks are the ones who gave up their money first -- you should know about all this very well, Ark.
Yeah the thing of it is, they flaunted their CD feature as the biggest showcase.  So to not include it in print 2, along with a downgraded quality booklet, for TEN EXTRA BUCKS, really does suck.  Mix in the tone that is mostly being given, and yeah it definitely sucks.  They need to give concrete reasons for what they've done on print 2 instead of just saying "tough shit".

Why no CD?  Is it because you don't want the print2 people to have it, or is it really just because the CD didn't come out right, and you don't want to deal with it
Why 10$ more?  Is this to turn a bit of profit since people are doing this on eBay with copies?  If it was sold at cost, the new print can't possibly cost more.  It's less quality, and no CD.  A 35$ pricetag for print 2 should still be profiting them.

The no poster, I get.  That and the color manual, or the stickers being omitted in print 2 would be a nice way of saying heres print 2, you don't get posters/stickers because you didn't preorder.  Those are the kind of extra preorder incentives the entire world is used to.  Goony little gimmicks that don't have anything to do with the actual game experience.   I gave out lightscribed soundtracks.  That's it. They look cool, have the tunes on it, and if you didn't get one, oh well.  Burn a copy off your friend!  Rip it out of the game disc itself.  :)

I'm not really ticked beyond belief about print 2.  A b&w manual is fine, and I prefer the clamshell also.  Who cares about the poster, someones going to scan it and ill just kinko's my own poster.  I still get the stickers. 
The lack of CD sucks, but if its because theyre really just badprints, OK then.   I'd still like one for posterity.

They need to just EXPLAIN wtfs up.

the 10$ price increase though, yeah thats pretty lame.  I don't like that part.

QuoteAll that said, this ordeal definitely could've gone smoother, and there's something to be learned here for homebrew folks.
Done, Done, and Done.

:dance:
I dunno, the lower price for preorder version makes good sense to me.  Think about it this way -- you know those 3 learning points I put up for homebrewers above?  Well, a lower price just for the preorder version easily takes care of points #2 and #3.  The lower price entices people to put their money up for manufacturing costs, and rewards them with a lower game cost for the faith that they put in to the developers. 

I don't know if that's actually the case for Pier Solar, but you know what, you can consider doing something like that for your next release.   Besides, EVEN IF they're releasing the 2nd batch for profit, bottom line is, it's their prerogative.

And though Emerald has a bit of a sharp tongue, he does have a point.  Perhaps you just want to start clearing some of your extra stock, and you'd rather have people have your work than not, even if it means no extra $$ for you.  That's mighty cool of you and all, but can/will irk some people that paid good money for it (especially those who paid for "regular" editions) -- Think about a way to make it to these folks that paid $$$ if you're giving copies away now - perhaps a small discount for later releases?  And continuing on that, for the arcade release, why not price it at a much lower point where you can clear stock without having to give shitloads of copies away later?  That'd be a win-win situation for all involved.

TheClash603

I paid for a copy of Insanity, and I got to participate in the contest because of it.  Although I didn't get the soundtrack, but I'll live.

I assume Arkhan will blow me if we ever meet?

ParanoiaDragon

On a slightly different topic, ...am I the only one here that hasn't received there Genesis version yet?  I don't recall seeing a tracking number in any of my emails, did anyone else get a number to track? :-k
IMG

Mathius

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 01/02/2011, 01:14 AMOn a slightly different topic, ...am I the only one here that hasn't received there Genesis version yet?  I don't recall seeing a tracking number in any of my emails, did anyone else get a number to track? :-k
No I don't believe that they are tracking them. I am sure your copy will arrive soon. :)

Joe Redifer

Paranoia Dragon, I have not received mine yet, either.  I think quite a few US people haven't.

Anyway, a lot of stuff here has been posted since I last visited, but I'm not going to address or even read everything.

QuoteThe CD's DO fit in clamshells though.
A naked disc without a sleeve BARELY fits in the case.   Put a standard paper sleeve on it and it will not fit.  You'd have to get a damn tiny sleeve.

Quotepost the ISO themselves on their site and let people make their own.
I doubt they want to pay for all of the bandwidth.  Plus, they'd have to have different versions for different programs.  In my experience, an ISO created with TOAST may not burn properly on Nero or Discjuggler or whathaveyou.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: termis on 01/01/2011, 11:35 PMI dunno, the lower price for preorder version makes good sense to me.  Think about it this way -- you know those 3 learning points I put up for homebrewers above?  Well, a lower price just for the preorder version easily takes care of points #2 and #3.  The lower price entices people to put their money up for manufacturing costs, and rewards them with a lower game cost for the faith that they put in to the developers. 
I don't think that was really the case though.  This would be a good point if some of the first wave was available post-preorder also, for say, 45$. These weren't preorders per se.  These were the whole stock, buy in advance. 

QuoteI don't know if that's actually the case for Pier Solar, but you know what, you can consider doing something like that for your next release.   Besides, EVEN IF they're releasing the 2nd batch for profit, bottom line is, it's their prerogative.
Yeah, it is their prerogative. Its just kinda bleh.  If they were at cost the first time at 35, and this one has less cost than the first, upping it an extra 10$ is a nice punch to peoples faces.   Yeah they can do it, it just looks kinda lame since they were all WERE NOT DOING IT FOR PROFIT.

It seems like the ebay shenanigans have changed their mind about that.

The only reason I threw my shit up on eBay is because of Roy being a jackass.  People I've never heard of (ie not PCEFXers) emailed me asking wtf was going on.  It wasn't even to "profit".  It was to stop people from being duped by a retard.

That and, the real copies are up now because apparently some people don't go to here, and have nfi you can just buy the game off my site.

QuoteAnd though Emerald has a bit of a sharp tongue, he does have a point.  Perhaps you just want to start clearing some of your extra stock, and you'd rather have people have your work than not, even if it means no extra $$ for you.  That's mighty cool of you and all, but can/will irk some people that paid good money for it (especially those who paid for "regular" editions) -- Think about a way to make it to these folks that paid $$$ if you're giving copies away now - perhaps a small discount for later releases?  And continuing on that, for the arcade release, why not price it at a much lower point where you can clear stock without having to give shitloads of copies away later?  That'd be a win-win situation for all involved.
Well, I gave alot of free ones away to the contest people,and anyone on PCEFX who asked post-RoyVegas retardation.  Consider it a PCEFX perk.   To those who BOUGHT it here, most of you were preorderers and got your special incentive one w/ soundtrack.  If anyone on here is really that irked, let me know, and we can figure something out.... though I really doubt the PCEFX crew is going to be like WTF, DICK.

and uh, I believe you were the one who suggested/agreed on the 30$ price point, lol.

I have some ideas in store for the Retrocade, I really do.  Awesome ideas.

I know who preordered/bought stuff, its all on record.  So we will see what happens. 

I'm not getting rid of the Insanity's to clear the stock out.  The stack of boxes makes a nice end table, so i'd hate to see it go.   Some people just really wanted to play the game and were like DANG MAN I CANT AFFORD IT, and to be honest, the PCEFX forum here is too legit to not hook people up, especially when we get shafted constantly.

Joe Redifer

QuoteThis would be a good point if some of the first wave was available post-preorder also, for say, 45$.
The posterity edition preordered for $50, I believe.  That gets your name in the game and a box that says "posterity edition" underneath the cart.  That's it, I believe.