Pier Solar may be released soon?!?

Started by BlackandBlue, 08/24/2010, 05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/02/2011, 02:01 AMA naked disc without a sleeve BARELY fits in the case.   Put a standard paper sleeve on it and it will not fit.  You'd have to get a damn tiny sleeve.
/img2052.jpg

The paper sleeve fits and is pinched nicely by the clamshell, I left it in for awhile, it doesn't fold the sleeve.

Works fine to me.  I'm kinda glad I found this out!

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/02/2011, 02:35 AM
QuoteThis would be a good point if some of the first wave was available post-preorder also, for say, 45$.
The posterity edition preordered for $50, I believe.  That gets your name in the game and a box that says "posterity edition" underneath the cart.  That's it, I believe.
Oh yeah I forgot about that one.  So that one is the actual real incentive, the 35$ one was the real game, and whats coming in February is the we done goof'd edition?

Something like that?
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Mathius

I think maybe WM is just trying to break even with the $45 price tag for the 2nd run. Like Joe and others said the WM crew used a lot of out of pocket money just to get this thing done. I like to see it as us giving a little back for the gift that they gave us. I have no qualms with doing just that. WM gave me the gift of being 13 years old again, and I hope that when all the dust settles you guys will be blessed with the same feeling.

Joe Redifer

Fonzie said the game ended up being more expensive to produce than expected.

http://www.piersolar.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1526

And Arkhan, your photos show what I found out as well.  I don't think it is a good fit, seems pretty ghetto, but whatever.

Arkhan Asylum

theyre bein kinda crabby/sketchy about why the hell theyre doing shit though. 

well, they were like 12 hours ago, I dunno wtf theyre doing now, and dont really care anymore at this point.  I'll get my ghettoFab edition in February, and see if the games even any good.

wouldnt that suck if after all this the game is friggin garbage?

I hope its not.  I really do.  Im sort of pretending its a Lunar 2 sequel.  Anyone else doing that?
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Joe Redifer

Everybody has been saying that the game is a piece of shit and they can't even find the ambition to press START at the title screen the first time they turn it on.  It is rumored that there isn't even anything beyond the title screen.  But it is a Genesis game, it is SUPPOSED to be garbage!

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/02/2011, 03:00 AMEverybody has been saying that the game is a piece of shit and they can't even find the ambition to press START at the title screen the first time they turn it on.  It is rumored that there isn't even anything beyond the title screen.  But it is a Genesis game, it is SUPPOSED to be garbage!
dang, its that bad?

at least it isnt as shitty as that one Berzerk clone.

:)

termis

Quote from: guest on 01/02/2011, 02:12 AMand uh, I believe you were the one who suggested/agreed on the 30$ price point, lol.
Nah, dude.  You got me mixed up with someone else (as far as *suggesting* $30).  I know the thread you're talking about -- I suggested the preorder way of doing things, but never a particular price point - look it up.  :)  To be completely honest, I thought your the initial price was on the high end for a mostly 1-man homebrew effort, but that's *one* consumer's opinion.  I tried hinting to you that I believed some of the suggested sums were on the high end by telling you that the pricing opinions of most on that thread were for people who were ready & willing to pay a high sum -- the supportive community members, and you should take that into account when pricing for the *general* community, but maybe the hint didn't quite get there. :)

Now you have experience at your price point and how much volume that moves, so you can use that info for the Retrocade release.

Quote from: guest on 01/02/2011, 02:12 AMI'm not getting rid of the Insanity's to clear the stock out.  The stack of boxes makes a nice end table, so i'd hate to see it go.   Some people just really wanted to play the game and were like DANG MAN I CANT AFFORD IT, and to be honest, the PCEFX forum here is too legit to not hook people up, especially when we get shafted constantly.
Don't get me wrong, like I said, it's mighty cool of you to develop, publish, and then even share your copies of work.  I don't think anyone can deny that's awesome generous of you.  I'm just saying how *some* humans generally react in situations like this (Emerald being one -- I know you don't think much of him, but if one person is a bit annoyed, others can certainly feel the same way).

Arkhan Asylum

ah, well, SOMEONE suggested 30, so I went with it, lol.

Now its 25 (shipped) , so 20$! (Domestic).  Its like 30$ shipped international.

As for Emerald, eh hes just trollin' as usual.  He approached all coolface.jpg asking for a review copy for his site, so I sold him a CCAG one.  He got one of the copies valued at like, 200$!  whats he complaining about! He's got a goldmine sittin under him.

:D

OldRover

/trolls.jpg

I'm not really following the drama of this one for now but it looks interesting anyways. It doesn't matter what you do, you're always gonna have haters and whiners. Nothing you can really do about it except ignore them, because engaging them is always fruitless... even if you're to remedy that which they're hating and whining about, they will simply come up with something new to hate and whine about. Maybe WM is going the right route by keeping things on the low for now and not engaging the wall of noise.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Emerald Rocker

My point is that times change, offers change, and there are a lot of ways to look at things.  The people who supported Pier Solar from the start got a better deal.  Did the people who supported Insanity from the start get a better deal?

Arkhan's complaints sound like sour grapes, just as it would sound like sour grapes if I were seriously complaining about having paid money for Insanity.  Every game eventually goes down in price; if I'm bitter about anything, it's about spending $60 on Tekken 6.

30 for a guy's first homebrew Turbo game, I'm cool with that.  35, 45, or even 60 for a homebrew Genesis cart -- I'm cool with that, too.  What I'm not cool with is being called "anti-homebrew" and then reading the stuff I'm reading in this thread.  Arkhan, I can understand being skeptical about something after years of delay.  But now you know Pier Solar exists and now you know that you'll get yours, so how about letting the copies get out the door before you complain?  Look at your posts -- is this what you would want to read about your own games, especially if you had lost money on the project?  Communication is great, but would you really feel like you owed an explanation to people who hadn't ponied up for a pre-order?

Save the drama for people who don't deliver.
Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Emerald Rocker on 01/02/2011, 05:05 PMMy point is that times change, offers change, and there are a lot of ways to look at things.  The people who supported Pier Solar from the start got a better deal.  Did the people who supported Insanity from the start get a better deal?
No, the people who paid for Insanity preorders got a CD and a scribble on the case, kinda like when you preorder a game at gamestop and get some goony meaningless little doodad to stick on a shelf, as incentive to help out.  Its like a nice little gesture.  "Hey you helped get things rolling, heres a light scribed soundtrack!" 

QuoteArkhan's complaints sound like sour grapes, just as it would sound like sour grapes if I were seriously complaining about having paid money for Insanity.  Every game eventually goes down in price; if I'm bitter about anything, it's about spending $60 on Tekken 6.
Nah its not really sour grapes, its more like "wtf!".  The CD was the big centerpiece of the games bragging, and the second print doesn't have it, and it costs more.  Its kinda rare for a game to go UP in price on the second print, especially since it comes with less stuff.   If the second print cost the same, (seeing as it costs less to print run 2), and wasn't all fancy, no big deal.  I don't think there'd be alot of pissing and moaning. 

Since we're now pretty aware the CD is borked, I can see why it isn't coming.  I still wouldn't mind having a borked CD just to look at.  I bet the art looks nice on the disc.  So print 2's lack of CD isn't really a huge miss-out for anyone.  We miss out on a broken CD.  I think EVERYONE might as well piss and moan about that part, even the developers.  They should seriously give the pressing house hell.  It sounds like a shitty press.  Wasn't it pressed in China?  That would explain alot.

Quote30 for a guy's first homebrew Turbo game, I'm cool with that.  35, 45, or even 60 for a homebrew Genesis cart -- I'm cool with that, too.  What I'm not cool with is being called "anti-homebrew" and then reading the stuff I'm reading in this thread. 
Nah you havent been called anti homebrew, just anti PCE homebrew for whatever reason... unless you troll all the homebrew scenes the same way, lol.

Remember your 8pack mega shooter thread? :) hah.

QuoteArkhan, I can understand being skeptical about something after years of delay.  But now you know Pier Solar exists and now you know that you'll get yours, so how about letting the copies get out the door before you complain?  Look at your posts -- is this what you would want to read about your own games, especially if you had lost money on the project?  Communication is great, but would you really feel like you owed an explanation to people who hadn't ponied up for a pre-order?
Its got nothing to do with the game itself.  I bet the game rules.  Its the packaging/delivery of everything.  I wouldn't want to read this about my stuff, so that's why I'd make sure it doesn't happen.  I'm too OCD/careful about that crap.  I tested a bunch of the arrived Insanity discs out on 3 different machines and emulators to make sure it worked.  I just randomly grabbed ones from various boxes that they arrived in to make sure the pressing went right. 

I beat the game myself before I shipped any out.

If there was this much dissent, yeah, I would owe an explanation.  That's how it works.  You don't leave the potential players of the game in the dark just because they didn't fork out preorder money first.  Every potential players opinion matters, even if its not positive.  They'd deserve straight answers as to what the hells going on, and why its going on.  If you're not doing it for the players of the game, who the hell are you doing it for?  If its for yourself, you wouldn't make 2400 copies and send them to people.

Whats going on with PS, is a bunch of conflicting/sketchy statements from various team members.  If it were me, I'd just come out and explain the lack of CD even if its me admitting I fucked up (Or, the pressing house, as the case may be), and explaining why the second print isn't as fancy, and why the cost went up.  There has to be SOME sort of explanation, so what is it?

"You didn't pay for the preorder, so tough shit, go get a time machine", is not an explanation.  its rude dismissal of the problem.

Id prefer

"The CD is broken, so we aren't doing that again.   Maybe we'll get the CD repressed and offer it in the future.  The first print was too costly since it was fancy looking.  We lost personal funds in the process, so we are doing a cheaper second run that is standard, rather than over the top quality.  The price increase is to help recuperate, and its still on par with every other genesis homebrew"

or something, over

"YOU DONT DESERVE ANYTHING. YOURE LUCKY WERE EVEN DOING PRINT 2.  IF YOU WANT THE FANCY ONE, GO ON EBAY , THATS WHAT YOU SHOULDA PAID.  GET A TIME MACHINE, GO PREORDER IT.  STOP WHINING"

It wouldn't take much to clear the air.

OldRover

Hrm... I actually expected a lot more "industry buzz" about this game but a lot of indie sites are seemingly absent from comment (or even news of the release), and the few reviews I've read thus far don't say a whole heck of a lot of positive things about the game as a whole. I get kind of a "this is a run of the mill RPG" vibe from people who've written reviews. About the only thing I've seen that is consistently positive is the variation of the environments... screenshots I've seen seem to back this up.

It seems that what's happening here is something of a hype effect. WM hyped the game up long before release, basically making it out to be the killer app that the Mark V has always needed. The fans pushed the hype further (this always happens, for better or for worse). What happens is that this creates an artificial level of expectation that no one can fulfill no matter how hard they try... people are going to wish it was "just a little better", and the detractors will take this and grind it down to "the worst game ever". People will then pick apart anything the original developers/publishers say and use it on 'their side' of debates, which ultimately prove and accomplish nothing except to waste everyone's time when they could be just playing it and enjoying it for what it is... a game.
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Arkhan Asylum

I havent heard anything bad about the game itself, just the publication-shenanigans.

The game looks pretty damn good.  I cant wait to get my overpriced standard quality game in February complete with burned CD.

Joe Redifer

Actually, the preorders were underpriced since they lost money on them.

OldRover

I haven't read anything specifically bad, just nothing particularly good. The general feel is that of "meh"... it's a pretty-looking game that feels average. I saw a couple of people on the neo-geo forum citing gameplay issues, but you gotta take what people there say with a grain of salt, especially when they're not specific about what those issues are.

Joe Redifer

It's definitely not as good as the RPGs on the Neo Geo, so it is no wonder they are not impressed.  :)

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/03/2011, 07:32 PMActually, the preorders were underpriced since they lost money on them.
ahhh... well I wonder why they said they were being sold at cost and weren't trying to profit, lol.

Good game makers, bad marketers, methinks

Mathius

I have been avoiding reviews just to get my own feel of the game. What I can definitely say is that it's the best RPG that I have ever played on the 'Ol Genesis. I know that isn't saying a whole lot, but I am damned impressed.

Arkhan Asylum

how would you compare it to PS2 and PSIV?

Also the best RPG on the Genesis is Super Hydlide, :)  Go play it

OldRover

I don't suppose being the best RPG on the Genesis is much to ask for considering the low number of RPGs the system got. :D Being the best RPG on the SNES or the PCE... now there's a goal to shoot for. :) I mean honestly, what are you up against? PS4, Lunar, Landstalker... anything else?

Super Hydlide isn't much dude, sorry. It just has a few interesting concepts to it, but as a game, isn't really all that remarkable.

Duo_R

Both Lunars and Vay are two of my favs
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

OldRover

Vay gets a lot of heat for being unremarkable but at least it's fun and doesn't have a lot of forced grinding. Lunar TSS is definitely the quintessential Genesis RPG.

Mathius

As much as I have tried I never could get into PSII or PSIV unfortunately. I do enjoy Lunar SSS though. But, the only one I have played is the Playstation version.

OldRover

The Playstation version is *nothing* like the Sega CD version. At least not for Silver Star... dunno about Eternal Blue, since I returned the Playstation version to the store after only playing it for 10 minutes, and that was 10 minutes of pure suck... never got to try the Genesis version though.

Duo_R

Loved Lunar Eternal Blue, never cared to finish the PSX version although the packaging was nice.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: The Old Rover on 01/04/2011, 12:24 AMSuper Hydlide isn't much dude, sorry. It just has a few interesting concepts to it, but as a game, isn't really all that remarkable.
youre crazy. the games fucking awesome.  You go into SPACE!    I dunno everyone gives the game flack and I dunno why.  Its got alot to it.

OldRover

Some people like some games better than others. Deal with it. :P hehe

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: The Old Rover on 01/04/2011, 04:45 AMSome people like some games better than others. Deal with it. :P hehe
shhhhhh!

TheClash603

I recently picked up Virtual Hydlide for the Saturn, and that game is...  hmmm..

Joe Redifer

Quotewell I wonder why they said they were being sold at cost and weren't trying to profit
Probably because they underestimated the cost.  I imagine that inflation also occurred since it had been so long.  :)

As far as Genesis RPGs go, Phantasy Star 2 was good, Phantasy Star IV was friggin' awesome!  Lunar Silver Star was good and Lunar Eternal Blue was friggin' awesome!  To be honest, I didn't like ANY of the SNES Final Fantasys (or any from that series in general).  I played through Super Hydlide mainly because of the awesome soundtrack, but I did not like how I walked super slow if I had too much money or whatever.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/04/2011, 12:57 PMI played through Super Hydlide mainly because of the awesome soundtrack, but I did not like how I walked super slow if I had too much money or whatever.
Thats what the coin exchanger is for, and the bank, lol.

what adventurer needs to walk around with 23923040234 gold anyway, :D

I liked how you had to sleep at night, not carry too much shit, and not shank good creatures. 

and yeah, the soundtrack to that game is easily like my favorite Genesis soundtrack.  They rock the FM so hard.

nikdog

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/04/2011, 12:57 PM
Quotewell I wonder why they said they were being sold at cost and weren't trying to profit
Probably because they underestimated the cost.  I imagine that inflation also occurred since it had been so long.  :)
It has been confirmed by the Dev team that it cost way more to produce then the pre-order price.

Quote from: guest on 01/04/2011, 02:12 PMnot shank good creatures.
What Happens if I do?
IMGIMGIMGIMGIMGIMGIMGIMGIMGIMGIMG

Senshi

QuoteIt has been confirmed by the Dev team that it cost way more to produce then the pre-order price.
I would expect a game like Pier Solar to be sold for at least $75 a copy. Especially since it is in a cartridge format which I'm sure is much more difficult than a CD to make, and being made by a small group of people in a relatively small quantity compared to the releases of genesis games in the past.
PSN: Dynastic_Hero
Steam: Dynastic_Hero

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: nikdog on 01/04/2011, 10:04 PMWhat Happens if I do?
You lose morality and become eviler, which has a bad effect on everything you do.

I think even shit at the store costs more money at that point.

lol

nikdog

Quote from: guest on 01/05/2011, 01:27 AM
Quote from: nikdog on 01/04/2011, 10:04 PMWhat Happens if I do?
You lose morality and become eviler, which has a bad effect on everything you do.

I think even shit at the store costs more money at that point.

lol
I'm killing everything I can  :twisted:

Duo_R

DAMN went to download and it is offline. Anyone have a new link?

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/01/2011, 12:30 PMThere is no CD shortage.  In case you missed it earlier in my post, the pressed CD doesn't work so well and CD-Rs work better.  The CD works, but not well in all machines.  In case you missed those last two sentences, I can post it again.  There is no shortage.

Here is the ISO (not from me):

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=T47VTT2X

Now stop it. 

Also, Arkhan, your game is nowhere near the level of Pier Solar.  How many people even know about it?  I visit these forums every day and I barely even know about it.

nikdog

Quote from: Duo_R on 01/06/2011, 06:28 AMnevermind:

http://www.piersolar.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1541
I have an image of the Original CD if you like that instead of the Alternate CD-R version.

Duo_R

nikdog

Uploads: 2 |  Time left: 41 min

Will update when they are done.

Edit:
http://rapidshare.com/files/441132710/PierSolarCD.part1.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/441132685/PierSolarCD.part2.rar

Be sure to burn or mount it now for the extras. Wallpapers, 16 mp3s, Production photos, Alpha, Beta, and Demo roms, Chip tune rom.

Arkhan Asylum

So first they say to share the CD, and now they say its illegal.

Well that answers that question.

Mathius

Quote from: guest on 01/07/2011, 03:16 AMSo first they say to share the CD, and now they say its illegal.

Well that answers that question.
Where did they say this???

Duo_R

So how else am I supposed to get the CD for the game I pre-ordered? lololol

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Duo_R on 01/07/2011, 12:25 PMSo how else am I supposed to get the CD for the game I pre-ordered? lololol
Interesting question.  They were saying all this time on the forums that the CD-R/iso burned copies were working fine, so just use those......

but now, it seems like they've made a new loop hole to not look like they fucked up.... and that is making a NEW CD (that probably wont work either if the use Chang's Speedy Fast Pressing services in good ol China)..

this CD, since it is for Run #2, will omit the extras, thus making the original 2400 preorders happy in the pants once again.  Now they can go YOU GOT YOUR DAMN CD TOO, BUT YOU DONT GET ANY OF THE EXTRAS THAT ONLY PREORDERERS WERE ENTITLED TO.

BTW, DONT COPY THE ORIGINAL CD ANYMORE, ITS ILLEGAL.  IT WAS COOL FOR THE PAST WEEK, BUT DONT DO IT NOW.

Classic really, as that will cost more to press.   If they hadn't changed the disc contents they could just contact the presser and have them reuse the master that was made for batch #1.  This usually involves a lesser pressing price as they aren't having to make a nice fancy master disc, and all of that.

Though maybe that doesn't matter since disc #1 didn't work.   The pressing house still owes them a functional batch, or a refund probably.  Good luck getting that from a place in China.

nikdog

Quote from: guest on 01/07/2011, 01:54 PM
Quote from: Duo_R on 01/07/2011, 12:25 PMSo how else am I supposed to get the CD for the game I pre-ordered? lololol
Interesting question.  They were saying all this time on the forums that the CD-R/iso burned copies were working fine, so just use those......

but now, it seems like they've made a new loop hole to not look like they fucked up.... and that is making a NEW CD (that probably wont work either if the use Chang's Speedy Fast Pressing services in good ol China)..

this CD, since it is for Run #2, will omit the extras, thus making the original 2400 preorders happy in the pants once again.  Now they can go YOU GOT YOUR DAMN CD TOO, BUT YOU DONT GET ANY OF THE EXTRAS THAT ONLY PREORDERERS WERE ENTITLED TO.

BTW, DONT COPY THE ORIGINAL CD ANYMORE, ITS ILLEGAL.  IT WAS COOL FOR THE PAST WEEK, BUT DONT DO IT NOW.

Classic really, as that will cost more to press.   If they hadn't changed the disc contents they could just contact the presser and have them reuse the master that was made for batch #1.  This usually involves a lesser pressing price as they aren't having to make a nice fancy master disc, and all of that.

Though maybe that doesn't matter since disc #1 didn't work.   The pressing house still owes them a functional batch, or a refund probably.  Good luck getting that from a place in China.
The new CD is just a Bin/Cue for download on their site. They aren't pressing.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: nikdog on 01/07/2011, 04:37 PMThe new CD is just a Bin/Cue for download on their site. They aren't pressing.
Oh I misunderstood that they ARE pressing new ones.

lolol so they ripped the bin/cue themselves, took out the extras and said DONT COPY THE GOOD ONE.

wow.

Mathius

Here is a vid by MN12BIRD (cool guy) giving a detailed look at the packaging is any of you are interested.

Joe Redifer

I haven't even looked at the extras on my disc yet.  It started skipping after about 5 seconds so I said "Eff dis" and made a CDR which works perfectly.

One of the team members tells me that perhaps the materials used to make CDs these days are different and can't be read as well by the Sega CD.  Ummm... OK.

Mathius

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/10/2011, 12:55 AMI haven't even looked at the extras on my disc yet.  It started skipping after about 5 seconds so I said "Eff dis" and made a CDR which works perfectly.

One of the team members tells me that perhaps the materials used to make CDs these days are different and can't be read as well by the Sega CD.  Ummm... OK.
Hmm...I am starting to think that they just screwed the disc up and won't admit it. I know some of yous guys have already alluded to that fact, but I trusted them too much I guess. Don't get me wrong, I still love them for what they have done for all of us. I just wish they would be more honest.

ParanoiaDragon

Got mine today, Blast Processing since 1988!!  Awesome  :D
IMG