What games do you love that you think others give short shrift?

Started by spenoza, 02/03/2011, 03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Lilgrafx on 02/06/2011, 01:32 PM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 02/05/2011, 01:41 PMTurrican will always suck. No matter what system it's on.

Game is retarded.

I've never played Turrican for the Turbo but my Brother had super Turrican on the snes and thats a pretty good game. So in your book china warriors a good game but turrican sucks ass? seems a little odd
Turrican's problem with me is the pacing sucks.  It almost looks like a Contra style game, but its not.  I want to take my robotman and run around without stopping, shooting the living piss out of everything.   You can't really do that.  You have to constantly stop, jump around on platforms and look around, dodge the environment (thats not so bad), and such.    It reminds me of the underworld parts of Keith Courage, but still, slower paced.  Keith Courage you can run rampant through the underworld and beat everything senseless. 

The graphics, music, and general atmosphere though, are really awesome.  Especially the music.  I just wish the pacing was faster.  Because its not, I think the game sucks.  I get bored.  By the second or 3rd level and just shut the game off. 

China Warrior on the other hand, has a rhythmic pacing for the entire game, huge as hell sprites that are pretty damn nice looking, nice ancient Chinese power rock chiptunes, and despite what alot of people say, the game has responsive controls.  If you expect to flip the turbob switches on it and just kick repeatedly to win (like Vigilante), of course you're going to go THIS SUCKS.

Once you realize the games rhythmic, and you start doing things like jump kicking all the birds in one hit, and getting lots of oolong tea, youll be like OH DAMN.  This pretty good.

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

OldRover

Turrican just has a lot more strategy than the average braindead run-n-gun. If you try blindly plowing through the game, you're gonna get your ass kicked pretty damn fast. It's simply not that kind of game. I'm probably gonna do a playthru video of the game within the next few days just to show that yeah, it's possible to play through and beat the bastard. :P
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: The Old Rover on 02/06/2011, 05:40 PMTurrican just has a lot more strategy than the average braindead run-n-gun. If you try blindly plowing through the game, you're gonna get your ass kicked pretty damn fast. It's simply not that kind of game. I'm probably gonna do a playthru video of the game within the next few days just to show that yeah, it's possible to play through and beat the bastard. :P
They already have videos showing it being beaten.  It's just boring.  When I have lazers, and I am a robot,  the last thing I plan on is strategy.  I want to run rampant and blow everything up.   

If the game played like Contra with those graphics/music, man, it would be great.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

OldRover

I find Contra games boring so I guess it's just preference.
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: The Old Rover on 02/06/2011, 06:59 PMI find Contra games boring so I guess it's just preference.
I don't like games that aren't fast paced but look like they should be.

It'd be like if Blazing Lazers looked as it does now, but was half as fast, and you had to use strategy to advance as opposed to just reflexes and OMG BLOW IT UP, stuff

turbogrfxfan

Quote from: guest on 02/06/2011, 02:35 PM
Quote from: Lilgrafx on 02/06/2011, 01:32 PM[quote author=guest link=msg=159695 date=129

China Warrior on the other hand, has a rhythmic pacing for the entire game, huge as hell sprites that are pretty damn nice looking, nice ancient Chinese power rock chiptunes, and despite what alot of people say, the game has responsive controls.  If you expect to flip the turbob switches on it and just kick repeatedly to win (like Vigilante), of course you're going to go THIS SUCKS.

Once you realize the games rhythmic, and you start doing things like jump kicking all the birds in one hit, and getting lots of oolong tea, youll be like OH DAMN.  This pretty good.
wow thats a very good point ark.  I am a vigilante fan but i think Im going to give china warrior another shot without the turbo buttons
"Is everyone from jersey a trolling douche?"

Arkhan Asylum

China Warrior would have made an amazing 80s arcade game.  Just like Gladiator.    The skating rink used to have that, its so awesome.

Tatsujin

As stated so many times before. Teh Kung Fu was a great game for its time when it came out (1987). There was nothing like this on no plattform (except arcade) at that time. When I first saw pictures of kung fu, I was sheer blown away and if I actually could have played it at its release, I do not know if I could have survived that.
I liked nothing more than big 2D sprites, and Kung Fu had the biggest of all of em.
The game play may be stupid as hell, but there were a lot of those kind games back then, and most of them brought a lot of fun at the time they came out.
So they probably aged badly, but they still have the great ability to activate your risible muscles, which is worth a lot IMO.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Arkhan Asylum

I played Gladiator again on MAME a bit ago.   The resemblance between the two games is wild.

It almost makes me want to make a similar game.

COMPTON WARRIOR.

oh man.

some Compton city g as the hero, running down the streets of south central, punchin' crips dead., etc.

I need help.

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Tatsujin on 02/06/2011, 11:16 PMLol, in which matter?
I need a compton city g to pose for me so I can digitize them

Do it up sucka.

esteban

I'll go ahead and nominate Order of the Griffon as an under-appreciated game. From an old post:

QuoteOrder of the Griffon is an enjoyable game, IMO. I think you'd be happy with it, especially if you liked the early TSR / SSI games that appeared on various computer platforms back in the day. This HuCard does a decent job of capturing the SSI experience on a console. Also, if you are the least bit interested in D&D, then you have to get Order of the Griffon, since it was the only TG-16 game licensed from SSI.

Quote from: guest on 02/05/2011, 06:40 PMI'd like to point out that the topic of this thread applies to half the games on the TurboGrafx (as for your PCE name droppers: go back to your own forum! ;) )

TurboGrafx games are so low-profile and rarely acknowledged, even among fans like us, that just about EVERY game gets "short shift" unless it falls into one of three categories:
*Games that were sequels or spawned sequels (Bonk/Zonk, GoT/LoT, Bomberman, Splatterhouse, Dungeon Explorer, Neutopia, Ys, the Wonderboy titles, etc)
*The Working Designs catalog (which, again, were mostly games in a series {CF2, Exile1-2, Vasteel 1, Bouble Bobble 3})
*Ports of arcade and PC blockbusters (R-Type, Raiden, Might and Magic...meanwhile, even blockbuster status on other platforms didn't save Chase HQ, Sim Earth, and Loom from TurboGrafx obscurity).

Those are the famous games everyone identifies with the TurboGrafx and runs out and buys right away.

The cool thing about the TurboGrafx is not that it didn't have shitty games - it did - but that it didn't have too many of any particular kind.  The SNES and Genesis were inundated with endless EA sports games, hasty movie licenses, terrible tournament fighters, shitty shooters, and bad beat-em-ups, while the Turbo only got one or two of each.  Furthermore, these shitty Turbo titles are mostly unique and rarely found on the mainstream systems all of our friends were playing, making them easy to adopt as lovable little diamonds-in-the-rough, different than the bargain-bin SNES/Genesis carts we've seen over and over again for twenty years.

The TurboGrafx did get too many shooters, but the hardware is well designed for such games and they tend to be a above par.

So yeah, I might not play a lot of Magical Dinosaur Tour, but I'd be hard pressed to eliminate any one game in the U.S. library.
Word up. :)

Except that Ballistix is still a piece of utter shite.

One of the most-under-appreciated games of all time:

IMG

No, I'm not kidding.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Arkhan Asylum

My biggest complaint with Order of the Griffon is that unlike all the other Goldbox games, you can't create your party entirely from scratch.  You get a doofy cast of adventurers to choose from.

Aside from that, its a kick ass Goldboxer.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 02/05/2011, 06:36 PMThe pack in for NES was Super Mario Bros, and that games not that great when you get right the hell down to it.
Just on a side note. Super Mario Bros, was NOT the original pack in with the NES. The NES originally came with Gyromite and Duck Hunt. It was the later Control Deck that came with Super Mario Bros, then eventually the Action Set with the Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt combo cart. Then eventually other bundles.

As much as people complain about Keith Courage, it's more playable than a lot of other pack-ins. And at various points Bonk was packed in.
--DragonmasterDan

CrackTiger

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 02/07/2011, 10:35 AM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 02/05/2011, 06:36 PMThe pack in for NES was Super Mario Bros, and that games not that great when you get right the hell down to it.
Just on a side note. Super Mario Bros, was NOT the original pack in with the NES. The NES originally came with Gyromite and Duck Hunt. It was the later Control Deck that came with Super Mario Bros, then eventually the Action Set with the Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt combo cart. Then eventually other bundles.

As much as people complain about Keith Courage, it's more playable than a lot of other pack-ins. And at various points Bonk was packed in.
How about Ys I & II, Gate of Thunder, Bonk'Adventure, Bonk's Revenge, Bomberman and Ninja Spirit as pack-in software? Has anything ever come close to this level of awesomeness?

It was also the second official pack-in set. Bonk was just tossed in to a regular TG-16 set and a sticker was sometimes slapped on the box, as a free game deal. So the seven game set is more or less the Turbo equivelant of the SMB pack-in.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 02/07/2011, 10:48 AMHow about Ys I & II, Gate of Thunder, Bonk'Adventure, Bonk's Revenge, Bomberman and Ninja Spirit as pack-in software? Has anything ever come close to this level of awesomeness?

It was also the second official pack-in set. Bonk was just tossed in to a regular TG-16 set and a sticker was sometimes slapped on the box, as a free game deal. So the seven game set is more or less the Turbo equivelant of the SMB pack-in.
Yep, the Duo had great pack-ins. Anyway, my point is more along the lines of people ragging on Keith Courage. Altered Beast and Gyromite weren't great pack-ins either. The only difference is Nintendo and Sega changed the default configurations of their systems over time. In the US the NES had a huge variety of packages that became available eventually, the most common ones involving packing in Super Mario Bros.

With the Genesis, Sega eventually packed in Sonic, then released a core model with no pack-in.

NEC probably should have had more variety in their packages available, but the problem wasn't that Keith Courage was this horrible game.
--DragonmasterDan

NecroPhile

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 02/06/2011, 07:23 PMIt'd be like if Blazing Lazers looked as it does now, but was half as fast, and you had to use strategy to advance as opposed to just reflexes and OMG BLOW IT UP, stuff
That game is called Deep Blue:lol:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: guest on 02/07/2011, 11:39 AM
Quote from: guest on 02/06/2011, 07:23 PMIt'd be like if Blazing Lazers looked as it does now, but was half as fast, and you had to use strategy to advance as opposed to just reflexes and OMG BLOW IT UP, stuff
That game is called Deep Blue:lol:
:lol: :lol:
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

spenoza

Keith Courage is a fine, if unremarkable, game. I think the problem is that it doesn't really feel like a pack-in. In Japan it was a licensed title. Here it was just a weird platformer. So while there's nothing wrong with it as a game, I think the Turbo might have been better served by some other title as a pack-in, just in terms of general, over-all appeal.

Mathius

I thought Keith Courage was quite remarkable back when the Turbo was first released in N.A. I treasure my memories I have playing in-store demos of KC back then. The GunHead enemies are permanently etched into my mind as a result.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: Mathius on 02/07/2011, 01:39 PMI thought Keith Courage was quite remarkable back when the Turbo was first released in N.A. I treasure my memories I have playing in-store demos of KC back then. The GunHead enemies are permanently etched into my mind as a result.
Gotta love those GunHead dudes. heh

In a way, you can see why NEC picked KC as the initial pack-in game. The sound and music in KC is very unique and really does take advantage of the sound hardware on the TG. Also, the colours in KC are particularly bright and crisp. The game actually does demonstrate very well two of the better features of the TG: sound and colour. But from a strictly marketing perspective, KC just wasn't the way to go. Legendary Axe may not have been as unique as KC in the music/sound department, but it had great music (some of my favourite music on the pce/tg) and great graphics. More importantly, it was a great game and was, consequently, unanimously praised by critics. LA really should have been the pack-in for the TG.
IMG

geise

Turbo games that I feel don't get enough mention for good reasons are Cyber Core, Dead Moon, and Last Alert. 

Cyber Core is a great vertical shooter.  It was nice playing a non space shooter at the time. 

Dead Moon had amazing graphics and scrolling for being on the TG-16.  I thought Natsume did a good job with the game. 

I have always been a huge Telenet fan and I really enjoyed Last Alert.  The voice acting didn't even bother me.  It kind of added to the charm for me.

NecroPhile

Göẗzëndïënër and Hatris need more love; sure they have their flaws, but they're fun dammit!
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

JoshTurboTrollX

I always had fun with Double Dungeons playing 2 player mode back in the day.  Thought the scrolling 3D corridors looked great too.
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Arkhan Asylum

Keith Courage is lost on NA since we didn't get the cartoon in question.

Lilgrafx

Quote from: guest on 02/07/2011, 01:17 PMKeith Courage is a fine, if unremarkable, game. I think the problem is that it doesn't really feel like a pack-in. In Japan it was a licensed title. Here it was just a weird platformer. So while there's nothing wrong with it as a game, I think the Turbo might have been better served by some other title as a pack-in, just in terms of general, over-all appeal.
Legendary axe, Blazing Lazers, Fantasy zone, vigilante? So many good first year releases that could have been great pack-in games. I total agree its not terrible just not orgasmic like some members seem to think

VestCunt

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 02/07/2011, 04:26 PMI always had fun with Double Dungeons playing 2 player mode back in the day.  Thought the scrolling 3D corridors looked great too.
Word.  Cruised through level 1 with my brother just last week.

Quote from: esteban on 02/07/2011, 12:47 AMI'll go ahead and nominate Order of the Griffon as an under-appreciated game.
Nothing like charming an enemy mage and watching him fireball his companions!
Topic Adjourned.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: VestCunt on 02/07/2011, 06:15 PMNothing like charming an enemy mage and watching him fireball his companions!
I had a friend mistarget doing that once and nuked his own team.

He kinda retartarded

nat

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 02/07/2011, 04:26 PMI always had fun with Double Dungeons playing 2 player mode back in the day.  Thought the scrolling 3D corridors looked great too.
Totally agree, I'm actually playing through the game right now for the first time in my life. I'm about halfway through so far. I kept pushing it aside because I thought it looked pretty drab from screenshots, but it's actually one of the most addicting dungeon crawlers on the face of the planet. The neverending enemy cast never ceases to amaze, either. Not to mention it has THE BEST narrative ever "penned" for a video game.

"THE WARRIOR ENCOUNTERED A SOAKING MAN SO HE ENTERED THE DUNGEON."

Brilliant.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Arkhan Asylum

Double Dungeons succeeded at taking the dungeon crawl and making it have an arcade feel.

If that game was a coinop, it'd be just as frigging good.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: nat on 02/07/2011, 08:34 PM
Totally agree, I'm actually playing through the game right now for the first time in my life. I'm about halfway through so far. I kept pushing it aside because I thought it looked pretty drab from screenshots, but it's actually one of the most addicting dungeon crawlers on the face of the planet. The neverending enemy cast never ceases to amaze, either. Not to mention it has THE BEST narrative ever "penned" for a video game.

"THE WARRIOR ENCOUNTERED A SOAKING MAN SO HE ENTERED THE DUNGEON."

Brilliant.
Quote from: guest on 02/07/2011, 10:02 PMDouble Dungeons succeeded at taking the dungeon crawl and making it have an arcade feel.

If that game was a coinop, it'd be just as frigging good.
Wow. You guys have just breathed new hope into Double Dungeons for me. I had completely written it off by the horrible reviews and word of mouth. I think it's the Happy Console Gamer's most hated TG game. lol.
IMG

nat

I have no idea who is writing those awful reviews, but in reality, the game doesn't do anything wrong. The only thing I can think of that I might change is the look of the dungeons. As it is, all the dungeons look identical except for layout. Still, this is a minor point as it does everything else so well. As has been mentioned already, the scrolling is super-smooth. The gameplay is lightning fast; you traverse virtual miles of corridor in seconds and the battles play out incredibly fast.

QuoteDouble Dungeons succeeded at taking the dungeon crawl and making it have an arcade feel.
I actually agree with this. The music is really good, too.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Mathius

Is this the same game where the player would encounter generic "slime monsters" over and over???

Ceti Alpha

IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Mathius on 02/07/2011, 10:31 PMIs this the same game where the player would encounter generic "slime monsters" over and over???
Yeah.

But really the game is great.  I like the fast pace.  I play alot of first person dungeon crawlers.... and one thing I know for a fact is I usually hate them when they're on a console due to lack of mouse and keyboard.    There are exceptions to the rule, but usually (Eye of the Beholder), the stuff sucks.

This, paces the game quickly, its arcadey since you find shops and shit.  Its just awesome.   The should have changed the dungeon themes for sure as you progress but its a minor setback to an awesome game

esteban

Ha! Apparently, I should have quoted my entire post from yesteryear (not just the part about Order of the Griffon).

Quote from: https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=1732.msg17026#msg17026Double Dungeons -- This will never be on anyone's "Best List", but if you are into old-skool dungeon crawling (occasionally making maps), then you might try this. This game would have been a lot better had there been a greater variety of environments and enemies (among other things). The reason I suggest this game is because the TWO PLAYER CO-OP mode is actually a lot of fun (both players have to enjoy the game, of course). Unfortunately, I don't know how likely it is to find two folks who enjoy this game enough to finish it. My brother and I are probably in the minority Smile (and that was 16 years ago).
Anyway, I still feel that a greater variety of environments + enemies would have helped this game tremendously.

I agree with nat: some really nice tunes in DD (too bad there weren't more!).

Since I'm being lazy, and just quoting myself, I might as well remind you folks about this AWESOMENESS (since no one has mentioned it yet):

Quote from: https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=1732.msg17081#msg17081The koolest thing is that the ONLY way to see yourself is to have a second player and manuevre (sp?????) yourselves to look at one another. Unless there is a mirror I'm forgetting about, that's the only way to see what your character looks like!
Yet ONE MORE REASON for you to play Double Dungeons as 2-player co-op!

nat

Quote from: Mathius on 02/07/2011, 10:31 PMIs this the same game where the player would encounter generic "slime monsters" over and over???
In what RPG/dungeon crawler do you NOT encounter "slimes?"

There are shit ton of enemies in the game, the slimes usually only inhabit the very beginning of each dungeon.

Mathius

Quote from: nat on 02/08/2011, 02:15 AM

There are shit ton of enemies in the game, the slimes usually only inhabit the very beginning of each dungeon.
My concern was that "slimes" were the dominant enemy type throughout the game. Most reviews I have read seem to state this. Looks like I need to give her a shot. :)

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Mathius on 02/08/2011, 03:14 AM

My concern was that "slimes" were the dominant enemy type throughout the game. Most reviews I have read seem to state this. Looks like I need to give her a shot. :)
Most reviews are dipshits that spell it "Turbo Graphix", so don't listen to their lies and filth!

nat

Quote from: Mathius on 02/08/2011, 03:14 AM

My concern was that "slimes" were the dominant enemy type throughout the game. Most reviews I have read seem to state this.
This just reinforces my theory that most people who review the game haven't actually played it. In some of the larger dungeons you can go 30 minutes (or more) without encountering a single slime.

On the other hand, if you mess around in the beginning of a dungeon for 5 minutes, it's likely the only creatures you will encounter are slimes.

runinruder

Not every site is run by goofballs who rip on Double Dungeons.

You guys who like Double Dungeons should check out Out Live as well.

Arkhan Asylum

malicedoom

Wait a minute... who am I here?

OldRover

Splash Lake is already well-known to be a great game. :D

esteban

spenoza

We all respect Splash Lake, but I think the wider gaming community is oblivious to its awesomeness. It was truly a Game To Own.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: guest on 02/12/2011, 01:04 PMWe all respect Splash Lake, but I think the wider gaming community is oblivious to its awesomeness. It was truly a Game To Own.
The wider gaming community is oblivious to pretty much everything PCE/Turbo related.

I mean, they spell it "Turbo Graphix" and crap.

nat

Ceti Alpha

IMG

Lilgrafx