RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

English friendly PCE games?

Started by MasonSushi, 02/22/2011, 04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MasonSushi

I was wondering if there is a list of Ennglis friendly PCE games? I know most of the shooters won't have problems, but some of the platformers and RPG's are different. For example, how is the Neutopia series and Air Zonk?

Thanks for any help.

SuperPlay

As a starting point you could give http://pcecp.com/index.php?mode=home a try.

If you search for a game it will give you the "Amount of Japanese Needed to Play"

Hope this helps.

_Paul

Most action games are fine. Even some action RPGs like Dungeon Explorer are easy enough in Japanese, and there are a few walkthroughs for RPGs listed here.

1980-20..

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: MasonSushi on 02/22/2011, 04:23 PMI was wondering if there is a list of Ennglis friendly PCE games? I know most of the shooters won't have problems, but some of the platformers and RPG's are different. For example, how is the Neutopia series and Air Zonk?

Thanks for any help.
Neutopia is easy with no knowledge of Japanese.  You follow a compass around.  and beepy stuff.

Also, theres a few spots where it COULD help but youll figure it out on your own no problem

Youll find most games that arent RPGs are pretty damn easy without knowing how to read it
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Amadeusama

Just because I did a little youtube video on it the other day, and it meets your demands ...

HYPER WARS is a (robot battles simulation kind of) game full of English. Even the intro has English text to the narrator's Japanese.

In-game everything on screen is English, other than your staff's comments, but they don't tell you anything that isn't obvious anyway.

You can find part 1 of the video here:
And part 2 here:
So I actually bought me a book on Mahjong ...

CrackTiger

Neo Nectaris
Dracula X
Dynastic Hero
Advanced VG
Anesan
Chiki Chiki Boys
Double Dragon II
Flash Hiders
Fatal Fury Special
World Heroes 2
Art of Fighting
Iga Ninden Gaou
Kaze Kiri
Ninja Gaiden
Altered Beast Power Drift
Afterburner
Kabuki Itouryoden
Rainbow Islands
Don Doko Don
Pop 'n Magic
Tenchi o Kurau
Valis IV
Panic Bomber
Puyo Puyo 1 & 2
Zipang
Bonze Adventure
Dragon Egg
Blue Blink
Batman
Bomberman '94
Liquid Kids
New Zealand Story
Cross Wiber
Die Hard
Alice in Wonderdream
Gekisha Boy
Genji Tsuushin Agedama
Shubibinman 3
Kiki Kai Kai
Makai Prince Dorabocchan
Marchen Maze
Operation Wolf
Shinobi
SonSon II
Tatsu no Ko Fighter
Tower of Druaga
Valkyrie no Densetsu
Youkai Douchuuki
Columns
Circus Lido
Hatris
Lode Runner
Volfied
Skweek
Populous
Out Run
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

apachacha

Quote from: guest on 07/02/2011, 12:26 PMNeo Nectaris
Dracula X
Dynastic Hero
Advanced VG
Anesan
Chiki Chiki Boys
Double Dragon II
Flash Hiders
Fatal Fury Special
World Heroes 2
Art of Fighting
Iga Ninden Gaou
Kaze Kiri
Ninja Gaiden
Altered Beast Power Drift
Afterburner
Kabuki Itouryoden
Rainbow Islands
Don Doko Don
Pop 'n Magic
Tenchi o Kurau
Valis IV
Panic Bomber
Puyo Puyo 1 & 2
Zipang
Bonze Adventure
Dragon Egg
Blue Blink
Batman
Bomberman '94
Liquid Kids
New Zealand Story
Cross Wiber
Die Hard
Alice in Wonderdream
Gekisha Boy
Genji Tsuushin Agedama
Shubibinman 3
Kiki Kai Kai
Makai Prince Dorabocchan
Marchen Maze
Operation Wolf
Shinobi
SonSon II
Tatsu no Ko Fighter
Tower of Druaga
Valkyrie no Densetsu
Youkai Douchuuki
Columns
Circus Lido
Hatris
Lode Runner
Volfied
Skweek
Populous
Out Run
Maybe that's not the best idea :P

I mean, I can't speak Japanese and I sure have yet to get past the ending of that game :P

And as Tats said, most shooters are rather straight forward too.

CrackTiger

Quote from: apachacha on 07/02/2011, 12:56 PMMaybe that's not the best idea :P

I mean, I can't speak Japanese and I sure have yet to get past the ending of that game :P
Which one?
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

TheClash603

Son Son 2 made me upset because without knowing Japanese I got confused, and it consistently shows up on lists of games easy to play with no Japanese knowledge.

Shmups are your only safe bet in my opinion.

CrackTiger

Quote from: CrackTiger on 07/02/2011, 04:29 PM
Quote from: apachacha on 07/02/2011, 12:56 PMMaybe that's not the best idea :P

Which one?
Never mind, I can make out the bold now that I'm at a desktop computer. :P

CGQuarterly

Quote from: SuperPlay on 02/22/2011, 04:34 PMAs a starting point you could give http://pcecp.com/index.php?mode=home a try.

If you search for a game it will give you the "Amount of Japanese Needed to Play"

Hope this helps.
Thanks for posting that link.  I've never seen that site before.

Chris

apachacha

Quote from: TheClash603 on 07/02/2011, 06:16 PMSon Son 2 made me upset because without knowing Japanese I got confused, and it consistently shows up on lists of games easy to play with no Japanese knowledge.

Shmups are your only safe bet in my opinion.
I got through it, you realy just need to know what the items do and when you're being offered a better weapon :P

Tatsujin

Quote from: CGQuarterly on 07/02/2011, 08:11 PMNever mind, I can make out the bold now that I'm at a desktop computer. :P
Lol, does iPhone not knowing about bold fonds? :P
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

MasonSushi

was wondering if any other ideas popped up?? I was thinking of the Carman Sandiago game. I really want to give that a try if it has an English option.

nat

It does.

I thought we established that already, but it appears it must've been in a different thread.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

RR1980

Quote from: MasonSushi on 10/18/2011, 03:45 PMwas wondering if any other ideas popped up?? I was thinking of the Carman Sandiago game. I really want to give that a try if it has an English option.
Carmen Sandieago on the PCE is good although a little on the short side tho