10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Your Daily Dose of Gaming.

Started by Ninja Spirit, 07/15/2005, 01:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

geise

NEC PC-98: Elemental-O (18+) based card game/rpg. 

360:  Children of Eden

I'm a huge fan of REZ on DC so it was easy making this purchase.  Very awesome if you are a fan of REZ.  Probably the most "originally" stunning visuals for a game.  It's just plain mindless fun.

360:  Catherine

Still getting used to this game.  I like it though.  I don't play many next gen games but Children of Eden and Catherine have made me dust of the 360.

blueraven

Blazing Lasers on my Express. a LOT.

thrush

Quote from: Lilgrafx on 08/17/2011, 12:38 PM
Quote from: guest on 08/14/2011, 10:58 PM
Quote from: Lilgrafx on 08/12/2011, 11:21 PMFinal Fantasy IV on the PS1 
What a coincidence, I've been playing it on the GBA lately. :)
Yeah this is the first Final Fantasy I've played and it really good, a typical turn based battle system and a good story.
Since you enjoy it, I suggest trying Final Fantasy 5 and/or Final Fantasy 6.  Five has a much more complex and customisable battle system while Six has a more nuanced and (IMO) intriguing story.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: blueraven on 08/17/2011, 12:53 PMBlazing Lasers on my Express. a LOT.
I'm so used to playing BL on the express that I have trouble playing it on an actual system. I'm used to the resolution on the express. It's strange.
--DragonmasterDan

BlueBMW

I played a little more into FF7 again today. (I've been playing off and on for the last few months) This will be my second playthrough.  My first having been done back when the game first came out.  Despite what the haters say its one of my favorites.  Love the characters, love the story, and honestly love the battle / magic system plus all the other minigame type stuff you can do.  I know the story had a pretty profound impact on me when I was 13.  Yes the graphics have aged poorly, but they do have a certain flavor to them that I like.  Like the way they made certain scenes blend from a prerendered background to a video...  =P~ (examples being golden saucer tram... junon flightdeck elevator)

Anyways that's what I've been disobeying with this week!
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

thrush

Finished Pokemon Black & White.  The battle system was surprisingly deep, but I found the story very bothersome.  I'm still slogging through Metroid Prime 2.  The further I get into this the more I like it.  Some of the environments late in the game are really cool.

I agree with what you say about FF7, BMW: I think the materia-slot system has a great balance of flexibility & restrictiveness.  I wish other equipment-oriented games would try something like that.  I also really, really love how the minigames are integrated; feels like they grow naturally out of the role-playing (CPR scene, climbing the glacier, motorcycle escape, piloting the sub, the "slap fight").

BlueBMW

Only Pokemon game I've played to completion was Pokemon blue on GB.  I guess I've never liked the notion of having more than the original 151 creatures.  That was enough for me to learn!
  I guess I should mention I also played Pokemon leaf green for a little while...
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

roflmao

I've never played a Pokemon game, but I'd be interested in picking one up one of these days to see what all the hoopla was (is?) about.

I received the Genesis 6-Pak game in the mail today so played me a little Revenge of Shinobi and Streets of Rage (made it to the last level before running out of lives and didn't feel like continuing... so close!).  Man, those games bring back memories.  Will probably play some Golden Axe and Sonic 1 tonight. :)  That cartridge is one of the best deals for the Genny, imo.  I think I picked mine up for $7, and I think it can be had for less on ebay.  Awesome!

BlueBMW

Quote from: guest on 08/19/2011, 05:58 PMI've never played a Pokemon game, but I'd be interested in picking one up one of these days to see what all the hoopla was (is?) about.

I received the Genesis 6-Pak game in the mail today so played me a little Revenge of Shinobi and Streets of Rage (made it to the last level before running out of lives and didn't feel like continuing... so close!).  Man, those games bring back memories.  Will probably play some Golden Axe and Sonic 1 tonight. :)  That cartridge is one of the best deals for the Genny, imo.  I think I picked mine up for $7, and I think it can be had for less on ebay.  Awesome!
Maybe I'm wierd, but the only game I ever seem to play on that cart is Columns hehe.  LOVE me some columns!

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: BlueBMW on 08/19/2011, 06:40 PMMaybe I'm wierd, but the only game I ever seem to play on that cart is Columns hehe.  LOVE me some columns!
The Sega CD 4 in 1 disc version has awesome Yuzo Koshiro title screen music, I used to just leave that on.
--DragonmasterDan

roflmao

I'll have to give Columns another shot - last time I tried playing it, I lost.  And it pointed and laughed at me.

roflmao

Quote from: guest on 08/19/2011, 07:05 PMI'll have to give Columns another shot - last time I tried playing it, I lost.  And it pointed and laughed at me.
Well I played it again yesterday and did better that I had expected, but still got pointed and laughed at. :)  I made it to the 4th level, which I think is farther than I've been before, but I bet true fans of the the game get quite a bit farther than that.  ;)

roflmao

Got Wings of Wor for the Genny in the mail yesterday - what a blast!  Really enjoying that one.  I'd never heard of it back in the day, only recently found out about it.

Also just got a free 7-day trial to revisit my World of Warcraft account.  Woah, Cataclysm has changed things.  Really digging this also, though I've done a few 7-day trials in the past and usually after 7 days I'm ready to put my character back to rest. :) 

Of course, wouldn't you know it, as soon as I activate my 7-day trial we decide to take an impromptu RV trip for 3 days...  No internet connection for 3 days.  But RVing with the wife and kid pwns WoW any day. I get to increase my real fishing and cooking skills! :P

Mathius

Metal Gear Solid. I don't think I have played all the way through since its release.

thrush

Beat Metroid Prime 2 tonight, complete with better ending.  Sweet.

Quote from: guest on 08/24/2011, 09:38 PMBut RVing with the wife and kid pwns WoW any day. I get to increase my real fishing and cooking skills! :P
Totally!  ^__^b

Quote from: Mathius on 08/24/2011, 11:11 PMMetal Gear Solid. I don't think I have played all the way through since its release.
I've still never finished that one.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: thrush on 08/25/2011, 01:15 AMBeat Metroid Prime 2 tonight, complete with better ending.  Sweet.
Were you playing the GC version or the Wii version included with Prime Trilogy?
--DragonmasterDan

thrush

I was playing the GC version.

JoshTurboTrollX

Got in a bit of PSP last night-
Space Invaders Extreme- beat stage 2, on to stage 3

About 30 mins further in Legend of Heroes- Tears of Vermillion

Kids were doing Movie night in the living room, so no Emerald Dragon for me last night.... Waah!   :cry: :cry: :cry:
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

chany60126

My main character just became a paladin in Final Fantasy II (IV) on the SNES.

Mathius

Quote from: chany60126 on 08/25/2011, 12:36 PMMy main character just became a paladin in Final Fantasy II (IV) on the SNES.
I am just a bit after that part. This is my first playthrough.

chany60126

Quote from: Mathius on 08/25/2011, 06:22 PM
Quote from: chany60126 on 08/25/2011, 12:36 PMMy main character just became a paladin in Final Fantasy II (IV) on the SNES.
Eww nice!! It's my first playthrough as well. :D

Lilgrafx

Quote from: chany60126 on 08/25/2011, 06:29 PM
Quote from: Mathius on 08/25/2011, 06:22 PM
Eww nice!! It's my first playthrough as well. :D
HAHAHA I just finished that yesterday its my first play through of any FF game I love It. Also playing Wario Land shake it, awsome 2D graphics.

nectarsis

Restarted  Half Minute Hero (PSP)...still a blast to play.
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

roflmao

It wasn't on a console, but while we were out RVing I picked up "Forbidden Island" at a nearby game shop and we played it this evening.  It was a real hoot!  Here's a link to the game on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Gamewright-317-Forbidden-Island/dp/B003D7F4YY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314503875&sr=8-1

IMG

It's a co-op game, is easy to learn, and the game is relatively quick (30 Minutes) which is a big bonus now that we have a 3 year old and are pretty wiped out after he goes to sleep.  I've been a big fan of Euro-style board games (Settlers of Catan, Carcassonne, Java, etc) for a long time now and this one snuck up on me.  It's great, and cheap.

thrush

Thanks for the recommendation Roflmao!  I also am a big fan of this style game; cause of schedule issue I don't get to play them much any more, so cheap + short are a winning combination!  ^__^

roflmao

Quote from: thrush on 08/28/2011, 10:11 AMThanks for the recommendation Roflmao!  I also am a big fan of this style game; cause of schedule issue I don't get to play them much any more, so cheap + short are a winning combination!  ^__^
You bet!  I've played it a few more times since I posted and we've lost more than we've won, which makes for some crazy games.  Really fun stuff. 

I'd also recommend Castle Panic:
http://www.amazon.com/Fireside-Games-1001FSD-Castle-Panic/dp/B002IUFSPM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314676379&sr=8-1

IMG

It's another really intense co-op board game.  The goal is to keep a Castle from being overrun by hordes of monsters.  It's a little higher on the nerd scale because of the D&D/LOTR-ish theme, but it is all sorts of fun.  Games are still relatively quick (though a little longer than Forbidden Island - maybe 45 minutes) and it costs a little more (Looks like Amazon has it for about $25 shipped right now though it is probably a fair bit more at your local game store).

Lilgrafx

Popped in Opoona for a few hours, just got It last weekend.

geise

JoshTurboTrollX

swigged a few hours further into nethack while watching 'Paul' with the wife.  Pretty funny movie.  Nerd heaven.
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

thrush

Played Vector Man & Gunstar Heroes some today.

Lilgrafx

Quote from: thrush on 09/04/2011, 09:17 PMPlayed Vector Man & Gunstar Heroes some today.
Hell yeah! two of my favorite run 'n' guns

roflmao

I've been playing a lot of Borderlands on the PC lately.  It's funny, I've had the game for ages but never really took to it for some reason.  On a whim, I started it up about a week ago and I've been totally hooked.    :roll:

Mathius

Quote from: guest on 09/05/2011, 01:08 AMI've been playing a lot of Borderlands on the PC lately.  It's funny, I've had the game for ages but never really took to it for some reason.  On a whim, I started it up about a week ago and I've been totally hooked.    :roll:
I got Boarderlands for Christmas a few years ago and did the same thing. I haven't touched it since that morning.

BlueBMW

My dad was playing borderlands a bunch, so I got into it some too.  Played it for a good while, then stopped for some reason hehe.

Spent some time playing through FF7 on PS1 yesterday.  Finally slogged through the end of Disc 1.  Each time I try and play through that game I always seem to stop before the end of disc 1.  This time I'll see it through.

roflmao

Yeah, that first disc seems to go on forever.  I think I've only made it past the first disc once. :)  And I've never finished FF7.  The cutscenes in that game blew my mind when I first played the game.

bartre

Yeah, i've played borderlands twice, once on 360 right after it came out, for 13 hours straight
and the other time right after i got my ps3, where i played it for 10 hours.
and i have no desire to play it more, is that weird?

roflmao

Not at all.  I feel like I'm burning out on it as well and I've only been playing it for about a week.  Yet, every time I start it up I end up playing it way longer than I ought to.  I think it has to do with that "Just one more quest" kind of gameplay. To me it feels very much like a stripped down FPS version of World of Warcraft - you've got different classes, endless quests and loot, different skill trees to develop your character, can be played co-op with a handful of buddies or solo, etc...  It's a fun, mindless game.  But I do see myself becoming tired of it (probably soon).

DragonmasterDan

Fired up Dragon Quest V. It looks a lot nicer on my 3DS than on my regular DS.
--DragonmasterDan

thrush

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 09/06/2011, 07:43 PMFired up Dragon Quest V. It looks a lot nicer on my 3DS than on my regular DS.
Ooooooh, I am so jealous!  That's the only main series DQ I have yet to play; I've been looking for the DS version for a while now.  I hope you enjoy it!

roflmao

For something a little different I spent a good chunk of this evening playing this:
IMG

It's a Revell Proto CX.  It's a re-branded one of these:
My wife got it for me over a year ago and I played the hell out of it until I got cocky and took it outside and crashed it hard into a tree, breaking the landing gear and fuselage.  I finally got around to ordering replacement parts (glow-in-the-dark!) and got it up and running again and am having just as much fun as ever.  Probably won't take it outside again though. :)  The heli is so sensitive that it reacts differently when the AC kicks on in the house.

nectarsis

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 09/06/2011, 07:43 PMFired up Dragon Quest V. It looks a lot nicer on my 3DS than on my regular DS.
In what way(s)?

Started into Disgaea 4 today...2-3 hours in and good times.
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: guest on 09/09/2011, 10:34 PMFor something a little different I spent a good chunk of this evening playing this:
IMG

It's a Revell Proto CX.  It's a re-branded one of these:
My wife got it for me over a year ago and I played the hell out of it until I got cocky and took it outside and crashed it hard into a tree, breaking the landing gear and fuselage.  I finally got around to ordering replacement parts (glow-in-the-dark!) and got it up and running again and am having just as much fun as ever.  Probably won't take it outside again though. :)  The heli is so sensitive that it reacts differently when the AC kicks on in the house.
Those are awesome, rofl. At an older job, co-workers and I used to play with RC stuff all the time. One of the guys had a copter like that. So fun.
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

JoshTurboTrollX

Backbreaker finally arrived in the mail, time to play a few hours of that (still boycotting Madden) then on to Football Sunday!  All DAY!!!

Also, was able to obey some yesterday- introducing a friend to turbob.  We played Air Zonk, Bonk's Revenge, and Legendary Axe.

Also, unfortunately played some E.T for the 2600.  It's ok though. We threw it off a three story balcony shortly after.  ;)

Mathius

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 09/11/2011, 07:46 AMBackbreaker finally arrived in the mail, time to play a few hours of that (still boycotting Madden) then on to Football Sunday!  All DAY!!!

Also, was able to obey some yesterday- introducing a friend to turbob.  We played Air Zonk, Bonk's Revenge, and Legendary Axe.

Also, unfortunately played some E.T for the 2600.  It's ok though. We threw it off a three story balcony shortly after.  ;)
Believe it or not, but I actually loved E.T. bitd! When I was little I would play that game a lot to it's "conclusion." I haven't played it since though as I don't own a 2600 anymore.

thrush

Been playing the DS remake of Fire Emblem.  Pretty cool so far.

JoshTurboTrollX

Week 3 in season mode with all 32 unofficial/ OFFICIAL NFL teams in Backbreaker!!  Totally jawesome!!

Green Bay Packers 3-0 1st in NFC North!

Lilgrafx

I've decided to sit down and beat my first Castlevania game and I chose Castlevania IV. This game is amazing.

thrush

Quote from: Lilgrafx on 09/28/2011, 10:30 PMI've decided to sit down and beat my first Castlevania game and I chose Castlevania IV. This game is amazing.
I wholeheartedly support that decision!  ^_^b  Castlevania 4 is not my favourite in the series, but I have several friends who swear by it!

munchiaz

Quote from: thrush on 09/29/2011, 02:52 PM
Quote from: Lilgrafx on 09/28/2011, 10:30 PMI've decided to sit down and beat my first Castlevania game and I chose Castlevania IV. This game is amazing.
I wholeheartedly support that decision!  ^_^b  Castlevania 4 is not my favourite in the series, but I have several friends who swear by it!
love castlevania 4. the 8 way whipping is so much fun.

blueraven

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 09/26/2011, 02:33 PMWeek 3 in season mode with all 32 unofficial/ OFFICIAL NFL teams in Backbreaker!!  Totally jawesome!!

Green Bay Packers 3-0 1st in NFC North!
TURBOFAIL

I was playing Blazing Lasers today :D