10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Turbo Gouging on Ebay ( r.i.p. - gouging much )

Started by NecroPhile, 08/03/2010, 04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NecroPhile

Quote from: TheMilford on 12/16/2011, 11:30 PMAm I still a clown?
You might be a good guy, but your eBay actions were certainly worthy of the big top.  Unrealistic BINs are a big factor in why eBay's prices are so nutso for Turbob goodies, which was why I took umbrage with your auction.

Quote from: TheMilford on 12/16/2011, 11:30 PMShould I really care what you guys think?
Care what anonymous peeps say on the interwebz?!?  Surely you jest.

Quote from: TheMilford on 12/17/2011, 12:29 AMA $10 offer is just a waste of everybody's time.
Any less so than an $1800 asking price?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

TheMilford

Quote from: guest on 12/19/2011, 11:45 AM
You might be a good guy, but your eBay actions were certainly worthy of the big top.  Unrealistic BINs are a big factor in why eBay's prices are so nutso for Turbob goodies, which was why I took umbrage with your auction.
Got it.

Quote from: TheMilford on 12/16/2011, 11:30 PMShould I really care what you guys think?
Then we agree.

Quote from: TheMilford on 12/17/2011, 12:29 AMA $10 offer is just a waste of everybody's time.
No, because you chose to react and waste your time and mine. You made an inaccurate assumption and didn't even make your point very well... You could have just dropped me a message either here or eBay. And if you're gonna engage in detective work you have a minimum due diligence... A quick search would have vetted that I was a member here.

I admitted to making a bad judgement and adjusted accordingly. I was humble even and open to the candor. However Your behavior was simply presumptuous and reactionary.

If this is some sort of apology I accept, no hard feelings. Just maybe consider taking it down a notch, consider maybe that your tactic is slightly flawed.

Regards,
David

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: TheMilford on 12/19/2011, 01:26 PM
Got it.

Then we agree.

No, because you chose to react and waste your time and mine. You made an inaccurate assumption and didn't even make your point very well... You could have just dropped me a message either here or eBay. And if you're gonna engage in detective work you have a minimum due diligence... A quick search would have vetted that I was a member here.

I admitted to making a bad judgement and adjusted accordingly. I was humble even and open to the candor. However Your behavior was simply presumptuous and reactionary.

If this is some sort of apology I accept, no hard feelings. Just maybe consider taking it down a notch, consider maybe that your tactic is slightly flawed.

Regards,
David
Flawed somewhat, but when we see price gouging on Ebay, everyone suffers. Hell, I just messaged a guy who thought Ys3 was worth $279 and yet another who thought it was worth $900 (shrink wrapped mind you). That kind of crap just artificially inflates the crap out of things and pains people who really want the item. Of course, we could all just burn these games, run it through emulation (you would think it would actually drop prices), but that would defeat the purpose of playing it on the actual system. I for one am about to just say screw it and get a cd presser.

NecroPhile

Quote from: TheMilford on 12/19/2011, 01:26 PMYou made an inaccurate assumption and didn't even make your point very well...
Your price fishing expedition wasn't pertinent, so what's to assume?  It was merely a ridiculous offer in response to an equally ridiculous BIN price; I certainly wasn't trying to teach you the error of your ways (99.9% of the time a seller's response would be indignant rage that I don't comprehend how 'rare' their collection is).

Quote from: TheMilford on 12/19/2011, 01:26 PMYou could have just dropped me a message either here or eBay. And if you're gonna engage in detective work you have a minimum due diligence... A quick search would have vetted that I was a member here.
What difference does it make if you're a member here or not?  A price gouge is a price gouge is a price gouge.

Quote from: TheMilford on 12/19/2011, 01:26 PMJust maybe consider taking it down a notch, consider maybe that your tactic is slightly flawed.
The only step down from calling out price gouges for what they are and making silly offers is doing nothing.  I'm not interested in tilting at windmills and teaching gougers to care about something beyond maximizing profits, though it's nice if that's what happens.

TheMilford

Quote from: guest on 12/19/2011, 05:27 PM
Quote from: TheMilford on 12/19/2011, 01:26 PMYou made an inaccurate assumption and didn't even make your point very well...
Your price fishing expedition wasn't pertinent, so what's to assume?  It was merely a ridiculous offer in response to an equally ridiculous BIN price; I certainly wasn't trying to teach you the error of your ways (99.9% of the time a seller's response would be indignant rage that I don't comprehend how 'rare' their collection is).

Quote from: TheMilford on 12/19/2011, 01:26 PMYou could have just dropped me a message either here or eBay. And if you're gonna engage in detective work you have a minimum due diligence... A quick search would have vetted that I was a member here.
What difference does it make if you're a member here or not?  A price gouge is a price gouge is a price gouge.
It makes all the difference in the world. I assume you guys regard this place as a community... To presume any forum member had the worst of intentions is counterproductive to the point of having community in the first place. "Innocent until proven guilty", "assume the best of intentions" and all that. I would hope the more active members here would take umbrage with your sentiment. It's dismissive and presumptuous.

Quote from: guest on 12/19/2011, 05:27 PM
Quote from: TheMilford on 12/19/2011, 01:26 PMJust maybe consider taking it down a notch, consider maybe that your tactic is slightly flawed.
The only step down from calling out price gouges for what they are and making silly offers is doing nothing.  I'm not interested in tilting at windmills and teaching gougers to care about something beyond maximizing profits, though it's nice if that's what happens.
But you went a step FURTHER by advertising what you did and calling me clown on a public forum, (that it turns out I was a member on)... possibly rallying more to act in the same. Mob mentality at it's finest.

Whatever dude. At least I was humble and reflective. Do you think your little passive-agressive quips do anything at all for the real gougers, or the community for that matter? Imaginary enemies indeed.  :roll:

All i'm asking is maybe you exercise a little tact and consider that maybe you're method of policing is an ineffective and insulting waste of time you yourself, the recipient and your community.

I listed the thing for what it was worth TO ME. I was in a state of financial woe... But I ultimately I took responsibility for being flip. I wasn't looking to gouge anybody and you know this... The least you could do is exercise some humility and reflection... I did. And It didn't hurt one bit.

Best,
David

MotherGunner

You know that eBay CAN auto-decline and filter out low offers at your discretion right?
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

TheMilford

Quote from: MotherGunner on 12/19/2011, 07:00 PMYou know that eBay CAN auto-decline and filter out low offers at your discretion right? 
yeah, I know... I figured that out after round one of $10 offers.  :oops:

jperryss

Quote from: TheMilford on 12/19/2011, 06:19 PMI listed the thing for what it was worth TO ME. I was in a state of financial woe... But I ultimately I took responsibility for being flip. I wasn't looking to gouge anybody and you know this... The least you could do is exercise some humility and reflection... I did. And It didn't hurt one bit.

Best,
David
I suspect that more than a few of the gouging links posted in this thread could be traced back to forum members here that lurk and hope they don't get called out.

Kudos to you for not only chiming in to defend your position, but being mature about it.

NecroPhile

Quote from: TheMilford on 12/19/2011, 06:19 PMIt makes all the difference in the world. I assume you guys regard this place as a community... To presume any forum member had the worst of intentions is counterproductive to the point of having community in the first place. "Innocent until proven guilty", "assume the best of intentions" and all that. I would hope the more active members here would take umbrage with your sentiment. It's dismissive and presumptuous.
Your intentions were irrelevant!  $1800 for that lot was unarguably a price gouge.  Period.  End of story.

Quote from: TheMilford on 12/19/2011, 06:19 PMBut you went a step FURTHER by advertising what you did and calling me clown on a public forum, (that it turns out I was a member on)... possibly rallying more to act in the same. Mob mentality at it's finest.
So a couple of bull offers wasted your time.  Tough cookies!  Overpriced auctions waste my time every day, yet I'm not crying in my Cheerios over it..... except in this thread I suppose.  Feel free to start your own thread bemoaning those making ill-intentioned best offers; I'll be sure to ignore it.

Quote from: TheMilford on 12/19/2011, 06:19 PMDo you think your little passive-agressive quips do anything at all for the real gougers, or the community for that matter?
Of course not.  If you bothered to read my previous posts, you'd see I made it perfectly clear that this thread is not a crusade to change eBay price gougers; almost none of 'em will ever see it, and the few that do won't give a crap anyway.  They'll keep doing what they do and I'll keep laughing at their idiotic prices.

Quote from: TheMilford on 12/19/2011, 06:19 PMAll i'm asking is maybe you exercise a little tact and consider that maybe you're method of policing is an ineffective and insulting waste of time you yourself, the recipient and your community.
Again, this isn't an attempt at policing a dang thing.  I'm in it solely for the lulz, and those that see little merit in this thread are not being forced to read it.

Quote from: TheMilford on 12/19/2011, 06:19 PMI wasn't looking to gouge anybody and you know this...
Riiiiiight.  So if someone bit at the $1800 BIN or offered close to it, you would've canceled the sale.  :roll:

It's painfully obvious you were fishing for a nice payday (even your subsequent price drops were still far too high for any knowledgeable OBEYers), so quit crying about being called out for offering overpriced wares and earning a few low-ball offers.

BigusSchmuck

SMF

$8000 for a Duo. He prolly does all his own grading. Hell I have a mint uncirculated KEITH COURAGE never been used I Graded it myself its a 95 asking $2000 ANYTAKERS IS A STEAL AT THIS PRICE LOL.
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

NecroPhile

Samurai Ghost

Quote from: munchiaz on 12/18/2011, 07:33 AMI'm not a fan of buying sealed stuff because most if not everything i buy i want to play at some point. So there is never a reason for me to spend this kind of money on a game.
I buy sealed stuff sometimes... then rip those babies open and play them!

roflmao

Quote from: Samurai Ghost on 12/22/2011, 10:15 AMI buy sealed stuff sometimes... then rip those babies open and play them!
Amen to that!  I don't think I have ANY sealed games.

rag-time4

Quote from: guest on 12/22/2011, 11:35 AM
Quote from: Samurai Ghost on 12/22/2011, 10:15 AMI buy sealed stuff sometimes... then rip those babies open and play them!
Ive got a few, but only because i have a lot of games and barely any free time, so I havent gotten to them yet!!

The lone exception is my sealed US copy of fighting street, which i plan to hang onto as a street fighter 1 nut

Mathius

Quote from: rag-time4 on 12/22/2011, 09:53 PM
Ive got a few, but only because i have a lot of games and barely any free time, so I havent gotten to them yet!!

The lone exception is my sealed US copy of fighting street, which i plan to hang onto as a street fighter 1 nut
-Street Fighter I Fan Club-
Population-1
 :P

munchiaz

ohh i have sealed games as well. I just havnet gotten around to playing them yet. I just dont look to buy sealed games and keep them that way

rag-time4

Quote from: Mathius on 12/22/2011, 10:27 PM

Population-1
http://www.gamefaqs.com/arcade/583625-street-fighter/reviews/review-34199?mob_off=1

MotherGunner

Did I really just see a GT for like 2 grand on eBay???
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

Mathius

Quote from: rag-time4 on 12/22/2011, 11:59 PM

Population-1
http://www.gamefaqs.com/arcade/583625-street-fighter/reviews/review-34199?mob_off=1
While reading your review I was reminded of the arcade version of Kung Fu as it had the same effect on me back in the 80s. I remember how each boss seemed more and more intimidating, and how players more skilled than me would show me later levels that I could only dream of reaching.

I totally understand where you are coming from.

blueraven

It seems I missed some teh dramaz.

8K for a Duo? Whatta maroon.

bartre

nectarsis

Quote from: bartre on 12/30/2011, 03:41 PMi know this is an auction, but...
what?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140668232327&category=139973&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

i thought that was about a $40 game, am I some kind of stupid?
A lot of peeps go retarded for the boxes (plus lack of patience).
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

SMF

Sad thing is people see this on ebay and they think DEAL, Cause the only other 1 on there is buy itnow $499. So this might go for $140 and the buyer gonna think SCORE I GOT A AWESOME DEAL. Even tho their ass is bleeding for the raping they took.

Mathius

what?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140668232327&category=139973&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

Well it appears that we found a new kind of stupid.

SMF

Quote from: Mathius on 12/30/2011, 08:41 PM
what?

Well it appears that we found a new kind of stupid.
$127 for Shockman lol, Bad time for anyone to start collecting Duo\TG16 now.

roflmao

The sad thing is it was originally listed at a great price.

DynamiteSJ

I don't see a problem with that shockman auction.. It was a low starting price with no reserve... Bidders know what their getting into and how much their bidding. If they spent too much its on them.

thesteve

that $499 shock man has the wrong description.

Samurai Ghost

Not TG/PCE related but did you guys catch this?
A sealed Stadium Events for NES for $500,000:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200694870114

Hmm, a four bedroom house or a crappy NES sports game? Tough call.

bartre

Quote from: DynamiteSJ on 01/01/2012, 04:58 PMI don't see a problem with that shockman auction.. It was a low starting price with no reserve... Bidders know what their getting into and how much their bidding. If they spent too much its on them.
that's true, but I just got a copy in the exact same state for $40 shipped.
basically, it's people not being able to wait, which i think is kinda the point of this thread.

SuperPlay

Quote from: Samurai Ghost on 01/02/2012, 03:16 AMNot TG/PCE related but did you guys catch this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200694870114

"Terms: The game is sold as-is, in condition seen pictured and as described."

I think I will have to think about this one ;-)

JapanTokei

Make that popuplation =2 !!
I love fighting street one.  Played tge shit out of it in the arcades in taiwan growing up and i have a gem minty pce version tucke away...  I got to Sagat despite all the shitty controls but he was just too tough.  I was able to beat this game on one play in the arcades- via nonstop shoryuken

Population-1

Samurai Ghost

Quote from: JapanTokei on 01/02/2012, 07:48 AMMake that popuplation =2 !!
I love fighting street one.  Played tge shit out of it in the arcades in taiwan growing up and i have a gem minty pce version tucke away...  I got to Sagat despite all the shitty controls but he was just too tough.  I was able to beat this game on one play in the arcades- via nonstop shoryuken

Population-1
Yeah I hear this game used special pressure sensitive buttons in the arcade (I've never played one before), and add that to the fact that the special moves are completed when you release the button make people frustrated when they try to play it like SF2.

NecroPhile

Quote from: DynamiteSJ on 01/01/2012, 04:58 PMI don't see a problem with that shockman auction.. It was a low starting price with no reserve... Bidders know what their getting into and how much their bidding. If they spent too much its on them.
Self inflicted gouging is still gouging - the blame just gets shifted to the other side of the table.

Quote from: Samurai Ghost on 01/02/2012, 03:16 AMNot TG/PCE related but did you guys catch this?

Only a VGA 75 rating?  Shit, I'd snap it up at that price if it was at least an 85.

OldMan

QuoteOnly a VGA 75 rating?  Shit, I'd snap it up at that price if it was at least an 85.
As in "85% new" ?

NecroPhile

Quote from: TheOldMan on 01/03/2012, 02:29 PMAs in "85% new" ?
Why of course.  Nothing but the best!  :lol:

At first I though this $90 copy of Wizardry I & II was a ripoff, but then I noticed it was teh rarez 90% English version.  A steal at any price!

SuperPlay

blueraven

I saw a half-melted SNES that was for sale at a thrift store. Looked like it had been under a Burger King heat lamp. They wanted $50 complete  :|

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: guest on 01/03/2012, 03:19 PM
Why of course.  Nothing but the best!  :lol:

At first I though this $90 copy of Wizardry I & II was a ripoff, but then I noticed it was teh rarez 90% English version.  A steal at any price!
$90? Its already 90% english (as with the other wizardry games for the pce)! Good grief, this video game quality guy, and powered up games are just insane with their pricing! Someone needs to put em in their place! To top things off, he won't even go down on parasol stars complete:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Parasol-Stars-Turbo-Grafx-16-Complete-Game-TG16-/260872824019?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D2%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5381384094781059253
Offered him $30 and got ignored. Lame.

SMF

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 01/04/2012, 05:45 PM
Quote from: guest on 01/03/2012, 03:19 PM
Why of course.  Nothing but the best!  :lol:

At first I though this $90 copy of Wizardry I & II was a ripoff, but then I noticed it was teh rarez 90% English version.  A steal at any price!
$90? Its already 90% english (as with the other wizardry games for the pce)! Good grief, this video game quality guy, and powered up games are just insane with their pricing! Someone needs to put em in their place! To top things off, he won't even go down on parasol stars complete:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Parasol-Stars-Turbo-Grafx-16-Complete-Game-TG16-/260872824019?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D2%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5381384094781059253
Offered him $30 and got ignored. Lame.
Lol yea I know that seller I tried to get a game off him a year ago I think, I think Cyber-Core he was askng $20 I offered $15 got turned down then just to be an ass I offered $19 and he accepted it lol. Maybe if you offered $40 he would say yes lol.

NecroPhile

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: guest on 01/04/2012, 06:01 PMEven $30 might've been too much for Parasol Stars.
You are probably right, but I paid $20 for the loosey of it, I was hoping to get the complete one and raffle off the loosey here. Might just create a wanted thread for it... At any rate, something needs to be done about these gougers and about you can do is buy your pceware here.

Samurai Ghost

Arkhan Asylum

I want to go buy a few sealed, overpriced games and film myself unsealing them and accidentally ripping boxes
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

blueraven

There was some guy that used to film himself destroying video games for shock value that someone posted here awhile back.

My reaction was basically; If you're that much of a fucking loser and that's the only way you can get attention, then your sucking at life.

Does anyone know why he did that?

esteban

Why did he smash games? To get attention. And, it worked. ;)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

chany60126

Bernie