10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Possible Fake copy of Sapphire on ebay (if it is fake its very expenseive ;))

Started by Tablet, 08/24/2007, 08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tablet

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RARE-Sapphire-NEc-super-cd-rom-2-LIKE-NEW_W0QQitemZ320136922475QQihZ011QQcategoryZ64105QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

I went on a mission today to actually try and find a real copy of this game (i dont intend to buy it, i just want to look at it and drool over it of course  :lol:), and well i found it (dont worry im not buying) luckily i had read up on the german pirates from here:

wayback.superpcenginegrafx.net/sapcomp1.html

The only thing that makes this version on ebay look like a fake is the silver strip on the disc spindal looks too thick, i cant tell the colour differences from the photos, if it is a fake i feel sorry for who ever buys it this for this price.

Also Item location, France very close to Germany indeed  :-k

SignOfZeta

Quote from: TabletAlso Item location, France very close to Germany indeed  :-k
What difference does that make? Fake Sapphires are on every continent by this point.

Its pretty hard to tell a fake one from a real one unless you really know what you are looking at, and the photos are really good. I think you might be right about the center of the CD though.

Either way, I think at this point that anyone who buys a copy of Sapphire on eBay for more than $40 is kind of being stupid. You're pretty much guaranteed to be screwed.
IMG

Turbo D

Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

shubibiman

Fake

(location : Osaka, France. I didn't know we had taken over Japan lately :p)
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

SuperDeadite

Eh just send the guy a request for pictures proving that its real.  If the guy refuses, then its certainly a fake.  Its really that easy.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

peperocket

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 08/24/2007, 09:29 PMEither way, I think at this point that anyone who buys a copy of Sapphire on eBay for more than $40 is kind of being stupid. You're pretty much guaranteed to be screwed.
How much do you have buy your copy  ??
Vive la Supergrafx !!!

Turbo D

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 08/25/2007, 06:04 AMEh just send the guy a request for pictures proving that its real.  If the guy refuses, then its certainly a fake.  Its really that easy.
You can tell the manual is a fake off the bat from CrackTiger's comparison. So most likely the cd will be too.

Quote from: peperocket on 08/25/2007, 06:18 AM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 08/24/2007, 09:29 PMEither way, I think at this point that anyone who buys a copy of Sapphire on eBay for more than $40 is kind of being stupid. You're pretty much guaranteed to be screwed.
How much do you have buy your copy  ??
Fakes go for $40 US and real ones go for $300 US and up
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

SuperDeadite

Yes this copy is certainly fake, I meant Sapphire sales in general.  I bought my copy in a real store, and the staff had no problems with me opening and inspecting it.  All the rare game stores here in Japan are quite aware of the bootlegs now.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

NecroPhile

Yep, it's definitely a bootleg copy.  The inner ring and shrink wrap strip location are dead giveaways, even when the colors don't give it away.  Another ebay douche trying to catch a sucker.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Keranu

I wonder if these bootlegs can cause the price of the real copies to go down.  :-k
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Turbo D

I doubt it. I usually see people buying the bootlegs for like $150 and up on ebay, its sad really.
IMG IMG
IMG

Keith Courage

BlueBMW

[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

nectarsis

My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

roflmao

Looking at what he's recently bought, he sure could fit in here.

BlueBMW

[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

HercTNT

That copy of Sapphire used to be mine. The person selling is a friend of mine.  When i recieved it, it did not work in my duo. I dont know why. I pmed bartre and thanked him for the raffle, even though the disk did not work. I remember my friend telling me he was bummed out that he missed that raffle and was jealous that i had it. I told him, if it worked in his duo it was his. It did, so i gave it to him. He later told me he was not very good at it and was gonna sell it. I gave it away as a gift so thats his business. not sure what else to say.

BlueBMW

Quote from: HercTNT on 02/08/2012, 11:49 PMThat copy of Sapphire used to be mine. The person selling is a friend of mine.  When i recieved it, it did not work in my duo. I dont know why. I pmed bartre and thanked him for the raffle, even though the disk did not work. I remember my friend telling me he was bummed out that he missed that raffle and was jealous that i had it. I told him, if it worked in his duo it was his. It did, so i gave it to him. He later told me he was not very good at it and was gonna sell it. I gave it away as a gift so thats his business. not sure what else to say.
Ahh, bummer to hear that.  But nothing you can do about it at this point.  Hopefully it wont sell :twisted:

HercTNT

I dont know why it would not work, i have a burned copy of sapphire that works with my arcade card just fine. For some reason the pressed cd did not. He was bummed that his post count was to low to join the raffle. So i thought i would make his day and let him have it. I guess he did not like it.

soop

How can you not like it?!

You know how The Kung Fu is one of the cards you pull out to demonstrate the PC Engines abilities?  Sapphire is the Super CD I pull out to impress my friends :D

I have one friend who's a real Shoot'emup fan, and his jaw pretty much hit the floor :D
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

NecroPhile

Quote from: HercTNTThe person selling is a friend of mine.... He was bummed that his post count was to low to join the raffle.
So what's his ID so we all know who to not let in on any future giveaways?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

xcrement5x

I can understand your reasoning, but I was lucky enough to get a copy and even though I'm really bad at the game I would never dream of selling it just because it was given to me as a gift.  I don't want to turn this into witch hunt territory, but if he was going to sell it he should have either listed it at 99c, or started at the going rate of the Arcade Card Duo (appx $25?) and let it move from there.  A listing starting at $100 minimum is kind of a kick in the balls.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

sirhcman

Quote from: HercTNT on 02/08/2012, 11:49 PMThat copy of Sapphire used to be mine. The person selling is a friend of mine.  When i recieved it, it did not work in my duo. I dont know why. I pmed bartre and thanked him for the raffle, even though the disk did not work. I remember my friend telling me he was bummed out that he missed that raffle and was jealous that i had it. I told him, if it worked in his duo it was his. It did, so i gave it to him. He later told me he was not very good at it and was gonna sell it. I gave it away as a gift so thats his business. not sure what else to say.
Knowing it was a giveaway didn't you tell him the "etiquette" of this release? I know its his business to do what he wants with it but its kinda shitty that you aren't even telling this guy that he probably shouldn't sell it.

It could look bad on you here in the future for giveaways as well, just saying

sirhcman

Quote from: guest on 02/09/2012, 09:47 AM
Quote from: HercTNTThe person selling is a friend of mine.... He was bummed that his post count was to low to join the raffle.
So what's his ID so we all know who to not let in on any future giveaways?
Cosigned

Bernie

hmm..  I sent him a message on Ebay,  basically letting him know that people know what he is doing.  I told him if he had just sold the Arcade Card, for a decent price, and added the Sapphire as a bonus item then it would have been cool.  But selling something that was given to him, that was FREE to begin with is shitty.  Sure, its his to do as he please.  But I still said what I had to say.  I damn sure wouldnt be happy with my "friend" if they done this.  Its bullshit.

EDIT:

Here is his message back.  Looks like he is going to be cool about it.  :)
QuoteI didn't know how much to sell the arcade card for. I thought it was a good price. I will change it.

HercTNT

sirhcman  thats the dummest thing i ever heard. Its not my job to police other peoples decisions friend or not.  The fact that i was straight up honest with you guys should tell you something so dont get stuck on stupid. 

xcrement5x  once again, its not my reasoning, hes his own person and can do as he pleases. its not my place to tell him either way.

I'm not for or against his choice because its his choice.  I was honest to try to avoid a situation like this. Blue did not go overboard and neither should any of you.

sirhcman

Quote from: HercTNT on 02/09/2012, 06:05 PMsirhcman  thats the dummest thing i ever heard. Its not my job to police other peoples decisions friend or not.  The fact that i was straight up honest with you guys should tell you something so dont get stuck on stupid. 
To each his own.. I'm sorry my post was the "dummest" thing you have ever heard

nectarsis

Quote from: HercTNT on 02/09/2012, 06:05 PMBlue did not go overboard and neither should any of you.
I would PAY to see BM ever blow up...cats the most laid back peep I've ever met.
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

HercTNT

Sirchcman, and i'm sorry you dont have respect for my honesty. I have nothing against you, but telling me its on my ass cause i cant control his choices is numb.

yes Blue is very laid back and i have huge respect for him because of it.

sirhcman

Quote from: HercTNT on 02/09/2012, 07:45 PMSirchcman, and i'm sorry you dont have respect for my honesty. I have nothing against you, but telling me its on my ass cause i cant control his choices is numb.

yes Blue is very laid back and i have huge respect for him because of it. 
Herc, I do respect that you came on and said that it was your copy, you didn't even have to do that! What I find disappointing is your friend didn't own up to it himself (since it was mentioned he has an account here). I have never had a problem with you and still don't. I wasn't trying to make a threat about the future giveaways, just that some people might think twice in the future. I hope that I am wrong and more than likely I am because this is a really great community!

I hope this clears up any bad feelings you may think I have for you and for the record if I do any more giveaways in the future you are more than welcome to sign up!

HercTNT

I appreciate that, and people are gonna disagree sometimes. If he tried to pawn this stuff off on this forum i would say you guys should have at him. But he didnt. It belongs to him. he decided he wanted to sell it. And he put it up on ebay. Thats his right.  I encouraged him to join these forums. But him being a member of these forums has absolutely nothing to do with how he conducts his business outside of them no matter how much it might irritate anyone else. I dont remember him signing up for the fuck ebay club.  
I was honest
its his business
I apologize for offending anyone, but i'm not anyones mother.
I consider the matter closed

Edit:  He called me wanting to know whats up, we talked briefly. He wants everyone to know that he had no idea that it would offend so many. He is going to relist the arcade card with other games and give the Sapphire cd away for free with the sale.  If you want to know why he did not post this himself, its because he is on a business trip and ask if i would handle it. I agreed.

Bernie

soop

Yeah, I have to say I do respect Herc for being honest.  It's just a misunderstanding we should put behind us :)

Still don't understand how he could dislike such an awesome game though!  :P

xcrement5x

HercTNT,
Props to you an your buddy for responding in such level headed way.  There are plenty of other forums I've been on where someone would rather flip out in defense rather than have a civil conversation.  Makes for bad drama, but a good community :P
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

nat

I foresaw problems like this arising from people signing up and post whoring just to be able to participate in these raffles. Everythings all smiles and giggles until one of these people gets the game in their hands, then it's "Oh I suck guess I'll have to sell this off for top dollar."

I'm glad this didn't turn out quite like that, but nothing makes me sicker than bottom feeders capitalizing off the charity of good people.

(Disclaimer: Not implying HercTNT or his friend is a bottom feeder.)
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

SignOfZeta

Sapphire has unlimited continues. If he can't beat it he's not going to beat any shooters on PCE or anywhere else. This excuse is pretty...fake sounding, IMO. 

What is the guy's property, what is his right, all those lame excuses don't change the fact that what he did was pretty dick. He just got the thing for free, from someone else that got it for free, and then tried to get a world record price for it. Kind of dick. As has been said, it's his right to be a dick as there are no laws that say being a dick is illegal, but dick is as dick does. Dick.
IMG

HercTNT

Zeta, why so angry lately?  Funny how everybody is so level headed and your always so pissed. Take a deep breath, it will be ok :) He went back and fixed it zeta. The community spoke, he listened, no harm done.

Its the spirit of the community to give. Many have been generous to me and i have always been grateful for it have i not?  He's a close friend, he wanted it, i gave. was that not the right thing to do? After that, what do you expect from me?  Honesty? was i not honest enough?  Is there any amount of honesty that would satisfy you?  if not its on you not me. relax, bernie called him out and he responded and now its better. why would you try to make it worse?

SignOfZeta

I'm not pissed. I'm saying negative things about the guy, but I'm not angry. I'll say negative things about Christopher Columbus and leprosy, but I'm not "angry" at them. This, BTW, is nothing new, so I don't know what you mean by "lately'.

Also, I'm not sure why you are trying to defend what you did, or why you think I'm attacking you for it, or that I "want" something from you or your dick friend.

And yeah, he apologized, which is more than we get from dicks like RoyVegas*, and I forgive him (your friend, not RoyVegas, that dick is unrepentant to this day) but he still did a dick thing. His 2nd hand apology doesn't instantly erase his deed from history. If we ever get to know him then I'm sure we'll forget about all of this. Right now though, all we know of him is this one thing.

*Cue RoyVegas making his monthly post to defend himself
IMG

HercTNT

Fair enough. I just thought it was kinda odd that you had plenty of time to respond to this thread but did not do so until after it was settled. Thats your right mind you, but probably poor timing. wouldnt you defend a friend. I'm not thrilled with the situation, but i stepped in to do whats right. You dont know the guy, everyone gets one mistake right? or is it one strike your out? Hes not a bad guy, he's also not a retro gamer. He came here cause i asked him to. he's younger than me, and i'm trying to introduce him to the classics, especially the pce. He never owned one, or an snes until i gave him one, so he does not know what its about. I'm trying to teach him, but it takes time. Patience is a virture, bernie gave him the benefit of the doubt and gave him a chance. You come right out lips a flapping screaming dick. Everyone else gave him a chance. I know your not an asshole, i like you just fine, but that kinda stuff looks assholeish.
Yes i'm being defensive, but not for myself, i dont care what anyone thinks of me. I know i did the right thing. I just dont want just one mistake to define a new member of the community. Innocent until proven guilty remember..........

Duo_R

Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

HercTNT

Duo-r, your the guy that does the nes to pce controller mod. I had no idea.  I tried to make that circuit and failed miserably. I have no idea what i did wrong. I was able to get about three buttons to work and nothing else.

sorry, i was following the link under your name. i have been to your page a bunch of times and never put two and two together.

soop

Zeta, I'm assuming that the friend referred to in this thread is the same one, who along with Herc's wife, bought him a PC Engine GT for xmas.  Now if it is, I think it's enough to infer enough about his charachter from that incident as you're doing from the sapphire incident?

He sounds like a really thoughtful kind friend who made one mistake.

HercTNT

Zeta, I apologize for my last post, I am getting a tad carried away. I will maintain however I think your on the wrong side of the fence on this one.

Were just gonna have to agree to disagree. For whats its worth, if not for my friend i would not even be in these forums as i would not have any of the turbo gear i have now.

That kinda loyalty from a friend tends to get returned in kind.

Duo_R

Yup thats me! Its been a while but i have converted a couple of controllers, its a fun project  if you had it oartually working it sounds like you were close. Some wires might not have good connections.

And it sounds like you took care of the Saphire deal with your friend to me, so i think it is all good.

Quote from: HercTNT on 02/11/2012, 02:57 AMDuo-r, your the guy that does the nes to pce controller mod. I had no idea.  I tried to make that circuit and failed miserably. I have no idea what i did wrong. I was able to get about three buttons to work and nothing else.

sorry, i was following the link under your name. i have been to your page a bunch of times and never put two and two together.

HercTNT

Thanks man, i figured it was gonna suck but the support overall has been very positive.  Yea that project was fun, and frustrating at the same time. Unfortunately i did not follow your instructions the first time i attempted it and i should have.  I pissed me off bad enough that i have not reattempted it. The other guys instructions i followed were rather vague on a few key points so i had to guess. And i'm assuming i guessed wrong. Someday i'm gonna take another crack at it.

Duo_R

Yeah it can be frustrating the first time especially when it doesn't work. The PDF I did has alot if details and photos. I even got Turbo buttons to work for a NES Sansui controller.

HercTNT

I think part of the problem was i attempted to make my own cord. I did not want to ruin a turbo controller so i used 8 wire cat 5 cable and a mini din connector. Oddly enough the mini din, did not line up exactly with the mini din connector on my duo.  Until i'm willing to ruin a turbo controller to attempt the mod, it will probably be awhile before i try again.

Vecanti

Quote from: soop on 02/09/2012, 04:40 AMYou know how The Kung Fu is one of the cards you pull out to demonstrate the PC Engines abilities?
=D&gt; I love how you slid that in and no one even noticed.  I was like, WTF? The Kung Fu is the one card I hide from people I'm showing my system to. 

"Oh what's that game?"

"Oh that's not for this, it's...aaaa.....one of those old Sega Master system cards.  How did this get over here.  Oops."

soop

Quote from: Vecanti on 02/12/2012, 02:45 AM
Quote from: soop on 02/09/2012, 04:40 AMYou know how The Kung Fu is one of the cards you pull out to demonstrate the PC Engines abilities?
=D&gt; I love how you slid that in and no one even noticed.  I was like, WTF? The Kung Fu is the one card I hide from people I'm showing my system to. 

"Oh what's that game?"

"Oh that's not for this, it's...aaaa.....one of those old Sega Master system cards.  How did this get over here.  Oops." 
Lol, you know what I mean - the massive sprites :D

Herc, that mini Din connector comes in 2 flavours, known as "c" and "u" because they're aligned slightly differently.  I got mine from here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Male-8-pin-Mini-DIN-Mini-DIN-Connector-Adapter-/220792460143?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item336841936f which I think is the same one?

But then I didn't use it for a controller, I used it for an RGB mod (which is still in pieces on the floor...)

HercTNT

Soop your awesome. I had no idea. that would explain most of my problems trying to get that mod to work.