10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Turbo Gouging on Ebay ( r.i.p. - gouging much )

Started by NecroPhile, 08/03/2010, 04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alt-Nintega

Quote from: Senshi on 02/11/2012, 01:05 PMthat's mildly interesting but not $260 interesting
I love the subtle sarcasm :)

HercTNT

I have a snickers bar that says not packaged for individual resale. can i sell it for extra?

Alt-Nintega

I have a Sonic 2 that says Not For Resale. Can I gouge that for 200?

BigT

Quote from: Psycho Alt-Nintega on 02/11/2012, 12:02 PMcheck out this amazing deal!!! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Keith-Courage-Alpha-Zones-TurboGrafx-16-Kiosk-Version-Store-9209-/220952075566?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item3371c51d2e
So, if I print out a generic label with an address, slap it onto a Keith Courage Hucard and then scribble something using a sharpie on the back... I can get $260?

My offer for that item would be $2.

Alt-Nintega

It's amazing how these sellers take advantage of Turbo's great collectability and it's great fan base. I mean they dedicate their lives to research and finding rare items etc. The crazy part is, many of them don't even care about these items and are probably surprised that they are selling cardboard boxes and pieces of plastic for hundreds and  thousands. Just a very cold way of looking at it I guess.

It's sad that our love for the NEC consoles and games is used into making random people rich.

xcrement5x

Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

CrackTiger

How do people come up with these unique prices? I'm not talking about the fact that they are over priced. I mean, why $170 instead of $100, $150 or $200?. The more a game is overpriced, the more it makes me wonder how the seller came to choose the final number. In the case of a $30 game, why stop at $170? Why not ask $370?
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Vecanti

Quote from: Psycho Alt-Nintega on 02/11/2012, 12:02 PMcheck out this amazing deal!!! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Keith-Courage-Alpha-Zones-TurboGrafx-16-Kiosk-Version-Store-9209-/220952075566?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item3371c51d2e
Part of me wants to say, FAKE!  First, by the time TTI came around were they (would they) still using Keith Courage as a Demo game for the system?  I could understand if the store just opened a new system box and just used the game in there, but we have to believe TTI, said hmm... what game should we send out to show off the system, and then they SPECIFICALLY chose and labeled Keith Courage cards?  That late in the game? 

2nd, the receipt.  Why no date?  Why is it cut off?  Why a receipt at all?  Has anyone had one of these thermal printed receipts even for 5 years?  They are usually unreadable in my experience.

Not that it matters I guess, it's a Keith Courage cart with a sticker.  If it was some sort of actual special demo chip that would be different.

turbofan1

Alt-Nintega

Quote from: Vecanti on 02/12/2012, 02:16 AM
Part of me wants to say, FAKE!  First, by the time TTI came around were they (would they) still using Keith Courage as a Demo game for the system?  I could understand if the store just opened a new system box and just used the game in there, but we have to believe TTI, said hmm... what game should we send out to show off the system, and then they SPECIFICALLY chose and labeled Keith Courage cards?  That late in the game? 

2nd, the receipt.  Why no date?  Why is it cut off?  Why a receipt at all?  Has anyone had one of these thermal printed receipts even for 5 years?  They are usually unreadable in my experience.

Not that it matters I guess, it's a Keith Courage cart with a sticker.  If it was some sort of actual special demo chip that would be different. 
yeah but even if it were real. Is there any reason for this ridiculous price?

SMF

Legend of Hero Tonma loose Huey BUY IT NOW $165. Best part is the sellers listing states ITS AS ELUSIVE AS MAGICAL CHASE LOL.
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

Alt-Nintega

what the cheapest price you seen for Legend of Hero Tomna?

BigT

I agree with your analysis... this has a pretty reasonable chance of being fake and the receipt is pretty useless in providing proof of authenticity... we would need someone from that era who worked at TTI or Toys R Us to authenticate it.

But, overall, it's a moot point... even if it were authentic, I'd pay $5 max for the curiosity factor...

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: Psycho Alt-Nintega on 02/12/2012, 05:47 PMwhat the cheapest price you seen for Legend of Hero Tomna?
I saw it at the retro gaming convention in Portland for $30.

Alt-Nintega

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 02/12/2012, 07:18 PM
Quote from: Psycho Alt-Nintega on 02/12/2012, 05:47 PMwhat the cheapest price you seen for Legend of Hero Tomna?
tell me you bought it? please.

nat

Since when was Hero Tonma expensive? I bought mine within the past 2 years for $40, and it included the manual.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Alt-Nintega

I think 40 bucks is the most I will ever pay for any Turbo game. So if I see LHT for 30 or 40 bucks I would jump on it.

djolof

I bought a copy of it (LOHT) this past year for under $30 USD... surprised to see it going for as much as it has recently.

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: Psycho Alt-Nintega on 02/12/2012, 07:28 PM
No I didn't buy it, wasn't what I was after at the time. If I were you, I would be patient and get one for cheap instead of paying inflated ebay prices. Or look around for local (or semi-local) retro gaming conventions, theres bound to be a few coming up in your area.

Alt-Nintega

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 02/12/2012, 08:12 PM
Quote from: Psycho Alt-Nintega on 02/12/2012, 07:28 PM
No I didn't buy it, wasn't what I was after at the time. If I were you, I would be patient and get one for cheap instead of paying inflated ebay prices. Or look around for local (or semi-local) retro gaming conventions, theres bound to be a few coming up in your area.
yeah, thanks for advice. I wouldn't pay more than 40 bucks for any video game anyways. Doesn't matter what console.

btw, order of griffon on ebay starting bid 1 dollar

NecroPhile

My thoughts exactly.  By the time TTi rolled around, they'd be demoing Duos with one of its demo discs.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

VestCunt

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEC-TurboGrafx-16-Black-Console-w-Turbobooster-Games-/120858957451?pt=Video_Games&hash=item1c23c1568b

I wonder how many guys are watching this with $$ in their eyes, thinking "let's see, I can get $100-150 for each game, $200 for Soldier Blade, $300 for the deck, plus $100 for the Turbobooster.  I'll be rich, I tell you!  Rich!
Topic Adjourned.

Sparky

Quote from: VestCunt on 02/13/2012, 04:54 PMhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/NEC-TurboGrafx-16-Black-Console-w-Turbobooster-Games-/120858957451?pt=Video_Games&hash=item1c23c1568b

I wonder how many guys are watching this with $$ in their eyes, thinking "let's see, I can get $100-150 for each game, $200 for Soldier Blade, $300 for the deck, plus $100 for the Turbobooster.  I'll be rich, I tell you!  Rich!
hahaha... ya man, it will be a resellers battle for this lot i bet :(

NecroPhile

Quote from: VestCunt on 02/13/2012, 04:54 PMhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/NEC-TurboGrafx-16-Black-Console-w-Turbobooster-Games-/120858957451?pt=Video_Games&hash=item1c23c1568b

I wonder how many guys are watching this with $$ in their eyes, thinking "let's see, I can get $100-150 for each game, $200 for Soldier Blade, $300 for the deck, plus $100 for the Turbobooster.  I'll be rich, I tell you!  Rich!
Wow, that's just nuts.  There's a few rare-ish titles there, but that's too high of a total even if priced separately.... and there's five days left!!!

SMF

Lol what's funny is he puts 3 games up front that are cheap commons lol. Even if it sold for the price its at now you wouldn't even make back what you paid if you pieced it out.

Alt-Nintega

holy mother of snap!!! that auction is over 600 bucks now.

god bless that seller. He had no idea probably. Never had the intention to price gouge and he will make some decent buck on that.

Example of a great seller that will get rewarded with nice cash.

what was his starting bid? a buck?

Samurai Ghost

Damn, that's a nice lot! I'm sure it will end up going for big bucks.

NecroPhile

The seller ended it early for $610.99 plus whatever the buyer may or may not have offered for the privilege.  Expect to see everything up in ziploc baggies for OMG RAREZ pricing next week.

KingofGames

Hey, I was the winner of the listing. I was in discussions with the seller through the weekend. He was going to add a buy it now, but the bids had already been placed. I was the high bidder at around $300, but I felt that wasn't a fair price for him. I was bid up to $600 by Monday morning. I felt like that was a price we could both feel good about. He had mentioned in one of his emails that he would understand if I retracted my bid as they are not mint. However, I told him I was more than happy to purchase them and that I was willing to pay at the very least the amount that was showing. I mentioned if he wanted to end immediately, I would pay immediately. Next thing you know, the games are enroute to me. :-)

NecroPhile

Well, you paid a premium for that set.  Hope you enjoy it though.

KingofGames

Yeah, I paid more than I normally would, but I've had a tremendous string of luck lately. Found a box of random Magic the Gathering cards for $10, sold a portion of the cards for $500 to a local shop. Made a trade for a Duo which consisted of 11 GC games I paid $67 for. Duo supposedly wasn't working, but it powered on fine. Replaced some caps, and now all functions seem to work. I just couldn't pass up that Soldier Blade, what with the unexpected cash flow and the functioning Duo.

CrackTiger

Quote from: NecroPhile on 02/14/2012, 09:46 AMThe seller ended it early for $610.99 plus whatever the buyer may or may not have offered for the privilege.  Expect to see everything up in ziploc baggies for OMG RAREZ pricing next week.
The fact that the lot sold for such a high price rules out the buyer being a flipper. The items already breakdown separately to the top end of gouged selling prices. Sounds like KingofGames paid very little cash in the end, hopefully he'll get good use out of everything.

Unfortunately, real gougers are going to use this auction as a base for upcoming listings and ignore the cheaper ones.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

KingofGames

I was going to offer the seller $750 for everything when I was the high bidder at $300~. The way our hobby is going, I didn't see any way around paying big bucks to get boxed copies. Heck, I saw a boxed Soldier Blade auction for $350 recently. I figured at $600, I'm paying around $50 per boxed title, $125 for the core unit, and $75 for the booster. Seemed more than fair to me. I'm fairly certain some of those hu-cards hit that $50 range alone.

BigusSchmuck

I'm sorry, but thats just feeding the ebay troll. You could have gotten most of those titles over at amazon for a lot less.

KingofGames

Hmm, Soldier Blade, Chase HQ, Shockman, and dead moon aren't coming up. Cheapest Samurai Ghost is $89, Jackie Chan is $75~, cheapest Raiden is $69.99, cheapest Order of the Griffon is $45, and Air Zonk is $19.99. That's $300 for five games, pretty sure all hu-card only. Cheapest system is $75 and the booster is $175. Really, I think I got a great deal.

Thank the Lord your system of choice is NEC's! You should check out the NES market.

CrackTiger

The only way overpriced items continue to sell is when people decide on the spur of the moment to buy a particular game from a single source (usually eBay) and look at the imediately available listings only and decide "well, if the only copies of Keith Courage for sale start at $900, then that must be a sweet deal and the rest with higher prices must be normal".

If I based values on my local craigslist, then I'd know for a fact that "Sega Play Stations" (not made up) are worth hundreds of dollars.

KingofGames

I couldn't disagree more. A person's asking price has nothing to do with the perceived value, Craigslist or otherwise. What I put more thought into are actual sale prices, such as:

Air Zonk - http://item.ebay.com/150718235539
Dead Moon - http://item.ebay.com/140591509724
D&D: Order of the Griffon - http://item.ebay.com/140652875401
Samurai Ghost - http://item.ebay.com/180739917334
Shockman - http://item.ebay.com/140668232327
Soldier Blade - http://item.ebay.com/180739918578

I can't even find recent listings for complete copies of Chase HQ or Jackie Chan. Most of those listings are open auctions with no reserve. Absolutely no price gauging involved from the seller. Maybe I just have a stronger appreciation for collectibles, but I understand why someone would pay $100+ for a complete copy of a game. I know I've done it before. When I was 17, I went through the effort of importing a PC Engine Duo with a copy of Akumajo Dracula X: Chi No Rondo. It was worth every penny. If my only interest was in playing games, I would simply download them (illegally, or legally through the Wii for a couple bucks a piece). I'm not sure if these particular titles are available, but I know I would much prefer to own a complete copy of Chi No Rondo over the Wii version.

NecroPhile

You can post whatever you want to try to 'prove' it's a good deal, but we know better.  Case in point: why believe Dead Moon is worth $111.50 when you can get it for $42?

If eBay's search would let me go back more than a couple weeks, I'm sure I could compile a list of sold auctions with a total at (or under) your package's price.  But therein lies the rub - buying in quantity should be cheaper, as the sum of the parts is worth less than the whole in this case.

KingofGames

That's the nature of the auction business. The listing I posted was in similar condition. There is another recent listing that sold for $90. What I'm saying is that these games don't have a set value. They're simply worth what a person is willing to pay at that moment. Check out Little Samson on NES. I purchased a copy last year for $85. Today, they are fetching over $200. So is the game worth $85 or $200? Neither answer is correct, but the market shows that people are willing to pay upwards to $200 today. Assuming someone were to buy each item in the bundle individually, what do you think a good/fair price would be?

nectarsis

Quote from: KingofGames on 02/14/2012, 04:54 PMThat's the nature of the auction business. The listing I posted was in similar condition. There is another recent listing that sold for $90. What I'm saying is that these games don't have a set value. They're simply worth what a person is willing to pay at that moment. Check out Little Samson on NES. I purchased a copy last year for $85. Today, they are fetching over $200. So is the game worth $85 or $200? Neither answer is correct, but the market shows that people are willing to pay upwards to $200 today. Assuming I someone were to buy each item in the bundle individually, what do you think a good/fair price would be?
Yet not every copy sells for $200 ;)
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

Senshi

What's wrong with the NES market? I thought most games were cheap?
PSN: Dynastic_Hero
Steam: Dynastic_Hero

NecroPhile

Quote from: nectarsis on 02/14/2012, 04:55 PMYet not every copy sells for $200 ;)
Exactly.  It's silly to think that anything lower than the absolute highest price you can find is a bargain.

KingofGames

But $200 isn't the absolute highest price on Little Samson:

http://item.ebay.com/180802568454

The lowest documented sale in the last few months is $170. As of today, I don't think it's unfair to say the game is worth $200. If you were to try to trade for a copy, what value would you put on it? If you were trying to trade a copy yourself, what value then?

In any case, these TG-16 titles don't seem to pop up very often in this condition. At the end of the day, I'm happy with my purchase, even if I paid a premium.

KingofGames

Quote from: Senshi on 02/14/2012, 05:10 PMWhat's wrong with the NES market? I thought most games were cheap?
I think there are around 650 NES games. Many of the cart-only titles are dirt cheap. However, once you start looking into complete copies, you're looking at a monster. Just look at the black box titles (Volleyball, Donkey Kong Jr. Math, Balloon Fight, Urban Champion, etc.). A $5 cart can fetch upwards to $500 if complete and in mint shape. I saw a copy of Donkey Kong Jr. Math sell for $1,500 last year in near perfect shape.

SMF

Quote from: KingofGames on 02/14/2012, 05:24 PM
Quote from: Senshi on 02/14/2012, 05:10 PMWhat's wrong with the NES market? I thought most games were cheap?
I think there are around 650 NES games. Many of the cart-only titles are dirt cheap. However, once you start looking into complete copies, you're looking at a monster. Just look at the black box titles (Volleyball, Donkey Kong Jr. Math, Balloon Fight, Urban Champion, etc.). A $5 cart can fetch upwards to $500 if complete and in mint shape. I saw a copy of Donkey Kong Jr. Math sell for $1,500 last year in near perfect shape.
I have a boxed copy of Bonks Adventure NES I will sell to you for $1000000000000. You gotta get the attachement to play NES games on the TG16 tho and that will also set you back $90000000.

MotherGunner

It's really funny how you can't take ANY of this shit with you to the next life.  I wonder how important Donkey Kong Jr. Math will be then when you're on your death bed?
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

KingofGames

We aren't taking anything with us. Relationships, dwellings, property, debt, sickness; it all stays behind. At the end of the day, nothing really matters. Regardless of that, Donkey Kong Jr. Math still fetches $300-$1,500 depending on condition.

MotherGunner

Lol right on King, that actually made me chuckle  (I was reading it with a sideshow voice).

Step right up!  We aren't taking anything with us. Relationships, dwellings, property, debt, sickness; it all stays behind! At the end of the day, nothing really matters! Regardless of that, Donkey Kong Jr. Math still fetches $300-$1,500 depending on condition!
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: KingofGames on 02/14/2012, 05:53 PMWe aren't taking anything with us. Relationships, dwellings, property, debt, sickness; it all stays behind. At the end of the day, nothing really matters. Regardless of that, Donkey Kong Jr. Math still fetches $300-$1,500 depending on condition.
Crack smoke. Enough said.
Just like these guys trying to sell E.T sealed for the Atari 2600:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-FACTORY-SEALED-SHRINK-WRAPPED-E-T-EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL-ATARI-2600-7800-/250994773845?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item3a70744f55
What did they do? Go dig up E.T in the New Mexico landfill? Regardless to say, feeding the gougers is only going to bring more gouging.

SMF

I know what's gonna happen to my houses cars and collection of collectables when I die. My kids are gonna keep what they want and more then likely sell off the rest and enjoy the fruits of my labor lol.