PC Engine Homebrew News: The duo that brought you FX-Unit Yuki returns! A demo for "Nyanja!" is available, an action platformer akin to games like Bubble Bobble & Snow Bros in gameplay style.
Main Menu

Turbo Gouging on Ebay ( r.i.p. - gouging much )

Started by NecroPhile, 08/03/2010, 04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KingofGames

Quote from: SMF on 02/14/2012, 06:10 PMI know what's gonna happen to my houses cars and collection of collectables when I die. My kids are gonna keep what they want and more then likely sell off the rest and enjoy the fruits of my labor lol.
Ain't that the truth, lol. If I ever have kids, I sure hope they like video games, cuz yikes! I'm gunning hard for some pretty stupid stuff.

MotherGunner

Yea, but I see a lot of picker and pawn shows where the "Kids" (now grown up) come in and take massive amounts of losses from the gouging dealers just so they can make up for their inability to manage their finances well.  It's a sad end to the fruits of one's labor...
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

KingofGames

It would take me hours to detail the amount of crazy picks I've made over the last two years. For whatever reason, people tend to forget about the valuable things they used to cherish. Just as a quick example, I picked up a 560~ game NES collection for $900 last year. A bunch of the games were complete, but the boxes were destroyed. Who knows, maybe some day I'll forget about this collection in my old age and some young punk like me will end up with it.

MotherGunner

Yes and for MUCH less than $900 if negative circumstances in life take hold...
-MG

KingofGames

Sorry, that was poor wording. THAT collection of NES games is gone. Sold it for approximately $4,000. But my own personal collection, who knows where that baby will end up.

SMF

The way i look at it is its giving me happiness now and thats all that matters to me, Hate to say it but i know when the day comes my kids will sell that shit on ebay lol.
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

MotherGunner

I tend to rely on God, Family, Wife, and Son to give me happiness in the now rather than material things.  Don't get me wrong, I like video games (especially PCE/TG), but I can EASILY give it all up and not look back.  One of the reasons I even come here now is because of some of the frienships I've formed over the years...
-MG

KingofGames

I completely respect that and actually agree wholeheartedly with you. If I could own every single video game in the world, I would love to. However, I would never put a need, either of myself or my family, below any material goods. To be honest, I enjoy the hunt more than any other aspect of collecting. I could sell these TG-16 goodies the day I receive them and I would still feel proud that I at least owned them for a short while.

SMF

I live for the hunt, Garage sales, Estate Sales, Flea Markets, Bizars you name it. There is no feeling in the world you get when your walking by a booth or whatever and you see it.... Be it a controller or a Huey you get the sudden rush to dig thru everything on the table.

That and showing your kids what "that thing is" is what helps relive memories with any Turbo stuff fn and exciting.

Also I don't choose objects over my family. I spend time with my kids and wife then after they go to bed that's when its TURBO TIME.............

KingofGames

Yeah, even if it's something unspectacular, I still get pretty amped. I was at a local thrift shop recently browsing for some finds when I stumbled upon a copy of Nascar Racing: 2003 Season on the PC, which is a $50-$80 game depending on how many copies are listed on the bay. It was only a buck, so I was happy with the find. As I further browsed the pile of CD's, I saw a TG-16 case. I squinted to see the name, which read "Military Madness." I literally exclaimed, "Fuck yeah!" I was slightly embarrassed, but the reaction was natural, lol.

NecroPhile

Quote from: KingofGames on 02/15/2012, 02:26 PMHowever, I would never put a need, either of myself or my family, below any material goods.
I'm..... uncomfortable.  :P
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

KingofGames

Sorry, that is a bit confusing. What I attempted to say was that I would never put material goods above an actual need. I wouldn't charge up a credit card or empty my coffers simply to buy something that would sit on a shelf. However, I like to treat myself to nice things when the time is right! This was one of those times. :-) I doubt many will care, but I'll update once the games arrive with images. I really am excited to add the games to my collection, for however long that may be. Next on the docket is a CIB copy of Super Star Soldier. I might have to put some of these up for grabs to nab a copy.

NecroPhile

Methinks sealed collectors are a special breed of stupid:

Dead Moon for $250 (so far), Ys Book I & II for $199, Raiden for $500 (so far), Chew-Man-Fu for $350 (so far), Super Air Zonk for $590, Shockman for $490, Air Zonk for $390, Sidearms for $125, and Parasol Stars for $270.

Note the latter five all came from the same reseller twat, where I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were some bid shilling shenanigans going on.

BlackandBlue

Quote from: guest on 02/16/2012, 11:59 AMMethinks sealed collectors are a special breed of stupid:
They just have small penises and too much money.

QuoteNote the latter five all came from the same reseller twat, where I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were some bid shilling shenanigans going on.
On ebay?!?  I thought it was the best place to buy turbo games!
Another douche trying to obtain a full Turbo collection.  119/146 so far.  Got a long way to go. Half way there. Hit the 100 mark. ich bein ein obeyer

KingofGames

Sealed collectors are definitely a whole different breed. Check out this Dragon Warrior III that ended recently. Wish I had that kinda money to toss around on a single game.

MotherGunner

Quote from: BlackandBlue on 02/16/2012, 12:05 PMThey just have small penises and too much money.
Someone (not me) once said, "It may be only 3 inches, but I have 400 lbs PUSHING IT, BITCH!"
-MG

NecroPhile

Quote from: MotherGunner on 02/16/2012, 01:47 PMSomeone (not me) once said, "It may be only 3 inches, but I have 400 lbs PUSHING IT, BITCH!"
Someone (me) once said, "Yep, it's not that big.... roll over."

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: KingofGames on 02/16/2012, 12:47 PMSealed collectors are definitely a whole different breed. Check out this Dragon Warrior III that ended recently. Wish I had that kinda money to toss around on a single game.
I tend to believe sealed games (especially when they are 20+ years old) is a load of shit. I mean seriously, who hangs onto a game sealed and not open it? Unless that individual is digging through landfills, it really makes no sense. Hell, whats stopping people from buying a shrink wrap/vacuum seal machine and seal the game and call it brand spanking new?

Senshi

Quote from: guest on 02/16/2012, 02:01 PM
Quote from: MotherGunner on 02/16/2012, 01:47 PMSomeone (not me) once said, "It may be only 3 inches, but I have 400 lbs PUSHING IT, BITCH!"
LMAO
PSN: Dynastic_Hero
Steam: Dynastic_Hero

KingofGames

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 02/16/2012, 02:33 PM
Quote from: KingofGames on 02/16/2012, 12:47 PMSealed collectors are definitely a whole different breed. Check out this Dragon Warrior III that ended recently. Wish I had that kinda money to toss around on a single game.
I tend to believe sealed games (especially when they are 20+ years old) is a load of shit. I mean seriously, who hangs onto a game sealed and not open it? Unless that individual is digging through landfills, it really makes no sense. Hell, whats stopping people from buying a shrink wrap/vacuum seal machine and seal the game and call it brand spanking new?
I think a lot of the sealed games originate from old shops closing down, storing all of their inventory, then all of those goodies resurfacing down the road. I know there are specific things to look for that are extremely difficult, if not impossible, to replicate. For example, on sealed NES games, there is a series of 4-5 vent holes on the front cover. Another indicator that is nearly impossible to fabricate is a crack in the art work where the lid bends. If there is any discoloration, cracks, or missing paint, it's an indicator that the game has indeed been opened. As you can see from the prices people are willing to pay, this is a very serious hobby.

SMF

What's stopping someone from getting a box made and tossing in a old game and sealing it? Sell 4 or 5 games and then close your ebay name lol.

KingofGames

Well, as mentioned, there are signs that typically give away a counterfeit. Certainly nothing new as far as valuable collectibles are concerned. If you're meticulous with your research, you can typically collect safely knowing that the items are legit.

MotherGunner

Quote from: guest on 02/16/2012, 02:01 PM
=D>
-MG

SMF

Quote from: KingofGames on 02/16/2012, 05:11 PMWell, as mentioned, there are signs that typically give away a counterfeit. Certainly nothing new as far as valuable collectibles are concerned. If you're meticulous with your research, you can typically collect safely knowing that the items are legit.
Yea but all I'm saying is if someone is that stupid to pay for a game they are never gonna open. Its a collectable now and all they see it as is value. Do your research and forge it the correct way and 99% of the people will never know.

Frank_fjs

Quote from: guest on 02/16/2012, 11:59 AMMethinks sealed collectors are a special breed of stupid:
Indeed. Definitely not something I can understand. I don't see the point in owning sealed games - who cares about a game unless you can play it? Fair enough if you want to grab one or two sealed games that might have been childhood favourites, but spending tens of thousands of dollars on an entire collection of sealed games that simply sit inside a cabinet and do nothing - what a waste.

KingofGames

Most collections tend to be pretty wasteful. Old coins, stamps, trading cards, artwork, etc. People will pay millions of dollars for an original piece of artwork when you can have a replica for pennies on the dollar. It's certainly a status symbol and measuring stick. Sure, you might own a copy of Magical Chase in the box, but is it factory sealed? And sure, you might also own a sealed copy of Magical Chase, but is it a VGA 85+? It's madness, but many things in life are.

xcrement5x

Quote from: KingofGames on 02/16/2012, 11:17 PMMost collections tend to be pretty wasteful. Old coins, stamps, trading cards, artwork, etc. People will pay millions of dollars for an original piece of artwork when you can have a replica for pennies on the dollar. It's certainly a status symbol and measuring stick. Sure, you might own a copy of Magical Chase in the box, but is it factory sealed? And sure, you might also own a sealed copy of Magical Chase, but is it a VGA 85+? It's madness, but many things in life are.
The difference with all those things you mentioned is that you can enjoy them remotely.  They are passive consumption because you view them, but don't interact with them. In the case of some like coins/cards if you do interact with them to flip them over and look at other side, it doesn't matter if they are sealed away because you can see all there is to see with the way they are protected. 

With sealed videogames (which were designed and sold to be played) all you see is a cardboard box in cellophane, you can't even play the game that's enclosed.   Even with action figures, at least you can look at them still when they're sealed, with a sealed game all you get is a box with (most likely) cheesy marketing text and a couple pictures on it.  Woo!
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

KingofGames

If you can enjoy looking at a trading card, stamp, coin, or action figure, you can enjoy looking at a sealed video game. I don't see how you can rationalize one and not the other. Just because you own a sealed copy of a game doesn't mean you can't own an additional copy to play. A sealed copy of Zelda for the NES would likely run $300+. However, you can pick up a cart for $5. For sealed game collectors, it's quite possible to have your cake and eat it, too.

KingofGames

For those interested, here are some pics of the bundle I purchased on Ebay. Still feel like I got a pretty nice deal!

IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
https://imageshack.com/user/Oliade677

SMF

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Legend-hero-tonma-turbo-grafx-16-/110828326521?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item19cde20e79

Hey he just keeps lowering this Huey Only Legend of Hero Tonma $160 now $125. I also noticed he changed the discription. I see its no longer as elusive as Magical Chase.  :roll:

BlueBMW

Quote from: SMF on 02/19/2012, 11:39 AMhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Legend-hero-tonma-turbo-grafx-16-/110828326521?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item19cde20e79

Hey he just keeps lowering this Huey Only Legend of Hero Tonma $160 now $125. I also noticed he changed the discription. I see its no longer as elusive as Magical Chase.  :roll:
Whats even worse... he already knows what the market will pay for it...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Legend-hero-tonma-turbo-grafx-16-/110820395968

He tried to sell it once (but no doubt had a super high reserve) just so he could see what peeps might pay for it, then he relisted it at a way higher price hoping someone would bite.  Super Douche!
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

tggodfrey

He isnt far from me.....about 45 minutes.  RLB isnt the nicest area either, easy place to get many other things too....lol.
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

Sparky

Quote from: BlueBMW on 02/19/2012, 04:30 PM
Quote from: SMF on 02/19/2012, 11:39 AMhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Legend-hero-tonma-turbo-grafx-16-/110828326521?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item19cde20e79

Hey he just keeps lowering this Huey Only Legend of Hero Tonma $160 now $125. I also noticed he changed the discription. I see its no longer as elusive as Magical Chase.  :roll:

He tried to sell it once (but no doubt had a super high reserve) just so he could see what peeps might pay for it, then he relisted it at a way higher price hoping someone would bite.  Super Douche!
ya that is pathetic, squeeze'm for ever cent he can.. hope it wont even sell at $100 when it comes time.

Samurai Ghost

Quote from: guest on 02/19/2012, 06:30 PM
Quote from: BlueBMW on 02/19/2012, 04:30 PM

ya that is pathetic, squeeze'm for ever cent he can.. hope it wont even sell at $100 when it comes time.
What's funny as I passed up an auction last night for this game for $1.50, although it was the PCE version.

bartre

is it just me or is this a lot of money?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140702597053?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_558wt_1270
granted, it is an auction, so i bet whoever's buying thinks it's some kind of steal...

Mishran

bartre

nice job dude!
lemme know if you don't want keith or takin it to the hoop, i could use the huey case off keith.

Senshi

Quote from: tggodfrey on 02/19/2012, 04:41 PMHe isnt far from me.....about 45 minutes.  RLB isnt the nicest area either, easy place to get many other things too....lol.
maybe you solved it terry, all the gougers are drug dealers!...haha  :P
PSN: Dynastic_Hero
Steam: Dynastic_Hero

NecroPhile

Quote from: guest on 02/19/2012, 06:30 PMya that is pathetic, squeeze'm for ever cent he can.. hope it wont even sell at $100 when it comes time.
Heh, he's getting close.  It's down to $105 with free shipping, only a buck more than the original auction.

SMF

Quote from: guest on 02/20/2012, 04:38 PM
Quote from: guest on 02/19/2012, 06:30 PMya that is pathetic, squeeze'm for ever cent he can.. hope it wont even sell at $100 when it comes time.
Heh, he's getting close.  It's down to $105 with free shipping, only a buck more than the original auction.
I hope everyone watching and that bid on his game sees this and knows hea shady seller.

Shrapnoid

Yes, Bartre, that's kind of high.
Mishran, you were very fortunate to get that so cheap.

Mishran

Quote from: bartre on 02/19/2012, 09:48 PMnice job dude!
lemme know if you don't want keith or takin it to the hoop, i could use the huey case off keith.
Sadly, I purchased these only for the cases. Especially Ninja Spirit. Have the game and manual, but missing the case. Will likely keep the other 2 non keith courage cases, for the TTI games I have, and give away or sell the games. I'm a terrible person... :(

bartre

heh, not really, that sounds like a good plan, pretty much what i would've done.

Shrapnoid

Has anyone noticed that the more we rant about the gouging on ebay, the higher some of these jerks raise the prices? It's almost as if they think that they're punishing us.
Kind of like the old price changing trick in Kid Icarus where you try to get the shop keeper to give you a discount but, if he gets angry or offended, he raises the prices for spite.

KingofGames

This isn't particular to any one console or game, though. Look at the rise in gaming products in general. I purchased a neon Nintendo sign and a tin Mario sign from the early 90's for $75 last year. They sold on Ebay for $400 a piece. The neon sign was a $.99 NR auction and the Mario sign was a $.99 NR auction that I accidentally listed with a $399.99 BIN. The tin sign sold in a matter of minutes. People really want this stuff. And at the prices they are paying, I can't imagine they are looking to move them any time soon. It's one less opportunity to pick up a collectible that many are after.

NecroPhile

Quote from: KingofGames on 02/21/2012, 02:18 PMThis isn't particular to any one console or game, though. Look at the rise in gaming products in general. I purchased a neon Nintendo sign and a tin Mario sign from the early 90's for $75 last year. They sold on Ebay for $400 a piece. The neon sign was a $.99 NR auction and the Mario sign was a $.99 NR auction that I accidentally listed with a $399.99 BIN. The tin sign sold in a matter of minutes. People really want this stuff.
Accidentally?!?  Tell me another one, rolfmaul!  Huzzah for resellers!!one!!1!!

MotherGunner

It's people who can't afford shit, buying up shit (running up their CC bill) and when they find out they can't afford shit, they resell shit.  I see the same frakking items keep popping up on eBay when people figure out they can't eat or pay their rent/mortgage on time.  Talk about living beyond your means...   Needless to say, bipolars are rampant on eBay.
-MG

KingofGames

Yeah, I listed them both at $400 BIN fixed listings to see what kind of interest I generated. I got plenty of views, but not a single offer. I decided to relist them as $.99 NR auctions, as I knew they would do really well. When altering the listing style, I forgot to remove the BIN option on the Mario tin sign. A watcher from the original listing probably figured the auction would go nuts and jumped on the BIN. The neon sign auctioned for just under $400, if I remember correctly.

If you want to hear another one (which I realize isn't actually the case), I recently picked up a high-end vintage cassette deck from the swap meet for $45 a few weeks ago. It's currently going for a several hundred dollars with two days remaining. Ebay never ceases to amaze me.

Gogan

Quote from: KingofGames on 02/21/2012, 02:18 PMThe neon sign was a $.99 NR auction and the Mario sign was a $.99 NR auction that I accidentally listed with a $399.99 BIN
Da fuck does that happen?!
Nothin beats the real thing.

roflmao

Quote from: KingofGames on 02/21/2012, 02:18 PMThis isn't particular to any one console or game, though. Look at the rise in gaming products in general.
I agree.  It's happening not only to OBEY, but to pretty much any good gaming from bitd.  Maybe folks our age (30-40ish?) generally have "settled down" and have a little extra income and realize that 8 and 16 bit gaming captured something that just isn't around in the newer games.  I still play a current game from time to time, but it's a different experience, generally, from what we remember when we were kids.