PC Engine Homebrew News: The duo that brought you FX-Unit Yuki returns! A demo for "Nyanja!" is available, an action platformer akin to games like Bubble Bobble & Snow Bros in gameplay style.
Main Menu

Turbo Gouging on Ebay ( r.i.p. - gouging much )

Started by NecroPhile, 08/03/2010, 04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Senshi

Quote from: guest on 02/21/2012, 03:33 PM
Quote from: KingofGames on 02/21/2012, 02:18 PMThis isn't particular to any one console or game, though. Look at the rise in gaming products in general. I purchased a neon Nintendo sign and a tin Mario sign from the early 90's for $75 last year. They sold on Ebay for $400 a piece. The neon sign was a $.99 NR auction and the Mario sign was a $.99 NR auction that I accidentally listed with a $399.99 BIN. The tin sign sold in a matter of minutes. People really want this stuff.
Accidentally?!?  Tell me another one, rolfmaul!  Huzzah for resellers!!one!!1!!
The "3" key is no where near the "9" key  :P
PSN: Dynastic_Hero
Steam: Dynastic_Hero

KingofGames

When you convert a fixed listing to an auction, it switches the fixed price to a buy it now. With a $.99 starting bid, I had no reason to list a BIN. I removed the BIN price from the neon sign, but forgot to remove it from the tin sign. Why would anyone use a $399.99 BIN when the auction starts at $.99? Beats the hell out of me, but I'm glad he did.

Senshi

I'm just busting balls. I think physical copies of old games are just going to become a luxury item and will continue to go up unless the whole thing crashes and no one gives a shit like baseball cards these days. You have emulators, Why buy a physical copy some might say. If you want the real experience of playing on actual hardware, well, you're going to have to pony up some dough for that.

KingofGames

I couldn't agree with you more. Even if you want to play through legitimate means and pay significantly less, you can pick up classic titles on the Wii. It will be interesting to see where things go. My guess is that eventually many things will tank, but the more unique/interesting stuff will continue to rise. With DLC & online passes, gaming won't be seen as a collectible much beyond the PS2/GC/Xbox era.

Shrapnoid

I thinks the whole playing on original hardware and collecting stuff associated with it is for nothing more than nostalgia and there are people out there who know that they can charge an arm and a leg to other people who want to take that brief trip back in time.
Emulators do make it easier but, for the people who sooner or later get burnt out on that and want the experience of actually holding the game in their hand, some of them will pay more than they really want to recapture that experience.
Toys'R Us used this same strategy a few years ago with the reproduction G1 Transformers that you could only buy at their store and had to pay $30.00 just for the standard 1:43 scale autobots like Jazz, Hound, Smokescreen and etc.

As long as people keep giving these vultures what they want, the prices will keep going up.

MotherGunner

Agreed and it doesn't change the fact that you can't take ANY of this shit with you when you die...
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

KingofGames

I'm going out pharaoh-style. Bury me with my shit!

allyourblood

Quote from: KingofGames on 02/21/2012, 06:40 PMI'm going out pharaoh-style. Bury me with my shit!
Watch out for Turbo-grave robbers!
If anyone gets any leads on a "fair priced" copy of Coryoon, please lemme know!

Where is fancy bred?

KingofGames

SMF

Maybe have a big turbo bonfire and enjoy tossing in each game 1 by 1 lol.
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

MotherGunner

Quote from: SMF on 02/21/2012, 09:47 PMMaybe have a big turbo bonfire and enjoy tossing in each game 1 by 1 lol.
Or a Turbonacht...
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

Samurai Ghost

Quote from: KingofGames on 02/22/2012, 01:59 AMWow, this one should be fun:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEC-TurboExpress-Black-Handheld-System-Plus-48-Games-Soldier-Blade-Bonk-3-NAI-/140707460622?pt=Video_Games&hash=item20c2d1760e&autorefresh=true
$300 so far? Not so bad. I wouldn't really consider an auction with a nice piece of hardware and a set of awesome games fetching a high price to be "gouging." The truth is that this stuff is valuable and desired. Now if the guy had this same exact set and wanted $1,500 for the lot BIN then it would be worthy of this thread...

bartre

yeah, that's at least worth a decent chunk of change, i'm curious to see what it'll end up at, though it will probably be something ridiculous.

Senshi

jperryss

Quote from: Senshi on 02/22/2012, 08:52 AMI say it goes to $1100+
I say at least $800, since it's already had the cap fix done and there are quite a few games in there that are pricey on their own (Bonk 3) or at least not cheap (Air Zonk, Neutopia 2, NAI, Soldier Blade). Even though most are loose or with manual only.

Shrapnoid

Up to 400 with 4 days and 11 hours remaining.

allyourblood

I bought Sinistron from that seller about a year ago (or so) and he had it listed as "Very Good" with a small and blurry picture. It arrived to me in poor condition, and I say that as someone who doesn't care too much about most niggling details. He was kinda rude in our exchanges through the message system, and I won't buy another game from him. He seems to sell good stuff from time to time, but I'll give my money to more upstanding sellers next time.

Where is fancy bred?

Mathius

He appears to deal only in Turbo goods. His feedback is less than stellar with one member complaining about similar issues as allyourblood.

Senshi

Quote from: allyourblood on 02/22/2012, 11:44 AMI bought Sinistron from that seller about a year ago (or so) and he had it listed as "Very Good" with a small and blurry picture. It arrived to me in poor condition, and I say that as someone who doesn't care too much about most niggling details. He was kinda rude in our exchanges through the message system, and I won't buy another game from him. He seems to sell good stuff from time to time, but I'll give my money to more upstanding sellers next time.
Which means it won't be much of a stretch for some shill bidding to be going on.

Shrapnoid

Quote from: allyourblood on 02/22/2012, 11:44 AMI bought Sinistron from that seller about a year ago (or so) and he had it listed as "Very Good" with a small and blurry picture. It arrived to me in poor condition, and I say that as someone who doesn't care too much about most niggling details. He was kinda rude in our exchanges through the message system, and I won't buy another game from him. He seems to sell good stuff from time to time, but I'll give my money to more upstanding sellers next time.
This guy isn't from Austin Texas, is he? I had a jerk from Texas treat me the same way and lie about the condition of some games that he sold me.
He even had the nerve to tell me that if I left negative feedback that it wouldn't really matter.

SMF

Quote from: Shrapnoid on 02/22/2012, 05:18 PM
This guy isn't from Austin Texas, is he? I had a jerk from Texas treat me the same way and lie about the condition of some games that he sold me.
He even had the nerve to tell me that if I left negative feedback that it wouldn't really matter.
Hate to say it but he's right about that. If he's selling a game someone really wants they will take the chance. BUT if he gets enough negitive feedback eBay will restrict his account.

Keith Courage

I have never bought anything from the seller but I have repaired some systems for him in the past. He has been very easy to communicate and deal with. I bet that turbo express is one I repaired for him months ago  :wink:

Shrapnoid

Just found another one but, it's craigslist. Area just says "Pilot". Maybe means Pilot Mountain but, I'm not sure.

http://greensboro.craigslist.org/vgm/2865206801.html

roflmao

It makes me sad to see such an awesome collection go. :(  That's only a couple of hours away from me.

VenomMacbeth

Damn, and I'm headed to Greensboro on monday too...too bad I don't have $750. :/
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

majors

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 02/25/2012, 04:04 AMDamn, and I'm headed to Greensboro on monday too...too bad I don't have $750. :/
750? Are we talking about the TG CD-ROM in Pilot Mountain? Did I miss something? Seller wants $300...or did the they part out all the games?

Lost Ark in Greensboro finally got a Bride of Pinbot. I have a reason to play pinball there now.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Mathius

Quote from: guest on 02/28/2012, 04:18 PM
Quote from: stinkoman on 02/28/2012, 03:47 PMAnybody own or see this.Macross eternal love beta  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Macross-Eternal-Love-Song-SAMPLE-BETA-DEMO-NEC-PC-Engine-TurboGrafx-Duo-CD-TG-/251006801187?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a712bd523
Had a good larf on that one in chat.  "100% authentic because I say so!"
Looks like a dishonest seller. Any buyer who leaves negative feedback because their "mint" game had scratches all over it gets called a "terrible buyer".

...He sure gets a lot of "terrible buyers".

sirhcman

Quote from: Senshi on 02/22/2012, 02:07 PMWhich means it won't be much of a stretch for some shill bidding to be going on.

Flare65

Quote from: stinkoman on 02/28/2012, 03:47 PMAnybody own or see this.Macross eternal love beta  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Macross-Eternal-Love-Song-SAMPLE-BETA-DEMO-NEC-PC-Engine-TurboGrafx-Duo-CD-TG-/251006801187?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a712bd523
Looks like a CDR copy to me.  Nothing special looking either.  If he had some special or unique documentation to support the authenticity of the disc, it would add some credit to his claim.  I just don't see anything special here....

kakutolives

Good Sellers (in my experience)
Samurai Ghost, Keith Courage, Bernie, tggodfrey, bartre (hoping to add more to this list soon)

People who are just plain Awesome:
BlueBMW (to this day i thank you for hooking me up with Sapphire and getting me started with collecting PCE games)

NecroPhile

Quote from: kakutolives on 02/29/2012, 02:21 AMI know im relatively new here, but isnt this too much for what might seem a dubious copy?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ginga-Fukei-Densetsu-Sapphire-Import-PC-Engine-TurboGrafx-16-1995-NEW-SEALED-/300671833741?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item460170168d
It looks legit to me, as the colors are accurate and the peel strip is in the right spot, but I still wouldn't pay any where near $900 for it.

Frank_fjs

I agree with Necromancer, there are no signs of it being a fake. There's another real one listed in Japan for $500 but it's not sealed.

SMF

Yea its prolly the real deal but I love how he states MUST NEVER BE OPEN. LOL

CrackTiger

Quote from: Frank_fjs on 02/29/2012, 10:18 AMI agree with Necromancer, there are no signs of it being a fake. There's another real one listed in Japan for $500 but it's not sealed.
Sapphire still goes for between $200 - $300 on eBay. I'd rather not pay double for a game already going for hundreds just to have it extra mint and extra complete. But anyone interested in doing so is looking for more than a game to play. At least Sapphire is genuinely rare, but not $500 rare.

I wonder what the seller of the sealed copy would say if you asked them if you could still buy it even though you are definitely going to open it? Probably that they don't really care about preserving a collectible, only that they get paid.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

SMF

This is why I won't ever understand buying games just to keep them sealed looking pretty on the shelf. Chances are someones gonna open your sealed game.

kakutolives

hmm even if it is authentic, isnt 900 dollars a wee bit much :P. Still Gouging amirite?
Samurai Ghost, Keith Courage, Bernie, tggodfrey, bartre (hoping to add more to this list soon)

BlueBMW (to this day i thank you for hooking me up with Sapphire and getting me started with collecting PCE games)

NecroPhile

Quote from: kakutolives on 02/29/2012, 10:39 PMhmm even if it is authentic, isnt 900 dollars a wee bit much :P. Still Gouging amirite?
It certainly is. 

And on second thought, it might well be a fake.  The ones Tobias shows on his site now look to have more accurate coloring, but the disc is still different; perhaps that's why this guy is adamant that it shouldn't be opened.

bartre

Quote from: guest on 03/01/2012, 10:04 AM
Quote from: kakutolives on 02/29/2012, 10:39 PMhmm even if it is authentic, isnt 900 dollars a wee bit much :P. Still Gouging amirite?
It certainly is. 

And on second thought, it might well be a fake.  The ones Tobias shows on his site now look to have more accurate coloring, but the disc is still different; perhaps that's why this guy is adamant that it shouldn't be opened.
I've actually never looked at tobias' site, what's the address?

NecroPhile

allyourblood

Quote from: guest on 03/01/2012, 10:04 AMIt certainly is. 

I wondered this as well. He might be insisiting it never be opened because he's some sealed game fetishist or it may be because the disc itself may bear some telltale sign of inauthenticity. I don't go too crazy over rare releases myself, but if I did, I'd definitely be wary of any sealed official sapphire copies. Why risk 900 bucks (or even 100 for that matter) on a possible bootleg copy? No thanks.

Where is fancy bred?

CrackTiger

It should now be assumed that any sealed copies of Sapphire which are not infront of you are fake.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Senshi

Quote from: allyourblood on 03/01/2012, 11:10 AM
Quote from: guest on 03/01/2012, 10:04 AMIt certainly is. 

I wondered this as well. He might be insisiting it never be opened because he's some sealed game fetishist or it may be because the disc itself may bear some telltale sign of inauthenticity. I don't go too crazy over rare releases myself, but if I did, I'd definitely be wary of any sealed official sapphire copies. Why risk 900 bucks (or even 100 for that matter) on a possible bootleg copy? No thanks.
Either that or its not even Sapphire in there  :-k

Frank_fjs

Having recently received the latest fake copy of Sapphire, the $900 one on eBay still looks real to me. The fake has improved some of the colours, mainly the yellow/pink gradient in the text at the bottom and the purple of the main character, but the blues are still off and on the rear the white border is still present around the game screenshots.

If that $900 copy is indeed a fake, it's a 100% perfect reproduction of the original, at least from what we can see in the pics provided anyhow. As odd as it sounds, I think it's more likely to be real than a perfectly reproduced fake.

I might take some scans/photos of the most recent fake version, as things have changed a little and the info and comparison shots between the fake and real copies is now outdated.

kakutolives

A friend sent me this pic:

EDIT: not the best camera, Ill try to ask for more clearer shot.

Frank_fjs

Here are some comparison shots between the old fake, new fake and real Sapphire game.

- Top pic is old fake
- Middle pic is new fake
- Bottom pic is real

IMGIMG

Unfortunately my scanner is offline atm, so the 'new fake' shots were taken via a crappy digital camera. Should be good enough to spot the most differences though.

CrackTiger

I have a new Sapphire bootleg guide in the works that will compare in detail both fakes and the real deal.

guyjin

Quote from: Frank_fjs on 03/02/2012, 01:38 AMHere are some comparison shots between the old fake, new fake and real Sapphire game.
If I'm looking at it right, the new fake logo is now the right color (instead of too orange on top) but her face is now too orange?

and also, "HCD5030" on the lower right rear.