PC Engine Homebrew News: The duo that brought you FX-Unit Yuki returns! A demo for "Nyanja!" is available, an action platformer akin to games like Bubble Bobble & Snow Bros in gameplay style.
Main Menu

Beyond Shadowgate **SOLD**

Started by TheClash603, 04/08/2012, 11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheClash603

I am in a push to rid myself of duplicates, so I figure that I should get rid of my extra Beyond Shadowgate.  Last copy of this game on ebay was a $300 BIN, and that was snatched up right away.  Although there were no pictures of that game (who the hell spends $300 without a picture?), since my copy is in less than perfect condition, I figure $180 or best offer   GAME IS SOLD  is a fair sale price.  Note, the game comes without the poster and also the manual is pretty beat up.  I will keep this up here exclusively until the end of tomorrow (Monday 4/9/12) so people on this forum get first dibs.

Here are a few pictures of the game:

/img5354pf.jpg

Thanks for looking!  Price updated because I was told it is too high...  hopefully it is better now.

Game is on hold because I had a few offers.  I will just go down the line at this point and hopefully someone is playing Beyond Shadowgate soon!  Thanks for the interest.

munchiaz

wish i had the monies. i just bought a car so no games for me for some time

Sparky

Christ Clash, i like ya but so what the last one went for $300 on ebay... if your looking over there for prices then sell over there  <<shakes head>>

rag-time4

Quote from: guest on 04/09/2012, 12:35 AMChrist Clash, i like ya but so what the last one went for $300 on ebay... if your looking over there for prices then sell over there  <<shakes head>>
If Clash is starting at $100 off ebay and taking offers, it seems reasonable to me.

DragonmasterDan

--DragonmasterDan

Bernie

I feel around $150.00 for this game, in this condition is a fair price.  :)  That manual has certainly seen better days, lol.  Hope it finds a good home.  :)

tggodfrey

FWIW, I got mine off ebay for 100.00 with no manual or poster.

That was just before Chany's gaming convention.

I think you would be better off making sure this goes to a PCE member.
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

Mathius

Quote from: tggodfrey on 04/09/2012, 04:54 PMI think you would be better off making sure this goes to a PCE member.
Seconded. :)

incrediblehark

someday i will own this game, but probably not today :(

Sparky

Quote from: tggodfrey on 04/09/2012, 04:54 PMFWIW, I got mine off ebay for 100.00 with no manual or poster.

That was just before Chany's gaming convention.

I think you would be better off making sure this goes to a PCE member.
yeah, and i think clashy is a stand up guy (but we dont agree on pricing at all!!!) but my god was this game not going for $80 to maybe $100 like a year ago, not even.
I guess i am just out of touch on pricing then, as ebay is the true market value :P

geise

I sold my copy (non mint) to a board member for $65.  However that was over 3 years ago.

NightWolve

If you can get $180 for that piece of shit game or somewhere near that amount, how much could I get for my original Dracula X ? Here's my list of my originals (scroll to the bottom for NEC games): https://www.ysutopia.net/special/mygames.html

(I'm such a fool - I got an original Suikoden 2 for PS1 and I never even played the damn thing, but I friggin' took the shrink wrap off probably to do a quick browse of the manual!!! It's perfectly new, but who knew it'd become this hot, hundred dollar item down the road... pffft.)

Anyway, I'd be interested in prices just out of curiosity (for the moment) and maybe possibly selling if the going-rates these days for such games are so outrageous that I couldn't possibly refuse.

EDIT: Pfffft. I looked around ebay and saw used Dracula X copies going for $98-$100 (saw one at $89, lowest) and you want ~$180 (or slightly less) for a shit game because, I dunno, there are less prints of it (as in, it's "rare") or something ?? THIS game allegedly was seen going for $300 at some point ?? I gotta be missing something here... I mean, I wouldn't give you more than $5 bucks for it... More power to you if you actually managed to accomplish getting over $100 for it...

Keith Courage

These do go on ebay for around $250-$300 usually so around $150 sounds perfectly fair to me considering how hard it is to find.

Samurai Ghost

Yeah rare games are expensive because they are rare... It doesn't matter if you think the game is a "piece of shit", if it had a low print run there are less copies circulating out there which will drive the prices way up.

I mean the original Super Mario Bros is an amazing, revolutionary game that is still a blast to play to this day, but you can easily find it for around $1 any day of the week. Whereas a game like Stadium Events which is just World Track Meet (another $1 game) in a different box easily fetches thousands of dollars because of it's rarity. To collectors gameplay is often secondary to the actual item in question...

NightWolve

Quote from: Samurai Ghost on 04/11/2012, 02:36 AMYeah rare games are expensive because they are rare... It doesn't matter if you think the game is a "piece of shit", if it had a low print run there are less copies circulating out there which will drive the prices way up.
On one hand, if I'm the seller, I'm gonna look at you as a sucker and nod my head to all that. If you're willing to give me up to $150-$250 for that shit game, then God love ya, you're gonna be my favorite customer! As a buyer, naturally I'm gonna wanna drive it down... Free market, sell high, buy low and all that... But, as someone that is somewhat removed from this, I'd hate to see another man get ripped off buying garbage and this game falls under that category in my view - as long as they know what they're getting. Also, I'm pretty sure I used to see this game on TZD's listing for a long time, going for $19.99-$29.99 - I never heard about any limited print run for it. Anyway, I'd stick with the original ShadowGate for NES - I enjoyed it.

Samurai Ghost

Well I'm sure Magical Chase was sold at shops for around $20 at some point as well. But it all boils down to value. Look at something like baseball cards. To me they are all completely useless pieces of trash. But if I happened to have a 1959 Mickey Mantle or whatever is an expensive card, doesn't that card hold some kind of value despite it being no different than the thousands of other cards released the same year? Some things are rare or sought after for a variety of reasons. It just so happens we can play games we collect, so we also get people who just want to play, or some who mainly collect. On one extreme you have people who only emulate games or burn CDRs and never bother to even buy copies, others who look for deals on cheap loose games or common titles, those who buy all the games they love in good condition with boxes/manuals, and those who want to have every single title for a particular system in no matter how "bad" it is or whether or not they will even every play it. I personally fall somewhere in the middle, but I understand both sides of the spectrum. Whether you like it or not there is a collectable aspect to "retro" games such as the PC engine and prices will continue to rise...

Bernie

Oh Nightwolve..  :( How can you not like Beyond Shadowgate??  I freaking loved/love this game...  The only thing I do not like about it was the fact that it was not longer...

NecroPhile

I can see Beyond Shadowgate not being someone's cup a tea, but a 'piece of shit'?!?  Madness I tells ya!
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

NightWolve

OK, but $150 for it ?? Will somebody buy my Dracula X please for $200 then ??? ;)

So did anybody check my list ?

https://www.ysutopia.net/special/mygames.html

You guys are the experts, I've been out of the loop for a long time. What's on that list that you guys would be willing to pay outrageous amounts for ?? Hehe! Help a brother out!

Bernie

Quote from: NightWolve on 04/11/2012, 11:16 AMOK, but $150 for it ?? Will somebody buy my Dracula X please for $200 then ??? ;)

You guys are the experts, I've been out of the loop for a long time. What's on that list that you guys would be willing to pay outrageous amounts for ?? Hehe! Help a brother out!
If thats a list you plan to sell...  Yeah I see some goods I will take off your hands.  :)  Seriously tho, there are a couple good ones on there that go for higher amounts.  Exile 2 being one of them.   :mrgreen:

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: NightWolve on 04/11/2012, 11:16 AMOK, but $150 for it ?? Will somebody buy my Dracula X please for $200 then ??? ;)

Dude, I got Dracula X (with a spine card too mind you) with a lot of 7 games for $90, I dunno what people are smoking when they think they can sell it for anything more than $50. There is a reason why we have a thread about Ebay gouging, but as for Beyond Shadowgate, I can't find it ANYWHERE ebay included so yeah that alone justifies the cost I suppose.

Bernie

You got lucky with that lot man.  Thats all that was.  :)

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 04/11/2012, 12:15 PM
QuoteDude, I got Dracula X (with a spine card too mind you) with a lot of 7 games for $90, I dunno what people are smoking when they think they can sell it for anything more than $50. There is a reason why we have a thread about Ebay gouging, but as for Beyond Shadowgate, I can't find it ANYWHERE ebay included so yeah that alone justifies the cost I suppose.

hoobs88

I think the price of Dracula X dropped significantly after it was released for the PSP since it was no longer a PCE exclusive.
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

VestCunt

Quote from: NightWolve on 04/11/2012, 11:16 AMYou guys are the experts, I've been out of the loop for a long time. What's on that list that you guys would be willing to pay outrageous amounts for ?? Hehe! Help a brother out!
If you've been absent for a while, TG16 ebay prices have been going crazier than usual for the last few years.  Caseless Turbochips, sealed games, anything from 1993, anything with rare inserts (maps, posters, WD sleeves, etc.), and popular titles like Ys and Soldier Blade are the worst offenders.

A guy showed up here last Spring trying to sell a complete Beyond Shadowgate for $255.  No sooner had we ripped him a new one than he listed it on ebay for $275 and shocked us when it sold within twelve hours.  It seems most of us paid $60-100 for BS only 2-5 years ago.

IMO, Clash603 caught a little more flak than he deserved in this thread.  $180 isn't a bargain-basement price, but it's not like he's flipping a deal from another member (if he is, god help him!).  He was receptive to feedback and probably walked away from some amount of money by listing it on here.  He also deserves points for not wading into the drama and turning this into a flame war.

Quote from: hoobs88 on 04/11/2012, 12:23 PMI think the price of Dracula X dropped significantly after it was released for the PSP since it was no longer a PCE exclusive.
Yeah, Drac X is one of the only prices to go DOWN recently.  Sellers still try to get $100-120 for it, but it sells for $60 much more often than it used to.  I'd guess that plenty of copies were produced and that high demand, not rarity, has dictated its price over the years.
Topic Adjourned.

NightWolve

Quote from: guest on 04/11/2012, 01:32 PMA guy showed up here last Spring trying to sell a complete Beyond Shadowgate for $255.  No sooner had we ripped him a new one than he listed it on ebay for $275 and shocked us when it sold within twelve hours.  It seems most of us paid $60-100 for BS only 2-5 years ago.
DAMN! That son-of-bitch! 12 hours, huh? Fuck! Well, as I was alluding to somewhat, it'd be a tad bit contradictory and hypocritical to really bitch about that case or this one cause if I was in that position as a seller, I can't say I wouldn't want that outcome too! It is an interesting test for one's ethics, would you take the $275 fully aware you were gouging after actually managing to find a sucker both having and willing to spend that kind of money?? I've never been in that position and I wonder if my guilt for blatantly trying to take advantage of someone would work me down especially if I had a poor opinion of the item I was selling... Note, I've never actually sold ANYTHING on ebay before (and after a while, it does kinda make you feel left out in way, hehe - I wanna make my first sale, dammit!!)... Only bought stuff.

Quote from: weaselthe fact is that this forum has a very highly toxic environment for new users.
So I skimmed through that thread a bit and found that. I'm glad that you did rip him a new one! His claim about this forum isn't true, and when you show up for the first time, just for your interests, to try to make an outrageous buck off a forum that has a loyal NEC following and is full of game collectors (not warez, pirate-happy kids), you ought to face SOME kind of scrutiny... You don't wanna see someone you consider a friend at one of your favorite forums get ripped off, etc.

Quoteat least he had the decency to give free shipping tho
I had to laugh at that one! At $275 you damn well better!

QuoteIMO, Clash603 caught a little more flak than he deserved in this thread.  $180 isn't a bargain-basement price, but it's not like he's flipping a deal from another member (if he is, god help him!).  He was receptive to feedback and probably walked away from some amount of money by listing it on here.  He also deserves points for not wading into the drama and turning this into a flame war.
Oh, I hope I didn't come off as angry or nasty. I tried to be playful about it. I had no intentions to start a flame war over this, I would've bowed out if he got mad at me. Technically, the board's veterans, you, would've "handled him" if you felt his listing qualified as "outrageous" in your judgement. I've been gone for years and just started using my account again but I still kinda felt the need to comment, like "Hey, is this right?" But anyway, yeah, I'll take your word for it. Things have changed...

QuoteYeah, Drac X is one of the only prices to go DOWN recently.
Guess I'm keeping mine then. I paid $85 (with shipping) for it from some retailer I got off of EGM or GameFan. That was the most I ever paid for a game in the 90's! It is a collector's item, though, and I don't think I could part with it, but then again, if it was going for the outrageous amounts that Sapphire is going for, I'm not so sure... ;)

incrediblehark

isn't there a bootleg of drac x floating around? A "second print" kind of like sapphire, I thought I read that a while ago, i could be mistaken though

Samurai Ghost

Don't see why there would be... It's not exactly a rare game, as others have mentioned, just high in demand since it's such an essential addition to any PC Engine/TG-16 library. Kind of the same with Radiant Silvergun. Great game, but not rare at all. Personally I think Drac X is worth every penny of the $80-$120 it fetches, but if you hold out long enough you could probably get a copy for a lower price.

VestCunt

Quote from: incrediblehark on 04/12/2012, 11:02 AMisn't there a bootleg of drac x floating around? A "second print" kind of like sapphire, I thought I read that a while ago, i could be mistaken though
This? /dracxhc.jpg
Topic Adjourned.

CrackTiger

Quote from: VestCunt on 04/12/2012, 03:18 PM
Quote from: incrediblehark on 04/12/2012, 11:02 AMisn't there a bootleg of drac x floating around? A "second print" kind of like sapphire, I thought I read that a while ago, i could be mistaken though
This? /dracxhc.jpg
I own the only known copy in existence. Anyone else who claims to own one is LYING.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

TheClash603

Game is sold!  Thanks to everyone that showed interest.  I wish I had more copies so you all could've gotten one!

mrhaboobi

Quote from: guest on 04/12/2012, 08:28 PM
Quote from: guest on 04/12/2012, 03:18 PM
This? /dracxhc.jpg
I own the only known copy in existence. Anyone else who claims to own one is LYING.
what exactly is this? an april fools?
Looking for (MINT ONLY)
US Manual : Magical Chase, Shockman 
US Box : Turrican,  Soldier Blade, New Adventure Island, Neutopia II
Other : Sapphire OBI, Turbo Play Aug/Sept 90, April/May 92, Turbo Edge Spring 90

PC Engine Special Cards : Bomberman User Battle

Alydnes Super Grafx

JoshTurboTrollX

I sold mine for $80 3 years ago. It's one of those over inflated HAXOR UBER RARE 1993 GAEMZ.

But, even tho, it's one of the best games on the Turbo, and the only problem I had with it was that it was too short.  :(

I'd like to find it again someday, but I would really have to be roll'n in the benjamins to drop anything more than $60 on it.

back to looking on eBay for sellers that mispell shadowgaet or maybe Shadowgate Turbographx... :P
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

VestCunt

Topic Adjourned.