PC Engine Homebrew News: The duo that brought you FX-Unit Yuki returns! A demo for "Nyanja!" is available, an action platformer akin to games like Bubble Bobble & Snow Bros in gameplay style.
Main Menu

Top 10 rarest Tg-16/Duo games released in America

Started by Flare65, 04/15/2012, 03:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flare65

Title says it all.  I'm just curious if we can have a list going.  I'll get started with what I think would be on the list.  I'm looking to stir up some conversation and would like any and all members here to join in.

In no particular order:

1. Beyond Shadowgate
2. Might & Magic 3
3. Bonk 3 CD
4. Dungeon Explorer II
5. Bonk 3
7. Sommer Assult
8. Legend of Hero Tonma (not sure I spelled that right.....exactly how rare is this game anyway?)
9. Magical Chase
10. ???????

What do you  think?

chany60126

Somer Assault is hard to find, but definitely not rare. I would replace that with Syd Mead's Terraforming and add in Dynastic Hero.

jperryss

I think Order of the Griffon should be on this list also?

CrackTiger

Godzilla
Dynastic Hero
Bonk 3 CD
Super Air Zonk
Beyond Shadowgate
Might & Magic III
Camp California
Terraforming
Magical Chase
Legend of Hero Tonma

DEII and Bonk 3 HuCard aren't rare or hard to find, they're just sought after more than most games with inflated prices.

Rarity, supply/demand and collector/gouger prices are not consistent or related. Some good rare games are cheap and some not-so-great uncommon games are pricey.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

DesmondThe3rd

Yes yes, I remember Starsoldier the First as done an video article on 10 rare and expensive TG titles:

Lilgrafx

I know it isn't really a good way to gauge these thing but its seems like Might and Magic shows up on ebay quite a bit.

jperryss

Did the three girly games have low print runs, or were they just stupidly expensive?

CrackTiger

Quote from: Lilgrafx on 04/16/2012, 06:09 PMI know it isn't really a good way to gauge these thing but its seems like Might and Magic shows up on ebay quite a bit.
So does Magical Chase.

Quote from: jperryss on 04/16/2012, 06:43 PMDid the three girly games have low print runs, or were they just stupidly expensive?
They are the rarest Turbo games of all and as such, do not sell for nearly as much as many more common units of Turbo software.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

tg16manaic

IMO the top ten rarest games are:

Syd Mead's Terraforming
Super Air Zonk
Godzilla
Magical Chase
Dynastic Hero
Might & Magic 3: Isles Of Terra
Cotton
Beyond Shadowgate
Bonk 3: Bonk's Big Adventure CD
Legend of Hero Tonma

... also rare are the two Hawaiian Island Girl releases if those even count.

Somer assault isn't rare at all, it's not common, but it's not rare by any stretch of the imagination.

mrhaboobi

Quote from: tg16manaic on 04/16/2012, 07:28 PMIMO the top ten rarest games are:

Syd Mead's Terraforming
Super Air Zonk
Godzilla
Magical Chase
Dynastic Hero
Beyond Shadowgate

There are 3 island girl games not 2.

I think we need to seperate RARE ( as in hard to find but not always expensive ) with just Expensive..

Cotton turns up all the time,
Bonk cd aswell, but super air zonk not so much
terraforming seems a hard one to find.
MC isnt hard to find, just expensive.

The island girls games are hard to find..  i also have a sealed Keith Courage ( along with god knows how many loose ).. but i havent seen that turn up much, was it sealed when sold as a pack in?
Looking for (MINT ONLY)
US Manual : Magical Chase, Shockman 
US Box : Turrican,  Soldier Blade, New Adventure Island, Neutopia II
Other : Sapphire OBI, Turbo Play Aug/Sept 90, April/May 92, Turbo Edge Spring 90

PC Engine Special Cards : Bomberman User Battle

Alydnes Super Grafx

bob

chany60126

Quote from: mrhaboobi on 04/18/2012, 05:58 PM

Syd Mead's Terraforming
Super Air Zonk
Godzilla
Magical Chase
Dynastic Hero
Beyond Shadowgate

I think we need to seperate RARE ( as in hard to find but not always expensive ) with just Expensive..

The island girls games are hard to find..  i also have a sealed Keith Courage ( along with god knows how many loose ).. but i havent seen that turn up much, was it sealed when sold as a pack in?
Bonk 3 CD does not come up for sale often. I check ebay almost daily for the hard to find titles. In the past year, I saw about 4 or 5 listings tops for that game. Bonk 3 huey pops up much more often.

VestCunt

Quote from: mrhaboobi on 04/18/2012, 05:58 PMMC isnt hard to find, just expensive.
MC is pretty darn rare (arguments here, pages 8+).
It seems slightly more common because:
1) it's the highest profile U.S. game and we hear about it every time a copy is sold, unlike, say, World Sports Competition.
2) it's an instant liquid cash cow every time an owner needs $500-$2,000.  People unstable enough to spend those amounts on a game also tend to be unstable financially, so there's a high turnover rate.
Topic Adjourned.

mrhaboobi

I still personally dont think that MC is "RARE" ... its expensive.  not RARE :)  If you had the cash you could get the game fairly quickly, Rare is in my opinion something that even with alot of cash you cant get easily.  Even Alex in that thread says its not that he cant find the game, its that he cant get people to ship it to him...  

RARE = Duo Demo 01

or items with very low print runs..

My Magical Chase came out of Japan of all places, so it seems TG games have somehow made their way around the world..

I agree though that the same game seems to change hands alot, obviously not long term collectors or fans of the system, but "gotta have it now" type buyers who get tired of it 10 minutes later..  Im sure there are alot more deserving people that should have this game then some of those that do..
Looking for (MINT ONLY)
US Manual : Magical Chase, Shockman 
US Box : Turrican,  Soldier Blade, New Adventure Island, Neutopia II
Other : Sapphire OBI, Turbo Play Aug/Sept 90, April/May 92, Turbo Edge Spring 90

PC Engine Special Cards : Bomberman User Battle

Alydnes Super Grafx

NecroPhile

Quote from: mrhaboobi on 04/18/2012, 11:24 PMRARE = Duo Demo 01
That one is indeed rare, but it's not a "game released in America".
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

CrackTiger

Quote from: NecroPhile on 04/19/2012, 09:18 AM
Quote from: mrhaboobi on 04/18/2012, 11:24 PMRARE = Duo Demo 01
That one is indeed rare, but it's not a "game released in America".
Insanity is rarer than all of the games listed and the pre-release promo is much rarer than that common Duo Demo.

DragonmasterDan

A lot of the games had the same print run, rarity is relative as a game might be rare, but show up for sale a lot due to demand, people flipping copies for a profit and such.
--DragonmasterDan

spenoza

While I think there is some value in discussions of which games are most expensive/valuable, I'm not sure knowing which titles are rare necessarily helps much. Demand defines price and value, and rarity is only a small part of that equation where retro games are concerned.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 04/19/2012, 09:04 PMWhile I think there is some value in discussions of which games are most expensive/valuable, I'm not sure knowing which titles are rare necessarily helps much. Demand defines price and value, and rarity is only a small part of that equation where retro games are concerned.
I hear you, but isn't "rarity" interesting simply as "trivia"? :pcgs:

I know some folks are concerned about prices/values, but I am interested in "rarity" for very different reasons.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

rjardina

Quote from: chany60126 on 04/18/2012, 06:19 PM
Quote from: mrhaboobi on 04/18/2012, 05:58 PM

Syd Mead's Terraforming
Super Air Zonk
Godzilla
Magical Chase
Dynastic Hero
Beyond Shadowgate

The island girls games are hard to find..  i also have a sealed Keith Courage ( along with god knows how many loose ).. but i havent seen that turn up much, was it sealed when sold as a pack in?
Bonk 3 CD does not come up for sale often. I check ebay almost daily for the hard to find titles. In the past year, I saw about 4 or 5 listings tops for that game. Bonk 3 huey pops up much more often.
The CD version is rarer then the HuCard and it is about 1 to 7. But with that being said I have seen the CD version at least a dozen times in the last year on ebay. Unless you are using a different ebay then me. Also the CD is normally Buy it now verses an auction like more of the Hucard version is.

My version of Bonk 3 CD i got off ebay. It was a buy it now for $225 or make offer. It was on ebay < 30 minutes. I made him an offer of $200 and ten minutes later I turned around and gave him his asking price. I didn't want to wait on his reply because the last three i seen that were auctions went for over $400

Yes, I still paid way to much for it  :oops:

VestCunt

Quote from: esteban on 04/21/2012, 04:41 AM
Quote from: guest on 04/19/2012, 09:04 PMWhile I think there is some value in discussions of which games are most expensive/valuable, I'm not sure knowing which titles are rare necessarily helps much. Demand defines price and value, and rarity is only a small part of that equation where retro games are concerned.
I hear you, but isn't "rarity" interesting simply as "trivia"? :pcgs:

I know some folks are concerned about prices/values, but I am interested in "rarity" for very different reasons.
Ditto.  Unfortunately, it's impossible to separate the two discussions. Whenever we talk about rarity, somebody says "NUH-UH! If it's so rare then why do I see it on ebay all the time!?!?"
Topic Adjourned.

PikachuWarrior

Rarity has two definitions. Sought after (high demand), and Hard to find/expensive (low supply).
IMG

BigusSchmuck

nectarsis

Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 04/26/2012, 05:03 PMRarity has two definitions. Sought after (high demand), and Hard to find/expensive (low supply).
Rarity= something is rare...has nothing to do with demand/sought after.
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

PikachuWarrior

rare=rarity? then what does rarity mean "to you" ?
IMG

nectarsis

Demand has absolutely no bearing on how many copies of x that are made/still out there.

VestCunt

Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 04/26/2012, 05:03 PMRarity has two definitions. Sought after (high demand), and Hard to find/expensive (low supply).
Quote from: VestCunt on 04/22/2012, 12:44 AMUnfortunately, it's impossible to separate the two discussions. Whenever we talk about rarity, somebody says "NUH-UH! If it's so rare then why do I see it on ebay all the time!?!?"
Topic Adjourned.

CrackTiger

Hard to find in the wild at all and very expensive everywhere else: Final Fantasy VII = rare (low supply) and sought after (high demand) game.

jperryss

Quote from: guest on 04/26/2012, 09:21 PMHard to find in the wild at all and very expensive everywhere else: Final Fantasy VII = rare (low supply) and sought after (high demand) game.
FF7, really? Didn't it sell like 10 million copies?

bob

Quote from: jperryss on 04/26/2012, 09:27 PM
Quote from: guest on 04/26/2012, 09:21 PMHard to find in the wild at all and very expensive everywhere else: Final Fantasy VII = rare (low supply) and sought after (high demand) game.
FF7, really? Didn't it sell like 10 million copies?
Yeah, I see it regularly for around 15 bucks

bob

Rarity is actually objective. The numbers tell the story. Do we know how many copies of these games were sold (or even printed)?

Like, is beyond shadowgate truly rarer than say magical chase?

nectarsis

The numbers do tell the story, but lack of solid #'s doesn't really make discussion objective, at that point it's more of an unknown.

bob

I guess it needs to be coupled with the frequency that they become available too.

nectarsis

Quote from: galam on 04/26/2012, 10:35 PMI guess it needs to be coupled with the frequency that they become available too.
There was some cat on here awhile ago claiming to have all sorts of "inside info", and was going to produce solid production #'s....don't think that ever happened though.

esteban

Quote from: nectarsis on 04/26/2012, 10:40 PM
Quote from: galam on 04/26/2012, 10:35 PMI guess it needs to be coupled with the frequency that they become available too.
There was some cat on here awhile ago claiming to have all sorts of "inside info", and was going to produce solid production #'s....don't think that ever happened though.
Oh yeah! I forgot about that. Hmmmmm...
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG