@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Turbo Gouging on Ebay ( r.i.p. - gouging much )

Started by NecroPhile, 08/03/2010, 04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JapanTokei

So were now totally of fuckin topic but while on this magic topic..  The prices ate goig insane as well on them.  Unlimited black lotus now go eegularly for 1k on ebay.  It was tops 200 back in 97/98.  Dual lands or even force of wills go for easy 50 bucks a pop.  Damn.
It is gauging too but not related to turbo..

Quote from: guest on 04/30/2012, 07:22 PMFurther derailing, dork bragging...

I played Magic starting with Beta in '93 until about '98. I got Time Walk in one of my first six booster packs. I had a beta Jet, an unlimited Ruby, a set of 40 dual lands, every blue card from Beta to Alliances, a Dark set, and most of Arabian Nights. Highlights were my first-turn Juzam Djinn in a tournament and my blue Time Walk/Stasis/Regrowth "lock" deck.

Punk rock eventually saved my life and dumped those fucking cards.

Back on topic:
http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidsLogin&_trksid=p4340.l2564&rt=nc&item=140666166978

Not really gouging, but the typo + "14 sold" is funny.

gekioh

Quote from: JapanTokei on 04/30/2012, 09:48 PMSo were now totally of fuckin topic but while on this magic topic..  The prices ate goig insane as well on them.  Unlimited black lotus now go eegularly for 1k on ebay.  It was tops 200 back in 97/98.  Dual lands or even force of wills go for easy 50 bucks a pop.  Damn.
It is gauging too but not related to turbo..

Quote from: guest on 04/30/2012, 07:22 PMFurther derailing, dork bragging...

I played Magic starting with Beta in '93 until about '98. I got Time Walk in one of my first six booster packs. I had a beta Jet, an unlimited Ruby, a set of 40 dual lands, every blue card from Beta to Alliances, a Dark set, and most of Arabian Nights. Highlights were my first-turn Juzam Djinn in a tournament and my blue Time Walk/Stasis/Regrowth "lock" deck.

Punk rock eventually saved my life and dumped those fucking cards.

Back on topic:
http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidsLogin&_trksid=p4340.l2564&rt=nc&item=140666166978

Not really gouging, but the typo + "14 sold" is funny.
Right on another magic player, man yeah everything that is collectible these days(everything I use/play/watch/collect anyways) is often price gouged, MTG cards, Transformers, rare OOP horror VHS/DVD, metal/punk/death/grind/thrash vinyl, even lmtd ed sets of certain many Anime's

gekioh

to add to this, I often troll my local craigslist for deals on magic cards, I bought a dudes collcetion for $20 about 3 months ago that included a Vampiric Tutor(original), 2 Force of Wills, and Cruel Tutor, and 2 Sol Rings(revised).

JapanTokei

Reason all these things are going up in value are ppeople reaching back for the days of simplicity compared to todays alwayson- smartphone facebook culture.  Back then if i cant reach someone by landline, well he betrer have an answering machine!  Ha.

Magic is classic.  The fact its still going strong proves that garfield guy was a genius when he made this.  I wish i kept my collection.  Sold everyging for 350 before i went to college.

gekioh

Yep so very true man, I wish too that I had my original collection as well. I had 5 FoW's, 2 Berserks, 4 Sinkhole's, 4 Mana Drains, 2 Library of Alexandria's, list goes on. Never had a Black Lotus but I did have at least 1 of each of the Mox's. I also lead it up to the fact that everyone around my age (29) has finally reached that point in their careers(most likely) where they have money to spend and relish in their minds days of their youth and yearn for the things they once had as a child and in their teenage years, I know I do.

gekioh

Quote from: JapanTokei on 04/30/2012, 10:18 PMReason all these things are going up in value are ppeople reaching back for the days of simplicity compared to todays alwayson- smartphone facebook culture.  Back then if i cant reach someone by landline, well he betrer have an answering machine!  Ha.

Magic is classic.  The fact its still going strong proves that garfield guy was a genius when he made this.  I wish i kept my collection.  Sold everyging for 350 before i went to college. 
It is classic, I still play to this day, I started when Unlimited had been out and not to much longer Revised came along. I bought lots of Legends and even Antiquities boosters back than, Dark hadn't even been released quite yet. Anywho, I quit with Tempest(bad choice IMO I should have waited to quiit after the Urza block) than in 2004 I picked it back up with the Mirrodin block, quit that same year and sold all my cards a few years later for about $2,500. Regret ever doing that, anyways picked it up again with the Shards block and have ben playing strong since than.

JapanTokei

Lol i still have some revised kird apes.  I dont play but have acquired a fww decks so when time is ripe i can relish it with some quick simple games with family.  Im 34 and agree with your other statement as well.  Money becomrs secondary to memorys at tjis stage of our careers.  Esp since ben fuckbenke keeps printing more bills anyway so 100 bills feel like 10 back in the days.  So hold on to your treasures.  Personally i only sell off stuff due to lack of space or duplication/lack of use.  Blame the tiny spaces singaporeans call home for that..  Lol

VestCunt

Quote from: gekioh on 04/30/2012, 09:57 PMTransformers...
If Transformer prices are going insane, that's totally sweet. I've been meaning to sell mine for a while. Guess I'd better get on it before Michael Bay drives the franchise into the ground.
Topic Adjourned.

420GOAT

why are complete lots of pc engine hu cards so cheap compared to us stuff? is it the language? or just the us stuff is more rarer than fun?
I want to be more like 337.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the fucking car.

JapanTokei

Its a fad imo.  Back in 1999/2000 time such was not the case and pce stuff much more expensive.

Quote from: 420GOAT on 04/30/2012, 11:50 PMwhy are complete lots of pc engine hu cards so cheap compared to us stuff? is it the language? or just the us stuff is more rarer than fun?

420GOAT

Quote from: JapanTokei on 05/01/2012, 12:14 AMIts a fad imo.  Back in 1999/2000 time such was not the case and pce stuff much more expensive.

Quote from: 420GOAT on 04/30/2012, 11:50 PMwhy are complete lots of pc engine hu cards so cheap compared to us stuff? is it the language? or just the us stuff is more rarer than fun?
i remember when it was "cool" to have the japanese versions of play station games and stuff, so is it wise to get the japanese stuff while you can for a good deal, about $30 for ten cards and $15 to ship?

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the fucking car.

jlued686

My friend makes his living selling power tools and other shit on eBay. I asked him to sell my Japanese copy of Dynastic Hero for $25 OBO. He accidentally listed it at $45. I noticed the error and asked him to change it to $25. By the time he got around to it, somebody bought it at $45.

I throw myself at the mercy of the court. I plead guilty of 3rd degree, unintentional gouging.

CrackTiger

Quote from: guest on 05/01/2012, 12:34 PMMy friend makes his living selling power tools and other shit on eBay. I asked him to sell my Japanese copy of Dynastic Hero for $25 OBO. He accidentally listed it at $45. I noticed the error and asked him to change it to $25. By the time he got around to it, somebody bought it at $45.

I throw myself at the mercy of the court. I plead guilty of 3rd degree, unintentional gouging.
The clueless buyer was probably basing the value on the super expensive copy on eBay that a clueless seller thinks and says is ultra rare.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

420GOAT

why is bomberman 93 us way more than jap version on ebay?

Bernie

Quote from: 420GOAT on 05/01/2012, 03:04 PMwhy is bomberman 93 us way more than jap version on ebay?
Cuz it's a later releases that didn't see much shelf time here.

Keith Courage

NecroPhile

Quote from: 420GOAT on 05/01/2012, 03:04 PMwhy is bomberman 93 us way more than jap version on ebay?
Like Bernie intimated, the PCE version is far more common (at least ten to one).

Quote from: Keith Courage on 05/01/2012, 03:55 PMFunny stuff. Look at the buy it now price. $700 BIN ($350 starting price) for a TurboDuo.
Silly Canuckistanians! .... the sad thing is that he'll probably get the starting price.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

kamiboy

VestCunt

NEC history 101: The PCE did well in Japan, the TG16 was unpopular garbage in the U.S. The TG16 died in '93, with a couple last games trickling out of TTI in '94. The PCE, on the other hand, was still fairly well supported into '95 and the last game came out in '99.

As for Bomberman 93, remember that the U.S. version had the superfluous box packaging that everyone threw away when they were a kid, but can't live without now that they're an adult - that's going to effect the price. PC Engine packaging fared better because jewel cases are practical and swappable if they crack.
Topic Adjourned.

jperryss

Quote from: guest on 05/01/2012, 09:20 PMNEC history 101: The PCE did well in Japan, the TG16 was unpopular garbage in the U.S. The TG16 died in '93, with a couple last games trickling out of TTI in '94. The PCE, on the other hand, was still fairly well supported into '95 and the last game came out in '99.
Since we're on the subject: Are there any TG games that were more popular and/or had a higher print run than their PCE counterparts, making the PCE version more expensive? Not counting US-only releases, of course.

VestCunt

Quote from: jperryss on 05/01/2012, 09:44 PM
Quote from: VestCunt on 05/01/2012, 09:20 PMNEC history 101: The PCE did well in Japan, the TG16 was unpopular garbage in the U.S. The TG16 died in '93, with a couple last games trickling out of TTI in '94. The PCE, on the other hand, was still fairly well supported into '95 and the last game came out in '99.
Since we're on the subject: Are there any TG games that were more popular and/or had a higher print run than their PCE counterparts, making the PCE version more expensive? Not counting US-only releases, of course.
Not that I can think of. Maybe Keith Courage? I have no idea what the PCE had pack-in wise, or if they even bundled systems with games over there.
Some PC Engine games enjoy a little extra popularity because of better cover art and better packaging. Also, there were some stupid censoring/localization decisions that drive fans to the PCE versions (Splatterhouse, Devil's Crush, Bonk, Zonk, the Working Designs games).  TTI put as much hype as they could muster behind Lords of Thunder and Air Zonk, but I'm sure their print runs were still small compared to Japan. We know Ys 1-2 had at least three different printings and Dungeon Explorer 2 got an extra 1,000 discs, but both remain rarer than the PCE versions.
Topic Adjourned.

hoobs88

Quote from: guest on 05/01/2012, 09:20 PMNEC history 101: The PCE did well in Japan, the TG16 was unpopular garbage in the U.S. The TG16 died in '93, with a couple last games trickling out of TTI in '94. The PCE, on the other hand, was still fairly well supported into '95 and the last game came out in '99.
Parasol Stars and Splatterhouse both have more expensive PCE versions than their US counterparts.
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

gekioh

[/quote]
Not that I can think of. Maybe Keith Courage? I have no idea what the PCE had pack-in wise, or if they even bundled systems with games over there.
Some PC Engine games enjoy a little extra popularity because of better cover art and better packaging. Also, there were some stupid censoring/localization decisions that drive fans to the PCE versions (Splatterhouse, Devil's Crush, Bonk, Zonk, the Working Designs games).  TTI put as much hype as they could muster behind Lords of Thunder and Air Zonk, but I'm sure their print runs were still small compared to Japan. We know Ys 1-2 had at least three different printings and Dungeon Explorer 2 got an extra 1,000 discs, but both remain rarer than the PCE versions.[/quote]
Whoa so DE II had an extra 1000 discs printed, as in w/no case or manual? This is something I did not know, hmmmm......interesting.

VestCunt

Quote from: hoobs88 on 05/01/2012, 10:19 PMParasol Stars and Splatterhouse both have more expensive PCE versions than their US counterparts.
Really?  I've never paid any attention to prices for those two. Why Parasol Stars?

Quote from: gekioh on 05/01/2012, 10:36 PMWhoa so DE II had an extra 1000 discs printed, as in w/no case or manual? This is something I did not know, hmmmm......interesting.
Oops - maybe it was two runs of 500:
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9653.msg204732#msg204732

We never got definitive proof that Jayamine's info came directly from Garwood, but his story supports other rumors we've heard over the years.
Topic Adjourned.

gekioh

So not that it is related to this thread at all, but Vestcunt(or anyone who may know) I was reading up a bit in that thread that you linked in your quote/reply and saw a link to anime4ever.de and clicked on it. I saw that the guy had that sapphy boot, along with now a Rockman apparently, so my ? is, is it possible at all to still get that from him, does anyone know, I tried to click on that "email me" link but it doesnt go anywhere.

Mathius

As far as I know he is still in business.

hoobs88

Quote from: guest on 05/01/2012, 11:37 PM
Quote from: hoobs88 on 05/01/2012, 10:19 PMParasol Stars and Splatterhouse both have more expensive PCE versions than their US counterparts.
Really?  I've never paid any attention to prices for those two. Why Parasol Stars?
I have no idea why PCE version of Parasol Stars costs more than US. Splatterhouse is supposedly "uncensored" which may explain the price difference. Ninja Spirit is another one where the PCE version is worth more than the US (probably due to the fact that it was pack in title for US).
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

JapanTokei

Yup, Ninja spirit is highlybdesirable in good cpndition on pce.  Unopened ones can reach 10000 yen still on yahoo jp.  It rarely pops up too.  keith courage is much rarer in pce as well.  Parasol stars ditto.  And both alien crush and devils crush ( knowm as devils crash) are fairly uncommon titles and hard to find compared to tg versions.  Gate of thunder pce complete with spine has become more tough to locate too in recent years and cost u easily 50 bucks. 

Excuse the typos..  Firing away on iphpne here

Quote from: hoobs88 on 05/02/2012, 01:03 AM
Quote from: guest on 05/01/2012, 11:37 PM
I have no idea why PCE version of Parasol Stars costs more than US. Splatterhouse is supposedly "uncensored" which may explain the price difference. Ninja Spirit is another one where the PCE version is worth more than the US (probably due to the fact that it was pack in title for US).

JapanTokei

case in point with Devil's Crash:

http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n106132749

that's already $30 bucks ish... when it's all said and done with shipping/yahoo fees and all it will be close to $40 bucks when the US version can be had for $15.  Of course the US version's covertart blows and there were some censorship to the demonic references... and the PCE version is also rarer...

PikachuWarrior

IMG

JapanTokei

Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 05/02/2012, 04:48 AMYahoo still d03s auctions?
JP only.  Yahoo is the biggest online auction player there.  Ebay pooped in their pants and lost that war years and years ago. 
having said that yahoo's site is sheit.

city41

Quote from: JapanTokei on 05/02/2012, 03:55 AMwhen the US version [Devil's Crush] can be had for $15.
Really? The last Devil's Crush auction went for $25 (7 bids) and the current live one is starting at $34 (although no bids). I'm keeping my eye on them because I want the game, would love to get it for $15.

jperryss

Quote from: city41 on 05/02/2012, 07:32 AM
Quote from: JapanTokei on 05/02/2012, 03:55 AMwhen the US version [Devil's Crush] can be had for $15.
Really? The last Devil's Crush auction went for $25 (7 bids) and the current live one is starting at $34 (although no bids). I'm keeping my eye on them because I want the game, would love to get it for $15.
I got mine about 2 years ago for (I think) $25 or so. I've never seen the US version in the $15 range. AC maybe, but not DC.

CrackTiger

Quote from: city41 on 05/02/2012, 07:32 AM
There is currently a BIN listing for $19.99. Asking prices aren't an indication of anything on eBay. Unfortunately, eBay narrowed down the completed listings to hide cheaper selling prices as well.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Samurai Ghost

Quote from: hoobs88 on 05/01/2012, 10:19 PM
Parasol Stars and Splatterhouse both have more expensive PCE versions than their US counterparts.
Yeah, as far as HuCards go I would say those, Ninja Spirit, some others mentioned, and Raiden. You can get it CIB for the TG16 for around $15 but PCE version always seems to go for a LOT more.

kakutolives

Good Sellers (in my experience)
Samurai Ghost, Keith Courage, Bernie, tggodfrey, bartre (hoping to add more to this list soon)

People who are just plain Awesome:
BlueBMW (to this day i thank you for hooking me up with Sapphire and getting me started with collecting PCE games)

SuperDeadite

Quote from: kakutolives on 05/03/2012, 03:10 AMI died a little on the inside today...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fantastic-Night-Dreams-Cotton-Turbo-Grafx-CD-w-Manual-/270833858922?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item3f0ef4b96a
ROLF, especially on that game where you get a game truly inferior to the Japanese version.  I do prefer the USA cover on that one, but that's the only advantage it has.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

SMF

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 05/03/2012, 03:31 AM
Quote from: kakutolives on 05/03/2012, 03:10 AMI died a little on the inside today...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fantastic-Night-Dreams-Cotton-Turbo-Grafx-CD-w-Manual-/270833858922?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item3f0ef4b96a
ROLF, especially on that game where you get a game truly inferior to the Japanese version.  I do prefer the USA cover on that one, but that's the only advantage it has.
HELL YES I JUST BOUGHT IT, THATS A DAM GOOooo.......... WTF i thougt it said $4.34 for the game. LOL what a rip off lol
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

JapanTokei

WTF is up with these crazy ASK prices for USA Cotton?  totally unwarranted.. it was already high but tolerable at the $100s range but I think since some dude who sold Dynastic Hero and a few others on Ebay where his Cotton went for 500 (prob bullshit bids btw), it seems fella ebay rippers have automatically assumed the game is now worth 500. 

baaaaaaaa-ka.

Quote from: SMF on 05/03/2012, 04:54 AM
Quote from: SuperDeadite on 05/03/2012, 03:31 AM

HELL YES I JUST BOUGHT IT, THATS A DAM GOOooo.......... WTF i thougt it said $4.34 for the game. LOL what a rip off lol

PikachuWarrior

What's the difference between Cotton and Magical Chase? Or are they different games entirely?
IMG

NecroPhile

Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 05/03/2012, 01:22 PMWhat's the difference between Cotton and Magical Chase? Or are they different games entirely?
Other than they both are shmups and have cute witches for heros, they're completely different games.

kamiboy

Magical chase is the better looking game if you ask me. Just visually. For some reason the none pixel art looking graphics of Cotton make me gag. Whenever I see games whose sprites look like clip art or who use pre-rendered 3D!!! sprites I think of flash games which is not a very positive association.

I've only seen it in youtube videos though, so it might look better running on a TV, but I doubt it.

Arkhan Asylum

KingOfGames won't sell his PC games.

He's got like 30 or so left that I offered on.   He never got back to me, and now says he will hold onto them.

Figured as much.   I didn't offer him enough money for it to be worth the resale.

also, I found him trying to resell something on a different forum.  It wasn't even a game, just some goofy remote control boat or some shit.

Typical.

Notice how he doesn't post at all now?
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

NecroPhile

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 05/03/2012, 01:40 PMNotice how he doesn't post at all now?
Are you surprised?  The vast majority of his posts were in this thread trying to justify his actions or wildly off topic; it's not like he wanted to actually be a part of this community.

Arkhan Asylum

Yeah, but I really wanted the games he was selling, lol.

My price seemed fair too.  I offered 100 bucks  + Shipping for them.   Considering he sold the better, expensive titles already, one would assume he's already profitted.  This is just gravy at this point.

Some of them were pretty neat older RPGs.

Oh well, I guess ill have to buy em from a different goon.

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

PikachuWarrior

People like KOGZ wander on said forums for a while, get their use out of it, move on, rinse and repeat. Sometimes they come back, but only for specific reasons. They never last long.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

its a shame people like him end up with great games that deserve to be played instead of sitting in his fuckin garage in a pile.

PikachuWarrior

He doesn't care. All he sees his dollar signs and the potential to gain profit from the cheap games he finds. Even if he bought that PC lot for $10 and you offered him $100, obviously he wouldn't take it. The potential profit isn't high enough in his eyes. Typical business mentality.

Works in his favor, but does nothing for the true gamer looking for X game.
IMG

DragonmasterDan

This is a perfect demonstration of the problems with ebay. Not only that he's had 12 offers and rejected all of them (or let them expire). This guy clearly isn't interested in selling the game.
--DragonmasterDan

Arkhan Asylum

I offered 6$

It was declined.

EDIT: oh wait no, its still pending.

I can't read.