PC Engine Homebrew News: The duo that brought you FX-Unit Yuki returns! A demo for "Nyanja!" is available, an action platformer akin to games like Bubble Bobble & Snow Bros in gameplay style.
Main Menu

Turbo Gouging on Ebay ( r.i.p. - gouging much )

Started by NecroPhile, 08/03/2010, 04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roflmao

Quote from: guest on 05/17/2012, 10:56 PMWhat's not to believe? They're all likely bids as an "investment" which will be on display for $1500+ until their investment pays out.
I'm just not wired that way. :)  It's a game machine.  I can't imagine having a console and not playing it.

tggodfrey

Wow....I have no idea what to say other than "who in their right mind has 800.00 to spend on a video game console that cost 300 new?"
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

kamiboy

I was one of the people bidding more than 500 for that one. That "NEW" Turbo Duo that I bought two weeks back turned out not to be so new after all. The power adapter was a used adapter showing signs of repair from some Japanese model, the packin games were missing and there was no manual either. The controller had scratches too. About the only thing minty in that box was the system itself so I was in the process of forcing the buyer to take it back and refund me so I could get that other "New" listing instead.

I think I might as well hang onto the one I got now.

CrackTiger

This Legend of Hero Tonma bullshit on eBay just keeps getting worse-

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Legend-Hero-Tonma-TurboGrafx-16-1993-Super-Rare-Complete-Super-Condition-/280883140290?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item4165f096c2

"Super Rare" -min bid $350, BIN $450

Quote from: tggodfrey on 05/18/2012, 12:26 AMWow....I have no idea what to say other than "who in their right mind has 800.00 to spend on a video game console that cost 300 new?"
I don't think that what anything cost when new should matter at all. Unless you think that $200 for a TG-16, $650 for a Turbo-CD and $50 for World Sports Tennis is fair. I think that the fact that you can currently buy a TurboDuo for $100 - $300 should be more alarming.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

jlued686

Quote from: CrackTiger on 05/18/2012, 08:08 AMThis Legend of Hero Tonma bullshit on eBay just keeps getting worse-

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Legend-Hero-Tonma-TurboGrafx-16-1993-Super-Rare-Complete-Super-Condition-/280883140290?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item4165f096c2
Wow...while it would be nice to have Tonma in that condition, I can't believe people are starting to charge that much for it. The games in my sig are getting more and more difficult to acquire.

NecroPhile

Quote from: kamiboy on 05/17/2012, 09:06 PM$811.01 + $73.63 shipping for a 'new' TurboDuo.

I never thought this would go over 550-600...
If he really did purchase it new in '91 and never opened it, where's Ninja Spirit and the box band?

Attention!

Please add a description of the gouge, otherwise the post will be useless two weeks later when eBay purges it from their ended auctions.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

kamiboy

According to Wikipedia the Turbo Duo went on sale in '92, so I think the seller's memory is a bit fuzzy. It was over 20 years ago.

NecroPhile

Quote from: kamiboy on 05/18/2012, 11:58 AMAccording to Wikipedia the Turbo Duo went on sale in '92, so I think the seller's memory is a bit fuzzy. It was over 20 years ago.
Either he's a liar or it's more than a 'bit'.  If it really was purchased new at retail, it came with the band and a huey.

Bernie

Quote from: guest on 05/18/2012, 12:04 PM
Quote from: kamiboy on 05/18/2012, 11:58 AMAccording to Wikipedia the Turbo Duo went on sale in '92, so I think the seller's memory is a bit fuzzy. It was over 20 years ago.
Either he's a liar or it's more than a 'bit'.  If it really was purchased new at retail, it came with the band and a huey.
I thought the same thing.  Even if he opened it to check everything out, it should have both those things.

Samurai Ghost

Quote from: guest on 05/18/2012, 09:18 AM
Quote from: guest on 05/18/2012, 08:08 AMThis Legend of Hero Tonma bullshit on eBay just keeps getting worse-

Wow...while it would be nice to have Tonma in that condition, I can't believe people are starting to charge that much for it. The games in my sig are getting more and more difficult to acquire.
I've seen the PC Engine version sell for around $2...

tggodfrey

Either he's a liar or it's more than a 'bit'.  If it really was purchased new at retail, it came with the band and a huey.
It weird you say that necro.  Everyone claims theirs came with a mystery Huey but when I got mine new, I never got one.  All i got were the pack in CD's.  No band either.  No idea why.

FWIW, i did get mine in the summer of 91 ordered from Sears Catalog.  (8th Grade Grade grad gift.)
Games currently in play:

GohanX

Did Gates and Ys come in paper sleeves like that? I always thought it came in a plain case, but I bought mine from TZD so that may have been a TZD thing.

VestCunt

Quote from: kamiboy on 05/18/2012, 07:51 AMI was one of the people bidding more than 500 for that one. That "NEW" Turbo Duo that I bought two weeks back turned out not to be so new after all. The power adapter was a used adapter showing signs of repair from some Japanese model, the packin games were missing and there was no manual either. The controller had scratches too. About the only thing minty in that box was the system itself so I was in the process of forcing the buyer to take it back and refund me so I could get that other "New" listing instead.

I think I might as well hang onto the one I got now.
Let me get this straight. First you spent $500 on Duo #1 and you thought the modern Radio Shack-ish box was a stock PSU and you were surprised that it didn't come with the pack-ins and manual that weren't in any of the four pictures??

Then, two weeks later, you turned around and bid over $500 on Duo #2 from a lying seller.

Let me tell you something - that "new" Duo doesn't even work. The seller said it has never been booted up because it's suffering from cap failure/sound issues and he can deny any accountability if he passes it off as new. Having no qualms about opening everything up to take pictures, but stopping short of testing it is a bunch of bologna. The hucard, bandstripe, and shrinkwrap are missing and the box is beat to hell because it's been in his "climate-controlled" closet and the system has been taken in and out of it over the years. The Duo has been used and he doesn't know how to fix it, but he was smart enough to keep most of the packaging and hopes he can still pass it off as new to a sucker like you.

Meanwhile, you still don't know what a new Duo even looks like, but you'll continue to blow ghastly amounts of money while relying on Wikipedia for your information and bitching about an imagined "ebay Cartel" while the rest of us sit around bitching about the auctions you're bidding on and wondering why our hobby is going down the drain. Thanks pal.

Quote from: kamiboy on 05/18/2012, 11:58 AMAccording to Wikipedia the Turbo Duo went on sale in '92, so I think the seller's memory is a bit fuzzy.
Rather than wondering if that's true, you could confirm the fact and maybe learn a thing or two by going on Estaban's magazine archive and reading any article about Turbo Technologies in 1992... or you could look at the manufacturer date from 1992 on the bottom of your non-minty Duo.

Quote from: tggodfrey on 05/18/2012, 02:23 PMFWIW, i did get mine in the summer of 91 ordered from Sears Catalog.  (8th Grade Grade grad gift.)
Check the date by your serial number. I guarantee it's 1992.
Topic Adjourned.

VestCunt

Quote from: JKM on 05/18/2012, 02:47 PMDid Gates and Ys come in paper sleeves like that? I always thought it came in a plain case, but I bought mine from TZD so that may have been a TZD thing.
That is a plain case. It's a thin white cardboard box with two windows to display the artwork. It holds two standard jewel cases side by side.
Topic Adjourned.

tggodfrey

Vestcunt, i am not saying it doesnt, just saying I got it in summer of 91.  I dont have it to look at but I know for a fact I got it that summer because I had to use Grad money to buy it.
Games currently in play:

roflmao

I remember buying a Duo as soon as they were released and I thought it was 1992.  I was curious so I looked it up.  :)

Here's a scan from a TurboPlay December 1991/January 1992 issue stating "According to the rumors, it will be released around August or September 1992 with a suggested retail price of $399."

IMG

VestCunt

Quote from: tggodfrey on 05/18/2012, 02:59 PMVestcoat, i am not saying it doesnt, just saying I got it in summer of 91.  I dont have it to look at but I know for a fact I got it that summer because I had to use Grad money to buy it.
Are you talking about a PC Engine Duo? The U.S. Duo and GoT didn't come out until Fall 1992. I have the EGM's, the VG&CE's, the Game Informers, and the TTI mailings to prove it. We discussed our Duo manufacturer dates once and everybody was late 1992.
Topic Adjourned.

kamiboy

Quote from: Bernie on 05/18/2012, 01:01 PM
Either he's a liar or it's more than a 'bit'.  If it really was purchased new at retail, it came with the band and a huey.
I thought the same thing.  Even if he opened it to check everything out, it should have both those things.
At least the two games are there and everything looks new. Here is the responce I got from the german seller who apparantly was selling the Duo on behalf of someone else when I told him that the item he shipped me cannot be called new:

"Hello ! What you say is absolutely false. The console is really new !! I am a privat seller and I wrote in this Auction, that I don`t take the all back. I don`t trust you ! You write only shit and you lie !! The console don`t have any scratches and the console is functioning. I have tested. You have buy it ! I am not industry seller. all what you write is shit !!! "

What is it about consoles that makes sellers think it is okay to open them up, remove content and still call the item new. It is not the first time I bought a new system where the pack-in games were removed without the seller clearly stating that fact.

This time I am not going to take it, especially since this cost so much and there are so many things missing or replaced with used items.

NecroPhile

Quote from: guest on 05/18/2012, 03:11 PMHere's a scan from a TurboPlay December 1991/January 1992...
Look at that blurb about the CD+G being included with the TG-CD.  I figured they were included earlier in its lifespan, not that late in the game.

Quote from: kamiboy on 05/18/2012, 04:21 PMWhat is it about consoles that makes sellers think it is okay to open them up, remove content and still call the item new.
Some peeps can't see (or choose to ignore) the difference between 'new' and 'like new'.  I call them "twats".

Samurai Ghost

Yeah, people really don't know what new means. If it is tested it's not new!!

I got burned by a guy on Yahoo auctions Japan selling a "new" copy of Symphony of the Night for Saturn. Natually I bid more than I would for an open copy. Got an opened copy that had some light scuffs on the disc. How is that new?! He said he had opened it to check the contents... What BS!!

roflmao

Quote from: guest on 05/18/2012, 05:11 PMLook at that blurb about the CD+G being included with the TG-CD.  I figured they were included earlier in its lifespan, not that late in the game.
When I got my CD Addon, it didn't come with a CD+G.  I've always wanted one. :(  One of these days I'm going to get one of the SEGA discs off Amazon (I think they were about $5 last time I checked).

VestCunt

Quote from: guest on 05/18/2012, 05:25 PM
Quote from: NecroPhile on 05/18/2012, 05:11 PMLook at that blurb about the CD+G being included with the TG-CD.  I figured they were included earlier in its lifespan, not that late in the game.
When I got my CD Addon, it didn't come with a CD+G.  I've always wanted one. :(  One of these days I'm going to get one of the SEGA discs off Amazon (I think they were about $5 last time I checked).
Interesting. It looks like the New Dimension disc was only included from late '91 until the Duo came out in late '92 (I don't think TGCDs were produced after the Duo came out). At any rate, don't worry if you can't find A New Dimension. Get the Sega CD disc and whatever Hendrix, Information Society, Lou Reed, or classical discs you're interested in and you'll be more than happy.

Quote from: kamiboy on 05/18/2012, 04:21 PMWhat is it about consoles that makes sellers think it is okay to open them up, remove content and still call the item new. It is not the first time I bought a new system where the pack-in games were removed without the seller clearly stating that fact.

This time I am not going to take it, especially since this cost so much and there are so many things missing or replaced with used items.
You honestly believed this was new?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=190670541774&nma=true&rt=nc&si=%252Bgrd1EGdGHm5lCgoBqtn4vEif%252Fw%253D&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

You'll go far in life!
Topic Adjourned.

roflmao

Quote from: guest on 05/18/2012, 05:45 PMInteresting. It looks like the New Dimension disc was only included from late '91 until the Duo came out in late '92 (I don't think TGCDs were produced after the Duo came out). At any rate, don't worry if you can't find A New Dimension. Get the Sega CD disc and whatever Hendrix, Information Society, Lou Reed, or classical discs you're interested in and you'll be more than happy.
I'm a big Information Society fan, but the version of their first CD I have didn't include the CD+G stuff.  :(  I've been tempted to buy another copy, but I usually listen to them in the car or while I'm sitting at the computer working so haven't convinced myself that it's a necessary purchase (yet).  I'll likely get the Sega CD one of these days for the novelty of it.

glazball

I love Information Society also, but from what I've seen of those CD+G images, it's not really worth the effort lol.  You're better off just enjoying the music...  which btw I haven't listened to in a while, think I'll do that.  Great album!
glazball's game collection and wantlist

kamiboy

Quote from: Samurai Ghost on 05/18/2012, 05:24 PMYeah, people really don't know what new means. If it is tested it's not new!!

I got burned by a guy on Yahoo auctions Japan selling a "new" copy of Symphony of the Night for Saturn. Natually I bid more than I would for an open copy. Got an opened copy that had some light scuffs on the disc. How is that new?! He said he had opened it to check the contents... What BS!!
For older systems I can understand why a seller would want to test it avoid the hassle of something arriving DOA. If you are smart you will use accessories that you have lying around for the test so you just need to take out the system itself.

But when you say its new and stuff are missing then try to pull the "but I didn't list it in the description" rubbish you get under my skin.

Hey, you want to buy a new car? What is that, the "new" car I sold you has no seats or windows? Well of course not, I didn't list them in them in the description, now did I?

roflmao

Quote from: glazball on 05/18/2012, 07:56 PMI love Information Society also, but from what I've seen of those CD+G images, it's not really worth the effort lol.  You're better off just enjoying the music...  which btw I haven't listened to in a while, think I'll do that.  Great album!
They released a new album a handful of years ago called Synthesizer.  It's really good.  Unfortunately, there was some feuding going on between the original bandmates and their original singer, Kurt Somethingorother (I think his last name changed for each album) only sang on one track.  The guy they used for the other tracks, though, sounds eerily similar.  It's fun, poppy, synth-y stuff, reminiscent of Peace & Love, Inc.

VestCunt

Quote from: glazball on 05/18/2012, 07:56 PMI love Information Society also, but from what I've seen of those CD+G images, it's not really worth the effort lol. 
Do you know a better way to get Information Society's chili recipe?
Topic Adjourned.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 05/18/2012, 05:45 PMInteresting. It looks like the New Dimension disc was only included from late '91 until the Duo came out in late '92 (I don't think TGCDs were produced after the Duo came out). At any rate, don't worry if you can't find A New Dimension. Get the Sega CD disc and whatever Hendrix, Information Society, Lou Reed, or classical discs you're interested in and you'll be more than happy.
Yeah, the TG-CD was discontinued when NEC handed over the reigns to TTI. TTI did have a large stock of unsold ones though, they eventually got marked down to 199.99, 149.99 and eventually 99.99.
--DragonmasterDan

roflmao

tggodfrey

Quote from: guest on 05/18/2012, 03:33 PM
Quote from: tggodfrey on 05/18/2012, 02:59 PMVestcunt, i am not saying it doesnt, just saying I got it in summer of 91.  I dont have it to look at but I know for a fact I got it that summer because I had to use Grad money to buy it.
Are you talking about a PC Engine Duo? The U.S. Duo and GoT didn't come out until Fall 1992. I have the EGM's, the VG&CE's, the Game Informers, and the TTI mailings to prove it. We discussed our Duo manufacturer dates once and everybody was late 1992.
I am not calling anyone a liar.  I suppose I could have my years mixed up but I grad freshman year in 92 so that doesnt add up.

I got my TG16 the christmas after splatterhouse was released, then the Duo I got just under a year later.  I recall that halloween splatterhouse was a huge deal at Hades haunted house in villa Park.  Either way my duo didnt come with a huey or the band everyone claims they came with.  Its possible it wasnt there on early models.  I do remember looking at the label on the box and thinking it was very odd the serial was dated 92.  No idea why though.

The release was a big deal by us because most of my friends were Genny lovers and the Mega Drive wasnt out yet.  One friend kept saying how the MD will blow this away!  he was such an asshole about it.
Games currently in play:

VestCunt

Quote from: tggodfrey on 05/19/2012, 12:22 AMI am not calling anyone a liar.
I know. You're cool. I just want to sort this out because there's a lot of confusion regarding release dates as we get older and newcomers repeat hearsay.

Here's another news clipping dating the Duo's release to Fall of '92:
IMG

Go to the Turboplay archives and browse by year, read any article from '92 and all they talk about is the upcoming TurboDuo and the founding of TTI.

SCD games didn't even exist in the U.S. until 1992. This can be verified by the copyrights. You won't find any SCD magazine coverage until 1992. Gate of Thunder won the EGM Editor's Choices Gold in the November 1992 issue. The games they reviewed were occasionally a month or two old, but not a year. The first EGM Buyers' Guide to feature the Duo was the 1993 issue. The Duo's box features Air Zonk and Air Zonk wasn't released until 1992. I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

Maybe you're mixed up because school years span calendar years? I don't know.

Quote from: tggodfrey on 05/19/2012, 12:22 AMI do remember looking at the label on the box and thinking it was very odd the serial was dated 92.  No idea why though.
It wasn't just the box, the bottom of each system bears a date of manufacture.
Topic Adjourned.

CrackTiger

QuoteSCD games didn't even exist in the U.S. until 1992. This can be verified by the copyrights.
Although 1992 sounds right to me and 1991 sounds way too early, SCD games were also sold before the TurboDuo was.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

SMF

LOL thats funny, Its like people pay out the ass for empty cardboard or complete games. Give me manual and game and im happy.
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

city41

Sealed LoT, starting at $99

How rare is a sealed LoT for reals? I bought one from here for 25 pounds. With shipping to the US it ended up being $47 total.

Bernie

Thats a rip off.  I bought mine sealed, just last year, for a mere 25.00 plus shipping.  This off eBay too.

Sparky

Quote from: city41 on 05/22/2012, 08:32 PMSealed LoT, starting at $99

How rare is a sealed LoT for reals? I bought one from here for 25 pounds. With shipping to the US it ended up being $47 total.
There are some sealed freaks out there, go look over on sealed heaven.com I think it's called, unbeliveable what these guys will pay for sealed shit, I won't be surprised if it does sell.   F@ck the Plastic wrap

NightWolve

You can fake shrinkwrapping nowadays, can't you ?

hoobs88

Quote from: Bernie on 05/22/2012, 11:18 PMThats a rip off.  I bought mine sealed, just last year, for a mere 25.00 plus shipping.  This off eBay too.
There have been quite a few sealed ones still floating around over the past few years for ~$25.
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

bartre

i never pay attention to sealed prices, got my lords for $21 shipped off ebay though.
it's kind of crazy what some people think of sealed games.
I own 2 - perfect dark N64 (only because i got it for free and owned the game already) and devil summoner 2 LE (haven't played the first yet, then that sucker's getting opened)

VestCunt

Quote from: guest on 05/22/2012, 11:31 PMThere are some sealed freaks out there, go look over on sealed heaven.com I think it's called, unbeliveable what these guys will pay for sealed shit, I won't be surprised if it does sell.   F@ck the Plastic wrap
I had a phone conversation with one of the winners of my ebay auctions a couple months ago to confirm a suspicious address. We started talking about other things and he confessed that his max bid for the common, sealed, Turbochip he won was $400 (protection after being sniped on an earlier item). I couldn't believe it. He'd been collecting TG16 for two months.
Topic Adjourned.

PikachuWarrior

its sealedgameheaven.com nice community, but a little extreme, and most of the users there are from the UK.
IMG

Opethian

IMG

roflmao

NecroPhile

What kind of ass pays (overpays) $480 shipped for an obviously not new Duo and immediately tries to flip it for $588?  Plus, you just know he'll get a little something from paypal for the item being inaccurately described.

kamiboy

I got nothing from eBay, they sided with the seller because I asked that he mark the value down for shipping to avoid customs. Also I paid more for shipping than what the seller had put on the listing, something in the order of 80.

Lastly 520-530 is not overpaying for a new Turbo Duo, 660 is which is what I just paid for the genuine NIB Turbo Duo that will replace this one.

SuperDeadite

How long until the new one is for sale?
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

kamiboy

I am keeping that one. I was planning on returning this for a refund but eBay made that impossible so it has got to go, with as little loss to me as possible.

SuperDeadite

Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

NecroPhile

Quote from: kamiboy on 05/23/2012, 10:01 AMI got nothing from eBay, they sided with the seller because I asked that he mark the value down for shipping to avoid customs. Also I paid more for shipping than what the seller had put on the listing, something in the order of 80.
It doesn't matter - you're still asking for more than what you paid.

Quote from: kamiboy on 05/23/2012, 10:01 AMLastly 520-530 is not overpaying for a new Turbo Duo, 660 is which is what I just paid for the genuine NIB Turbo Duo that will replace this one.
This Duo was obviously not new, and I can't help it that you're a moron.