@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Turbo Gouging on Ebay ( r.i.p. - gouging much )

Started by NecroPhile, 08/03/2010, 04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kamiboy

Well, I cant help that I do not care. I paid around 530 for it and I am selling it for 560 shipped meaning I am losing a little money. I am not selling it for less than that in order to win some Turbo karma points from some anonymous posters on a forum.

SuperDeadite

Question, why are you using the same exact pics from the original seller as you're own?  You state stuff got scuffed up on the shmups thread, but you are recycling the old pics?  This marks you as a potential scamer in my eye. But either way, soon you will be in my tuna can!
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

NecroPhile

Quote from: kamiboy on 05/23/2012, 10:22 AMWell, I cant help that I do not care. I paid around 530 for it and I am selling it for 560 shipped meaning I am losing a little money. I am not selling it for less than that in order to win some Turbo karma points from some anonymous posters on a forum.
So you think you should recoup all fees and shipping costs on something that you're immediately flipping for no reason other than you were ignorant of what you buying?  I repeat: you are a moron.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Opethian

Why didnt you try to post it here and sell it in the threads here?
IMG

geise

kamiboy

The only thing that got scuffed is the controller. I'll prove pictures if the seller wants.

I use the pictures from the previous listing because at full size they are really high quality and show off the shape of the system well. I only have a shitty phone camera at home so anything I took could not do it justice.

kamiboy

Quote from: Opethian on 05/23/2012, 10:26 AMWhy didnt you try to post it here and sell it in the threads here?
Because you I know you guys by now. None of you would even consider it for that price.

OldRover

$600?? That thing better give a BJ while you play it for that price.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Opethian

Quote from: kamiboy on 05/23/2012, 10:29 AM
Quote from: Opethian on 05/23/2012, 10:26 AMWhy didnt you try to post it here and sell it in the threads here?
Because you I know you guys by now. None of you would even consider it for that price.
That is the exact response I was looking for thanks... you have a beautiful future ahead of you...
IMG

NecroPhile

Can anyone give me a close-up pic of a legitimate new Duo?
Just as I suspected - this one is a fake!!!

kamiboy

You guys sure like your drama. It is on eBay too by the way, for a whopping 100 CAD more BIN.

NecroPhile

I should buy it so I can resell it at $800. 

PunkCryborg

OldRover

Quote from: kamiboy on 05/23/2012, 10:39 AMYou guys sure like your drama.
It's not about drama, dude. I dunno if you noticed, but people 'round these parts don't take too kindly to price gouging. If you've got buyer's remorse, that's your own damn fault.
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

CrackTiger

Quote from: kamiboy on 05/23/2012, 10:01 AMI got nothing from eBay, they sided with the seller because I asked that he mark the value down for shipping to avoid customs. Also I paid more for shipping than what the seller had put on the listing, something in the order of 80.

Lastly 520-530 is not overpaying for a new Turbo Duo, 660 is which is what I just paid for the genuine NIB Turbo Duo that will replace this one.
Even if that were true, you are talking about an incomplete used TurboDuo. You stated elsewhere what your personal definition of "New" is, but the rest of the world has a very different definition. eBay actually went so far as to describe terms like "New" and the lot you bought to flip fails to qualify as even "Like New". Even if a description in an eBay listing accurately describes an item that isn't technically new, calling it "new" and/ir checking the condition box as "new" can enable a buyer to file a successful claim, since one if the descriptions is a lie.

Separate from that, Turbo collectibles often sell at premiums as collectibles, not as functional game gear. A MIB or new TurboDuo earns a premium collectors price for being a complete collectors item. A mixed batch of random odds and ends does not equal a MIB collectors item.

Finally, asking no less than you over paid for a bad investment isn't a fair price. It's the same as when a reseller buys an overpriced game and immediately tries to flip it for even more. They may believe that their purchase counts as proof of the value, because at least one person was willing to pay that much, but it in no way reflects "value" in any sense, collectibles or otherwise.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

SMF

It comes down to to you got screwed and now your looking to return the favor on someone else. Put it on ebay for 0.99 and be honest (if you dont want to sell it here first) and someone will buy it.
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

Bernie

kami, while I do understand you feel that you got screwed, I really don't see it that way.  The pics in the auction clearly showed a VERY nice looking system, but was clearly not new.  If you aren't willing to keep it, hell, just throw it on eBay at a true auction and not some BIN price.  We all get burned from time to time, so chin up and move on.  :)  You stated that you aren't exactly poor, well that's great.  :)  So, go get a digital cam man.  They arent that high anymore, hell they are actually kinda cheap now.  Take some nice pics of the system, and post em.  While I am sure the Duo will sell, I am positive you will lose money on it.  So, basically either eat it, or let it go to get some of your money back.   :mrgreen:

Unfortunately, if you try to let it go for more than you paid for it, or even close to it, then it won't be in your favor in the forums.  It's how it is.  We basically let things go here for decent prices, and even given away sometimes.  That's the purpose of having your forum pals.   :mrgreen:  You paid a little more than you should have for that Duo, soo....you options are kinda limited here, aside from just keeping it.

OldRover

I might pay $100 for it. Maybe. And that's being generous.

PikachuWarrior

He's just feeling butt-hurt that he didn't do his research earlier and since he can't get his money back in the traditional sense, he wants to make his manhood feel better by ripping someone else off.
IMG

OldRover

It takes a man to realize that your own ignorance caused you to make an expensive mistake... and then suck it up and move on. Call it a "learning experience".

Bernie

Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 05/23/2012, 01:21 PMHe's just feeling butt-hurt that he didn't do his research earlier and since he can't get his money back in the traditional sense, he wants to make his manhood feel better by ripping someone else off.
Well, lets not jump there yet.  His being upset is understandable, and is most likely just venting.   :wink:

FiftyQuid

Being new around here, I have a bit of a different view of people getting butt-hurt on purchases.  I still have a lot to learn in regards to this new hobby of mine, but I gotta say I think this forum is pretty tough on people selling/buying pretty much anything on eBay.  I can understand if they got a copy free here and then turned around and sold it on eBay, and I can even understand your hatred (for the lack of a better word) on people overpaying, and driving the prices up for some of your beloved games.  I just find it pretentious that there's a thread about it here.  I get why this thread exists, and I've learn from it, I just think there's a better way to go about this as a community.

I'm sure I've opened myself up to a post-whipping so give me your best.
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

PikachuWarrior

I agree, the topic does seem a little self-righteous and only brings to light a problem that many may have not realized existed, but it's here now lol.
IMG

VestCunt

Anyone remember his first post?
Quote from: kamiboy on 04/10/2012, 09:29 PMI have this crazy dream of owning a mint Turbo Duo, but the eBay cartel thinks differently. They think I need to pay them an absurd sum for the privilege.
Will you help me stick it to them, stick it to them good? Then let us talk.
Six weeks later he's gouging.

Also consider:
QuoteI don't worry about being able to sell it or not I am not exactly poor.
So the guy with enough disposable income to spend $1,000 on two Duo's in a thirty day period first thought he'd see if we'd hook him up with a sweet deal... and he asked by appealing to our sympathy for a new buyer in an unfair marketplace.
Topic Adjourned.

NecroPhile

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 05/23/2012, 01:48 PMI'm sure I've opened myself up to a post-whipping so give me your best.
You're not worth the effort.  If you, storino, or anyone else don't care for this thread, then stay the fuck out.

FiftyQuid

Quote from: guest on 05/23/2012, 01:57 PMYou're not worth the effort.  If you, storino, or anyone else don't care for this thread, then stay the fuck out.
We have a new record.  Thanks NecroPhile.

VestCunt

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 05/23/2012, 01:48 PMI just find it pretentious that there's a thread about it here.  I get why this thread exists, and I've learn from it, I just think there's a better way to go about this as a community.
People talk about the "community" as if we're some kind of hive mind. We're not.

If you want to go start a "Maximizing-Your-Profits-on-Ebay!" thread, knock yourself out.
Topic Adjourned.

FiftyQuid

Quote from: guest on 05/23/2012, 02:15 PMPeople talk about the "community" as if we're some kind of hive mind. We're not.

If you want to go start a "Maximizing-Your-Profits-on-Ebay!" thread, knock yourself out.
It's not about that.  I'm just brought it up because pcenginefx is "thee" community for TG-16 is it not?  I just figured the community would want to see different views of it.

I was wrong.  Please continue as if I was never here.   :D

PikachuWarrior

I wouldn't be posting in it if I didn't feel otherwise. But nice try.
IMG

VestCunt

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 05/23/2012, 02:18 PMI just figured the community would want to see different views of it.
Dude, there is no community. I don't want to hear about gouging sympathy on these boards, but you obviously do. So grow a pair, start your own thread, and see if you attract different views or like-minded individuals.
Topic Adjourned.

JoshTurboTrollX

Just the remember the place for a 'Maximizing-Your-Profits-on-Ebay' thread is in fighting street.  :P
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

csgx1

Quote from: kamiboy on 05/23/2012, 10:39 AMYou guys sure like your drama. It is on eBay too by the way, for a whopping 100 CAD more BIN.
Come on now, why advertise/label this as "new" when it's far from new, "...this item has not seen any use beyond the few moments it took to remove it from its packaging and verify functionality..."   Why even say it's "new" at all?

Sorry to say, but any way you try to spin it, that duo is opened, played, and missing items which means it's used. 

This pisses me off when I see sellers use terms such as "new", "mint", "rare", etc. so damn loosely.  Some people need to read a dictionary.

I got some "like new" underwear for sale! Only test fitted for not more than a few moments to verify functionality and proper crotch fitment.  Though it might have some skid markings after being sent through customs.  Rest assure, the underwear is good as "NEW"!!!! :twisted:

Opethian

csgx1: my sentiments exactly! price was not the gripe here but the misuse of the term "new". With out without the quotes the product is as far from new as it gets.
IMG

PikachuWarrior

a more proper condition would have been like new, because that's what the pictures suggest. Don't buy stuff on warehouse deals on amazon, because they have a tendency to list the condition of items wrong, in some cases "very good" would mean the item is still sealed with slight packaging damage, and in other cases, well, you know :P
IMG

VestCunt

Back to kami, let's consider his honesty:

1) He was scamming for a free system. Kami knew he wasn't getting a new console and played stupid hoping he could turn the seller's error into a free Duo. Don't get me wrong - sellers deserve to have their feet held to the fire when they list things inaccurately, but no reasonable person would have looked at those four pictures with the aftermarket PSU and the MIA pack-in games and still been fooled by the "new" condition in the drop-down menu.
2) The console scratches he was arguing about with the German seller aren't mentioned in his re-sale listing.
3) He has no qualms about violating ebay's policies. The only reason he got "screwed" is because he asked the seller to lie on the customs form.
4) The guy with $1,000 for two new Duo's wants us to believe he doesn't own a camera.
Topic Adjourned.

kamiboy

Quote from: Bernie on 05/23/2012, 01:01 PMkami, while I do understand you feel that you got screwed, I really don't see it that way.  The pics in the auction clearly showed a VERY nice looking system, but was clearly not new.  If you aren't willing to keep it, hell, just throw it on eBay at a true auction and not some BIN price.  We all get burned from time to time, so chin up and move on.  :)  You stated that you aren't exactly poor, well that's great.  :)  So, go get a digital cam man.  They arent that high anymore, hell they are actually kinda cheap now.  Take some nice pics of the system, and post em.  While I am sure the Duo will sell, I am positive you will lose money on it.  So, basically either eat it, or let it go to get some of your money back.   :mrgreen:

Unfortunately, if you try to let it go for more than you paid for it, or even close to it, then it won't be in your favor in the forums.  It's how it is.  We basically let things go here for decent prices, and even given away sometimes.  That's the purpose of having your forum pals.   :mrgreen:  You paid a little more than you should have for that Duo, soo....you options are kinda limited here, aside from just keeping it. 
Look Bernie, you are one of a handful of nice guys here so I'll level with you. Either I sell that Duo with no more that 50 CAD loss to me or I'll keep it for myself.

Saves me trouble of getting a work horse CD system down the line.

Everyone else, according to ebay guidelines filing items under "new other" is fine for opened items with some content missing as long as it is followed by an explanation in the description but split those hairs if you please.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 05/23/2012, 03:08 PMBack to kami, let's consider his honesty:

1) He was scamming for a free system. Kami knew he wasn't getting a new console and played stupid hoping he could turn the seller's error into a free Duo. Don't get me wrong - sellers deserve to have their feet held to the fire when they list things inaccurately, but no reasonable person would have looked at those four pictures with the aftermarket PSU and the MIA pack-in games and still been fooled by the "new" condition in the drop-down menu.
It's a varying definition of "new". TZD was selling "new" Duo's with aftermarket power supplies, converted turbografx controllers, aftermarket AV cables and all the games removed as they had parted out all those components prior to that and had replaced them with aftermarket but functional parts in the original box with the unused system.
--DragonmasterDan

PikachuWarrior

so why don't you own a good camera? even my cell phone would take the necessary photos. I hope the original seller sees this topic and what you're doing.
IMG

NecroPhile

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 05/23/2012, 03:14 PMIt's a varying definition of "new". TZD was selling "new" Duo's with aftermarket power supplies, converted turbografx controllers, aftermarket AV cables and all the games removed as they had parted out all those components prior to that and had replaced them with aftermarket but functional parts in the original box with the unused system.
But all parts were still new.  In this clown's case, nothing is new and unused.

VestCunt

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 05/23/2012, 03:14 PMIt's a varying definition of "new". TZD was selling "new" Duo's with aftermarket power supplies, converted turbografx controllers, aftermarket AV cables and all the games removed as they had parted out all those components prior to that and had replaced them with aftermarket but functional parts in the original box with the unused system.
The point is he was scamming for a free system. Buying that auction and then saying "What? The pack-in games aren't included?!? :cry:" is a bunch of BS. The unwritten rule of ebay is "what you see is what you get" unless the description explicitly states otherwise.
Topic Adjourned.

OldRover

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 05/23/2012, 01:48 PM...but I gotta say I think this forum is pretty tough on people selling/buying pretty much anything on eBay.
Yep... and the reason being is because eBay sellers have artificially inflated the value of everything, meaning legit gamers are having a much harder time acquiring games and hardware. If this $600 scamjob isn't a shining example of that, I don't know what is. People have every right to be pissed, and they're gonna talk about it. If you don't like it, then that's your problem, not anyone else's. You'll see no sympathy for scammers from the legit people here.

NecroPhile

And it's not just bitching about eBay in general.  The vast majority of us buy fairly priced stuff on eBay on a regular basis, and there's a few guys that sell stuff there too; the difference is that we don't go for overpriced BS buy-it-nows.

FiftyQuid

Man you guys are touchy.  This is exactly what I was talking about.  I've learned my lesson though.  There is no community here and you guys don't give two shits what I think.  Fair enough.

PikachuWarrior

People just don't care in the confines of this topic and what it represents to everyone. All other places of the site, everyone is nice enough! :)
IMG

OldRover

Touchy?

...fuck yeah. When it comes to scammers... you'd better believe it. There's no tolerance for that shit around here.

NecroPhile

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 05/23/2012, 04:37 PMMan you guys are touchy.  This is exactly what I was talking about.  I've learned my lesson though.  There is no community here and you guys don't give two shits what I think.  Fair enough.
I'm honestly unsure what you're on about, but let's have at it anyway since you obviously don't want to move on:

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 05/23/2012, 01:48 PMBeing new around here, I have a bit of a different view of people getting butt-hurt on purchases.
Thanks for the condescension.  I guess it's okay for you to look down your nose at us whiners, yet it's not okay for us to look down on price gouging.

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 05/23/2012, 01:48 PMI still have a lot to learn in regards to this new hobby of mine, but I gotta say I think this forum is pretty tough on people selling/buying pretty much anything on eBay.
Wrong.  It's not hard to find many, many instances where members have bought/sold goods on eBay without reproach from the community.  If you try to take advantage of people, we'll speak our minds; if you offer a fair and honest deal, nobody will give a hoot.

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 05/23/2012, 01:48 PMI can understand if they got a copy free here and then turned around and sold it on eBay, and I can even understand your hatred (for the lack of a better word) on people overpaying, and driving the prices up for some of your beloved games.  I just find it pretentious that there's a thread about it here.
More hypocritical pomposity.  Good for you.

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 05/23/2012, 01:48 PMI get why this thread exists.....
I don't think you do.

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 05/23/2012, 01:48 PM..... and I've learn from it, I just think there's a better way to go about this as a community.
Such as?  I see two viable options re: gouging - 1. point out and mock the worst gougers here for the lulz, and 2. keep our mouths shut.  I'm not interested in ignoring the issue, so I suggest you join the others that dislike this thread and simply don't read it.

I really don't get what you mean by 'the community doesn't care what I think'.  What do you think other than that this thread shouldn't exist?  There's really nothing to discuss when one takes such a contrary stance, so for what kind of response were you hoping?

VestCunt

First, the attitude of myself and some of the other members shouldn't come as a surprise. Hating gougers is par for the course at many other gaming forums.

Second, half the reason we're ragging on you is because you're off topic. You'll seriously get a better response if you start your own thread. Telling people in the gouging thread that it's a negative waste of time is like an atheist going into a mosque and arguing about God.

Third, the asshole phenomenon didn't spring out of nowhere. It's a symptom of years and years of watching the games we love skyrocket in price while an endless parade of resellers cycle through. If Kami's gouging or your sympathizing were first-time occurrences, then yeah, our retaliation would be a bit harsh. The truth is, NecroPhile tells sympathizing noobs to stay on topic or get the fuck out of this thread every two weeks. Don't take it personally.

The lifespan of a PCEFX reseller:
1) Noob intro, typically in a WTB thread.
2) Claims to be a collector, but doesn't know what anything is worth, or which CD setup to buy.
3) Asks for help fixing shit.
4) Asks for help in the form of appraisals.
5) Asks for help completing U.S. collection.
6) Asks for help getting good deals.
7) Demands CIB games.
8 ) Impatient, overpays for crap on ebay, writes down amounts paid.
9) Decides to sell TG items to get out of debt or collect something else.
10) Has an "asshole fucked me over sale". Bases prices on amounts originally paid, not reality. (Kami even said that the only reason he bid so high was that he thought the Duo was new, yet when it comes time to sell...)
11) Defends gouging prices. Accuses the community that helped in stages #3-6 of suddenly becoming assholes.

Edited: additions and spelling.
Topic Adjourned.

nectarsis

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 05/23/2012, 04:37 PMMan you guys are touchy.  This is exactly what I was talking about.  I've learned my lesson though.  There is no community here and you guys don't give two shits what I think.  Fair enough.
I LOVE this constant (more, and more these days) "there is no community here" drivel spouted by the obvious asshats.  This place has ALWAYS been a smaller/more tight knit community than a majority of other forums.....and LONG before many of these whiners found it.   It's also a lot of the same "you guys hate EVERYTHING about/from Ebay", etc, etc....even when shown not to be true. 

Like has been stated multiple times...you don't like a thread...don't read it, or say your piece and move on.  This constant post many times in a thread you don't like/agree with is just tired....bitching just to bitch.
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

PikachuWarrior

We need to keep these people in line. It's a natural cycle. One comes and goes, another takes his/her place.
IMG

Sparky

Quote from: VestCunt on 05/23/2012, 06:17 PMFirst, the attitude of myself and some of the other members shouldn't come as a surprise. Hating gougers is par for the course at many other gaming forums.

Second, half the reason we're ragging on you is because you're off topic. You'll seriously get a better response if you start your own thread. Telling people in the gouging thread that it's a negative waste of time is like an atheist going into a masque and arguing about God.

Third, the asshole phenomena didn't spring out of nowhere. It's a symptom of years and years of watching the games we love skyrocket in price while an endless parade of resellers cycle through. If Kami's gouging or your sympathizing were first-time occurrences, then yeah, our retaliation would be a bit harsh. The truth is, NecroPhile tells sympathizing noobs to stay on topic or get the fuck out of this thread every two weeks. Don't take it personally.

The standard lifespan of a reseller:
1) Noob intro, typically in a WTB thread.
2) Claims to be a collector, but doesn't know what anything is worth.
3) Asks for help in the form of appraisal requests.
4) Asks for help completing U.S. collection.
5) Asks for help getting good deals.
6) Demands CIB games.
7) Impatient, overpays for crap on ebay, writes down amounts paid.
8 ) Decides to sell TG items to get out of debt or collect something else.
9) Has an "asshole fucked me over sale". Bases prices on amounts originally paid, not reality. (Kami even said that the only reason he bid so high was that he thought the Duo was new, yet when it comes time to sell...)
10) Defends gouging prices. Accuses the community that helped him in stages #3-6 of suddenly becoming assholes.
I am busy as hell at work today and wanted to jump in, so let me just say this is well said, We should post and sticky that top ten somewhere so its always handy :)
This place is really easy going and a great community, people that get this communities back up are the problem, and we will rid that problem one asshole at a time :P