Turbo Gouging on Ebay ( r.i.p. - gouging much )

Started by NecroPhile, 08/03/2010, 04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geise

I would personally like to hear what CAS has to say.  :lol:

VestCunt

Quote from: guest on 05/23/2012, 08:57 PMso let me just say this is well said, We should post and sticky that top ten somewhere so its always handy :)
Thanks.  Too bad I misspelled mosque.
Topic Adjourned.

bartre

yeah, gotta agree with vestcunt, wish i was that eloquent.
in short, i've been coming here for a while (not nearly as long as most) and i've seen loads of people come and go, very few stick around after the initial "waah, i overpaid, you should pay what i did so i don't feel bad."
it's this kind of crap that has affected retro gaming as a whole, not just our beloved turbob.
I bought super metroid about 2 years ago for $10 at a local shop, now the same place wants $28, claiming that it's the going rate because of ebay.

kakutolives

I just dont understand how people are ok with gouging period. Seriously nobody likes getting their wallets raped, so why defend it? to reserve yourself the right to rip someone off in the future? that is horrible and
It should be no real surprise if this community does not take a liking to those that just thrive to profit off the unsuspecting.

:/

maybe im just too stupid to understand.

Quote from: bartre on 05/23/2012, 10:12 PMyeah, gotta agree with vestcunt, wish i was that eloquent.
in short, i've been coming here for a while (not nearly as long as most) and i've seen loads of people come and go, very few stick around after the initial "waah, i overpaid, you should pay what i did so i don't feel bad."
it's this kind of crap that has affected retro gaming as a whole, not just our beloved turbob.
I bought super metroid about 2 years ago for $10 at a local shop, now the same place wants $28, claiming that it's the going rate because of ebay.
my local gameshop has jacked their prices in the last 2 years as well. :(
Good Sellers (in my experience)
Samurai Ghost, Keith Courage, Bernie, tggodfrey, bartre (hoping to add more to this list soon)

People who are just plain Awesome:
BlueBMW (to this day i thank you for hooking me up with Sapphire and getting me started with collecting PCE games)

Bernie

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 05/23/2012, 04:37 PMMan you guys are touchy.  This is exactly what I was talking about.  I've learned my lesson though.  There is no community here and you guys don't give two shits what I think.  Fair enough.
Dude..  you cannot and MUST not judge the community on the eBay gouging thread.  This is where the anger resides, this is where sparks fly often.  Judge the community by the other threads.  The ones showing you how to fix your dead systems, the ones with the raffle give away deals.  So much more to choose from, why would anyone choose this thread to form their opinion?  That makes no sense at all.  All I can say is, if you decide to leave because this thread is what it is, then that is your loss fella.  And a big loss if you love the turbo.   :wink:

FiftyQuid

Thanks Bernie.  I appreciate your post.

To get this thread back on subject I'll add some fuel to the fire.  Here's one I came across today.  Don't forget to add $10 for shipping  ](*,)

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Legend-Hero-Tonma-TurboGrafx-16-1993-Super-Rare-Complete-Super-Condition-/280883140290?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item4165f096c2#ht_500wt_1219
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

Tatsujin

I think this community should always be judged by our fighting street. fair enuff!  :P
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

roflmao

Tatsujin

Good as new, unused, minty

I can clearly see that the box alone is anything else than minty. or does it mean pepperminty?
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Bernie

Tatsujin

I've thought the storm was already raging through the past 5 pages? :P

NecroPhile

Quote from: guest on 05/24/2012, 09:29 AMhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/NEC-Turbo-Duo-Black-Good-as-new-unused-minty-/160807818918?pt=Video_Games&hash=item2570e496a6#ht_500wt_1294

You had to know someone here would notice this. Apparently kamiboy has relisted his "Good as new" Duo.  :lol:
Kamiboy himself already said he put it up on eBay.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

roflmao

Quote from: guest on 05/24/2012, 10:07 AMKamiboy himself already said he put it up on eBay.
Ah, I must have missed that. :oops:

Bernie

I just woke up, lol..  Little slow to think.  :)

Tatsujin

but did he also say that he will put it up on ebay as "Good as new, unused, minty"?

NecroPhile

Quote from: Tatsujin on 05/24/2012, 10:11 AMbut did he also say that he will put it up on ebay as "Good as new, unused, minty"?
He did say something about it being okay under eBay's "new - other" classification, but I'd say he's wrong due to it not being unused.  Here's eBay's description of "new - other":

QuoteA new, unused item with absolutely no signs of wear. The item may be missing the original packaging, or in the original packaging but not sealed. The item may be a factory second or a new, unused item with defects. See the seller's listing for full details and description of any imperfections.

bartre

he also listed it on neo-geo and racketboy, that i've seen.
NG tore it up like we did, but for some reason racketboy seemed accepting.
I think they're too nice over there, but it really is a great community.

CrackTiger

That Other description still doesn't include an item that has been used as falling under unused. It may only have been used a little by kamiboy, the seller who sold to him and all the other people who have had it over the years, but the furthest the dscription should be stretched is "doesn't seem to have been used much other than the little bit which I used it for".
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

PikachuWarrior

he listed three separate conditions. good, as new (which is like new), and unused, which means it's practically new, but opened to check contents, and not played with. Same with an item being mint.
IMG

jperryss

Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 05/24/2012, 11:53 AMhe listed three separate conditions. good, as new (which is like new), and unused, which means it's practically new, but opened to check contents, and not played with. Same with an item being mint.
85% new?

PikachuWarrior

IMG

NecroPhile

xcrement5x

Quote from: jperryss on 05/24/2012, 12:22 PM85% new?
This is what I've been waiting for while reading the last 5 pages, thank you for coming through!
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

VestCunt

Topic Adjourned.

NecroPhile

Dear Lord!  There's so much yellow it looks like they painted it.  :|

420GOAT

holy smokes. was that shit in a bbq smoker?
I want to be more like 337.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the fucking car.

Bernie

jlued686

I had a SNES that looked like someone pissed all over it. Like Bernie said, a lot of those old consoles did that. That PC-FX is pretty bad, though. They usually don't look quite that bad.

Opethian

IMG

420GOAT

I want to be more like 337.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the fucking car.

Opethian

IMG

Bernie

Quote from: 420GOAT on 05/25/2012, 02:48 PMid paint the whole thing black,.....anyone know whats wrong with this card?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Parasol-Stars-Turbo-Graphx-16-DEFECTIVE-read-/320729712329?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item4aacfb06c9#ht_1404wt_648
Quote from: Opethian on 05/25/2012, 02:55 PMcontacts maybe dirty/damaged
Could be just that it needs a good cleaning.  However, I would think for a loose version that has issues, they wouldnt try selling it for 18.00.  Not a lot no, BUT still more than what I am willing to pay for something that could be defective instead of just dirty.

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: Bernie on 05/25/2012, 03:49 PM
Quote from: 420GOAT on 05/25/2012, 02:48 PMid paint the whole thing black,.....anyone know whats wrong with this card?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Parasol-Stars-Turbo-Graphx-16-DEFECTIVE-read-/320729712329?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item4aacfb06c9#ht_1404wt_648
Quote from: Opethian on 05/25/2012, 02:55 PMcontacts maybe dirty/damaged
Could be just that it needs a good cleaning.  However, I would think for a loose version that has issues, they wouldnt try selling it for 18.00.  Not a lot no, BUT still more than what I am willing to pay for something that could be defective instead of just dirty.
Considering I got mine from Amazon for $20 loose yeah I said this is a little too much for a defective product.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guest on 05/25/2012, 02:20 PMI had a SNES that looked like someone pissed all over it. Like Bernie said, a lot of those old consoles did that. That PC-FX is pretty bad, though. They usually don't look quite that bad.
I've never personally known anyone to keep their FX anywhere but inside its cardboard packaging for more than a few hours every few years. This probably keeps them from yellowing like a SNES.
IMG

NecroPhile

The only thing epic about this collection is the number of photos taken.  It's a nice collection, filled with goodies, but it ain't worth no $3800.  Collection includes:

Hardware: a pair of TG-16s, TurboExpress (boxed), TurboBooster+ (boxed), 'Express AC Adapter (boxed), huey converter, TurboPad (boxed), TurboTap (boxed), and loose pairs of TurboPads and TurboTaps.

Boxed TG Games: Aeroblasters, Air Zonk, Alien Crush, Bloody Wolf, Bomberman '93, Bonk's Adventure, Bonk 3, Bravoman, Chew Man Fu, Devil's Crush, Dungeon Explorer, Falcon, Fantasy Zone, Final Lap Twin, Gunboat, Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu, Klax, Legendary Axe, Military Madness, Neutopia II, New Adventure Island, Ninja Spirit, Parasol Stars, R-Type, Shockman, Silent Debuggers, Soldier Blade, Sommer Assault, Tricky Kick, Victory Run, World Sports Competition

Cased TG Games: Battle Royale, Blazing Lazers, Bonk's Revenge, Boxy Boy, Cybercore, Galaga '90, Ghost Manor (huey only), JJ & Jeff, Keith Courage, Legendary Axe 2, Order of the Griffon, Ordyne, Power Golf, Psychosis, Sonic Spike, Space Harrier, Splatterhouse, Super Star Soldier (no case), Talespin, Turrican, TV Sports Basketball (no case), TV Sports Football, World Class Baseball

Cased PCE Games: Altered Beast, Bomberman '94, Darius Plus, Download, Image Fight, Parodius, Street Fighter II, Thunderblade, Yu Yu Hakusho

SMF

Quote from: guest on 05/25/2012, 06:33 PMThe only thing epic about this collection is the number of photos taken.  It's a nice collection, filled with goodies, but it ain't worth no $3800.  Collection includes:

Hardware: a pair of TG-16s, TurboExpress (boxed), TurboBooster+ (boxed), 'Express AC Adapter (boxed), huey converter, TurboPad (boxed), TurboTap (boxed), and loose pairs of TurboPads and TurboTaps.

Boxed TG Games: Aeroblasters, Air Zonk, Alien Crush, Bloody Wolf, Bomberman '93, Bonk's Adventure, Bonk 3, Bravoman, Chew Man Fu, Devil's Crush, Dungeon Explorer, Falcon, Fantasy Zone, Final Lap Twin, Gunboat, Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu, Klax, Legendary Axe, Military Madness, Neutopia II, New Adventure Island, Ninja Spirit, Parasol Stars, R-Type, Shockman, Silent Debuggers, Soldier Blade, Sommer Assault, Tricky Kick, Victory Run, World Sports Competition

Cased TG Games: Battle Royale, Blazing Lazers, Bonk's Revenge, Boxy Boy, Cybercore, Galaga '90, Ghost Manor (huey only), JJ & Jeff, Keith Courage, Legendary Axe 2, Order of the Griffon, Ordyne, Power Golf, Psychosis, Sonic Spike, Space Harrier, Splatterhouse, Super Star Soldier (no case), Talespin, Turrican, TV Sports Basketball (no case), TV Sports Football, World Class Baseball

Cased PCE Games: Altered Beast, Bomberman '94, Darius Plus, Download, Image Fight, Parodius, Street Fighter II, Thunderblade, Yu Yu Hakusho
I bid $1 Bob...........
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

Sadler

I actually offered him a fair amount, $1000. Despite my claims to the contrary, I wouldn't mind having boxes for some of those games, and I don't have Soldier Blade and some of the hardware. I even offered him $150 for just Soldier Blade. Anyway, seems like a nice enough guy, if misguided. Here was his response:

QuoteDear [redacted],

I really appreciate the offer on the tg16 lot. I have come to find out that I am asking a bit much and might reduce it to $2800 asking, but I have received numerous offers for well over $2000 and yours is the lowest i'm sorry to say. Soldier blade also has an offer of $300 and $250 from people so that game wouldn't work either for you. I just wanted to let you know.

jperryss

Quote from: Sadler on 05/25/2012, 07:33 PMHere was his response:
Surprisingly reasonable.

Still can't believe I'm seeing $200+ for Soldier Blade though.

NightWolve

You should know that they can permanently break and cleaning the contacts is no guarantee it'll work 100% after that... When I first opened up my new Turbo Express in 1993 and plugged in "Bloody Wolf," I could feel how tight the contact pins within the unit were because I had to push the card in pretty hard, and then pulling it back out wasn't easy either. But the game didn't load, so I would pull it out, maybe clean it and try it again, still no dice. Then I tried another game and that worked, but when I went to try "Bloody Wolf" on my TG-16, same thing, it no longer worked at all! That's when I realized my fiddling around with factory tight contact pins had destroyed the HuCard for good... :(

Quote from: guest on 05/25/2012, 06:33 PMThe only thing epic about this collection is the number of photos taken.  It's a nice collection, filled with goodies, but it ain't worth no $3800.  Collection includes:
Pfffft. These f'ing guys think that they got a pot of gold now... I should send him my patented $5 offer.

Sadler

Quote from: jperryss on 05/25/2012, 07:35 PM
Quote from: Sadler on 05/25/2012, 07:33 PMHere was his response:
Surprisingly reasonable.

Still can't believe I'm seeing $200+ for Soldier Blade though.
He really seems like a good guy. I let him know about this thread, he said he was trying to sign up for an account to respond. He also asked that I post this, so here you go:

QuoteHaha, thanks for informing me. I went and found that thread. I didn't even know a site like that existed. I find it funny to be featured that way and a little flattering. Go ahead and keep my comments. I have tried to register to say something myself, but if you want you can pass along the message that I am an experienced seller with his own online store, but not so much with tg 16 and the market data is scarce so that's why I put it up as a large lot with offer ability. I'm not stone cold about getting $3800 that's just pie in the sky eccentric rich collector price from the data I could get on the games and hardware. However consistent offers in the $2000-2500 range have shown me that is most likely the sweet spot for pricing and i'm going to change the asking price to reflect that after I wait to see if a deal i'm working on privately will work.
$2K-2500 is too much given what I'd like out of the lot, but it's way more reasonable than $3800.

Bernie

The guy seems really down Earth.  I got a nice response from him too.  Seems he really didnt know the exact worth of some of this stuff, and is easy to work with.  I let him know if he decided to break it up, I would certainly be game for a lot of the games he had.  Hopefully he will get accepted in here before he breaks it up on eBay, so we can get some good stuffs.  :)  Either way, a lot of common games to some good ones I'd love to have.  I let him know that most of us dont have the money to drop all at once on a big collection, and that it MAY be easier for him if broken up.

NightWolve

Is it me or are you guys going soft on gouging all of a sudden with the "Wow, he seems to be a REALLY REALLY nice guy! So down to earth, man, I've never met anyone quite like him..." ??? Heh-heh. Reminder: Right out of the batter's box, he wanted almost $4000!!! He's someone that's already well aware of how eBay has driven up the prices of NEC games/systems and wanted to take FULL advantage of that! Being nice and considering taking off about a thousand doesn't impress me all that much...

QuoteSorry nlivadit, baldguyvideogames has turned down your offer of US $5.00. Make another offer before the item ends.
:(  :(  :(

OK, so, you guys play the good cop, and I'll play the bad cop, how's that ? ;)

Mathius

At this point I don't think if even "nice guy" seller here asked a reasonable $800 for everything it make any difference in the long run. Some fool eBay gouger would snatch it right up, throw everything in dust covers, and ask $10k. I am just sitting back and waiting on this bubble to burst (which it will). That's our only hope at this point. If there are any eBay store owners out there who are only out for teh monies and are reading this? ....."Thanks for ruining everything assholes!"  :evil:

bartre

Quote from: Mathius on 05/25/2012, 11:13 PMI am just sitting back and waiting on this bubble to burst (which it will)
either that or the TG will end up like the neo geo, pretty much only collected by the super hardcore who have loads of money for games.
realistically, i'm doing the same, i've bought exactly 1 game for the turbo since march, and that was ninja ryukenden (thanks again samurai ghost)

SMF

I honestly dont think the bubble will burst, We are at a point now where we wanna show our kids what we played growing up and wanna share the joy with them. Im just glad i was enjoying the Turbo when it came out in its heyday and loving everything about it.

The rare games are gonna be rare 20 years from now, I dont see how a game like Dynastic Hero is gonna come down to $30 after it tops out at say $400. Reason being look at the rare NES games hell Genesis has a few rare ones. Those sell for top dollar to people that think video games are the new age stocks and bonds.

Baseball cards are not what they once was, But if you have a MJ Rookie card youll still get top dollar for it, Same thing with Comic books. Action Comic goes for over a million. I hate to say it but 20 years from now we might be saying DAM I WISH I GRABBED MAGICAL CHASE WHEN IT WAS $1000. Now it sells for $6000 lol.
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

PikachuWarrior

That's with any collectible. Nothing lasts forever. Components break down, items get lost, damaged in a fire/flood/disaster, natural occurrences happen in other words, which drives up the remaining stock further up to meet any demand that may come its way.

So put all your TG/CD/PCE games in an ice vault or someplace deep in a mountain for safe keeping!
IMG

Bernie

Quote from: NightWolve on 05/25/2012, 10:05 PMIs it me or are you guys going soft on gouging all of a sudden with the "Wow, he seems to be a REALLY REALLY nice guy! So down to earth, man, I've never met anyone quite like him..." ??? Heh-heh. Reminder: Right out of the batter's box, he wanted almost $4000!!! He's someone that's already well aware of how eBay has driven up the prices of NEC games/systems and wanted to take FULL advantage of that! Being nice and considering taking off about a thousand doesn't impress me all that much...

QuoteSorry nlivadit, baldguyvideogames has turned down your offer of US $5.00. Make another offer before the item ends.
:(  :(  :(

OK, so, you guys play the good cop, and I'll play the bad cop, how's that ? ;)
lol.  I do see your point.  However, in my last email from him.  He basically told me he has no knowledge of Turbo anything, and had used his only resource available to price it, which happened to be eBay.  ugh.. So, according to him, he was gouging without intent basically.   :mrgreen:  I guess we will see in the long run how that turns out.  I think we appear soft, due to the responses we are getting from him.  He appears very open to input and suggestions thus far.

CrackTiger

Quote from: NecroPhile on 05/25/2012, 06:33 PMThe only thing epic about this collection is the number of photos taken.  It's a nice collection, filled with goodies, but it ain't worth no $3800.  Collection includes:

Hardware: a pair of TG-16s, TurboExpress (boxed), TurboBooster+ (boxed), 'Express AC Adapter
(boxed), huey converter, TurboPad (boxed), TurboTap (boxed), and loose pairs of TurboPads and TurboTaps.

Not including more of a discount for such a large lot, I added it up to around $1200.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Mathius

Quote from: SMF on 05/26/2012, 03:31 AMI honestly dont think the bubble will burst, We are at a point now where we wanna show our kids what we played growing up and wanna share the joy with them. Im just glad i was enjoying the Turbo when it came out in its heyday and loving everything about it.

The rare games are gonna be rare 20 years from now, I dont see how a game like Dynastic Hero is gonna come down to $30 after it tops out at say $400. Reason being look at the rare NES games hell Genesis has a few rare ones. Those sell for top dollar to people that think video games are the new age stocks and bonds.

Baseball cards are not what they once was, But if you have a MJ Rookie card youll still get top dollar for it, Same thing with Comic books. Action Comic goes for over a million. I hate to say it but 20 years from now we might be saying DAM I WISH I GRABBED MAGICAL CHASE WHEN IT WAS $1000. Now it sells for $6000 lol.
I see what you are saying. I believe though that the crowd is going to begin to thin out in a few years with demand for these games going down with them. Sure I don't see Magical Chase being affordable again, but I don't see going and staying at a ludicrous price points.

There are two types of retro gamer around at this point. The guy feeling nostalgic for his old consoles, for his youth, and starts to collect. Then there are the truly hardcore (for lack of a better term) who have a true passion for older consoles and games. It is the latter that I see remaining after those who just want to return their youth get their fill. Again, I don't see Dynastic Hero going into the proverbial bargain bin, but demand will fall eventually when the communities shake off all their excess weight.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Mathius on 05/26/2012, 10:40 AM
Quote from: SMF on 05/26/2012, 03:31 AMI honestly dont think the bubble will burst, We are at a point now where we wanna show our kids what we played growing up and wanna share the joy with them. Im just glad i was enjoying the Turbo when it came out in its heyday and loving everything about it.

I see what you are saying. I believe though that the crowd is going to begin to thin out in a few years with demand for these games going down with them. Sure I don't see Magical Chase being affordable again, but I don't see going and staying at a ludicrous price points.

There are two types of retro gamer around at this point. The guy feeling nostalgic for his old consoles, for his youth, and starts to collect. Then there are the truly hardcore (for lack of a better term) who have a true passion for older consoles and games. It is the latter that I see remaining after those who just want to return their youth get their fill. Again, I don't see Dynastic Hero going into the proverbial bargain bin, but demand will fall eventually when the communities shake off all their excess weight.
Keep in mind that this isn't a natural or stable market, where prices gradually built up to regular levels. There continues to be two extremes in high and low BIN listings and auctions for supposedly expensive games continue to end at low or reasonable prices. The people actively manipulating the market to reap as much profit as they can as fast as they can before it crashes, purposely avoid listing auctions because of this. If these games truly are as genuinely valuable as those who only pay attention to high asking prices think, then why doesn't every seller only do auctions and then also start them at only 99 cents?