RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

MSR *WILL* be finished, come hell or high water... hell more likely.

Started by OldRover, 08/16/2011, 05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

esteban

IMG Hany says, "So, nothing has changed since I was here last."
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Keranu

Hurray, some good news at last!

"Hi Keelan,

Replication has informed me that they were able to get a stamper. However, they have recommended that a check disc be sent. The cost for the check disc is normally $195 but because of the issues at hand we are bring the amount down to $150. The other option would be to wave the check disc and proceed by agreeing to the waiver below.

Here is what the replication department sent me.

Looks like the stamper was able to be made!
But.....we are highly recommending that we make a check disc for the stamper and send it out for review.
If choose not to do the check disc, we would require a waiver noting that you understand the master is not to industry spec and may not play correctly in all players. Advise how you wish to go forward.
Thanks!"

The check disc sounds like a gimmick to suck a few more bucks out of us. I wouldn't mind paying for it if we really need it, what do you all think?

Also I'm a little disappointed they didn't mention what the problem was with the masters... apparently they don't need new ones either.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

TheClash603

Check disc is better than pressing and failing?

I am a worrier though.

Sadler

Quote from: TheClash603 on 07/06/2012, 08:08 PMCheck disc is better than pressing and failing?

I am a worrier though.
I tend to agree. I doubt there are any issues, but after what you've been through I wouldn't want to leave any room for error. I'm willing to cover the cost of the check disc, PM me.

OldMan

QuoteI wouldn't mind paying for it if we really need it, what do you all think?
Tough Call.
However,

Quoteyou understand the master is not to industry spec and may not play correctly in all players
Isn't that what we've been telling them all along?

I still don't understand what is not to spec, though....

Mishran

What exactly do they mean by "check disc"? They gonna replicate one single disc and send it to ya for review? Seems pricey... Unless they've made some massive change to their stamper/software, I see no reason why there would be a problem since Insanity was created with no issues. Sounds like a money scheme to me. If a check disc isn't done, everyone who has dished out money for preorders have to have a say and understand that they would be losing their dough if replication fails.

JoshTurboTrollX

I'll donate an extra $10 if it'll help!!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Mathius

Did Ark get a "check disc" made for Insanity?

Keranu

Quote from: Mathius on 07/06/2012, 10:18 PMDid Ark get a "check disc" made for Insanity?
That's what I'd like to know as well. I assume if our masters work, then the replications would likely work.

We should have enough funds from pre-orders to cover the cost for a check disc, but people are welcome to donate extra.

I don't know how long it will Nationwide to create a test disc; if we go ahead without one, the game would be released by the end of this month, so probably an August release if we take the safe route.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

I didn't get a check disc.

I wonder if reviewing the Insanity project sparked some sort of tidbit of information needed for them to continue onward.

My guess is it's not to "industry spec" because they are still treating it like its an audio CD.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

MottZilla

I'd think you should have them send this "check disc" just to be safe. It may take longer and cost a bit more money, but better that than to get a pile of useless CD-ROMs. Sucks to have to delay things but sometimes that is just how it goes.

_Paul

Get the check disc.

Then put in on ebay for $400 as a RAER Prototype.

Bernie

It would certainly sell.

shubibiman

Have you thought of sending them a copy of Insanity so they can compare and see that they've already been able to press a PCE game?
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

termis

Quote from: Keranu on 07/06/2012, 07:34 PMIf choose not to do the check disc, we would require a waiver noting that you understand the master is not to industry spec and may not play correctly in all players...
I'm not sure what this means - how is a check disc supposed to change that statement above?  Isn't the final product NOT meant to play in all players in the first place?!?! 

That is, getting the check disc isn't going to change anything in terms of "playing correctly in all players....".  As far as that wording goes, they don't seem to be guaranteeing anything relevant or necessary for playing the disc in a PCE-console.

BlueBMW

Sounds like they press one disc, send it to you so you can see if its good.  If its not then there is an option to rework things.  If you go ahead and press and the discs arent right, then you risk wasting the money on a bunch of bad discs.  Id say go ahead and get the test disc.  Im sure several of us will chip in to cover its cost.  And it could officially be the very first copy so collectors would go gaga over it.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

MottZilla

Quote from: guest on 07/07/2012, 04:13 AMGet the check disc.

Then put in on ebay for $400 as a RAER Prototype.
That's funny. Maybe not exactly this but actually that's a good idea. I'm sure you could sell the check disc if you wanted to make some of the money back on it, assuming it works. If it doesn't work it's worth it not to lose money getting a bunch of dud discs.

CrackTiger

I don't think that we should risk anything at this point. If donations are needed to get the check disc, I can offer up hand-drawn/colored Mysterious Song art for $20+ and $50+ donations.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

BlueBMW

Ill offer $50 towards it.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Keranu

I have $235 worth of pre-order funds in my Pay Pal account to cover the cost for a check disc. Since it sounds like just about everyone is in agreement to have one made, I'll go ahead and let Brian know we'd like a check disc to be sent.

Normally, it would take 10 business days to replicate 500 discs, so it shouldn't take longer than that to press a check disc, hopefully even quicker. If we're lucky we might still see a July release, but if things continue to go smoothly we should see a release no later than August.
IMG

TheClash603

You should start a separate thread, $10 donation towards the check disc.  One of the people who donates gets the check disc, and would be the first person with the game.

This is good because :
A.) You dont have to pay for the check disc.
B.) You can make sure the game works.
C.) No one person is donating too much.
D.) Builds some hype around the game with the raffle.

Just my two cents.

Keranu

I think that's an excellent idea, Clash!

I sent Brian an email just awhile ago letting him know to proceed with the check disc. I also asked him if his replication team could give any tech info on how they were able to make the stamper.
IMG

MotherGunner

Quote from: TheClash603 on 07/07/2012, 01:16 PMYou should start a separate thread, $10 donation towards the check disc.  One of the people who donates gets the check disc, and would be the first person with the game.

This is good because :

Just my two cents.
Great Idea, hell throw in the blown up artwork too!
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

jlued686

I'll happily donate $10-$20 for it.

OldRover

The disc isn't supposed to pass "industry standard". The data track isn't a regular filesystem, and it doesn't matter if it doesn't play "in all players"... it only needs to play in the players. Regardless, a check disc is a wise idea, just to be sure.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

RegalSin

Blah blah brain is just chump changing you. You do what you gotta do, to get those boom babies printed. Then you can go to PLAY magazine and get interviewed in your lair.
IMGIMG

Mathius

Quote from: RegalSin on 07/07/2012, 07:11 PMBlah blah brain is just chump changing you. You do what you gotta do, to get those boom babies printed. Then you can go to PLAY magazine and get interviewed in your lair.
LOL another "lair"!

...Beamer's "lair" would be better. His has moonbeams.

Keranu

Quote from: RegalSin on 07/07/2012, 07:11 PMBlah blah brain is just chump changing you. You do what you gotta do, to get those boom babies printed. Then you can go to PLAY magazine and get interviewed in your lair.
Haha, I love this guy! Funny enough, you can check out my "lair" in the pre-order DVD bonus.
IMG

OldMan

QuoteThe disc isn't supposed to pass "industry standard". The data track isn't a regular filesystem, and it doesn't matter if it doesn't play "in all players"... it only needs to play in the players. Regardless, a check disc is a wise idea, just to be sure.
Rover's call. Now, lets find a way to fund it....

QuoteI have $235 worth of pre-order funds in my Pay Pal account to cover the cost for a check disc.
But we shouldn't let you do that. I'll shake down Arkhan for $20. (Only because I don't pay-pal).
Everybody else, pony up.

MottZilla

Quote from: TheClash603 on 07/07/2012, 01:16 PMYou should start a separate thread, $10 donation towards the check disc.  One of the people who donates gets the check disc, and would be the first person with the game.

This is good because :

Just my two cents.
Sounds like a cool idea.

I just hope after this if the company manages to make good discs they can not go through all this for the next PCE disc pressing. It would be horrid if every new game went through this.

Keranu

Quote from: TheOldMan on 07/07/2012, 07:42 PM
QuoteI have $235 worth of pre-order funds in my Pay Pal account to cover the cost for a check disc.
But we shouldn't let you do that. I'll shake down Arkhan for $20. (Only because I don't pay-pal).
Everybody else, pony up.
We were able to cover the production cost very quickly with the pre-orders and I still get the occasional order coming in. People are welcome to donate, a buck or two will do just dandy. I'll start the donation raffle once Brian has the order set.
IMG

ParanoiaDragon

And ofcoarse, then we get the check disc.....fire it up....& nothing, now that would suck, but, I'm hoping for the best.  Who's the check disc being sent to anyways? K? Nod?
IMG

mrhaboobi

Happy to help the cause, but just make sure they remember exactly what they have done to get this to work, infact make it a condition of the contract and the check disk.  They have to record what haas been done to make this work, and for all future PCE projects they can reference their "how to guide".
Looking for (MINT ONLY)
US Manual : Magical Chase, Shockman 
US Box : Turrican,  Soldier Blade, New Adventure Island, Neutopia II
Other : Sapphire OBI, Turbo Play Aug/Sept 90, April/May 92, Turbo Edge Spring 90

PC Engine Special Cards : Bomberman User Battle

Alydnes Super Grafx

Keranu

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 07/07/2012, 11:02 PMAnd ofcoarse, then we get the check disc.....fire it up....& nothing, now that would suck, but, I'm hoping for the best.  Who's the check disc being sent to anyways? K? Nod?
I was gonna have it sent to me just to make things a little easier for Nationwide, but I can tell them to mail it to Nod if he wants it.
IMG

Mishran

Quote from: mrhaboobi on 07/07/2012, 11:36 PMHappy to help the cause, but just make sure they remember exactly what they have done to get this to work, infact make it a condition of the contract and the check disk.  They have to record what haas been done to make this work, and for all future PCE projects they can reference their "how to guide".

It sounds to me like it was just a simple case of miscommunication. They were told that the disc was a non standard game disc, and those morons tried to play it with Windows Media Player or some stupid shit. Doesn't sound like the "stamping" is even an issue. Don't see how it could be when your making an exact 1:1 copy of the master. But hopefully they take notes to prevent such problems in the future.

spenoza

I think, when this is over, that MSR will become a cautionary tale to other homebrew authors. There are lessons to be learned...

OldRover

Keranu, if you have both the original CDROM unit and a Duo, take it and test it there. I only have a Duo, so it would need to be sent to someone with an original unit too.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Mathius

Quote from: OldRover on 07/08/2012, 10:45 AMKeranu, if you have both the original CDROM unit and a Duo, take it and test it there. I only have a Duo, so it would need to be sent to someone with an original unit too.
I have a Turbo CD.

CrackTiger

Quote from: The Old Rover on 07/08/2012, 10:45 AMKeranu, if you have both the original CDROM unit and a Duo, take it and test it there. I only have a Duo, so it would need to be sent to someone with an original unit too.
I have a PCE CD-ROM, Duo RX, Turbo-CD and TurboDuo.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

BlueBMW

Quote from: guest on 07/08/2012, 12:29 PM
Quote from: OldRover on 07/08/2012, 10:45 AMKeranu, if you have both the original CDROM unit and a Duo, take it and test it there. I only have a Duo, so it would need to be sent to someone with an original unit too.
I have a.... Duo, TGCD, PCECD, SCD2, DuoR, DuoRX, Laseractive!

Just followin a trend there :)

Keranu

I have a Turbo Duo and a PCE Briefcase, but the CD unit on the PCE will no longer load CDs :( . I'll have it sent to CrackTiger, and that way he can also send out any artwork with the raffle if he wants to.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: BlueBMW on 07/08/2012, 01:01 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 07/08/2012, 12:29 PM
Quote from: The Old Rover on 07/08/2012, 10:45 AMKeranu, if you have both the original CDROM unit and a Duo, take it and test it there. I only have a Duo, so it would need to be sent to someone with an original unit too.
I have a.... Duo, TGCD, PCECD, SCD2, DuoR, DuoRX, Laseractive!

Just followin a trend there :)
You've also got all my shit!

If you send it here, we've got two duo-rs, and OldMan's CD unit.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

VestCunt

Quote from: BlueBMW on 07/08/2012, 01:01 PMI have a.... Duo, TGCD, PCECD, SCD2, DuoR, DuoRX, Laseractive!
What about the SGX-->RAU-30-->PCECD?

If that's not an important user base for homebrew developers, I don't know what is.
Topic Adjourned.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: VestCunt on 07/08/2012, 10:52 PM
Quote from: BlueBMW on 07/08/2012, 01:01 PMI have a.... Duo, TGCD, PCECD, SCD2, DuoR, DuoRX, Laseractive!
What about the SGX-->RAU-30-->PCECD?

If that's not an important user base for homebrew developers, I don't know what is.
THATS THE SETUP I USE SUCKAAAAAAYEAHUHHHHH

except the rau-30 is all dumb and Beemler is fixing it.

BlueBMW

I never realized just how big the rau 30 was lol   hopefully I can get you feexed up ark.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: BlueBMW on 07/09/2012, 07:51 AMI never realized just how big the rau 30 was lol   hopefully I can get you feexed up ark.
What really annoys me about the RAU-30 is that the cable is so damn thick and retarded, and its on the wrong fuckin side, so you can't really like put the SGX to the side you want to easily. 

I usually shove it in and turn the thing backwards so I can do it.

Keranu

The check disc order has been made! They won't ship outside the US, so I'll have to mail it to CrackTiger myself if he's still interested in testing the disc.

"Hey Keelan,

Great - I will get with billing after lunch and get everything moving here. It takes about 3 business days. Once it's completed I will let you know.

As for shipping to Canada. We do not ship outside the US, so I would have to ship to out to you.

Sincerely,
Brian"

---

And with that said, I will now take donations for the raffle! My Pay Pal ID is keelan_mckenna@yahoo.com, just make sure to indicate it's a donation in the comment box. Any donation amount will qualify for the raffle, so don't feel pressured to donate more than you're comfortable with!
IMG

VestCunt

Donation sent!

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 07/09/2012, 04:00 AMexcept the rau-30 is all dumb and Beemler is fixing it.
Did you buy the one I sold to Nat?
Topic Adjourned.

Keranu

Thanks so much, vestcunt! You are donator numero uno!
IMG

BlueBMW

Donation sent.  If you guys need more let me know.

Quote from: guest on 07/09/2012, 06:22 PMDid you buy the one I sold to Nat?
I did, but unfortunately I have not received any of the things I bought from nat. :(