OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Turbo Gouging on Ebay ( r.i.p. - gouging much )

Started by NecroPhile, 08/03/2010, 04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NecroPhile

A cool mug and the proceeds go to Aaron to help fund the forum.  8)
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

FiftyQuid

Quote from: guest on 08/16/2012, 09:39 AMA cool mug and the proceeds go to Aaron to help fund the forum.  8)
Thanks for reminding me about the cafepress store.  Just purchased the Turbo Legacy poster.  I had almost forgotten all about it.  :dance:

Man, the SS 3.0 case with 2.0 card sold for $65!  :shock:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190712783819?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

FiftyQuid

tpivette

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 08/16/2012, 02:55 PM
Quote from: guest on 08/16/2012, 09:39 AMA cool mug and the proceeds go to Aaron to help fund the forum.  8)
Man, the SS 3.0 case with 2.0 card sold for $65!  :shock:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190712783819?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Jeez, someone was crazy/stupid enough to buy that? Maybe they had a loose SS 3.0 card and wanted the case/insert? Still overpriced either way, but I'm just trying to figure out why someone would pay that much
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

tpivette

Quote from: guest on 08/16/2012, 09:39 AMA cool mug and the proceeds go to Aaron to help fund the forum.  8)
Thanks for reminding me about the cafepress store.  Just purchased the Turbo Legacy poster.  I had almost forgotten all about it.  :dance:
I had forgotten about this awesome item too... probably gonna order one later tonight. It would look fantastic in my gameroom!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f

roflmao

Quote from: tpivette on 08/17/2012, 08:48 PM
Quote from: guest on 08/16/2012, 09:39 AMA cool mug and the proceeds go to Aaron to help fund the forum.  8)
Thanks for reminding me about the cafepress store.  Just purchased the Turbo Legacy poster.  I had almost forgotten all about it.  :dance:
I had forgotten about this awesome item too... probably gonna order one later tonight. It would look fantastic in my gameroom!
Every time I see one, I drool.  I need to get me one before they disappear.

tpivette

Damn it! I tried to order this poster, but now the website says the page cannot be found?!? Does this mean theyre no longer availible and have run out? Nooooo...

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f

wilykat

Quote from: tpivette on 08/17/2012, 08:47 PM
Jeez, someone was crazy/stupid enough to buy that? Maybe they had a loose SS 3.0 card and wanted the case/insert? Still overpriced either way, but I'm just trying to figure out why someone would pay that much
Maybe people thought the card is 3.0?  Title was misleading and if people didn't scroll down, they'd never see anything about 2.0 card with 3.0 case and insert.

JapanTokei

well it looks like the guy still made it off with the phony listing being sold

Jeez, someone was crazy/stupid enough to buy that? Maybe they had a loose SS 3.0 card and wanted the case/insert? Still overpriced either way, but I'm just trying to figure out why someone would pay that much[/quote]
Maybe people thought the card is 3.0?  Title was misleading and if people didn't scroll down, they'd never see anything about 2.0 card with 3.0 case and insert.[/quote]

FiftyQuid

Quote from: tpivette on 08/17/2012, 10:24 PMDamn it! I tried to order this poster, but now the website says the page cannot be found?!? Does this mean theyre no longer availible and have run out? Nooooo...
Try a different browser.  I had the same issue at first.

jperryss

Quote from: JapanTokei on 08/18/2012, 04:25 AMwell it looks like the guy still made it off with the phony listing being sold
Already discussed last week (maybe in this thread). Several people called him out on it and he published the questions and answers, admitting that he realized it's not a 3.0 card. He might've been limited on what eBay would let him edit at that point, since there were already bids on it.

Yes, the best thing he could've done was end the auction and re-list it, but I don't think he was being intentionally phony about it.

FiftyQuid

Anyone that put a bid in on that listing knew what they were bidding on.  Only a TG collector/reseller would even be looking at the auction.  Still $65 for a case seems crazy to me.

bartre

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 08/18/2012, 08:27 PMAnyone that put a bid in on that listing knew what they were bidding on.  Only a TG collector/reseller would even be looking at the auction.  Still $65 for a case seems crazy to me.
yeah, i'd say you're right there, $65 is crazy or stupid, potentially both.

FiftyQuid

Quote from: djolof on 08/18/2012, 09:51 PMWhaaaaaat? Insert head explosion: 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item2320f5f9af&item=150876846511&nma=true&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&rt=nc&si=MMMe9gOyRvvkqrRv%252B0tuEatV8kU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_500wt_1220
Holy shit!  I just mailed a copy of that game to Bernie for FREE!  FUUUUUCK!  Maybe I can intercept the mailman?  Maybe I can ask Bernie to send me $100 for the game.  :?

That haaaassss to be shill bidding.

djolof

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 08/18/2012, 10:14 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item2320f5f9af&item=150876846511&nma=true&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&rt=nc&si=MMMe9gOyRvvkqrRv%252B0tuEatV8kU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_500wt_1220
Holy shit!  I just mailed a copy of that game to Bernie for FREE!  FUUUUUCK!  Maybe I can intercept the mailman?  Maybe I can ask Bernie to send me $100 for the game.  :?

I agree, no way can that be real...

meka

I just bought a copy of Shockman for $25 from a used video game shop in Australia (Gametraders) that I thought was loose, but they found the case and manual and did not charge me any extra.

FiftyQuid

DildoKKKobold

Boy, I'm glad I got my copy for $42 a couple months ago. Wish I'd had the foresight to buy Neutopia 2 as well.

There is something freaky going on with video games lately. All prices across the board are spiking, when they usually fall this time of year.

Does some character on the big bang theory collect games or something?
For a good time, email: kylethomson@gmail.com
Dildos provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

esadajr

Quote from: guest on 08/19/2012, 12:15 AMThere is something freaky going on with video games lately. All prices across the board are spiking, when they usually fall this time of year. 
I couldn't agree more. And it's not only affecting video games but other 80's/90's items as well.
Gaming since 1985

T2KFreeker

It's becoming the new Fad. Watch, games are the new Beanie Baby. It will pop in the next year or so. People are stupid to pay some of the insane prices posting right now.
END OF LINE.

T2KFreeker

Quote from: Bardoly on 08/19/2012, 12:45 AM

Yep, I was very surprised to see it go that high too.  I want to get a copy of Shockman, but not for that price.   :roll:
But, but, but Dudez, it's totally rare and worth a ton of money because, well just because!
END OF LINE.

VestCunt

Quote from: djolof on 08/18/2012, 10:21 PM
Quote from: FiftyQuid on 08/18/2012, 10:14 PM

Holy shit!  I just mailed a copy of that game to Bernie for FREE!  FUUUUUCK!  Maybe I can intercept the mailman?  Maybe I can ask Bernie to send me $100 for the game.  :?

I agree, no way can that be real...
We were all saying the same thing about Bomberman '93 and Soldier Blade a couple years ago.

I believe it's real bidding. Many of the other plastic tray hucards have broken the $100 mark. Shockman is rare enough to give noobs hard-ons, especially if a couple months have gone by since the last auction and they think they've found a copy with a jewel case.
Topic Adjourned.

LostFlunky

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: T2KFreeker on 08/19/2012, 12:32 AMIt's becoming the new Fad. Watch, games are the new Beanie Baby. It will pop in the next year or so. People are stupid to pay some of the insane prices posting right now.
What I've noticed here, in my short time, is the Buy/Sell/Trade is heavily weighted towards the WTB over the WTS. Has it always been this way? It seems like every WTS post is gone in seconds, and few people even HAVE the items extra to sell to people WTB.

For a good time, email: kylethomson@gmail.com
Dildos provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

FiftyQuid

Quote from: guest on 08/19/2012, 12:47 AMShockman is rare enough to give noobs hard-ons, especially if a couple months have gone by since the last auction and they think they've found a copy with a jewel case.
I disagree with Shockman being even remotely rare.  Shockman is not a rare title.  Before I create the raffle I had 3 copies!  I still have 2 copies!

T2KFreeker

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 08/19/2012, 12:56 AM
Quote from: guest on 08/19/2012, 12:47 AMShockman is rare enough to give noobs hard-ons, especially if a couple months have gone by since the last auction and they think they've found a copy with a jewel case.
I disagree with Shockman being even remotely rare.  Shockman is not a rare title.  Before I create the raffle I had 3 copies!  I still have 2 copies!
Really?
END OF LINE.

FiftyQuid

T2KFreeker

END OF LINE.

VestCunt

Quote from: DildoKKKobold on 08/19/2012, 12:56 AMWhat I've noticed here, in my short time, is the Buy/Sell/Trade is heavily weighted towards the WTB over the WTS. Has it always been this way? It seems like every WTS post is gone in seconds, and few people even HAVE the items extra to sell to people WTB.
Welcome to 2008. That's because there's an endless line of freemarket noobs like you who all need to have complete sets.
Quote from: FiftyQuid on 08/19/2012, 12:56 AM
Quote from: VestCunt on 08/19/2012, 12:47 AMShockman is rare enough to give noobs hard-ons, especially if a couple months have gone by since the last auction and they think they've found a copy with a jewel case.
I disagree with Shockman being even remotely rare.  Shockman is not a rare title.  Before I create the raffle I had 3 copies!  I still have 2 copies!
I'm not saying it's rare, just that it's rare enough for bidding wars like this. Again, consider the other Turbochips from '92-93 that occasionally break $100: Soldier Blade, Legend of Hero Tonma, Bomberman '93, Neutopia 2... heck, people pay $100 for World Sports Competition. And not because they want to play it, but because they NEED it for their Precious.

So when a young Millennial suddenly decides he can't live without a complete set of some Gen X'er toy that launched when he was in diapers and searches for "shockman" and sees only one auction and two gouger listings, he'll do stupid things. Right now there's one gouger selling a new one for $255 and there's a BIN with manual for $150. When impatient people who believe ebay is a priceguide see numbers like that, they start to think $105 is a reasonable bid for an auction.
Topic Adjourned.

tpivette

Wow! Was watching this one all week just to see what it went for. Jumped from $67 to $148 in the last minute! It was even missing the rear insert and the manual had a big fold in it! Is this game really that sought after?

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=290759982987&index=0&nav=WATCHING&nid=98604449433

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f

turboswimbz

This one is my favorite.  The 10 minute video is quite priceless.  I could say more, but I really don't have anything nice to say.   Sad thing is, as of this posting he was the cheapest american duo...
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

FiftyQuid

Quote from: turboswimbz on 08/19/2012, 06:43 PMThis one is my favorite.  The 10 minute video is quite priceless.  I could say more, but I really don't have anything nice to say.   Sad thing is, as of this posting he was the cheapest american duo...
Link?

turboswimbz

oops link got deleted.  messed that one all up, like a (insert funny here).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEC-TurboGrafx-CD-Turbo-Duo-Console-System-free-Projector-/120957901206?pt=Video_Games&hash=item1c29a71996

and there is now another relisted duo at $564 with 9 games.  that is now the cheapest working duo.

Link to the video and sellers set up:
"Old days we have only photos,but this days we have Youtube,here is 10 minutes of video i recorded today with my iphone and see everything how the system works"
Click on this YouTube Video Link:
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

meka

^ He's trying to sell off a used projector with the turbo duo, but is stating that it is "free", no he's just trying to jack up the price. s.

esadajr

Gaming since 1985

VestCunt

Sometimes the gouging that bugs me the most is the everyday attrition and petty maximizing on low-profile items.

Oh, I'm sorry, do you want an original TG16 RF switch that should be as common as Keith Courage? Just bend over and give this guy $30 (shipped):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TURBO-GRAFX-16-RF-ADAPTER-/130749593440?pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item1e71487760
Topic Adjourned.

turboswimbz

Quote from: guest on 08/20/2012, 06:01 PMSometimes the gouging that bugs me the most is the everyday attrition and petty maximizing on low-profile items.

Oh, I'm sorry, do you want an original TG16 RF switch that should be as common as Keith Courage? Just bend over and give this guy $30 (shipped):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TURBO-GRAFX-16-RF-ADAPTER-/130749593440?pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item1e71487760
Yes your right this is just praying on those who don't know better, but you know what I hate more and is along the same lines... the use of rare.  RARE keith courage and RARE TG 16 with 9 RARE games, including ... TV sports, world class baseball, Victory Run, ect.. RARE                HATE THIS SO MUCH!

wilykat

Pretty much these day if they aren't available in Walmart, it's "rare"

Which reminds, me, I have the rare "Metroid: Other M" on eBay now, you can't get them anymore so it's rare.

PS did I mention it's rare?

turboswimbz

Quote from: wilykat on 08/20/2012, 09:49 PMPretty much these day if they aren't available in Walmart, it's "rare"

Which reminds, me, I have the rare "Metroid: Other M" on eBay now, you can't get them anymore so it's rare.

PS did I mention it's rare?
LOL.  yeah i bet there is some person out there foaming at the mouth saying "I Like my ebay auctions like i like my meat, rare"

CrackTiger

It's one thing when sellers just put "R@RE" in the title or imply in some way that a Turbo/PCE is "rare" in that you can't buy them locally as easily as other console games. But too many of these gougers straight lie about all kinds of things to take advantage of rich noobs putting together "sets". Like that recent posting here, which had like nine games and some hardware. The seller described in detail how we was including "9 of the top rarest PCE games". But they were actually some of the most worthless and easy to find titles.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Bardoly

Quote from: tpivette on 08/19/2012, 12:03 PMWow! Was watching this one all week just to see what it went for. Jumped from $67 to $148 in the last minute! It was even missing the rear insert and the manual had a big fold in it! Is this game really that sought after?

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=290759982987&index=0&nav=WATCHING&nid=98604449433
So, what should Cotton be going for?

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: Bardoly on 08/21/2012, 05:21 PM
Quote from: tpivette on 08/19/2012, 12:03 PMWow! Was watching this one all week just to see what it went for. Jumped from $67 to $148 in the last minute! It was even missing the rear insert and the manual had a big fold in it! Is this game really that sought after?

About a 1/3rd of that price, hell thats what I got mine for.

Bardoly

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 08/21/2012, 06:03 PM
Quote from: Bardoly on 08/21/2012, 05:21 PM

About a 1/3rd of that price, hell thats what I got mine for.
For a U.S.-released version?
I've been keeping an eye on it for about 2 months, and it seems that the Japanese-released one has been going for $50-65, while the U.S.-released one hasn't really had a lot of sales, but it seems that it has been going for over $100.

bob

What pisses me off is how most local stores that carry old video games use eBay as their sole price guide and in many cases INCRESAE the price a bit. Like a real live BIN or something. "But unlike eBay, you get to take it home today!"

They don't realize if an auction ended at a certain price, that was the MOST somebody was willing to pay for it. Living in rhode island, I really don't care that some douche in San Diego overpaid for something. These people don't realize they aren't exactly getting a national audience browsing their hole in the wall store. No wonder most of these places fail in under a year. They just sit on loads of games because they don't want to accept anything less than what they perceive as fair market.  But they complain that they can't move the shit if you try to make a trade with them, and they don't want anything unless it's a total score for them at a dirt cheap price.

FiftyQuid

Quote from: galam on 08/21/2012, 08:12 PMWhat pisses me off is how most local stores that carry old video games use eBay as their sole price guide and in many cases INCRESAE the price a bit. Like a real live BIN or something. "But unlike eBay, you get to take it home today!"

They don't realize if an auction ended at a certain price, that was the MOST somebody was willing to pay for it. Living in rhode island, I really don't care that some douche in San Diego overpaid for something. These people don't realize they aren't exactly getting a national audience browsing their hole in the wall store. No wonder most of these places fail in under a year. They just sit on loads of games because they don't want to accept anything less than what they perceive as fair market.  But they complain that they can't move the shit if you try to make a trade with them, and they don't want anything unless it's a total score for them at a dirt cheap price.
Well I can understand them wanting to make a living.  I can't understand them not wanting to move shit.  Having new stock brings in new customers and gets old customers ones to come back.  

I say fuck 'em.  If they can't figure out that selling a game and making $10 profit now is better than sitting on a game for over a year waiting to making $20 profit then I say let them fail.  Idiots shouldn't be in business.

bob

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 08/21/2012, 08:23 PMWell I can understand them wanting to make a living.  I can't understand them not wanting to move shit.  Having new stock brings in new customers and gets old customers ones to come back. 

I say fuck 'em.  If they can't figure out that selling a game and making $10 profit now is better than sitting on a game for over a year waiting to making $20 profit then I say let them fail.  Idiots shouldn't be in business.
Oh, totally understand your first point. I have bought a lot of crap that I dont really care about just to help keep these guys in business. And I have found that buying the junk at asking price actually turns into a bit of a bargaining chip when I want the good stuff.

tggodfrey

You have members here selling US Cotton for 250.00, as far as i am concerned that ebay auction is just proof the balloon is deflating slowly.

I think part of what is driving up prices is the exchange rate of the US dollar.  Its expensive for us to buy but not if you live outside the US.  I see it more with Skydiving equipment.  A used Parachute ("Rig") cost me 2500.00 in 2007.  Later that year I sold it for 3000.00 because a guy in switzerland bought it.  Most I prolly could have gotten in the US would have been 2500-2600 ( i got a great deal becuase the previous owner wanted out).  Now because the exchange rates are far worse a new Rig will cost 8200.00 where I paid 6700.00 in 2007, many canopies are made over seas in Europe.  Its only 5 years difference.

Not arguing on the behalf of gougers, just that there are some other factors screwing us as well.

Terry
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy