Turbo Gouging on Ebay ( r.i.p. - gouging much )

Started by NecroPhile, 08/03/2010, 04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FiftyQuid

I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

turboswimbz

NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

BigusSchmuck

FiftyQuid

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 09/09/2012, 08:40 PMAnd yet another insanely priced Dungeon Explorer 2:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dungeon-Explorer-II-TurboGrafx-CD-1993-/330790332879?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item4d04a3e9cf
I think this one started at $100.00.  I remember seeing it when it was originally posted.  No BIN.

turboswimbz

yeah this guy looked into the prices, and the buzz for the system. while he started them at relativly low prices compared to ebay final sales, he knew he was going to get more for his collection.  Some stuff went reasonably though.
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

bartre

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 09/09/2012, 08:38 PMA new record for Beyond Shadowgate:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221119349303&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBUAA:US:3160
Even funnier that its almost double than my maximum bid.
even funnier is the "very good" condition.
I can tell even from those crappy pics that the front cover is water damaged to hell and back.

MotherGunner

-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

hizaygizirlz

Gypsies did it.

Got no luv for the krackers only slugs for the krackers!

nectarsis

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 09/09/2012, 08:38 PMA new record for Beyond Shadowgate:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221119349303&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBUAA:US:3160
Even funnier that its almost double than my maximum bid.
That's far from the highest it's gone in the past....though obviously would have reached higher if not for that atrocious damage.
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

FiftyQuid

Mathius

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 09/10/2012, 12:40 PMNot a gouge, but I had to post this;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turbo-Grafx-16-Console-Bundle-/130764199426?pt=Video_Games&hash=item1e72275602

Quotethe games are not rare.
Holy shit!  An honest seller!
It is a sucky time when honest sellers are outnumbered by dishonest gougers.

turboswimbz

FQ To be completly honest with everyone, that listing would be mine.  eBay made me take out the part about "if anyone told you diffrent than they were shitting you"    

This also was kinda interesting:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OFFICIAL-NEC-RW-SWITCH-for-Turbografx-16-CD-System-Console-/160857088547?pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item2573d46223

FiftyQuid

Quote from: turboswimbz on 09/10/2012, 04:18 PMFQ To be completly honest with everyone, that listing would be mine.  eBay made me take out the part about "if anyone told you diffrent than they were shitting you"
Very honest of you to admit it's your auction.  Too bad eBay made you remove the original.  I don't think it was bad at all, in fact I think it was classy.  :D

DildoKKKobold

For a good time, email: kylethomson@gmail.com
Dildos provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

CrackTiger

"Pretty nice copy of Bonk 3... nearly the rarest game in history"
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Mishran

NecroPhile

Quote from: CrackTiger on 09/12/2012, 07:46 AM"Pretty nice copy of Bonk 3... nearly the rarest game in history"
Plus no case and 'game disc isn't perfect' (whatever that means) - sounds like a sweet deal!  :lol:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: Mishran on 09/12/2012, 07:53 AMNot Turbo related, but rediculous gouging nonetheless...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-NEOGEO-X-GOLD-ENTERTAINMENT-SYSTEM-Bonus-NINJA-MASTER-Game-Japan-F-S-/271057796305?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1c4dbcd1

Not even out yet and assholes are anticipating stupidity.
I feel no pity for anyone stupid enough to buy that.

http://www.examiner.com/article/x-marks-the-golden-spot

It is suppose to retail at $200. It won't be a limited edition. Its the buyers fault more than the sellers, if they do purchase this ebay item.
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

xcrement5x

This seems pretty high for what I remember copies going for:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230850122147

Vasteel for $150 with manual and map but no slipcover, wot?!
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

Mathius

Quote from: guest on 09/12/2012, 04:00 PMThis seems pretty high for what I remember copies going for:

An Online Strategy Guide is listed as one of the game's Special Features  :lol:

CrackTiger

Quote from: guest on 09/12/2012, 04:00 PMThis seems pretty high for what I remember copies going for:

I bought one in the same completeness here a year ago for $30 - $40(?).

QuoteAn Online Strategy Guide is listed as one of the game's Special Features  Laughing
I think that they mean the in-game computer voiced descriptions of units. The stats look like they were translated in Google and copy/pasted into the description. "Support Elements Cartridge Save" likely just means you can save your game.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

DildoKKKobold

DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

FiftyQuid

$499 BIN for Cotton (USA)???  #-o

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COTTON-FANTASTIC-NIGHT-DREAMS-USA-TURBO-DUO-GRAFX-16-CD-NEAR-MINT-/350601097460?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item51a17430f4

Near mint, but in the photos it looks like someone took a cigarette lighter to the back of the manual.  Second one on eBay this year?  More like 3rd one on eBay this month.  Dumbasses...

NecroPhile

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 09/13/2012, 12:33 PMNear mint, but in the photos it looks like someone took a cigarette lighter to the back of the manual.
You mean the right hand side?  That's normal, as it's an extension of the front cover art and not a plain black strip like most other games.

SuperPlay

Not TG16/PCE however:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120983685822&clk_rvr_id=386565951986

Floppy Disk $300!

Ah sorry it comes with "a signed document proving it's authenticity"

LostFlunky

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 09/13/2012, 12:33 PM$499 BIN for Cotton (USA)???  #-o

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COTTON-FANTASTIC-NIGHT-DREAMS-USA-TURBO-DUO-GRAFX-16-CD-NEAR-MINT-/350601097460?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item51a17430f4

Near mint, but in the photos it looks like someone took a cigarette lighter to the back of the manual.  Second one on eBay this year?  More like 3rd one on eBay this month.  Dumbasses...
I am sure "16-bit" has been referenced in this thread many times... "repeat offender" for many years..

FiftyQuid

Quote from: guest on 09/13/2012, 12:52 PMYou mean the right hand side?  That's normal, as it's an extension of the front cover art and not a plain black strip like most other games.
Ah.  Thanks for clarifying.  I don't have $499 to blow so I haven't had the pleasure of seeing the inside of Cotton.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Lost Monkey on 09/13/2012, 01:58 PM
Quote from: FiftyQuid on 09/13/2012, 12:33 PM$499 BIN for Cotton (USA)???  #-o

I am sure "16-bit" has been referenced in this thread many times... "repeat offender" for many years..
Wow, I remember when half his stuff was 20% - 50% higher than the average asking price, but I didn't realize he'd gotten into the gouging competition. :/ Hopefully he isn't power buying Turbo games just to ransome them at gouger prices. :(

VestCunt

Quote from: CrackTiger on 09/13/2012, 02:25 PMWow, I remember when half his stuff was 20% - 50% higher than the average asking price, but I didn't realize he'd gotten into the gouging competition. :/ Hopefully he isn't power buying Turbo games just to ransome them at gouger prices. :(
What a nincompoop. I bought a couple things from 16-bit AKA Mad Gear in 2005-07. Some of his PCE prices were good back then and I put him on my "Favorite sellers" list. He opened an account here at one point and some members ran him out of town. Somebody else later created an account with the handle "16-bit" but they had different punctuation.
Topic Adjourned.

tggodfrey

I have bought from Carlson this year and I have had good deals with him.  I just contacted him outside ebay and discussed interest.  He brought prices below what I was willing to offer on Drac X and SF II CE.    I would say offer him a fair price and see what he says before you totally write him off.
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

Obfuscate

It's sad there are a bunch of games I had planned on getting eventually but now know I probably will never own (Examples: Beyond Shadowgate, Magical Chase PC Engine Version).

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: SuperPlay on 09/13/2012, 01:45 PMNot TG16/PCE however:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120983685822&clk_rvr_id=386565951986

Floppy Disk $300!

Ah sorry it comes with "a signed document proving it's authenticity"
Assuming this is legit, that is a pretty awesome collectors item. I mean, its the source to an original nintendo game - I'm not sure how much of that still exists in the world today. This item isn't some game they produced 1000s of, it is a 1 off item that would go well in a museum (after its been backed up.) Seriously, there is a difference between a commercially sold video game, and a piece of production from video game history.
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

SuperPlay

It may be the real deal however I am Just sceptical of these kinds of auctions. Due to: Insert disk right click select 'copy' insert blank floppy, scribble a label, print certificate and bam a quick $400!

Also the source code to "Crystal Mines" another Color Dreams title is freely available. This was released for free by Ken Beckett who was a programmer at the company.

NecroPhile

TV Sports Football for $53.90 shipped.

..... of all the games to get VGA graded and stuffed in a plastic tomb, why this one?

bob

thesteve

Quote from: guest on 09/13/2012, 06:08 PMTV Sports Football for $53.90 shipped.

..... of all the games to get VGA graded and stuffed in a plastic tomb, why this one?
because no one wants to play it

Senshi

PSN: Dynastic_Hero
Steam: Dynastic_Hero

CrackTiger

Quote from: tggodfrey on 09/13/2012, 03:00 PMI have bought from Carlson this year and I have had good deals with him.  I just contacted him outside ebay and discussed interest.  He brought prices below what I was willing to offer on Drac X and SF II CE.    I would say offer him a fair price and see what he says before you totally write him off.
So you really think he'll take $100 for a game he is asking $500 for?

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: NecroPhile on 09/13/2012, 06:08 PMTV Sports Football for $53.90 shipped.

Because the seller hates making money. I guesstimate the sealed price of this game is around $20-25.  My guess is that he paid the $40 non-standard size fee to have it graded:

http://www.vggrader.com/submission_packagedpricing.aspx

But, lets say he paid $25, for arguments sake.

So, we are at a value of $45. Now, he's charging $53.94, so $9 profit? Not so fast. He's not a powerseller, so its going to be 16% off the top to paypal and Ebay. We are down to $45.04. Now, lets assume this is right around 13 ounces, so it will be $4 to ship. $41.04. We haven't included shipping to and from VGA - add another $4 each way - $33.04. Subtract the VGA price, $25, and we have a final value of the item at $8.04.

For an item worth $20 - 25, he will get $8. He hates money.
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

16-bit

Quote from: guest on 09/13/2012, 02:39 PM
Quote from: guest on 09/13/2012, 02:25 PMWow, I remember when half his stuff was 20% - 50% higher than the average asking price, but I didn't realize he'd gotten into the gouging competition. :/ Hopefully he isn't power buying Turbo games just to ransome them at gouger prices. :(
What a nincompoop. I bought a couple things from 16-bit AKA Mad Gear in 2005-07. Some of his PCE prices were good back then and I put him on my "Favorite sellers" list. He opened an account here at one point and some members ran him out of town. Somebody else later created an account with the handle "16-bit" but they had different punctuation.
Quote from: guest on 09/13/2012, 02:39 PM
Quote from: guest on 09/13/2012, 02:25 PMWow, I remember when half his stuff was 20% - 50% higher than the average asking price, but I didn't realize he'd gotten into the gouging competition. :/ Hopefully he isn't power buying Turbo games just to ransome them at gouger prices. :(
No one ran me out of town.

I did looked up the game on terapeak and one did go for auction close to 500 in the summer of 2011.  Another one was at a BIN for 300 last fall and was bought within hours.   There was an auction for a brand new one that ended around 200ish as well (which was a really good deal IMO).   My last JP copy sold for $68. 

Anyway, The previous one I had I sold at Cowlitz Gamers covention in Washington State earlier this year for less than 300 to a guy who bought a ton of games from me at the time of the sale (thus giving himself good leverage).  I love to haggle (especially if it is part of a large sale).   You are always welcome  email me directly carlson@mad-gear.com

16-bit

Quote from: guest on 09/13/2012, 06:50 PM
Quote from: tggodfrey on 09/13/2012, 03:00 PMI have bought from Carlson this year and I have had good deals with him.  I just contacted him outside ebay and discussed interest.  He brought prices below what I was willing to offer on Drac X and SF II CE.    I would say offer him a fair price and see what he says before you totally write him off.
Quote from: guest on 09/13/2012, 06:50 PM
Quote from: tggodfrey on 09/13/2012, 03:00 PMI have bought from Carlson this year and I have had good deals with him.  I just contacted him outside ebay and discussed interest.  He brought prices below what I was willing to offer on Drac X and SF II CE.    I would say offer him a fair price and see what he says before you totally write him off.
This game was part of a large collection of video games that I bought this summer when I was at A-kon in Dallas.  I paid more than $100 for it (the game specifically), so probably not.

VestCunt

Quote from: 16-bit on 09/13/2012, 07:15 PMI did looked up the game on terapeak and one did go for auction close to 500 in the summer of 2011.  Another one was at a BIN for 300 last fall and was bought within hours.   There was an auction for a brand new one that ended around 200ish as well (which was a really good deal IMO).   My last JP copy sold for $68.  

Anyway, The previous one I had I sold at Cowlitz Gamers covention in Washington State earlier this year for less than 300 to a guy who bought a ton of games from me at the time of the sale (thus giving himself good leverage).  I love to haggle (especially if it is part of a large sale).   You are always welcome  email me directly carlson@mad-gear.com
The sealed auction this Spring was mine. I started it at $0.99 and it sold for $232. It should be noted that I milked it for everything it was worth - the listed was very well-described, lots of high-quality pictures, it ran a full ten days, I pimped the special UPC sticker, and it got lots of exposure from my other of high-profile items listed simultaneously.  Even with today's insane prices, Cotton generally goes for $200+/-. Even stupid VG pricecharting.com doesn't have record of any sales over $230. I'm VERY surprised to hear of other people paying more, but I guess you've scoured the planet and found a couple more extreme examples in the history of online sales, so why not tack on another $200 and that sets the new starting price!

It's kinda nice that you're willing to haggle, but why do you have to gouge? Why set an unprecedented BIN and let it sit there for months? Exactly what service are you providing to humanity by setting up an LLC and buying a kids toy for $100+ and trying to flip it for $500? You're a parasite.
Topic Adjourned.

16-bit

Quote from: guest on 09/13/2012, 08:26 PMIt's kinda nice that you're willing to haggle, but why do you have to gouge? Why set an unprecedented BIN and let it sit there for months? Exactly what service are you providing to humanity by setting up an LLC and buying a kids toy for $100+ and trying to flip it for $500? You're a parasite.
Actually, I probably won't let it sit there for months. I have Retrogaming Expo coming up the end of this month  and I will probably pull it and bring it to that event.  I sold a majority of my pc engine/tg16 stock at the show last year, and I prefer to sell most of my inventory outside of eBay at events like the Portland Retro Gaming Expo, Midwest Gaming Classic, TooManyGames, Magfest if at all possible.  Although it costs about the same as ebay fees when you factor in airfare, hotel, shipping, and table fees, it is way more fun to sell and haggle to people in person and  talk about turbo grafx gaming during the slow moments of the show.

Personally, as a fellow Turbo Grafx gamer, if I was going to zero in on "parasites" I would start by policing the forums since you guys cut each other amazing deals and treat each other like family (especially compared to other video game forums). I would be seriously pissed off if there were any businesses using the goodwill of the pcefx forums to gather inventory.

glazball

Still, $500 for Cotton is shitty.  Why not offer it here?  I'm sure there are many who would love to own it for a decent price.
glazball's game collection and wantlist

16-bit

Quote from: glazball on 09/14/2012, 01:19 AMStill, $500 for Cotton is shitty.  Why not offer it here?  I'm sure there are many who would love to own it for a decent price.
I stated in a previous post in this thread that I sold one for sub-300 at Cowlitz Gamers For Kids this April and I posted my email.

I have posted once or twice in the selling forum, but that was for special blowouts. I generally consider the sales forum a sacred space where you guys can treat each other super well.  I would feel sorta "shitty" as a business knocking to page 2 a guy selling trying to give his personal collection a good home to forum friends or doing a group buy.

Bernie

bob

Let me know when you fix the price of cotton to something not so comical. I may want to bid.

glazball

If you sold one for under $300, why add $200 on top of that?

I bought a boxed Turbo Stick from you several months ago and was very happy with our transaction, but it's gouging like this that leaves a sour taste in my mouth.  Now I hesitate to ever do business with you again.  I thought you were one of the good guys.

Just sayin.....  people notice stuff like this.
glazball's game collection and wantlist