PC Engine Homebrew News: The duo that brought you FX-Unit Yuki returns! A demo for "Nyanja!" is available, an action platformer akin to games like Bubble Bobble & Snow Bros in gameplay style.
Main Menu

Macross 2036.... meh

Started by PCEngineHell, 08/17/2012, 03:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PCEngineHell

I wanted to like this one a lot, but right out of the gate I just notice these dumb issues with the game. Sometimes that radar warning thing doesn't always kick on right. Some enemy attacks are not able to be defended from at all hardly and it doesn't help that the game wont let you re-select the same special attack weapon each stage unless you die and continue. THAT FORWARD LASER FIRING THING THAT CANT SHOOT STRAIGHT IS USELESS!!! I WANT MY FUCKING TRACKING MISSILES EACH STAGE GODDAMMIT!!!. There is these spots in the game were it just slows down for what seems like no reason, the game just bogs down to a grinding halt almost and it doesn't seem like justified slowdown because other spots with more going on were smoother. Some enemies look cheap and low detail too which was really annoying considering how detailed others are, and the background graphics in many areas could be much better.

The one round orb enemy thing that zooms in and out right in the one stage where your ship rams the other, that orb was one of the worst looking enemies in the game in fact. And that one dumb enemy with the "magic blue orb buttons" that splits apart had the worst attack pattern going on. It didn't even make sense enemy wise to keep popping the orb back out. Its like they thought "hey Konami gradius/salamander bosses have orbs that need to be destroyed, so can we". But the thing is the Gradius/Lifefoce ones don't just leave them automatically exposed so the boss doesn't get left there hung out to dry. Oh, and fucking being inside the enemy ship, with enemies dropping out of the ceilings which don't have access panels opening or anything, so it gives no warning, was fucking weak and looked retarded.

As is I don't think I will bother to finish this one. The developer took a great franchise and really just took way way too many shortcuts and liberties on the games development preventing it from shining like it should have, so the game feels more like average fare. It would be understandable if the game was just some new property and all, but this is Macross, and other Macross titles released do a much better job of representing the series.

PunkCryborg

I am not too crazy about ut either but a lot of people love it. It really is one of the best macross games released though, most macross games are so bad and at least 2036 is decent.

geise

I like Macross 2036, but it does have it's isses.  Like you said punk it is one of the better Macross games out there but as a shooter it's fairly average with some issues.  Nice cut-scenes and music but that really only matters more to a Macross otaku. Macross by Zamuse on the SFC is better to me from a shooter standpoint.

JoshTurboTrollX

Isn't it also very easy?  I remember blowing through it in one sitting... but that was years ago.  Maybe I'm mistaken.
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

PCEngineHell

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 08/17/2012, 11:15 AMIsn't it also very easy?  I remember blowing through it in one sitting... but that was years ago.  Maybe I'm mistaken.
Other then a few spots, yeah it is pretty easy over all, on normal anyway. The bosses are a joke for the most part. If I didn't stop playing I'd prob have beat it in one sitting too.

RegalSin

Most of the Macross games is the same exact game redesign, unless this one is differnt. I havent, bother to get this because the story is the exact same story. Macross flamed out faster then Voltron, Towards the late 1990's, Unless you follow the continuing storyline,
IMGIMG

Tatsujin

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 08/17/2012, 11:15 AMIsn't it also very easy?  I remember blowing through it in one sitting... but that was years ago.  Maybe I'm mistaken.
lol, that's right, same here.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Tatsujin

i also like macross scrambled valkyrie on sfc the better, but that's because it is one of the best shewty on the system anyway.

and because of this :)
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

PCEngineHell

Quote from: Tatsujin on 08/17/2012, 12:02 PMi also like macross scrambled valkyrie on sfc the better, but that's because it is one of the best shewty on the system anyway.

and because of this :)
Yeah see that's what I'm talking about. You look at that game and then you look at 2036 and its like wtf happened, and there is no excuse for it considering the hardware 2036 was developed on?

BigusSchmuck

Macross Ein No Love song is a much better game IMO. Seriously though, they need to make more Macross strategy games like that. Also, Macross VO for the PC is just plain awesome.

SignOfZeta

When it was released it was considered good because it was much better than the FC or computer games. The cutscenes are extremely good and a decent amount of original art was made for the new Valks, characters, etc.

Nowadays though, after the (amazing) SFC game and the two arcade releases...it doesn't hold up. I like it, but not strictly for the gameplay, for the whole experience. It's almost as good as a mini OVA in terms of "new Macross stuff". Keep in mind that at the time the newest Macross was Macross II, which wasn't very good, and before that there was just the original TV, movie, and Flashback. We were Macross starved!

The stage with the line scrolling water is pretty nice however it's nothing compared to the SFC game. I'm not sure there is much on SFC that compares to the SFC game. It's pretty wonderful.
IMG

PCEngineHell

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 08/17/2012, 03:54 PMThe stage with the line scrolling water is pretty nice however it's nothing compared to the SFC game.
You talking about the stage with the reflective water and pillar things that can be blasted away? If so then yeah that was kind of the most impressive stage to me in the game.

Colossus1574

Wow...after all this talk about Macross games, i'm suprised nobody mentioned Robotech: BattleCry for ps2, gc, xbox?!
I think it's the only one that's pretty good after graphics went 3D, and it had alot of depth too. There were real differences between fighting in Veritech mode vs. Battleroid mode, and there were some pretty cool mission objectives (although some where pissing tedious...).

I guess if you guys are loyal to the japanese anime and detest the US version Robotech, i can understand...

So in the end Prof...are you selling? hahah

nectarsis

Quote from: Colossus1574 on 08/17/2012, 04:44 PMWow...after all this talk about Macross games, i'm suprised nobody mentioned Robotech: BattleCry for ps2, gc, xbox?!
I think it's the only one that's pretty good after graphics went 3D, and it had alot of depth too. There were real differences between fighting in Veritech mode vs. Battleroid mode, and there were some pretty cool mission objectives (although some where pissing tedious...).

I guess if you guys are loyal to the japanese anime and detest the US version Robotech, i can understand...

So in the end Prof...are you selling? hahah
Most/all of the psp games (and Gundam...all based off the same engine IIRC) are good to great.
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

PCEngineHell

Quote from: Colossus1574 on 08/17/2012, 04:44 PMSo in the end Prof...are you selling? hahah
Not yet lol. I told Bernie I'd give him a heads up if I decide to sell or trade it, so he has first dibs. I may give the game another go. I'm just hard pressed to do so when I have quite a few better shooters sitting here that don't try to hold my hand on their power up system. And to be honest, I do like the cover art at least.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Colossus1574 on 08/17/2012, 04:44 PMWow...after all this talk about Macross games, i'm suprised nobody mentioned Robotech: BattleCry for ps2, gc, xbox?!
I think it's the only one that's pretty good after graphics went 3D,
Evidently you never played Artdink's PSP/PS3 games or the PS2 Macross game.
IMG

spenoza

I actually thought the Saturn Macross game was pretty good. A bit straight-forward, but lots of missiles.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guest on 08/17/2012, 06:52 PMI actually thought the Saturn Macross game was pretty good. A bit straight-forward, but lots of missiles.
The problem with that game is that is way way too easy. Ridiculously easy. Also: pre-rendered CG is...always a problem.
IMG

spenoza

I still found it attractive, both visually and aurally. That and missiles. Heck, the best looking traditional Macross shooter is probably Macross Plus in the arcades.

Firebomber7

I think it's the only one that's pretty good after graphics went 3D...
The Bandai Macross game on the PS2 looks incredible. I do like Battlecry, though. They did a REALLY good job with it, despite my mixed feelings with Robotech.

As Tatsujin said, Scrambled Valkyrie is a very good game. One of the best shooters on the SFC (not that there is a lot of competition beyond what Konami offered...). DYRL on the Saturn is also really nice (and easy, as was said).
IMG
IMG
IMG
Wants:
-region/s-video modded PC Engine Duo w/Arcade Card at www. multimods .com
-region modded Super Grafx
-region modded PC Engine original
-PC-FX w/Zenki, Zeroigar, Chip-Chan, Battle Heat, Der Langrisser FX

Will this complete me?

Colossus1574

Quote from: Firebomber7 on 08/18/2012, 01:26 AM
I think it's the only one that's pretty good after graphics went 3D...
I do like Battlecry, though. They did a REALLY good job with it, despite my mixed feelings with Robotech.
Yep...too bad the Robotech: New Generation or Mospeada (Genesis Climber?) sucked i heard...

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 08/17/2012, 05:05 PM
I think it's the only one that's pretty good after graphics went 3D,
Evidently you never played Artdink's PSP/PS3 games or the PS2 Macross game.
Thanks for the suggestion Zeta, i Youtubed them just now, they do look pretty neat...but i'm gonna minus points cause it's not based off of the 1st Macross Saga  :lol:

Mathius

I like Macross 2036. It has its flaws but the game reminds me of U.N. Squadron/Area 88, which is never a bad thing.

On a side note; I just picked up Macross: Scrambled Valkrie for the SFC. I can't wait for it to get here! :D

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Colossus1574 on 08/18/2012, 04:16 AMThanks for the suggestion Zeta, i Youtubed them just now, they do look pretty neat...but i'm gonna minus points cause it's not based off of the 1st Macross Saga  :lol:
Well, the PS2 game is. The PSP games have ALL Macross in them, even Macross II if you get Ultimate Frontier. You have to play a lot to unlock everything but they have missions for the TV series and the movie. I can't remember if the Flashback stuff is in there.

The most significant thing about the PSP games is that they are actual fun and good and stuff. It used to be when you bought an anime based game from Bandai you were usually buying shit, but you were happy just to have a game based on the show you like. These days Bandai is kicking ass. I'm pretty sure they are my favorite publisher.
IMG

FraGMarE

I think it's decent, but not great.  I'd give it 7/10... maybe 8 if I'm feeling generous.  Definitely not on par with Gate of Thunder or R-Type, as far as horis go, imo.

Tatsujin

compared to the best stuff on the sys. i would give it a 6/10 at best. still a decent game. just shows how good the real good stuff is :)

Tatsujin

_Paul

As a shooter, it's decent but not stellar. As a whole package it fares better, with great music and visual scenes. It's a shame there wasn't a bit more variety within levels.

kazekirifx

"Meh" was my reaction to this game too. I had heard good things before playing it, and my expectations were a bit too high I guess.

I preferred eien no Lovesong. It's basically Langrisser in space... and I was a Langrisser fan.

TurboXray

This game is a CD 2.0 game. It might be 'bi-compatible' or whatever you want to call it, but it's not a SuperCD 3.0 game. I'm sure there would be more detailed backgrounds and more in game animation if it were. That said, I like it as is. It does have its flaws, but I find it more enjoyable than the SFC version - by a good amount.

SignOfZeta

Wow. For a non-Super CD then it's actually pretty amazing.
IMG

Mathius

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 09/14/2012, 05:29 PMWow. For a non-Super CD then it's actually pretty amazing.
Definitely! I found out not long ago that Macross was bi-compatible. The cinemas alone seem like Super CD-ROM material.

Tatsujin

Quote from: TurboXray on 09/14/2012, 01:44 PMThis game is a CD 2.0 game. It might be 'bi-compatible' or whatever you want to call it, but it's not a SuperCD 3.0 game. I'm sure there would be more detailed backgrounds and more in game animation if it were. That said, I like it as is. It does have its flaws, but I find it more enjoyable than the SFC version - by a good amount.
but seirei senshi spriggan f.e. is a 2.0 game too, and that beats the shit out of most of the 3.0 games. that said, it looks absolut fantastic, with lots of variety during each level, lots of enemies, mid bosses, huge and detailed bosses with several transformations, tons of action and explosions and huge shots on the screen etc.

if a 2.0 game earns the highest rank in max. squeezing the system, then it should be this one :)

Mathius

Quote from: Tatsujin on 09/14/2012, 10:24 PM
Quote from: TurboXray on 09/14/2012, 01:44 PMThis game is a CD 2.0 game. It might be 'bi-compatible' or whatever you want to call it, but it's not a SuperCD 3.0 game. I'm sure there would be more detailed backgrounds and more in game animation if it were. That said, I like it as is. It does have its flaws, but I find it more enjoyable than the SFC version - by a good amount.
but seirei senshi spriggan f.e. is a 2.0 game too, and that beats the shit out of most of the 3.0 games. that said, it looks absolut fantastic, with lots of variety during each level, lots of enemies, mid bosses, huge and detailed bosses with several transformations, tons of action and explosions and huge shots on the screen etc.

if a 2.0 game earns the highest rank in max. squeezing the system, then it should be this one :)
I would have to agree with you here, Tats. Spriggan is the Gate of Thunder of vertical shooties. The only area that Macross trumps Spriggan is in the aformentioned cinemas. :)

esteban

I had never considered this aspect before. DAMN. It certainly helps me appreciate what the developers did. :pcgs:
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Obfuscate

Dude you guys are crazy. Macross 2036 is freaking sweet! I love the weapon system, you just have to learn which ones are best for each level. Yes, the game is a little too easy especially the last boss but the graphics, sound, controls and weapons are great and the game is a ton of fun to fly through.

Edit: Also, I love me some Spriggan but I honestly like Macross 2036 slightly better. Macross is my 7th favorite PCE Shooter and Spriggan is #8.

arex

Grrrrr...  I owned both this and Dracula X back in the day.  I loaned them both to a friend with whom I eventually lost contact before getting my games back.=(  I do have his copy of Total Eclipse for the 3DO though.  HA!

I remember this game only being so-so as well.  But play a little bit of the original Famicom Macross game before playing 2036, and 2036  will look pretty sweet.

Tatsujin

FraGMarE

Quote from: Mathius on 09/14/2012, 10:37 PM
Quote from: Tatsujin on 09/14/2012, 10:24 PM

I would have to agree with you here, Tats. Spriggan is the Gate of Thunder of vertical shooties. The only area that Macross trumps Spriggan is in the aformentioned cinemas. :)
Spriggan is the shit.  Compile obeyed, therefore you must obey.  ;)

Bernie

Im looking to get Macross 2036 soon hopefully, as well as the Spriggan games.  Those three have been on my want list for a while now, time to act on it.

PCEngineHell

I'm surprised this thread has gone to 3 pages. I still have not had the time to go back and retry this one yet. I got kinda busy playing other games and just forgot. I guess I will get back to it eventually and give it another go.

Bernie

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 10/04/2012, 07:29 AMI'm surprised this thread has gone to 3 pages. I still have not had the time to go back and retry this one yet. I got kinda busy playing other games and just forgot. I guess I will get back to it eventually and give it another go.
Or...  you can send it to Bernie!!!  :)  lol

Tatsujin

for a nice weekend :) lol

Bernie

Obfuscate

I'd also add hard mode is a good challenge for more serious shooter fans. The normal mode is easy but I think they designed it that way so the average gamer that was a Macross fan could get though the whole story not just hardcore shooter fans. Again, awesome game surprised so many think it's just so-so.

Emerald Rocker

For anyone who has *not* played the game yet, be sure to set it on Hard mode from the start.  It'll make a much better first impression that way.
Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

esteban

Quote from: Emerald Rocker on 10/06/2012, 11:03 PMFor anyone who has *not* played the game yet, be sure to set it on Hard mode from the start.  It'll make a much better first impression that way.
Absolutely. :pcgs:
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG