RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Anyone know anything about SNES repair?

Started by DejahThoris, 10/05/2012, 08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DejahThoris

Mine suddenly went out on me.  Was working great, hadn't used it in a while, bought a PowerPak and returned to my console with new-found passion.  But the PowerPak wouldn't work...  Twice out of ~50 attempts at reseating it booted.  I assumed it was the PowerPak as normal games would boot just fine.  In the past day or so though it's started taking several re-seatings to get normal games to work, and tonight, nothing.  Over half an hour of reseating the cart to no avail, multiple games tried, cleaned both the connector and the carts, still nothing.

Any ideas?

Drakon

Bend pins back, clean them.  I find that with a lot of snes system if I insert the cart all the way and then lift it back up a teeny bit I get a much better connection.
https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/

NightWolve: "I'd say ole XGay fears another relapse, hence the need for strong, daily hetero reinforcement on his desktop. ;)"
Jibbajaba: "The problem with trying to flame Regal is that it's like trying to gut-punch a really fat person."

DejahThoris

Quote from: Drakon on 10/06/2012, 07:07 AMBend pins back, clean them.  I find that with a lot of snes system if I insert the cart all the way and then lift it back up a teeny bit I get a much better connection.
Did that, now most of my games work, PowerPak won't, neither does MMX2.  I don't have any other special chip games, so maybe that's it...

Drakon

Did you try your powerpak / mmx2 in another snes?  You could probe that the cartridge pin connections are connecting to the pcb on the underside.

Quote from: DejahThoris on 10/06/2012, 12:59 PM
Quote from: Drakon on 10/06/2012, 07:07 AMBend pins back, clean them.  I find that with a lot of snes system if I insert the cart all the way and then lift it back up a teeny bit I get a much better connection.
Did that, now most of my games work, PowerPak won't, neither does MMX2.  I don't have any other special chip games, so maybe that's it...
https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/

NightWolve: "I'd say ole XGay fears another relapse, hence the need for strong, daily hetero reinforcement on his desktop. ;)"
Jibbajaba: "The problem with trying to flame Regal is that it's like trying to gut-punch a really fat person."

GohanX

If all else fails, you can try swapping the cart slot. The SNES one doesn't require soldering if I remember correctly.

DejahThoris

Quote from: Drakon on 10/06/2012, 06:35 PMDid you try your powerpak / mmx2 in another snes?  You could probe that the cartridge pin connections are connecting to the pcb on the underside.

Quote from: DejahThoris on 10/06/2012, 12:59 PM
Quote from: Drakon on 10/06/2012, 07:07 AMBend pins back, clean them.  I find that with a lot of snes system if I insert the cart all the way and then lift it back up a teeny bit I get a much better connection.
Did that, now most of my games work, PowerPak won't, neither does MMX2.  I don't have any other special chip games, so maybe that's it...
No other SNES to test on, have one coming in the mail..  And MMX2 worked last week without issue, so I wouldn't assume it's the game.

xcrement5x

Maybe the PCB on the powerpak was thicker than regular SNES games and was just that extra bit to push the pins out a bit too much on your SNES.  You said you already bent the pins back though right?
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

DejahThoris

Quote from: guest on 10/08/2012, 12:45 PMMaybe the PCB on the powerpak was thicker than regular SNES games and was just that extra bit to push the pins out a bit too much on your SNES.  You said you already bent the pins back though right?
Yes.  I've tested a bunch of games, and anything with a special chip doesn't work, anything without does.  No DSP, no Capcom chip (I forget what MMX2's chip is called), no SuperFX, no PowerPak.  But normal games work fine...  Freaking weird...