WTB: AMIGA CDTV stuff NO MORE!

Started by saturndual32, 10/10/2012, 03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saturndual32

Hello,
i am looking for an AMIGA CDTV controller and CD caddy. An depending on the prices, maybe a mouse and keyboard.

PikachuWarrior

is it because of the racketboy article?
IMG

Firebomber7

Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 10/11/2012, 02:46 AMis it because of the racketboy article?
Likely case. RB should stop doing this. He keeps driving prices up.
IMG
IMG
IMG
Wants:
-region/s-video modded PC Engine Duo w/Arcade Card at www. multimods .com
-region modded Super Grafx
-region modded PC Engine original
-PC-FX w/Zenki, Zeroigar, Chip-Chan, Battle Heat, Der Langrisser FX

Will this complete me?

saturndual32

Hello guys. I have no idea about said racketboy article. The thing is that i just bought a pretty cheap CDTV, but it came with no controller and no CD caddy, its just the console, the cables and the disk unit. And now i am gonna have to check that article you guys are talking about, hehe.

PikachuWarrior

IMG

Vecanti

saturndual32

PikachuWarrior

IMG

saturndual32

storino03, its gonna take over a week for the items to arrive, so no photos yet, hehe.

Arkhan Asylum

Fuck the Amiga CDTV.

What a giant piece of shit that thing is!

and screw RacketBoy.  What a dumb article.

Leaving out the obvious, typical, completely ignorant complaints.  Kind of:

QuoteAs a consequence of the above, jumping can be problematic.  Most games from that era didn't need more than 2 buttons, especially platformers which mapped jump to a button. Thus, to get around this limitation, most developers would map the up direction on the joystick to jump. In Great Giana sister, for example, up jumps while the button is used to throw fireballs. For this reason, you may want to track down an Amiga Gravis gamepad, which has up mapped to a button, especially if you've cut your teeth on mainstream consoles. The good games on the CD32 that weren't quick and dirty ports (a few) will spare you the "joy" of pressing up to jump.
Great Giana SISTERS.  There are two of them.  They're sisters.  This sets a great tone for the article when they screw up that. 

QuoteFloppy disks aren't as reliable as carts, and it can be annoying to swap floppies in multi-disk games.
Welcome to computers from the 80s.  This is a dumb point to make, especially considering you can use WHDLoad, which they imply is something you'd want to avoid.  They also don't mention AmiKit.   

QuoteIn some you don't have music, or sound effects, or at least not both simultaneously. Some games will give you the choice of one or the other.
lol.   Citations needed!

QuoteNot a weakness of the hardware, but there were no first- party titles by Commodore, meaning there were not many true "exclusives".
boohoo?   Go play an Amiga game VS. an Apple II game of the same name and tell me it sucks the game isn't exclusive.   That's the point of computers.  Exclusive computer games don't do well.  They go to all available platforms for the widest audience.  It's clear the author doesn't understand how that works.

QuoteThe hardware wasn't 100% standardized. This includes the existence of 32-bit Amiga models and also expanded RAM (a very common upgrade frequently purchased with the machine). Unlike most retro consoles, you can run into incompatibilities.

It's a COMPUTER.   The games aren't the main focus.  Yeah it plays games, but it was a COMPUTER.    Not a console.

What is it with these dumbass retro sites comparing old computers to consoles.   

I can't do word processing on a Sega Genesis, and I can't go on the internet with it either.  That sucks.  What a piece of crap!

QuoteBeyond incompatibilities, some games simply don't try to use the capacities of the hardware (this is more so for the A1200 and CD32 as most games were made to run on the A500).
Oh dang, they didn't program the games for hardware that didn't exist yet.  What idiots!

fuck.

and then:

QuoteThe experience of playing an Amiga may be compared to that of playing a Super NES or Sega Genesis, but due to the above it can tend to be noticeably inferior in many ways. Many games run in small windows that are maybe 70% of the total screen, for example in the upper right corner of the screen.  This screenshot of Shinobi that shows off the black border surrounding the screen.
For fucks sake.  Look at Shadow of the Beast on Amiga vs. Genesis and then tell me this.  What about Agony?  Or Ambermoon/Star?   Might and Magic III?  Flashback?  How about Soccer Boy! That game is wild.

It's clear these guys writing this article are retarded. 

Especially when they go to this point here:

QuoteBasically you may need to temper your expectations. If you go in with an open mind and can tolerate many these flaws, Amiga gaming can pleasantly surprise you. Furthermore, don't let that 32-bit claim of the A1200 or CD32 mislead you, as you're still getting something closer to the Sega Genesis than a Sega Saturn. In terms of the A500 games, in most cases if the game is released on both the genesis and Amiga, the Genesis version is better (at least on the controls). That said, there are some games which are really worth playing and exhibit none of these flaws, but you may have to pay a bit more for those gems.
Yeah. Definitely not capable of anything 3D.
There's also RoboCop.   and a bunch of FPS style games too. 

QuoteFurther, getting into Amiga gaming involves getting around a lot of barriers, particularly outside Europe. Most people will not be willing to do the research or put in the money needed to make playing on an actual Amiga worthwhile. You probably want one of the gamepads, and the good games can go for a premium if boxed and are hard to find outside Europe (see affordability section). When you do wind up with a full setup, it is actually a decent console-like experience. For those that are not purists in terms of hardware, you can also try emulation:
Yeah, no.  I've come across tons of setups and tons of amigas.  The thing was popular here.  There are clubs here, and all kinds of shit.  Morons.  I have a friend who has a Garage full of Amiga loot he's acquired from garage sales, thrift stores, and Craigslist.  None of its imported.

Finally:

No mention of Shadow of the Beast in the top games section, no mention of the great joysticks you can use on the Amiga,

a HILARIOUS import section.  As if anyone needs to import a fucking Amiga.  Holy shit anyone that imports a Euro Amiga to the states is a retard.   You can find a solid Amiga 1200 w/ all the crap needed to enjoy gaming on an Amiga for <400$ stateside.

What a retarded article.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

NecroPhile

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 10/16/2012, 01:31 PMYeah. Definitely not capable of anything 3D.
I'd have to agree with the article, as those don't look anywhere near as good as anything on the Saturn; hell, even Virtua Racing on the Genny looks way better than Stunt Car Racer.

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

SuperDeadite

X68000>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Amiha
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: NecroPhile on 10/17/2012, 10:44 AM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 10/16/2012, 01:31 PMYeah. Definitely not capable of anything 3D.
I'd have to agree with the article, as those don't look anywhere near as good as anything on the Saturn; hell, even Virtua Racing on the Genny looks way better than Stunt Car Racer.
I picked bad examples since I picked games I actually own instead of digging for the other ones on LemonAmiga or some shit.

If you look at something like Breathless or any of the other later games that use the shit out of accelerators, there is some wild stuff on the Amiga.

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

cybercross

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 10/17/2012, 11:11 AMX68000>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Amiha
Agreed. Also - MSX>>>>>>>>>>>>C64

Arkhan Asylum

esteban

Tandy --> trashy MSX, Amiga, X68000, Marty, etc.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG