PC Engine Homebrew News: The duo that brought you FX-Unit Yuki returns! A demo for "Nyanja!" is available, an action platformer akin to games like Bubble Bobble & Snow Bros in gameplay style.
Main Menu

Does this game suck as bad as the first 30 seconds let on?

Started by bob, 03/27/2013, 07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob

If I ever pay the type of money this game commands, please, some of you who have my address, come break my knees and steal my wallet.

/turbo/mc.jpg[/img]

RoyVegas

While it isn't worth anywhere near it's going rate, it surely doesn't suck.  I like to think of it as surely above average but not topping the charts.
All is well. :)

psychobear

Average game play, shit load of money....

tpivette

I thought it was fun, and the music was catchy
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

psychobear

Honestly it's to easy.

bob

Quote from: tpivette on 03/27/2013, 07:49 PMI thought it was fun, and the music was catchy
Interesting, I was playing with no sound when I took the pic.

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: galam on 03/27/2013, 07:54 PM
Quote from: tpivette on 03/27/2013, 07:49 PMI thought it was fun, and the music was catchy
Did you make the plunge and actually buy this?

bob

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 03/27/2013, 07:57 PM
Quote from: galam on 03/27/2013, 07:54 PM
Did you make the plunge and actually buy this?
HAHA!  No.  Wii HomeBrew ROM.

CrackTiger

It's unfortunate that gougers and collectors have influenced the perception of this game for so many people. It was appreciated for the great game it actually is right up until it became bragging rights for video game completionists. If it hadn't suddenly jumped in collector value and perceived rarity artificially and wasn't tied so much to the TG-16 as a trendy and easy to assemble library for set collectors... if both versions had always been as rare and pricey as Sapphire, or if the Turbo version didn't exist, -it wouldn't receive so much unwarranted hate.

It used to be that Turbo fans accepted games for what they are and appreciated so many titles that would be considered mediocre on Genesis or SNES. But now it's cool to rebel against collectors by trashing our own games. I guess it's a "I'm glad I can't have it because I never wanted it in the first place" kind of defensive mentality. Which is too bad, as they're needlessly missing out, since we live in a time today when everyone can buy a flashcard for the price of a regular game and enjoy the same Magical Chase experience as those who own original copies.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

roflmao

Take a moment to get into the game, galam.  It's really quite catchy.  I don't own it; I've only played it via flash hucard, but it's a decent challenge and the graphics they pull off, from a technical standpoint, are pretty impressive for a hucard.  The music will stick to your brain.  Overall, it's a game I'd love to find for what I've spent on most PCE shmups (<$50, usually around $20).  It's a shame it goes for so much these days.

bob

Quote from: guest on 03/27/2013, 08:06 PMIt's unfortunate that gougers and collectors have influenced the perception of this game for so many people. It was appreciated for the great game it actually is right up until it became bragging rights for video game completionists.
I never had any expectations of it, and I agree, it has become that lightning rod within the library.  I just played it for 30 seconds and didn't really enjoy it.  It's probably not so bad in the long run, and frankly, I don't care either way. 
I don't think there is anybody out there that expects this to be $2000 GOOD.

Quote from: guest on 03/27/2013, 08:06 PMIt used to be that Turbo fans accepted games for what they are and appreciated so many titles that would be considered mediocre on Genesis or SNES.
Very well put.  Agree 100%

Quote from: guest on 03/27/2013, 08:06 PMBut now it's cool to rebel against collectors by trashing our own games...
I certainly hope you are not accusing me of this.  If so, please understand, I don't take it that seriously.

Tatsujin

Clearly one of the best hueys out there.

Get the jpn version.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

PunkCryborg

Ive never played it..... some day though but yeah I don't even want to pay the price for the JP copy

SignOfZeta

Oh brother. The channel flipping ROM hater that dismisses an entire game that takes weeks of play to master and required 1000s of hours of development to create after playing it for 30 seconds (with no sound even, in this case).

Lame.

This game is solid, but I'm not sure it's even a top 5 PCE shooter let alone the best. The worst thing that ever could have happened to a real Magical Chase fan was the US release. If it never came out in the US there would be 30 copies of the J version on eBay right now for $12 each. It's value is entirely the result of D-bag bandwagoning bullshit. The people who think this game is worth $1000 have never even opened thier copies of Gate of Thunder or Soldier Blade and have never even heard of Spriggan.

It certainly doesn't suck though. That's just crap.
IMG

SignOfZeta

BTW: this screen shot was aparently taken in stretched mode proving that you don't even have the knowledge to properly operate a television let alone critique a video game, ass.
IMG

nectarsis

Sucks is def a bit harsh, and as a huey it does have some cool "tech"....compared to a lot of the PCe/TG library it's a bit above average, and VERY overhyped IMO.
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

SamIAm

I actually just made it to the final boss in this for the first time last night.

I think it's a pretty charming game. The music, graphics, and of course gameplay are all pretty sophisticated for a Hucard.

I hate to say it, but the US version has better graphics in my opinion.

To whatever degree myth and hoarding have influenced the price, I can understand why this game would have the highest demand among all the late super-low-quantity US released Hucards.

esteban

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 03/27/2013, 09:15 PMIt's value is entirely the result of D-bag bandwagoning bullshit. The people who think this game is worth $1000 have never even opened thier copies of Gate of Thunder or Soldier Blade and have never even heard of Spriggan.
Sadly, true.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Vecanti

You're playing the wrong version that's why. The US version will make you want to sell your car to get a sealed copy that you'll never play again

bob

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 03/27/2013, 09:15 PM...The channel flipping ROM hater...
HA!  I hope you don't mind, I'm going to use this.

Peeps taking this way too seriously.  Title updated.

bob

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 03/27/2013, 09:17 PMBTW: this screen shot was aparently taken in stretched mode proving that you don't even have the knowledge to properly operate a television let alone critique a video game, ass.
It's not a television, ass.

TheClash603

When Rayxanber kicks your ass a whole lot, this game is fun to pop in and play for a bit.  It is easier than most shooters, but it is just hard enough to keep the game interesting.  Very colorful and nice to look at too.

Tatsujin

The japanese version is around 100 to 130 bucks since mid 90s. Actually
it almost never dropped in price since its release, unlike other pce titles.
Same goes for its 5yr special ed.

It only increased a bit in the recent years, but nowehre near
to the amount of its US of A pendant.
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

bob

what is a loose huey even expected to fetch these days?

SignOfZeta

Quote from: galam on 03/27/2013, 09:54 PM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 03/27/2013, 09:17 PMBTW: this screen shot was aparently taken in stretched mode proving that you don't even have the knowledge to properly operate a television let alone critique a video game, ass.
Television, magic lantern, whatever. Unless its a Viewmaster it has a aspect ratio adjustment.

One of these is correct, the other is fucking stupid.

IMG
IMG

bob

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 03/28/2013, 12:05 AM
Quote from: galam on 03/27/2013, 09:54 PM
Television, magic lantern, whatever. Unless its a Viewmaster it has a aspect ratio adjustment.
I have had 6 magic lanterns, and at least 2 of them did NOT have ratio adjustments.

oh, and fixed that for ya...

/turbo/mc2.jpg[/img]

Bernie

lol, dont let Zeta get under your skin..  Think of him as our resident Grumpy Smurf.  :)

bob

Quote from: Bernie on 03/28/2013, 08:20 AMlol, dont let Zeta get under your skin..  Think of him as our resident Grumpy Smurf.  :)
Oh i know.  Hes the kid that sits in a dark corner and pouts when others are having a good time.  I actually find him pretty entertaining.

CGQuarterly

Wait, you only played it for 30 seconds?  I'm not in love with Magical Chase, but it's a decent shooter.  Not worth the money it commands, of course, but it's fun nonetheless.  Give the game an hour or two of time some Friday/Saturday night before you pass judgement on it.

Chris

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Vecanti on 03/27/2013, 09:39 PMYou're playing the wrong version that's why. The US version will make you want to sell your car to get a sealed copy that you'll never play again
Now now, it isn't Laseractive Myst.

With that said, it's a great game and a very fun Cute em up. For gameplay alone it obviously isn't worth its astronomical going rate, but what games would be?

Also, you only played this for 30 seconds, wow. Just wow. You have to give a game a reasonable chance before asking if it sucks.
--DragonmasterDan

NecroPhile

Try spending more time playing the game than you do bitching about it, then maybe I'll care about your opinion.  :P
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

bob

My lord, people.
First off, 30 seconds was an exaggeration.  I probably gave it more like 20 minutes.

Second off, Im the LAST person bitching about anything in this thread.

NecroPhile

So it isn't complaining to say a game sucks and isn't worth what it costs, even though the PCE version (which is what you're playing) can be had for less than the cost of a couple PS3 games that'll be worth pennies in six months?  What exactly then is your point?  It's not like you offered up a serious critique of its merits and faults.

P.S. - A whopping twenty minutes isn't really all that much better than thirty seconds.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

SignOfZeta

Quote from: galam on 03/28/2013, 10:37 AMSecond off, Im the LAST person bitching about anything in this thread.
My God you are full of shit. You started this thread. You are the FIRST person to bitch about it. The very first.
IMG

geise

Don't sweat it galam.  I am not a huge fan of the game but I like it.  No it's not worth what it goes for, but you can't fault the game for that.  Give it a little more of your time and let us know more as to why you don't care for it.  This last part isn't directed at you, but some people need to learn that just because a game might be rare or expensive doesn't mean it's an amazing game.

I also feel thaty if the game wasn't hyped so much you would also get more enjoyment out of it.

Bernie

Kinda gotta agree with em galam..  Gotta give the game more time to form a solid opinion..  :(

bob

Quote from: Bernie on 03/28/2013, 11:36 AMKinda gotta agree with em galam..  Gotta give the game more time to form a solid opinion..  :(
True true, i offered nothing up on WHY i didnt care for it.
My OP was a tongue-in-cheek way of asking if anybody actually liked it. The beginning provided no enjoyment for me, so i guess i was wondering if it gets any better. Some shooties do, some shooties dont.  I certainly didnt intend on getting any members panties in a bunch, but i guess it happens.  Some folks just dont get it.  Oh well.

Quote from: RegalZeta on 03/28/2013, 11:27 AMMy God you are full of shit. You started this thread. You are the FIRST person to bitch about it. The very first.
Go back to your corner and be "dark".

SignOfZeta

I love how your retorts are so completely tangential.

Doesn't understand how to fit a square peg into a rectangular hole: "Its not a TV".

Basically flat out lies about not complaining about the game when he is the one who started this thread with the sole reason being to complain about it: "Go back to your corner."

You understand how dialogue works, right? I mean, I can understand how the way I say things can been seen as rude, it is, really, but that doesn't invalidate my points. Try to use more than the reptile portion of your brain when making posts, please.
IMG

bob

You're sexy

RoyVegas

PCEngineHell

To be honest I didn't give a flying fuck for Magical Chase either myself. Not that I think the game is bad, because it isn't, but it's no Cotton by any means. Magical Chase just does not bring anything new to the table for me, and what it does do well other games do better.

Arkhan Asylum

See Jibbajabba's sig for my opinion on the game.  I think there is another one floating around in someone elses' signature where I say Cotton is better.

I beat MC.  I thought it blew.  It's foofoo eye candy, and Cotton is 100x better.

There are better horizontal shooters for PCE that are like, 6$.  Even if MC was super-cheap, I'd still say it's pretty shitty.

Coryoon and Cotton are where it's at if you want really goony cartoony shooters that go horizontal.

Or Chuka Taisen.   

Or Paranoia. 

These are all better games than MC.    MC just has dumbass eye candy.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Tatsujin

CrackTiger

Quote from: galam on 03/28/2013, 12:18 PM
Quote from: Bernie on 03/28/2013, 11:36 AMKinda gotta agree with em galam..  Gotta give the game more time to form a solid opinion..  :(
True true, i offered nothing up on WHY i didnt care for it.
My OP was a tongue-in-cheek way of asking if anybody actually liked it. The beginning provided no enjoyment for me, so i guess i was wondering if it gets any better. Some shooties do, some shooties dont.  I certainly didnt intend on getting any members panties in a bunch, but i guess it happens.  Some folks just dont get it.  Oh well.

Quote from: RegalZeta on 03/28/2013, 11:27 AMMy God you are full of shit. You started this thread. You are the FIRST person to bitch about it. The very first.
Go back to your corner and be "dark".
Each stage has its own unique feel and you face varying challenges/gameplay throughout the game. The final stage is most similar to the first stage, but the typical boss gauntlet keeps it fun. You get to buy different weapons as you go along and just like Forgotten Worlds, it adds to the replay value experimenting with evetything that it available. Make sure to select at least medium difficulty  or you'll only get to see half the game. You also get bonus points at the end for remaining lives, items, etc. Which makes it fun to push for higher scores.

I don't judge games based on other games. If every game ever made was good, the least good of them wouldn't be bad by default. I don't consider myself a shooter fan, as I've always just taken the genre for granted as a staple. I consider any solid enough shooter to be technically a good game, but I'm more concerned about how enjoyable a particular game is. Magical Chase is a nice fun game, but the aesthetics take it all that much further and really compliment the gameplay. Although tech wise it is very impressive, it's the art, designs, sound and music that tie it all together. Xevious is a game that offers straightforward gameplay in a stale environment without any other motivation to compell you to keep playing. Stuff like shooting Tim Burton's Batman-style kitty blimps who meow with chip sound as spikes jut out of their backs in reaction is very satisfying compared to generic space ships popping with the same explosion and sound effect as every other enemy. Magical Chase is deeper and more varied than Air Zonk, but you rarely see the same kind of negative attitude towards it. It's a real giveaway to how some opinions are influenced when price is mentioned while trashing the game. The price is irrelevant today, just as it has always been in terms of how good or bad it or any game actually is. Way too many opions of Sapphire change to positive and dropped the price excuses once bootlegs became available at affordable prices. Even though playing a bootleg disc is no different than play Magical Chase on a flashcard.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Tatsujin

turbokon

This game doesn't do it for me neither. I just can't get into it. This visual is nice and the music is somewhat catchy but I'll take SSS, BL, soldier blade, gate, lords, sapphire, ray, aero blaster, air zonk, spriggan and a slew of others shooter over this any day.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

RoyVegas

Quote from: turbokon on 03/28/2013, 03:18 PMThis visual is nice and the music is somewhat catchy but I'll take SSS, BL, soldier blade, gate, lords, sapphire, ray, aero blaster, air zonk, spriggan and a slew of others shooter over this any day.
As long as Deep Blue isn't hiding somewhere in that list.

bob

TheClash603

Magical Chase > Cotton

As a matter of fact, I highly dislike any game which you are required to hold a button down that you normally have to press repeatedly.  I don't know why, but it pisses me off.

Mishran

MC and Cotton both bite ass! Falcon and Gunboat FTW!