PC Engine Homebrew News: The duo that brought you FX-Unit Yuki returns! A demo for "Nyanja!" is available, an action platformer akin to games like Bubble Bobble & Snow Bros in gameplay style.
Main Menu

Anybody here ever play Ruin?

Started by ParanoiaDragon, 07/10/2006, 05:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ParanoiaDragon

It's supposed to be an action/RPG, but I've never been able to get out of the first town, to even see how the game plays.  It looks like it might play like Legend of Xanadu, but I could be wrong.  Anybody?
IMG

Seldane

It looks neat. I'd love to try this game out. Is it super rare/expensive?  :lol:
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

grendelrt

Haven't played it but it looks awesome! I know we arent helping, but you have anymore info on it =)

esteban

Never played it. I'm pretty sure I don't own it... the cover kind of reminded me of another title (Brandish? Aurelius? etc.)

But when I saw the screenshots I knew I never played it.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

grahf

I'd love to know if this game is any good. It looks like it from some of the other pics ive seen. More shots: http://www.playright.dk/billeder.php?id=21076

Seldane

Hmm, it looks pretty generic. Just like any other RPG nobody's ever heard about (Neugier, anyone?). This game can't be very good.  :roll:
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

akamichi

Actually, I played this game fairly recently.   Pretty neat, but I didn't play it much after the first town.

Basically, there are two friends as main characters, a boy and a girl.  While cleaning up the house, they find some old treasure map and set off on adventure.  At least that's what I got from it.  :)  Of course there's some back story about some ancient battle between good and evil

From the pics, the game has an overhead view and the action part plays somewhat like Ys... except you actually have an attack button.  IIRC, you play with either character while the other is controlled by the AI.  Not sure if you can play 2 human players though.

It's an interesting game from what I played (very little).  I made it to another town of some sort but that's about it.  

Oh, and to get out of the first town, you have to go to the lower left corner of town.  It's actually a small walkway behind a building.  In the corner, there's a crate.  Then you press I or II (whatever the action button is) and you leave town.  Of course you have to do some stuff before you can leave but I don't exactly remember what.  I think you have to visit the town elder or something.

ParanoiaDragon

Kaminari over at the ME boards replied to my thread there, he's actually beaten it, & said it's a nice but short RPG.  Here's the link to what he said about it http://forums.magicengine.com/en/viewtopic.php?p=10615#10615
IMG

Keranu

I haven't really heard much of this game before, I only briefly recall seeing a screenshot for it. Anyway, thanks for reminding me of this game because it looks interesting and neat.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

CrackTiger

It looks like Lagoon SNES.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

PunkCryborg

I just got this one and popped it in. With the help of these walkthroughs Ive gone through a couple parts and it's quite nice so far.
http://www.unlimitedzigworks.com/2411/faq-ruin-kami-no-isan-pc-engine.html
http://www.geocities.co.jp/HeartLand-Suzuran/9038/Ruin/pce_kouryaku33.html < I used google translate for this

The action scenes are cool but the menu screens are taking a bit of trial and error to get through.
Anyone play this recently?

Arkhan Asylum

Yea I beat that a few months ago.   It's pretty awesome.    The presentation is excellent.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

grahf

I think I'll pick this up finally!  Apparently, if my long lost post above is to be believed, I was interested in this game in 2006.

Punkic, post a picture of the menu screens and I'll translate them for you.

Tatsujin

be careful with that ruin eugene.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

PunkCryborg

Quote from: grahf on 05/01/2013, 10:39 PMI think I'll pick this up finally!  Apparently, if my long lost post above is to be believed, I was interested in this game in 2006.

Punkic, post a picture of the menu screens and I'll translate them for you.
Awesome grahf! I've actually come a long way in the game thanks to a playthrough I found on nicovideo that helped me figure out the menus. I am actually stuck on a boss though and I think this menu which I cant completely figure out will help me. I believe this changes how the other characters attack or heal and use magic but I'm not sure. I appreciate it if you can help me out though! The top row of the bottom screen is their names but along the left hand side If I knew what that said that'd help me a bunch.
/20130502015524.jpg

Emerald Rocker

Those bars control how often they use physical attacks or magic.  Based on that pic, you've got each character set exactly how you want them to be set.

Which boss?  It's been a while, but I'll try to remember what I did (and I also saved screens, so I can compare what level I was at when I played through).  All of the bosses except the last bastard have a pattern that can be exploited, and some of them even have a cheap trick that can be abused.
Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

grahf

Yeah, what he said.

On the left you have:
攻撃 (offensive/attack)
魔法 (magic)

On the right, you have:
集まれ (gather together)
作戦 (tactics)

PunkCryborg

This is the one I got stuck at
/20130502125358.jpg
I messaged gbaplayer though who recently beat it. I didn't realize holding down I will heal with your magic so that might help. The flames from this boss are such a pain, one or two hits and your dead.
Anyone know if there is a way to use your items when in a boss battle? The menu is disabled but can they be assigned to a button by any chance?

edit- yeah just beat it, I just kept healing my buddies and they did the dirty work on this one. Super cheesy but trying to get an attack in over and over and dying was getting old