@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Todays kids reacting to the original Game Boy

Started by Otaking, 07/07/2014, 12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Otaking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

Psycho Punch

At my young days I was really into older technology... look at the stupidity of the upcoming generation who has a huge knowledge database at their fingertips, at home, who don't bother to search for anything except facebook and minecraft. I'm not saying that every brat should know about the Gayme Boy but hell they don't even know what's a diskette in other episodes. (i.e. the motherfucking save icon from every application ever made)
GOOGLE THE SHIT OUT OF THAT WEIRD OLD STUFF instead of dismissing as "old x who is like modern device y but shittier and I don't give a damn about it"
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

Opethian

I don't give a shit about Atari and it was before my time. An endless cycle of hatred.

oh and Ill never understand the appeal of minecraft or world of warcraft.

kids only know what is marketed towards them.
IMG

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: Psycho Punch on 07/07/2014, 12:42 PMAt my young days I was really into older technology... look at the stupidity of the upcoming generation who has a huge knowledge database at their fingertips, at home, who don't bother to search for anything except facebook and minecraft. I'm not saying that every brat should know about the Gayme Boy but hell they don't even know what's a diskette in other episodes. (i.e. the motherfucking save icon from every application ever made)
GOOGLE THE SHIT OUT OF THAT WEIRD OLD STUFF instead of dismissing as "old x who is like modern device y but shittier and I don't give a damn about it"
Let's face it: kids today are terrible people.

HailingTheThings

IMG

NecroPhile

I like the disgust from a couple kids when asked what it is: "it's a gameboy; it says it right here!"
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

toktogul

i like how the fat kid thought he had to pile up the block to the top to win ! hahah

I have a daughter now, and i'll make goddamn sure that she is well educAted when it comes to video game history! afterall, she is half japanese, its a part of her culture ;)

TheClash603

I get the same thing from my girlfriend when I try to make her listen to any music or watch any movie pre-late 1980s.

I think that people who are educated/seek knowledge embrace the past, to help better understand the present and what to expect in the future.  However, ignorance is bliss, and it is a lot easier just disregarding everything except what's new.

Psycho Punch

Quote from: Opethian on 07/07/2014, 04:18 PMI don't give a shit about Atari and it was before my time. An endless cycle of hatred.

I don't say kids today are shittier because of lack of interest in old videogames Ope, maybe I didn't get my point across (I'm an awful writer) but what I meant is that this generation seems to have zero curiosity about any topic despite having knowledge in an Alexandria+ scale at their fingertips anytime, anywhere. Dammit that pisses me off. It seems that nothing is remotely interesting besides texting on facebook or listening to shitty pop songs for them.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!

HailingTheThings

This should be all kids' initial reaction:

IMG

Followed by:

IMG
IMG

esteban

Quote from: Opethian on 07/07/2014, 04:18 PMI don't give a shit about Atari and it was before my time. An endless cycle of hatred.

Starcraft, WoW and Pokemon can suck my left one.

Play KABOOM! on Atari 2600 tomorrow (I'll lend you some paddles)
and you'll be a happier person.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

HailingTheThings

Quote from: esteban on 07/10/2014, 12:05 AMsomething something something KABOOM! on Atari 2600
Looks cool ish err something?
IMG

Psycho Punch

Quote from: esteban on 07/10/2014, 12:05 AM

Starcraft, WoW and Pokemon can suck my left one.

Play Beat'em & Eat'em on Atari 2600 tomorrow (I'll lend you some paddles)
and you'll be a happier person.

esteban

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 07/10/2014, 12:27 AM
Quote from: esteban on 07/10/2014, 12:05 AMsomething something something KABOOM! on Atari 2600
Looks nothing.

Fun as hell classic with a paddle.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

VenomMacbeth

An OG Game Boy may very well be the first game console my child gets.
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

Arkhan Asylum

The kid that says its old and there wont be any amazing games on it needs to have his cock smashed in.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Tatsujin

now that was lame and obviously set up.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

HailingTheThings

Quote from: esteban on 07/10/2014, 09:07 AM
Looks nothing.

Fine!!! lol
IMG

xcrement5x

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 07/10/2014, 05:02 PMAn OG Game Boy may very well be the first game console my child gets.
I'd give them a Game Boy Pocket since I can imagine holding a huge original DMG might be a bit hard for a really small kiddo ;)
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 07/10/2014, 07:35 PMThe kid that says its old and there wont be any amazing games on it needs to have his cock smashed in.
Might hard to do what with his balls not having droped yet lol

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: guest on 07/11/2014, 10:23 AM
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 07/10/2014, 05:02 PMAn OG Game Boy may very well be the first game console my child gets.
I'd give them a Game Boy Pocket since I can imagine holding a huge original DMG might be a bit hard for a really small kiddo ;)
Gameboy advance LT all the way. Why? Those things were built to take punishment. Over engineered indeed.

bob

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 07/13/2014, 11:04 AM
Quote from: guest on 07/11/2014, 10:23 AM
Gameboy advance LT all the way. Why? Those things were built to take punishment. Over engineered indeed.
You mean the SP, right?  I never heard of an LT.
Unless this was just a pun on the PCE.

bartre

you know what was built for punishment? the Sega Genesis.
i have seen exactly 1 not work.
that was because it had a shelf collapse on it and it was physically cracked

sorry pce, but in the event of me ending up responsible for children, they will be playing sega genesis.

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

CrackTiger

Quote from: bartre on 07/13/2014, 12:16 PMyou know what was built for punishment? the Sega Genesis.
i have seen exactly 1 not work.
that was because it had a shelf collapse on it and it was physically cracked

sorry pce, but in the event of me ending up responsible for children, they will be playing sega genesis.
I've come across at least couple dozen broken Genesis systems and most SNES systems I've bought used have had misc problems. My only working one right now has a huge crack across the top.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

BlueBMW

I've got a few good condition non yellowed SNES shells if you want one Black Tiger
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Ratix

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 07/11/2014, 03:33 AM
Quote from: esteban on 07/10/2014, 09:07 AM
Looks nothing.

Fine!!! lol
lets not forget 4 player warlords and video olympics such win with those 3 games alone.

my initial thoughts were what the kids said about walking around with batteries. The original life of the gameboy was up to 10 hours or more. kids have the struggle about waiting for the sob to charge up. yes having to walk around with batteries could be a bitch but replacing them was easy as hell. god save us all if they were introduced to the game gear and genesis nomad. i'd probably cry about what they would say about it. although they do seem to have that one nerdy kid who knows his shit.
IMG

KGD

My son is around retro consoles quite a bit. He recently found my Gameboy Color with Pokémon Blue in it. He really wanted to play the game (was ecstatic, in fact), but complained right off the bat that he couldn't see anything and put it down after 1 minute. Absolutely no persistence. When you had one game, one console and all the time in the world, you explored. Now you have an infinity of games and you don't play anything anymore.

johnnymad

I like the one that realized that other innovations in technology wouldn't have happened without something like it. Amazing that some kids can pick up on things like that.

TheClash603

Quote from: KGD on 07/24/2014, 04:01 PMMy son is around retro consoles quite a bit. He recently found my Gameboy Color with Pokémon Blue in it. He really wanted to play the game (was ecstatic, in fact), but complained right off the bat that he couldn't see anything and put it down after 1 minute. Absolutely no persistence. When you had one game, one console and all the time in the world, you explored. Now you have an infinity of games and you don't play anything anymore.
This is very insightful.  I do find myself overwhelmed sometimes by the sheer amount of stuff there is available to me.  Between the retro games I own, the new game systems, TV with 200 channels, phones with unlimited apps, internet with unlimited information, etc.

I wonder if I were to be a kid in the 2010s, rather than the 1980s, if I would have the same appreciation for things that I do now.  I feel like an old bastard, but "back in my day we had a few new games a year, and we were happy with them."

Makes me nostalgic for the days of shared experiences.  When there were three TV channels, everyone watched the same shows.  There was a time when baseball was America's game.  A few new movies came out a month and that was all there was to watch.  Part of why the fabric of this nation is becoming unwound is that there isn't really a shared identity anymore.  You have 300 million people doing their own things and no one knows or cares about what anyone else is doing.  There's a really good book Bowling Alone that I recommend people read, basically talks about the falling apart of a communal society.

Sorry for the rant and off topic, that post had a mind of its own.

Alt-Nintega

why should a kid these days know what a 30 year old system is? When you were a kid, did you know what kind of toys were 30 years ago? Kids in the 80's did not know most of the toys from the 50's.

Cya bud

TheClash603

Quote from: Psycho Alt-Nintega on 07/27/2014, 11:46 PMwhy should a kid these days know what a 30 year old system is? When you were a kid, did you know what kind of toys were 30 years ago? Kids in the 80's did not know most of the toys from the 50's.

Cya bud
You are talking to the guy that just posted my I watched Chaplin's Modern Times in the movie thread.  I have a strong interest for old media and technology and an appreciation for these things when you take them in context of their time.  I love old pinball machines and even arcade racers which use a projection light for a track, because these things help to show the evolution of the medium.

There are a lot of people who only care about what's new, and to each their own, but most of those people don't hang out on a retro gaming forum.

FiftyQuid

I know what toys and games my Dad had back in the 50's.  I know because he constantly reminds me about the Babe Ruth baseball cards he put in the spokes of his bicycle and the Superman #1 issue his mother threw out on him.
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

MrFulci

Quote from: TheClash603 on 07/27/2014, 11:29 PM
Quote from: KGD on 07/24/2014, 04:01 PMMy son is around retro consoles quite a bit. He recently found my Gameboy Color with Pokémon Blue in it. He really wanted to play the game (was ecstatic, in fact), but complained right off the bat that he couldn't see anything and put it down after 1 minute. Absolutely no persistence. When you had one game, one console and all the time in the world, you explored. Now you have an infinity of games and you don't play anything anymore.
This is very insightful.  I do find myself overwhelmed sometimes by the sheer amount of stuff there is available to me.  Between the retro games I own, the new game systems, TV with 200 channels, phones with unlimited apps, internet with unlimited information, etc.

I wonder if I were to be a kid in the 2010s, rather than the 1980s, if I would have the same appreciation for things that I do now.  I feel like an old bastard, but "back in my day we had a few new games a year, and we were happy with them."

Makes me nostalgic for the days of shared experiences.  When there were three TV channels, everyone watched the same shows.  There was a time when baseball was America's game.  A few new movies came out a month and that was all there was to watch.  Part of why the fabric of this nation is becoming unwound is that there isn't really a shared identity anymore.  You have 300 million people doing their own things and no one knows or cares about what anyone else is doing.  There's a really good book Bowling Alone that I recommend people read, basically talks about the falling apart of a communal society.

Sorry for the rant and off topic, that post had a mind of its own.
I think part of it is the amount of stuff out there now, and how quick and easy it is to access. Though, even in the 90's, I did visit IHOR and such, I never got too into it because I think all I had to play with was a gravis gamepad and Nesticle, I still preferred the actual hardware. Still, there are some younger people interested in the older stuff.

Older people can be similar, I've met some that refuse to play anything from when they grew up, because the graphics bother them.

Myself, there is so much out there, and so much time, I can only add so much to it. Also, newer games seem to be more like interactive movie/stories. Not much strategy to them.

I have enough to keep me busy, when I have the time. No problem with some of the newer stuff, but I know what I like, much like some of these younger kids know what they like.

For short games of fun, I had lots of fun, up through the end of the 90's with someone and an Atari 2600. If we wanted some quick gaming, we'd play Warlords (Mentioned here), maze craze (I think that had the 2 player option where the other player tried to catch you), Combat, air sea battle, and so on. Good games, that we could kill 10 minutes with while waiting for a ride someplace, a television show to air, whatever.

Ernest Borgnine said it best, nearly 15 years ago. Pac-man video games..

BASEketball: You Kids With Your Loud Music

"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

roflmao

When I was a kid I played with toys that my Dad grew up with. We still have a bunch of his HO scale trains and buildings and a bunch more that I acquired/built when I was a kid.  Now my son (who's 6) is crazy into trains and we're building a train room that will have 3 generations of train stuff.  That's pretty awesome in my book.

As far as older consoles, my little one isn't much into the Game Boy, but he loves playing one of the Pokemon games on the GBA.  That didn't surprise me, though because he's played a lot of Obey and SNES over the years.

cr8zykuban0

kids these days will never know how awesome the Gameboy truly was! I remember seeing a teens react to video about the nes. they looked at it like it was from another planet lol

slinkyturd

Seriously, Fuck kids today!

...figuratively.
70/95 US Turbochips

o.pwuaioc

removed

cr8zykuban0

Quote from: slinkyturd on 09/21/2014, 03:43 AMSeriously, Fuck kids today!

...figuratively.
lol then again cant really blame them for not liking the older systems if they're not wxposed to it at a young age. ill be sure to do that when I have kids. 

they ask to play ps4.
no kids, today we are playing the pc engine!