RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Let's Talk About the Awesomeness Bloody Wolf

Started by jlued686, 08/11/2014, 11:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlued686

Seriously, I think this game gets overlooked when we talk about the best titles released for the TurboGrafx-16. So I'm gonna break down my case for why Bloody Wolf deserves to be held up there with the elite games for our beloved system...

IMG

First of all, that name: Bloody-motherfuckin'-Wolf! It just screams, "BAD ASS!" And look at our protagonists: Eagle and Snake. Sure, you can create your own "Code Name", but why would you? EAGLE or SNAKE, bitches! Sure, one might say, "This game would be better with two players." Pfft. Each one of these guys is worth like, I don't know, ten Rambos. Leave your pussy co-op shit on the NES. Real gamers fly solo.

IMG

So anyway, your mission brief is straight and to the point: rescue the God-damned president. Now. No talking about feelings or how achieving your mission is of the utmost importance to national security. Eagle/Snake doesn't need nuance. Eagle/Snake just wants to kick some enemy-of-unspecified-origin ass.

Level 1: Shooting motherfuckers. Look at these bitches...
IMG
"Oh no! I've been shot in the gut!" That's what you get for fucking with our president, assholes!

Don't wanna get shot?
IMG
Here, let me stab your ass!

Or how about I just hop on my sweet-ass motorcycle and run your punk-ass down?
IMG

Shit's so intense, that by the end of this Stage, you're taking down a god damned submarine! Take that, nameless enemies! I'm Snake/Eagle!

Stage 2: Death from above!

IMG

Snake/Eagle just jumps from a chopper and immediately starts lobbing grenades at these cocksucking pussies who are hiding behind logs and rocks. And because no man gets left behind, Snake/Eagle is more than happy to shimmy up a tree to rescue a POW and get a pair of fins for his trouble. Time for a swim!

And after dropping from a chopper, Snake/Eagle takes down an enemy chopper! BADASS!

Stage 3: Up the mountain, shooting more bitches!

Nothing can stop Snake/Eagle. Not even falling boulders or some big, oiled up fuck with a bazooka. I mean, just look at these dumb assholes jumping off the bridge.

IMG
Suicide is preferable to facing the wrath of Snake/Eagle!

Stage 4: Face-off.

I'm just gonna say this: you think you can beat Snake/Eagle by taking away his gun? You dumb bastard.

Stage 5: POW camp.

Rambo ain't got shit on Snake/Eagle. Stabbing, burning, shooting, and blowing up enemy/terrorist/whatever a-holes takes a back seat to rescuing our brave men in captivity. You're humming the Battle Hymn of the Republic right now, aren't you?

IMG

Stage 6: Nothing like a leisurely float downstream, shooting fools from a raft.
IMG

followed by...what's this?! A giant fucking tank?! Where's my rocket launcher?

Stage 7: Seriously, after all the shit Snake/Eagle's been put through, you seriously think he can be stopped by some jerkoff in a wooden boat?

And finally, Stage 8: The enemy base. Tanks, and some crazy bastard holding hostages.
IMG

I almost forgot to mention: MOTHERFUCKING LASERS!!!

IMG

There's so much more, the soundtrack, the awesome sound effects, but you get the idea. This game is the ultimate in bad-assery. Naysayers might chime in with, "But what about the slowdown?" The answer is simple: the game appears to slow down, but what it's really doing is going into slo-mo so you, the simple-minded gamer, can fully process all the awesomeness without having your mind blown.

And...DISCUSS!

MrFulci

Wow, good job,

I said before, when I recently reappeared here, this is the game that solidified, "I Must get a Turbo Grafx 16". I played 2 player at a guy's house who had the system, and this game, and, it was good fun. There is variation in the stages. Not similar to Ikari Warriors, but yeah, I like Ikari Warriors.

Yes, Splatterhouse, Legenedary axe, all Cool, but 2 player this...

I bought this game, before I had a system to play it on. That's the "awesomist" I feel towards it..

Bloody Wolf, bitches.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

LostFlunky

I have never really gotten into this game, but after reading your argument for, I am intending to revisit the game in the near future.  (as soon as slake my thirst for Devil's Crush...)

Can I have an audio version of the above to play on cue at each level?

Dicer

It's not slow down, it's BULLET TIME...

NightWolve

Hey, how about that...when's the last time we got an awesome review like this ?  =D>

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=17206.msg358433#msg358433
IMG

Along the theme of the awesomeness of Bloody Wolf, it's why I'm a Turbo fan in the first place. Seeing that newspaper clipping above of Eagle and Snake in a copy of the Chicago Sun Times when I was kid is what caught my attention and led me to enter the contest that won me a TurboGrafx-16 system, a copy of the game, along with Keith Courage. If I had not won that contest, I really would not be a fan of the system today, an Ys fan, and Ys IV and Xak III would not have been fan-translated (or possibly years later)!! This Bloody Wolf-based newspaper contest really did start it all off for me, and I did enjoy playing the game many times when I had it, so it can be credited for many things!

MrFulci

Quote from: NightWolve on 08/11/2014, 11:39 AMHey, how about that...when's the last time we got an awesome review like this ?  =D>

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=17206.msg358433#msg358433
IMG

Along the theme of the awesomeness of Bloody Wolf, it's why I'm a Turbo fan in the first place. Seeing that newspaper clipping above of Eagle and Snake in a copy of the Chicago Sun Times when I was kid is what caught my attention and led me to enter the contest that won me a TurboGrafx-16 system, a copy of the game, along with Keith Courage. If I had not won that contest, I really would not be a fan of the system today, an Ys fan, and Ys IV and Xak III would not have been fan-translated (or possibly years later)!! This Bloody Wolf-based newspaper contest really did start it all off for me, and I did enjoy playing the game many times when I had it, so it can be credited for many things!
I recall seeing your post about this. Could be similar how this guy ended up with the game.

Cool you saved the clipping from this, though. It's unique. The TG-16 had a somewhat heavy push on parts of the East Coast, also.

Anyway, now I need to make sure in the next month or so I get out Bloody Wolf and play it through again. it's been years. Ikari Warriors, also.

*edited to add.

Sometime I may post my Bloody Wolf mug here. It was not as disposable as this clipping, so not as unique, but still, not so common!
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

jlued686

Bloody Wolf is so awesome, in my excitement I forgot to put the word "of" in the thread title!

MrFulci

Quote from: Dicer on 08/11/2014, 11:30 AMIt's not slow down, it's BULLET TIME...
Your avatar reminded me, Air Zonk has lots of, "Bullet Time", also :)

NecroPhile

I don't dislike Bloody Wolf, but it doesn't get me terribly excited either.  Had I picked it up back in the day instead of more recent times, I'd probably have spent a lot more time with it and consequently like it more.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

LostFlunky

Quote from: guest on 08/11/2014, 12:00 PMBloody Wolf is so awesome, in my excitement I forgot to put the word "of" in the thread title!
So, according to you, Bloody Wolf doesn't contain awesomeness, Bloody Wolf is awesomeness?

Your title should read:

"Let's Talk About the Awesomeness, Bloody Wolf"

MrFulci

Quote from: Lost Monkey on 08/11/2014, 12:22 PM
Quote from: guest on 08/11/2014, 12:00 PMBloody Wolf is so awesome, in my excitement I forgot to put the word "of" in the thread title!
So, according to you, Bloody Wolf doesn't contain awesomeness, Bloody Wolf is awesomeness?

Your title should read:

"Let's Talk About the Awesomeness, Bloody Wolf"
Yes, you are correct LM, only the comma is missing. This is why authors have proof readers, and don't leave that shit to their self.

MrFlutterPie

I love Bloody Wolf! 

It was one of my first games I ever got.  I love how the enemies guts explode and bleed out when they are shot.  I just wished there was a scream sound effect when they got hit. 

Fantastic review!

NightWolve

Quote from: MrFlutterPie on 08/11/2014, 12:45 PMFantastic review!
It's in a Team America "F*ck Yeah!" style that just took me by surprise to run into around here!

LostFlunky

I was shocked at how much ass this game kicks...

/thelostmonkey/Bloody_Wolf_TG16_02_zpsc8de111d.png

Gentlegamer

My recent play through was stalled by a glitch late in the game.

I'm still waiting for my refurbished copy back from TTI.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

MrFulci

Quote from: guest on 08/11/2014, 04:42 PM
Quote from: MrFlutterPie on 08/11/2014, 12:45 PMI love how the enemies guts explode and bleed out when they are shot.  I just wished there was a scream sound effect when they got hit.
Yeah, like the sample from Gunboat!  Man that sound...

In other news, I tried really hard to love this game, but in the end I found I don't even like it that much.

^^Every time I say that, I vow to give it another chance.  Guess I know what I'll be doing later if the kids go to sleep before I do.
It's an age thing, I guess? Also, a taste for certain games.  Like me talking about other things... maybe MF had to hit the right age, etc... NecroPhile mumbled about that.

I loved it. I have good memories with that game, 2 player, and also, single player!

It can get old, but, there is nothing quite like it on TG-16.

Gentlegamer

Quote from: MrFlutterPie on 08/11/2014, 12:45 PMIt was one of my first games I ever got.  I love how the enemies guts explode and bleed out when they are shot.  I just wished there was a scream sound effect when they got hit. 
They do scream in the coin-op original, and it's super annoying.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

MrFulci

Quote from: guest on 08/11/2014, 04:51 PM
Quote from: MrFulci on 08/11/2014, 04:47 PM
Quote from: guest on 08/11/2014, 04:42 PM
Quote from: MrFlutterPie on 08/11/2014, 12:45 PMI love how the enemies guts explode and bleed out when they are shot.  I just wished there was a scream sound effect when they got hit.
Yeah, like the sample from Gunboat!  Man that sound...

In other news, I tried really hard to love this game, but in the end I found I don't even like it that much.

^^Every time I say that, I vow to give it another chance.  Guess I know what I'll be doing later if the kids go to sleep before I do.
It's an age thing, I guess? Also, a taste for certain games.  Like me talking about other things... maybe MF had to hit the right age, etc... NecroPhile mumbled about that.

I loved it. I have good memories with that game, 2 player, and also, single player!

It can get old, but, there is nothing quite like it on TG-16.

Fixed. (:

I always wanted it back when the turbob was new (i'm almost 35, btw, not a young'n who grew up on PS2 or anything), but never picked it up.  Maybe I'd like it more if I had played it back then. *shrug*
Nulltard, mid 30s here also, I think I'd like snots a bit better also, if I pet him  when I was younger;
*edited to add;

Oh that 2 player stuff. That was easier I was younger. I played 2 player, before I ever played single. I probably played Ikari warrior more, or the same amount, 2 player, also. It seems nowadays, I may have to travel to the next TG-16 geek-out for that. I may make plans for the next one, Bloody Wolf part of the plan.

MrFulci

Quote from: guest on 08/11/2014, 05:16 PM2 player Bloody Wolf as in sitting next to a homie who is also playing Bloody Wolf on a separate TurboGrafx on a separate TV? :lol:
C'mon nully, we're not talking FPS here!

It falls under how I like how common it used to be to sit or stand next to a player on a 2D fighter!

*edited to add - without the snots on the controller, though....

MrFulci

Quote from: guest on 08/11/2014, 05:24 PM
Quote from: MrFulci on 08/11/2014, 05:21 PMIt falls under how I like how common it used to be to sit or stand next to a player on a 2D fighter!
Ah, OK. I thought you were insisting that Bloody Wolf was 2-player. :lol:
\

It was, wasn't it?

Stop fucking with me, I don't have access to prove myself wrong, just now...

I know I played 2 player on it...

Looked it up, must've been we took turns, and played 2 player on Ikari.

Fuck manual purgatory... not important since I dragged out box of games.

NecroPhile

Bloody Wolf is single player only on the console.  The arcade version, however, is two player.

MrFulci

OK, I am getting old, too many years without multiplayer TG-16 games, fallibility of memory...

Alzheimer's ?

MrFulci

boxes are shit

MrFulci

NecroPhile

Instead of triple posting, try using the edit button.

Have you recently fallen down a flight of steps or otherwise suffered head trauma?

MrFulci

I'm getting there. Maybe it was arcade I thought of use playing on the same screen! I still know BW sold the TG-16 system, to me.

I spent 30 minutes on stage 6 of Splatterhouse on Saturday. It had been too long! Maybe that's a sign!

I just hope, my TG-16 stuff, depending on my future, finds a good home! :0

Yes, I keep instruction manuals outside of cases, since removing them can destroy the cover art (I = retarded).

MrFulci

Quote from: guest on 08/11/2014, 06:01 PMInstead of triple posting, try using the edit button.

Have you recently fallen down a flight of steps or otherwise suffered head trauma?
I edited my posts, NecroPhile. But yeah, I'm not as all together as I was years ago.

I had to dig a bit to make sure my memory wasn't too far off. That's all those multiple postings were.

NecroPhile

MrFlutterPie

I just looked up the arcade version of Bloody Wolf.  The Turbo port was extremely well done.   Not as much difference as I would have thought.

I agree about all the guys screaming "uh, uh"  I would have preferred to be more of a scream scream then a weird grunting sound effect.

MrFulci

It's cool, NecroPhile, my mixing up some Ikari Warriors, and Bloody Wolf? 2 player, on screen, simultaneous, myself, mixing up things so bad?

I don't forget that far back, early in this thread I talk about Ikari Warriors.

Open your mind....

MrFulci

My memory has been going, since about a decade since certain TG-16 games, a different direction. I was curious if my BW mug still had it's handle; All OK,, it seems; I still feel retared, mixing up  player BW, Ikari Warriors, etc.

Wow, that mug is still there. Dusty, though!

IMG
IMG

johnnymad

Eager to play this one when my Everdrive gets here.

Sadler

Bloody Wolf is awesome. Loved it back then, love it now. Another game I think is just as awesome and doesn't get near enough love is Last Alert.

NightWolve

Quote from: Sadler on 08/11/2014, 07:26 PMAnother game I think is just as awesome and doesn't get near enough love is Last Alert.
Oh, it does, but more so for its legendary voice-acting work. ;)

The Great Performances: Last Alert

EvilEvoIX

Amazing game and I love it very much.  Nothing I don't like and I have beaten it.  What a rush.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

Sadler

Quote from: NightWolve on 08/11/2014, 08:01 PM
Quote from: Sadler on 08/11/2014, 07:26 PMAnother game I think is just as awesome and doesn't get near enough love is Last Alert.
Oh, it does, but more so for its legendary voice-acting work. ;)

The Great Performances: Last Alert
:lol: Yep! The cut scene hilarity combined with pretty solid game play make this one of my favorites. :D

Final Zone II hasn't ever clicked with me, but I really haven't given it a fair chance.

PunkCryborg

I loved playing this one but man the last boss is a total beeyotch!

DeshDildo

Quote from: Sadler on 08/11/2014, 07:26 PMBloody Wolf is awesome. Loved it back then, love it now. Another game I think is just as awesome and doesn't get near enough love is Last Alert.
A man after man own heart.  I LOVE Bloody Wolf but Guy Kazama could kick either one of these pussy's asses.

In all seriousness I am a huge run and gun fan.  Bloody Wolf is simply badass for a game of it's time.  Last Alert gets a slight edge in my book for these reasons:
1.) Best voice acting of all time
2.) Kickass soundtrack that gets you pumped up to kill and blow shit up
3.) Amazing controls
4.) Guy Kafuckingzama!  I mean he's like a ninja that would rather dish out hot lead and blow shit up.

Anyways, this is one of the best game reviews I've ever read.  'Merica FUCK YEAH!
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

HailingTheThings

This game reminds me of that SNK game POW on NES, which is probably why I remember liking it.
IMG

Phase

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 08/11/2014, 10:28 PMThis game reminds me of that SNK game POW on NES, which is probably why I remember liking it.
+1 on pow nes, got to get this game at someday ..go!

IMG

Whats with the general he looks like a high.. zombie.. psycho maniac.
Don't worry though according to his battle plan, he is planning to leave the planet soon.

TurboXray

JoshTurboTrollX

Bloody Wolf is a great time.  I grew up playing games like Mercs and Ikari in the 'cades, so seeing Bloody Wolf and Last Alert on the Turbo were an easy purchase for me.  I always looked at the run 'n gun genre like Contra and Gunstar Heroes were top banana, but every time I play through Bloody Wolf I realize I love it more and more.  If it was 2 player co-op it would probably be in my top 5 Turbob games.

Fun Side note: A while back I remember posting in a "What is your favorite "Soldier" game on OBEY" thread saying [Last Alert and Bloody Wolf] not realizing the "Soldier" being referenced was actually the shoot 'em up series and not just games with soldiers in them... LOL
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

NecroPhile

Quote from: MrFulci on 08/11/2014, 06:44 PMNecroPhile, my memory has been going, since about a decade since certain TG-16 games, a different direction. I was curious if my BW mug still had it's handle; All OK,, it seems; I still feel retared, mixing up  player BW, Ikari Warriors, etc.
I'm not talking about you being mistaken about it being two player, as that's just a simple mistake.  There's no excuse, however, for repeated double and triple posts within minutes, covering the same topic, and responding to the same person; nor is there an apparent reason for half your posts being nonsensical and ending with extra carriage returns and an errant period.  Have you been checked for a concussion lately?  Perhaps a tumor?

MrFulci

Sometime I'll load Bloody Wolf again, now I recall at one point the characters swap, and you rescue the other, or something. The last time I played BW was 2007 or 2008.

I think I might remember the 2 player from the arcade. When I sat and played this game on a TG-16 at a guy's house in early-mid 90s, we must have swapped after each life, we beat the game together, both in front of the TV, I recall that.

This thread also remind me,. the last time I played TG-16 with another person was either 2004 or 2005!

NecroPhile, concerning silly postings, don't take forums, like this, too seriously. Don't be so grumpy. :)

escarioth

wow, i didnt know that tiltle yet, you just sold it to me ! 8)
US Hucards     :  86/94 (1 repro)
US CD-games  : 40/44 (3 repros)
total complete with boxes 54/111

slinkyturd

I wrote a review for this game a few years back on ebay after I had re-bought it:

One of the crown jewels of the turbo grafx system. It's simplistic enough in game play that you don't need the manual to play it. Think NES Contra only better graphics, better music, and you actually can beat this game.
It reeks of manliness too. The dude on the front is quietly saying, "Buy me or I'll take your manhood."

I thoroughly enjoyed the review on page one. Got the warm fuzzies in me right now cause I know some of you enjoy killing and blowing shit up as much as I do...others of you, I imaging live in a world similar to boxy boy or some communist country.
70/95 US Turbochips

MrFulci

It actually turns out, all the mention of Ikari Warriors I made here, should instead read, "Guerilla War" on the NES. I confused those 2 NES titles :). I had to look at my box of NES games, and then realize looking at the cart art it was Guerilla War I was mostly thinking of, not Ikari Warriors.

Guerilla War and Bloody Wolf are very similar to me, but Guerilla War has 2 players at the same time on the NES console. Bloody Wolf 2 player in the arcade. Years since I played certain games. Trying to remember stuff from 20+ years ago. It's explaining my confusion.

I guess it's a good thing I dug out my games, I need to refresh my memory on some stuff.

So far this year, my TG-16 has only played one game; Splatterhouse. Last year, I only played, Bomberman, Bomberman 93, and Cadash. I beat all 3 of them again, for the first time in 5-8 years. On Monday I should have instead been goofing off with Bloody Wolf instead of so much here!

slinkyturd

Guerrilla war requires far more continues than bloody wolf. lol I remember getting that and POW from my cousins. Both I have fond memories of, especially after beating them. I think it is very easy to make the argument that Bloody Wolf is better than the other two in more ways than just being the next generation of consoles.

'Merica!
70/95 US Turbochips

DildoKKKobold

I was speedrunning Bloody Wolf for a while. Its an incredible game.
For a good time with the legendary DarkKobold, email: kylethomson@gmail.com
Dildos provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

KGD

Bloody Wolf seems right up my alley, from what I've been reading around here.

For those of you who beat it, is it a hard 1CC?