10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Let's Talk About the Awesomeness Bloody Wolf

Started by jlued686, 08/11/2014, 11:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gentlegamer

Quote from: KGD on 08/16/2014, 10:36 PMBloody Wolf seems right up my alley, from what I've been reading around here.

For those of you who beat it, is it a hard 1CC?
You only get one life, so I'd say it's bloody hard to 1cc.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

CrackTiger

Quote from: KGD on 08/16/2014, 10:36 PMBloody Wolf seems right up my alley, from what I've been reading around here.

For those of you who beat it, is it a hard 1CC?
Just like with any game, it just takes practice. But the game isn't very cheap and it is very doable if you learn the layouts and patterns.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

johnnymad

I experienced the awesomeness for the first time today. Only made it to the second level so far. Gameplay is great and I really like the music. Boss of the first level has the best name of any other boss in the history of bosses - Shotgun Man.

elderbroom

Just picked up a loose PCE hu for this last week.  A buddy had this for TG16 growing up.  Not sure I ever spent much time with it .. but certainly something I plan to give some time towards.  I played only the first level to ensure the hu that just came in the mail actually worked. Controls seems solid, music is great.  Add this to the ever growing Obey "need to find time to play" list.
-----------------------
Elderbroom
My TG-16/PCE Collection : http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/615/show-collection.htm

MrFulci

This weekend I played through the game for the first time in at least 5 years.

I forgot bits and pieces, such as the snorkelers, I got shot up by them since I forgot they were there. I experienced, "Bullet Time" for the first time in a while.

It took maybe 30 minutes for me to beat the last boss, since I forgot the pattern. I'd say it took about 10 minutes to get him past the first phase, figure out that pattern again, then another 20 minutes for his second phase.

All together, I played Bloody Wolf for about 2 hours and 15 minutes or so.

After that, I played Shadowgate on the NES, since I haven't played that in ages, either. I remembered most of it, but kinda dead-ended myself at one point. I skipped the closet early on, since I recalled something with the book, and the floor opening, and skipped over that part, only to later realize I was supposed to open the book, get the key, get the sling and sword for killing the ogre, etc.

Shadowgate took me about 2 hours, since I had to start over again after putting about 30 - 45 minutes into it.

The NES was irritating me, with screen flash. This is my original NES deck from the 80s, and it still has the original 72 pin. The system used to work with no problem as long as a game genie was crammed between it and a game. That's a trick myself, and other people I knew years ago did, who had NES systems that would flash with only carts being used. That flicker stuff would almost never happen with a game genie attached. So, even without using codes, I pretty much always used that game genie between the game and system. Well, this time, it took a good 5 minutes, some cart cleaning, etc to get it going, even with the game genie. So after I beat Shadowgate, I went online, and ordered a new 72 pin connector.

The next 2 games I have planned to play in the next week or so will be Guerilla war on the NES and then Smash TV on the PS2's Capcom Compilation. After that, maybe I'll play Somer Assault on TG-16 (I've never beat the game, but been close!), or some Pyramid Plunder whenever that game gets to me, it should be here on Monday.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

johnnymad

I'm sure you know, but don't use the Game Genie on the new 72 pin connector. That's probably what killed it in the first place.

MrFulci

Quote from: johnnymad on 08/17/2014, 07:10 PMI'm sure you know, but don't use the Game Genie on the new 72 pin connector. That's probably what killed it in the first place.
Could be, I'm not sure if the system acted up before the Game Genie, or not.

If all goes well with the new 72 pin, I'll only be using Game Genie when I want to use it, which is usually for unlimited credits. I'm not too worried about another 72-pin wearing out, considering how long this original has lasted and how cheap the part is.

I'm saving the old 72 pin, since I read the pins can be bent back in shape. I'll hold onto it, and maybe one day I'll bend them all back in shape when the replacement 72 pin wears out!
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

johnnymad

It's weird, but some people boil their connectors and say it actually brings them "back to life," so to speak. I've never tried it - just took another connector off a thrift store NES to fix mine.

Bake

I think I've beaten this game 20 times in the last 15 years, but every time I play it, it's a good time. In fact, I just played it last week. It never gets old for me. And the soundtrack is awesome! This game and Air Zonk are my two favorite pick up and go games on the turbo. 

Also:
'Do you know how to fly one of these, bro?'
"....."
"....."

clackattack

After reading through this thread, I have officially decided to make Bloody Wolf my next TG16 purchase. Ive always heard how good it was but I have never actually played it. Even though im more of an RPG/puzzle player on my turbo, I bet I can at least get my wife to play it with me! I always try to get her to play but she says all the games I like to play look boring to her. So maybe a little shootin' and motorcycle ridin' will get her interested!
[If it's song and dance you want, song and dance you'll get!]

MrFulci

Quote from: clackattack on 08/20/2014, 05:38 PMAfter reading through this thread, I have officially decided to make Bloody Wolf my next TG16 purchase. Ive always heard how good it was but I have never actually played it. Even though im more of an RPG/puzzle player on my turbo, I bet I can at least get my wife to play it with me! I always try to get her to play but she says all the games I like to play look boring to her. So maybe a little shootin' and motorcycle ridin' will get her interested!
Legendary Axe 2 and Ninja Spirit aren't bad, either. Neither has much of a slow pace.

clackattack

Those 2 are good titles, played through both of them a few times now. Just not enough 2 player co-op games

MrFulci

The Bomberman games are 2 player. Good fun there.

Some of the shooters are 2 player.

World Court Tennis is an OK tennis game. Years ago I'd sometimes play 2 player of it with someone.

Parasol Stars, Hit the Ice and Hit the Ice are also OK multiplayer.

But, yeah, not a whole lot out there!

NecroPhile

Unless you guys are purposely ignoring the PCE side, you need to explore some more games, as there's lots of fun two player games available.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

MrFulci

Quote from: guest on 08/20/2014, 06:44 PMUnless you guys are purposely ignoring the PCE side, you need to explore some more games, as there's lots of fun two player games available.
Clackattack mentioned TG16, I'm not sure if he has PCE capabilities, or even CD. NecroPhile, what PCE games do you suggest?

NecroPhile

Don Doko Don, 1943, Sapphire, Dungeon Explorer, Dungeon Explorer 2, Double Dungeons, Ane-san, Double Dragon 2, Bonanza Bros., Bonk 3, Buster Bros., Cadash, Motoroader, Magicoal, Pop n Magic, Shockman, Chiki Chiki Boys, Efera and Jiliora, Puyo Puyo, Puyo Puyo Tsu, Panic Bomber, Splash Lake, Travel Epul, Motteke Tamago, and a bunch of vs. fighters (Godzilla!).
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

esteban

Quote from: guest on 08/11/2014, 12:14 PMI don't dislike Bloody Wolf, but it doesn't get me terribly excited either.  Had I picked it up back in the day instead of more recent times, I'd probably have spent a lot more time with it and consequently like it more.
BLASPHEMY!

BACK on TOPIC:

Using the flamethrower in BLOODY WOLF feels so damn good. You can be stingy with it and use it in tiny spurts. Or you can be reckless and just waste the precious death flames.

The music is LE AWESOME.

PLUS: everything already said. Motorcycle!!!

THE (minor) little plot twist in the story.....

The GENERALISSIMO is genuinely tough to beat (gotta have good reflexes to dodge boomerangs...and later....LAZERS AND BOOMARANGS)...

...ALL ADD UP TO SUPREME GREATNESS.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

esteban

Quote from: guest on 08/11/2014, 04:42 PM
Quote from: MrFlutterPie on 08/11/2014, 12:45 PMI love how the enemies guts explode and bleed out when they are shot.  I just wished there was a scream sound effect when they got hit. 
Yeah, like the sample from Gunboat!  Man that sound...

In other news, I tried really hard to love this game, but in the end I found I don't even like it that much.

^^Every time I say that, I vow to give it another chance.  Guess I know what I'll be doing later if the kids go to sleep before I do.
HELL-FUCKING-NO.

NightWolve

Quote from: esteban on 08/21/2014, 02:23 PMUsing the flamethrower in BLOODY WOLF feels so damn good. You can be stingy with it and use it in tiny spurts. Or you can be reckless and just waste the precious death flames.
The music is LE AWESOME.
+1 este, but I like this contribution to the thread the best:

Quote from: White Supremacist DildoKKKobold on 08/13/2014, 09:54 PMI was speedrunning Bloody Wolf for a while. Its an incredible game.
"Oh yeah, yeah, I remember this game. I hacked it into God mode, best 20 minutes of an action game I ever spent my time on!! It's incredible, I highly recommend it."

esteban

slinkyturd

Quote from: esteban on 08/23/2014, 08:08 AMUPDATE: Still fuc*kin' awesome.
I wasn't sure before, but now with that comment, I am sure and in agreement.
70/95 US Turbochips

clackattack

I do have CD capabilities and in a few days will have PCE and SCD abilities as well

esteban

Quote from: clackattack on 08/25/2014, 05:58 PMI do have CD capabilities and in a few days will have PCE and SCD abilities as well
Tell me more...