RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Magical Chase

Started by vexcollects, 08/21/2014, 01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vexcollects

So a collector buddy of mine contacted me today. Him and his friend were talking about the TG16 and his (non collector) friend stated that he still had his original TG16 in storage somewhere and that one of the games is Magical Chase (hucard only).

So my buddy is flipping out because his friend is willing to sell it to him for $500 (probably..if he can find it...and if it is for real).

I of course would be interested, but then I looked at the "value" on eBay. What is going on? Why is it finishing at $1 to $2k? There were more than a few completed auction, granted not a lot, but how rare can it be if I can easily look up 8 to 12 completed auctions in the last few months (mind you, some are Japanese copies)?

Also, if I search for Beyond Shadowgate there are very few auctions if any (North America), but it seems to hover in the $200 to $300 range. Is Magical Chase $1500 - $1700 better than Shadowgate even though it is (seemingly) easier to find? Is this just shill bidding by sellers to drive the cost up? What's going on?

I can't imagine a situation where I would even pay $500. I don't know, maybe I would.....can't control the gamer rage!

vexcollects

Quote from: guest on 08/21/2014, 01:34 PMFIRST!  INB4FLAME
Have I asked a terrible question? Oh nos.

vexcollects

Quote from: guest on 08/21/2014, 01:45 PMI don't personally care, just being a turd.  There are a bazillion threads posing this very question, though, and I wanted to see if I could do a "first" post before someone came a long and dumped a page full of thread links. :lol:

MC is a self fulfilling prophecy.  It is rare, it is the holy grail... therefor it is rare and the holy grail.  There are other games that sell much less frequently and should be every bit as rare in terms of # produced.

The goverrats definitely had a hand in this one.
Then I request a retraction to my question and post. Damn. Shouda searched. I must be drunk.

Arkhan Asylum

It's overrated.   I'd pay no more than 50$ for it.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

VestCunt

Did somebody seriously just create another thread titled "Magical Chase"?
Topic Adjourned.

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: guest on 08/21/2014, 02:06 PMDid somebody seriously just create another thread titled "Magical Chase"?
Yep and more to come. I rather just get the chucard version of it and be done with it. Makes you wonder if Panzer Dragoon Saga generates this much chatter on how rarez it is.

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: vexcollects on 08/21/2014, 01:27 PMIs Magical Chase $1500 - $1700 better than Shadowgate even though it is (seemingly) easier to find? Is this just shill bidding by sellers to drive the cost up? What's going on?

World Class Track Meet is $3, and Stadium Events is $3,000. The difference between the two games is a title screen. That title screen is not 100,000% better. Trying to equate game quality with price is useless.
For a good time with the legendary DarkKobold, email: kylethomson@gmail.com
Dildos provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

NecroPhile

Quote from: VestCunt on 08/21/2014, 02:06 PMDid somebody seriously just create another thread titled "Magical Chase"?
It's the law.  At least once a month.  :lol:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

jelloslug

I see US Magical Chase for sale on Ebay way more often than many, many other TG-16 games.  You would think that would drive the price down a bit.

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

LostFlunky

Quote from: guest on 08/21/2014, 02:11 PM
Quote from: vexcollects on 08/21/2014, 01:27 PMIs Magical Chase $1500 - $1700 better than Shadowgate even though it is (seemingly) easier to find? Is this just shill bidding by sellers to drive the cost up? What's going on?
World Class Track Meet is $3, and Stadium Events is $3,000. The difference between the two games is a title screen. That title screen is not 100,000% better. Trying to equate game quality with price is useless.
He was equating the rarity of 2 items to the price, not the quality...

NecroPhile

Quote from: Lost Monkey on 08/21/2014, 03:00 PMHe was equating the rarity of 2 items to the price, not the quality...
He asked both.

"Is Magical Chase $1500 - $1700 better than Shadowgate...."    <-- quality

".... even though it is (seemingly) easier to find?"  <-- rarity
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

T2KFreeker

The Magical Chase thing is sad, really. It's not a horrible shooter, it's just not amazing either. Seriosuly, if we were talking real rarity, Beyond Shadowgate should be like 2 or 3 times as expensive as Magical Chase. Either way, paying that much for a Video Game seems stupid to me anyway. Just saying.
END OF LINE.

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: jelloslug on 08/21/2014, 02:21 PMI see US Magical Chase for sale on Ebay way more often than many, many other TG-16 games.  You would think that would drive the price down a bit.
Probably because the joy of having an expensive hu-card wears off quick. Then you realize you have a mortgage payment sitting in a single video game, so you flip it on eBay. The next person gets their momentary joy, and repeat ad nauseum.
For a good time with the legendary DarkKobold, email: kylethomson@gmail.com
Dildos provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: T2KFreeker on 08/21/2014, 03:13 PMThe Magical Chase thing is sad, really. It's not a horrible shooter, it's just not amazing either. Seriosuly, if we were talking real rarity, Beyond Shadowgate should be like 2 or 3 times as expensive as Magical Chase. Either way, paying that much for a Video Game seems stupid to me anyway. Just saying.
Considering you could get a ounce of gold for that much. Or a house payment. Or a cheap car. Or a badass computer. List goes on..

reson8er

I say we band together and find out what happened the the copies that were steamrolled. No doubt the salvageable ones will more than pay for the cost of the detective work involved. :roll:

LostFlunky

Quote from: guest on 08/21/2014, 03:08 PM
Quote from: Lost Monkey on 08/21/2014, 03:00 PMHe was equating the rarity of 2 items to the price, not the quality...
He asked both.

"Is Magical Chase $1500 - $1700 better than Shadowgate...."    <-- quality

".... even though it is (seemingly) easier to find?"  <-- rarity
#-o

Gotta stop reading here when I am at work!

MrFulci

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 08/21/2014, 03:15 PM
Quote from: T2KFreeker on 08/21/2014, 03:13 PMThe Magical Chase thing is sad, really. It's not a horrible shooter, it's just not amazing either. Seriosuly, if we were talking real rarity, Beyond Shadowgate should be like 2 or 3 times as expensive as Magical Chase. Either way, paying that much for a Video Game seems stupid to me anyway. Just saying.
Considering you could get a ounce of gold for that much. Or a house payment. Or a cheap car. Or a badass computer. List goes on..
Someone posted in a thread here, a screen capture from Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, something like that. This guy holding a Magical Chase game, he posted a pic of him holding it, and commented something like, "Here it is, one of the rarest games ever, I paid $$$ for it, and now I'm going to sell it. But isn't that part of owning a very rare game, just to own it for a short time?"

I can't remember all the details, but it was something like that. So, I imagine there are some people out there, who just want to own it, even for a moment, so they can say they've owned it, then turn around and sell it on ebay. Seems pretty stupid. I'd say it may be like someone renting a pricey sports car for a short time, but the problem is, I doubt any of these people even play the game when they get it.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

Ravij

Can't remember what exactly I paid for my Magical Chase (mint & boxed), but it was £40 or £50, which is what I was paying for new PCE games in the early 1990's. Think I only got 2 or 3 games new, Street Fighter was one, which IIRC was £45 new. The vast majority of my PC Engine collection cost a few dollars each, so the odd expensive game is not too bad.

Personally I wouldn't pay stupid bucks for anything.

I just hope they still fetch silly money in 20-25 years time when I come to sell them though!

IMG
Magical Chase - PC Engine
by ravij1, on Flickr

JoshTurboTrollX

I paid $30 for my copy and am damn glad too!  Well worth the money!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

DeshDildo

Quote from: guest on 08/21/2014, 01:45 PMj/k again... ask anyone, i rarely bother to search.  There are all sorts of legends. I'll bullet point some of what i've heard- all fact, all fiction (depending on who you ask).

• a french canadian collector/reseller bought up dozens or hundreds of copies to make it seem rare and is trickling them out for megabucks
  • only 5000 copies were made
  • urban myth: last game ever made for turbob (not true)
  • cabal of gougers constantly selling copies back and forth to themselves or co-conspirators to establish crazy price history
  • wmac
  • desh
  • willis
  • ebola
  • five copies of MC come with a golden ticket which grants admission to EvilEvo's Bullshit Factory- just don't eat the corn or peanuts when on the tour, and if you find an everlasting gobstopper don't put it in your mouth (protip: it is an anal plug)
  • ebay
  • price charting
You son of a b****.  Still butthurt over my raffle I see.
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

LostFlunky

Magical Chase is the poster child for every thing wrong with the world.  Too bad....

DeshDildo

Quote from: guest on 08/21/2014, 01:45 PMHah, nah man.  But you're a parasite, and you bailed from DoxPhile chat after i gave you some shit so I concluded that you in fact ARE one of the reasons MC is so much monies.
Eh... I didn't see your response.  I've logged in there a few times to see what's going on.  I saw you were in there and didn't get a response from my greeting so I assumed you were busy looking at buttbuddies.com or something like that.
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

johnnymad

Quote from: Desh on 08/22/2014, 12:12 PM
Quote from: guest on 08/21/2014, 01:45 PMHah, nah man.  But you're a parasite, and you bailed from DoxPhile chat after i gave you some shit so I concluded that you in fact ARE one of the reasons MC is so much monies.
Eh... I didn't see your response.  I've logged in there a few times to see what's going on.  I saw you were in there and didn't get a response from my greeting so I assumed you were busy looking at buttbuddies.com or something like that.
null and I were looking up Billy Madison clips when you logged on. We're all at work and sometimes go long periods of time without talking and sometimes have to go without notice. We were not ignoring you. And then you bailed after Nulltard called you out.

MrFulci

Quote from: johnnymad on 08/22/2014, 12:43 PMnull and I were looking up Billy Madison clips when you logged on.

"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

MrFlutterPie

It's so valuable because the game is magical so every one chases it.

esteban

Quote from: vexcollects on 08/21/2014, 01:27 PMSo a collector buddy of mine contacted me today. Him and his friend were talking about the TG16 and his (non collector) friend stated that he still had his original TG16 in storage somewhere and that one of the games is Magical Chase (hucard only).

So my buddy is flipping out because his friend is willing to sell it to him for $500 (probably..if he can find it...and if it is for real).

I of course would be interested, but then I looked at the "value" on eBay. What is going on? Why is it finishing at $1 to $2k? There were more than a few completed auction, granted not a lot, but how rare can it be if I can easily look up 8 to 12 completed auctions in the last few months (mind you, some are Japanese copies)?

Also, if I search for Beyond Shadowgate there are very few auctions if any (North America), but it seems to hover in the $200 to $300 range. Is Magical Chase $1500 - $1700 better than Shadowgate even though it is (seemingly) easier to find? Is this just shill bidding by sellers to drive the cost up? What's going on?

I can't imagine a situation where I would even pay $500. I don't know, maybe I would.....can't control the gamer rage!
Tell me more.

esteban

ASIDE: Does anyone remember this ?

IMG

I don't have the link...if anyone does...

MrFulci

Quote from: esteban on 08/23/2014, 07:31 PMASIDE: Does anyone remember this ?

IMG

It doesn't look familiar. I must have been absent during that time, or just not paying attention to the Magical Chase threads. What's the story ?

esteban

Quote from: MrFulci on 08/23/2014, 07:37 PM
Quote from: esteban on 08/23/2014, 07:31 PMASIDE: Does anyone remember this?

IMG

It doesn't look familiar. I must have been absent during that time, or just not paying attention to the Magical Chase threads. What's the story?
Collectard YouTube video. Someone will find link.  :pcgs:

johnnymad

I think his show is called "The Video Game Sellers" or something. JHMDF is the channel name.

PunkCryborg

MY RAREST GAME PICKUP EVER!!!:
I've actually met the guy a couple times. He's a game reseller at a flea market but he's actually pretty cool and likes talking about games and negotiating.

esteban

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 08/24/2014, 10:11 AMMY RAREST GAME PICKUP EVER!!!:
I've actually met the guy a couple times. He's a game reseller at a flea market but he's actually pretty cool and likes talking about games and negotiating.
ha!

I gotta watch it again.

jtucci31

Quote from: esteban on 08/24/2014, 12:28 PM
Quote from: PunkCryborg on 08/24/2014, 10:11 AMMY RAREST GAME PICKUP EVER!!!:
ha!

I gotta watch it again.
I was waiting for him to talk about how he found it on craigslist or at a garage sale or something locally. But he just bought it on ebay?

How exciting...  :roll:

vexcollects

Quote from: esteban on 08/23/2014, 06:37 AM
Quote from: vexcollects on 08/21/2014, 01:27 PMSo a collector buddy of mine contacted me today. Him and his friend were talking about the TG16 and his (non collector) friend stated that he still had his original TG16 in storage somewhere and that one of the games is Magical Chase (hucard only).

Tell me more.
...and he bought the game and rode off on a white horse named Uriel. Knowing he had completed his journey and there was nothing left for him to do, he ascended to the astral plain.

esteban

mrhaboobi

Quote from: guest on 08/21/2014, 02:03 PM
  • five copies of MC come with a golden ticket which grants admission to EvilEvo's Bullshit Factory- just don't eat the corn or peanuts when on the tour, and if you find an everlasting gobstopper don't put it in your mouth (protip: it is an anal plug)
Umm Protip implies you have been there and done that :) awesome.. we have our own gimp on the board .. waa hoo.
Looking for (MINT ONLY)
US Manual : Magical Chase, Shockman 
US Box : Turrican,  Soldier Blade, New Adventure Island, Neutopia II
Other : Sapphire OBI, Turbo Play Aug/Sept 90, April/May 92, Turbo Edge Spring 90

PC Engine Special Cards : Bomberman User Battle

Alydnes Super Grafx

buzblaze

vexcollects - you DID share my story - nice. I swear if my buddy doesn't look in storage soon, I may consider a B&E.  :shock:
Well being as there's no other place around the place, I reckon this must be the place, I reckon.

vexcollects

Quote from: buzblaze on 08/26/2014, 08:41 PMvexcollects - you DID share my story - nice. I swear if my buddy doesn't look in storage soon, I may consider a B&E.  :shock:
Remember, if you get the game, the deal is I get to at least touch the hucard once, just to say that I actually did. Same sort of deal I made with my wife before I married her. Totally worth it.

jordan_hillman

Quote from: guest on 08/21/2014, 01:45 PMMC is a self fulfilling prophecy.  It is rare, it is the holy grail... therefor it is rare and the holy grail.  There are other games that sell much less frequently and should be every bit as rare in terms of # produced.
**drops microphone**
"Live the code, the code of the Dragon!"

viper0hr

"Holy Grails" tend to get hoarded and spiked in price. Talked about alot of places.

MC is a game I'll just play on my TurboEverdrive until I (never) find it in the wild.