RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

PC Engine Memories: Best Of Japan box set...

Started by ElSeven, 09/20/2014, 04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElSeven

Has anyone else seen this yet?

http://pceworks.wordpress.com/

looks like the people (person?) that put together the Sapphire boots from a few years ago is releasing a new set of reproduction games.  Renny Blaster, Faussete Amour, Kaze Kiri Ninja Action and Sylphia for 119 euro shipped.

not sure how i feel about this.  thoughts?
currently playing:
PCE - Raiden
SNES - Chrono Trigger
DC - Fast Striker

PCE LP

Otaking

I wonder if they'll be CDRs like his Rockman ones he did or proper printed CDs like the Sapphire bootleg.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

CrackTiger

These will be on eBay soon if they aren't already, listed as "second run" copies that are "rarer than the original" and the first seller will get as much as or more than the collectors price on non-bootlegs by putting "only listing on ebay!" in the title.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Bernie

A lot of people won't buy it, but I probably will..  That is IF they are not CD-Rs.

HailingTheThings

Totally e-mailed him already to see if they're pressed or burned. Now, waiting.
IMG

Sadler

I asked the same and he said they were pressed. I know there's a lot of hate for the guy, but the Sapphire boot was of high enough quality that I don't mind grabbing this. I don't care enough about Faussete Amour or Renny Blaster to pay the prices for real copies, but I don't mind paying ~$40 for a high quality bootleg. Kaze Kiri is the only one of these games I own already.

Bernie

I will be on the boat with this then!!!

ElSeven

Glad to hear that they are pressed cds and not just cd-r.  Since i don't own these games already I will prob be picking this up.

Not sure what the gold(ish) coin is about tho, is that actually a selling point for anyone?
currently playing:
PCE - Raiden
SNES - Chrono Trigger
DC - Fast Striker

PCE LP

Bernie

I just got with him, and he is almost out of stock already... So, if you gonna get it, better hurry.

HailingTheThings

IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: Bernie on 09/21/2014, 08:01 PMI just got with him, and he is almost out of stock already... So, if you gonna get it, better hurry.
I'm sure that it's only the "collectors" set that is almost out of stock, if he's even being honest about that.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

shubibiman

Well, when it comes to Tobias, we know what "nearly out of stock" means. Back in the time, Sapphire had been "nearly out of stock" for 5 years.
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

TR0N

I have original copies all ready for faussete armor,kaze kiri and sylphia.Though i wouldn't mind having a renny blaster for collection sake.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

dingsbums

I won't even think about the clausterfuck that is coming in the future when you want one of the four games as original ](*,). When the games will be sold seperatly from the owners and everybody thinks it's a real one - similar to the Sapphire sales today  :P.

I mean it wouldn't be such a problem if the four games would be marked as reprints but based on Sapphire they sure aren't  :?. A writing that says "This is a reprint" on the last side inside the manual, the back of the spine card, the CD itself and the inside of the backcover and all would be fine => that way you could at least ask if it is an original or not.

Thank god I have these four titles already  :) because all this is doing - it adds four titles to the "you have to be carefull" list  :x if you want original copies.
I get it - the originals are expensive - but even with these reprints existing - I would still want the original - as I have done it with Sapphire.

Or let me say it this way: My four expensive most wanted PCE CD games are Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari, Dead of the Brain 1&2, Madou Monogatari & Shin Onriyou Senki. If the set would contain these four titles I would still prefer the originals and to hunt them down for a good price :).

NecroPhile

Pressed is nice, but I don't like how he charges an arm and a leg for something that costs him only a few bucks to produce, and I agree that they should be easily distinguishable from legitimate copies.  Like the Sapphire boots, I bet there'll be obvious differences if you know what to look for, but that won't help noobs and the uninformed.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

jtucci31

Quote from: dingsbums on 09/22/2014, 11:10 AMI won't even think about the clausterfuck that is coming in the future when you want one of the four games as original ](*,). When the games will be sold seperatly from the owners and everybody thinks it's a real one - similar to the Sapphire sales today  :P.

I mean it wouldn't be such a problem if the four games would be marked as reprints but based on Sapphire they sure aren't  :?. A writing that says "This is a reprint" on the last side inside the manual, the back of the spine card, the CD itself and the inside of the backcover and all would be fine => that way you could at least ask if it is an original or not.
For whatever reason i was under the impression that it would be labeled "reprint" SOMEWHERE on the game like you said. But that sucks. I'll have to do my research and stress over whether I'm buying the real thing or not when the time comes.

Quote from: guest on 09/22/2014, 11:17 AMPressed is nice, but I don't like how he charges an arm and a leg for something that costs him only a few bucks to produce, and I agree that they should be easily distinguishable from legitimate copies.  Like the Sapphire boots, I bet there'll be obvious differences if you know what to look for, but that won't help noobs and the uninformed.
That whole boxset is ~$150 and it seems mainly due to the coin. I didn't think the games themselves would cost that much. If they were cheaper i probably would have jumped on it.

dingsbums

Quote from: guest on 09/22/2014, 11:22 AMFor whatever reason i was under the impression that it would be labeled "reprint" SOMEWHERE on the game like you said. But that sucks. I'll have to do my research and stress over whether I'm buying the real thing or not when the time comes.
It's just my assumption that they will be not marked.
But based on the fotos seen here:
http://pceworks.wordpress.com/2014/09/18/best-of-japan/#more-54

And on the Sapphire bootleg I'm pretty sure they won't be marked.
The only reprint sign I have seen is on the outer box - which can be tossed away easily. And it says on the site that the games will be sold seperatly later on.

Dicer

If these are full pressed re-pro's I'd have zero issue with the price (fuck the coin though) if it's just nicely done packaging with a CD-R I can do that at home.

Just my .02 on the matter.

Looks like it's nicely done. and I give him some sort of props for keeping the dream alive...

albatross

I've placed my order...cant wait to play these as I do not currently own any of them.

HailingTheThings

Can't wait until there's US repro CD games. hahahahahahahahahahaaaahhhhaahahahahaha eff
IMG

MotherGunner

-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

Trenton_net

I already own legit copies of Kaze Kiri and Fausset Amour, but if these are actual pressings I might go in just for Sylphia and Renny Blaster. If anyone wanted Kaze Kiri or Fausset I'd be happy to share the cost with them.

SuperDeadite

A collector's coin to celebrate a box of bootlegs?  ROLF
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

CrackTiger

Somehow, he just happened to have a set left for me to buy today. :P I'm going to heavily document them along with the rest of his boots and try to narrow down the easiest to spot aspects. We can't have them just floating around with the only info being "some are fake and some are not".

Lochlan

Quote from: guest on 09/23/2014, 03:48 PMSomehow, he just happened to have a set left for me to buy today. :P I'm going to heavily document them along with the rest of his boots and try to narrow down the easiest to spot aspects. We can't have them just floating around with the only info being "some are fake and some are not".
Thank you for doing that.  I was considering doing this myself, glad to hear somebody stepped up.

Personally I'm most concerned about counterfeit spine cards circulating alongside real games.
Quote from: ridgewood_general_store_1 on 08/15/2014, 11:12 AMI'm not sorry about this, as I'm not sorry about ANY attack by the goverrats.

munchiaz

I wouldn't mind getting them if they had clear markings that they were bootlegs.

NecroPhile

Black Tiger, taking one for the team.

When you're done documenting them, you can recoup your outlay by pawning 'em off on some frenchy collectard.  :mrgreen:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Mathius

Looks like Black Tiger beat me to it. He told me that he would hold a copy for as long as I wanted. Real nice of him but unusual considering their "limited" number.

I'm getting a nice paycheck this week so I think I'll change my mind from earlier and spring for one. In all honesty the Sapphire boot was quite a blessing on my end just so I could appreciate the game. Same goes for these.

Just trying to be real here regarding my possible purchase. The site of the box set kinda gave me a stiffy. Blue Balls really suck too btw.

ElSeven

someone has already posted an unboxing on youtube:
looks like the discs are definitely pressed as earlier reported, and there are new logo makings unique to this repro pressing on the manuals and discs that make these easily identifiable as fakes.
currently playing:
PCE - Raiden
SNES - Chrono Trigger
DC - Fast Striker

PCE LP

CrackTiger

Quote from: ElSeven on 09/23/2014, 10:40 PMsomeone has already posted an unboxing on youtube:
looks like the discs are definitely pressed as earlier reported, and there are new logo makings unique to this repro pressing on the manuals and discs that make these easily identifiable as fakes.
It's cool that he put some logos on them this time, although it looks like he's trying to establish this new brand and if successful, we'll likely see anything of value bootlegged soon enough.

jtucci31

Thanks for the unboxing video. I like that there are some distinguishable logos on them. Now i just wish i had bought this.

I'll probably pick up some individual games if he does decide to do that. Hopefully he does.  [-o<

CrackTiger

Quote from: guest on 09/23/2014, 10:58 PMThanks for the unboxing video. I like that there are some distinguishable logos on them. Now i just wish i had bought this.

I'll probably pick up some individual games if he does decide to do that. Hopefully he does.  [-o<
There's no way that he only got 100 copies of each published. I'm sure that you could already buy individual copies if you ask.

shubibiman

Here's what I asked him :

">> Do you plan to release each of these games separatly afterwards ?

not sure yet and if, not before 2015."

As usual, he's gonna tell everyone "buy it quick as there are only few copies left", and then, this will go on for years, just as with Sapphire.
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

SamIAm

If he were smart, he would deliberately sell out of this one quickly in order to drive up demand for future prints of other games.

Not to try and help him, though. I personally think the amount he's asking is unconscionable.

dingsbums

Really good that he marked the disc & manual this time around  =D>.
I wonder why he didn't include Dracula X in the boxset - maybe because Konami is still around  :-k.

Opethian

no one is "on the fence" with Dracula X like the other 4 titles that's why
IMG

Otaking

Quote from: dingsbums on 09/24/2014, 09:36 AMI wonder why he didn't include Dracula X in the boxset - maybe because Konami is still around  :-k.
I very much doubt Konami would care enough to take action if he did a print run Dracula X boots.
If he does more I wonder games he will do next? something like Nexzr, Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari, The TV Show, Bazaaru de Gozaaru, Rayxanber III, Steam Hearts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

CrackTiger

When he does bootleg Drac X, it will be the English fan version and Burnt Lasagna will never work on a PCE project again.

It will likely be marketed as the "long lost translated version that Konami was waiting to release, should the Turbo-CD sell well enough. This is the version Konami eventually included in the Castlevania Chronicles for PSP".

HailingTheThings

Quote from: HardcoreOtaku on 09/24/2014, 11:07 AM
Quote from: dingsbums on 09/24/2014, 09:36 AMI wonder why he didn't include Dracula X in the boxset - maybe because Konami is still around  :-k.
I very much doubt Konami would care enough to take action if he did a print run Dracula X boots.
If he does more I wonder games he will do next? something like Nexzr, Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari, The TV Show, Bazaaru de Gozaaru, Rayxanber III, Steam Hearts.
Kinda surprised Steam Hearts wasn't one already, but then again it is kinda also on the Saturn, so that's a thing.
IMG

Bernie

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 09/22/2014, 11:54 PMCan't wait until there's US repro CD games. hahahahahahahahahahaaaahhhhaahahahahaha eff
It's coming...I already asked about it...

Mathius

Did they mention to anyone else about not inquiring about a tracking number unless the parcel seems late? That seems extremely douchy. Not sure why they would have an issue letting all their customers know their tracking number.  :-k

CrackTiger

Quote from: Mathius on 09/24/2014, 09:07 PMDid they mention to anyone else about not inquiring about a tracking number unless the parcel seems late? That seems extremely douchy. Not sure why they would have an issue letting all their customers know their tracking number.  :-k
I got the same message.

jtucci31

Quote from: Mathius on 09/24/2014, 09:07 PMDid they mention to anyone else about not inquiring about a tracking number unless the parcel seems late? That seems extremely douchy. Not sure why they would have an issue letting all their customers know their tracking number.  :-k
So they have the time to tell you not to ask for a tracking number but not the time to just give it to you? That seems really counter-productive and i agree....douchy

HailingTheThings

Quote from: Bernie on 09/24/2014, 07:47 PM
Quote from: HailingTheThings on 09/22/2014, 11:54 PMCan't wait until there's US repro CD games. hahahahahahahahahahaaaahhhhaahahahahaha eff
It's coming...I already asked about it...
You ruined the surprise. lol

Said he's gonna release a Dynastic Hero with a lenticular 3D cover depicting a giant penis eating, you guessed it, another penis. For Germany!

<3
IMG

InfraMan

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 09/24/2014, 10:51 PMYou ruined the surprise. lol

Said he's gonna release a Dynastic Hero with a lenticular 3D cover depicting a giant penis eating, you guessed it, another penis. For Germany!
Ohhhhhhhhh.... so that's what a Dynastic Hero is. :shock:

HailingTheThings

Quote from: InfraMan on 09/24/2014, 10:58 PM
Quote from: HailingTheThings on 09/24/2014, 10:51 PMYou ruined the surprise. lol

Ohhhhhhhhh.... so that's what a Dynastic Hero is. :shock:
It was originally titled "Dillnastic Hurtered" but was changed due to obvious reasons or so I am told.

IMG
IMG

InfraMan

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 09/24/2014, 11:06 PMIt was originally titled "Dillnastic Hurtered" but was changed due to obvious reasons or so I am told.

IMG
HAAA! I would totally not be surprised at all if this actually existed. Because Cho Aniki.

And just to post something remotely on-topic (pfft!), I did order one of these sets. I figure less than $40 each for these four games isn't too bad, given how much the real ones go for.

HailingTheThings

Quote from: InfraMan on 09/24/2014, 11:26 PM
Quote from: HailingTheThings on 09/24/2014, 11:06 PMIt was originally titled "Dillnastic Hurtered" but was changed due to obvious reasons or so I am told.

IMG
HAAA! I would totally not be surprised at all if this actually existed. Because Cho Aniki.

And just to post something remotely on-topic (pfft!), I did order one of these sets. I figure less than $40 each for these four games isn't too bad, given how much the real ones go for.
lol

I'm totes ordering one soon.
IMG

reson8er

I purchased the Sapphire/Mega Man/Fantasy Zone set from him a while back, and quite frankly am happy for doing so. As I see it, he is bringing the experience of owning the game and playing the game  to people who cannot afford to pay hundreds of dollars per game. I understand that the cost is a bit inflated for a reproduction, but you can clearly see the attention to detail and attempt to replicate the original (maybe to a fault) and understand that its no small effort to get all this done.

As much as  I love the Turbo/PCE its just not realistic to expect to own these games in the current eBay collectors climate.

I will not be purchasing this set as I already own Kaze Kiri, but if he puts them up individually I'll certainly go for 1 or 2.

CrackTiger

Quote from: reson8er on 09/25/2014, 10:40 AMI purchased the Sapphire/Mega Man/Fantasy Zone set from him a while back, and quite frankly am happy for doing so. As I see it, he is bringing the experience of owning the game and playing the game  to people who cannot afford to pay hundreds of dollars per game. I understand that the cost is a bit inflated for a reproduction, but you can clearly see the attention to detail and attempt to replicate the original (maybe to a fault) and understand that its no small effort to get all this done.

As much as  I love the Turbo/PCE its just not realistic to expect to own these games in the current eBay collectors climate.

I will not be purchasing this set as I already own Kaze Kiri, but if he puts them up individually I'll certainly go for 1 or 2.
It was also no small effort for tomaitheus to get Mega Man running on PC Engine, before the animeforever guy snagged it and started selling repros without contacting him.

I understand that the cost of a donation to his site may feel inconvenient for an NES-to-PCE reproduction that you can take for free, but you can clearly see Tom's attention to detail and attempt to replicate the original NES game (maybe to a fault) and understand that its no small effort to get all this done.

All the repro guy did was spend $3 - $5 a copy to physically publish tomaitheus' work, built off of the work of everyone who contributed to the original game and sources of the packaging assets, and then sold them for $70 - $100+ each.