RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Best US huey (round 2.5)

Started by slinkyturd, 11/28/2014, 02:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Round 2.5 Pick 5

Air Zonk
18 (22.2%)
Blazing Lazers
22 (27.2%)
Bloody Wolf
6 (7.4%)
Bomberman '93
7 (8.6%)
Bonk's Adv.
11 (13.6%)
Bonk's Revenge
20 (24.7%)
Cadash
7 (8.6%)
Devil's Crush
12 (14.8%)
Dragon's Curse
8 (9.9%)
Dungeon Explorer
10 (12.3%)
Galaga '90
4 (4.9%)
Legendary Axe
13 (16%)
Legendary Axe II
3 (3.7%)
Military Madness
12 (14.8%)
Neutopia
12 (14.8%)
Neutopia II
8 (9.9%)
Ninja Spirit
25 (30.9%)
Parasol Stars
3 (3.7%)
R-Type
3 (3.7%)
Soldier Blade
9 (11.1%)
Splatterhouse
10 (12.3%)
Super Star Soldier
2 (2.5%)

Total Members Voted: 81

slinkyturd

I eliminated the ones that couldn't reach double digits and realize my error of giving you folks too many votes so I've halved that.
70/95 US Turbochips

roflmao

This makes it tricker. :) Going forward this will be really hard.

HailingTheThings

Had a hard time picking between Cadash and Legendary Axe as my 5th choice. Went with Axe...but only because its an original game created for the PCE/Turbo and not a port. Not that I'm taking anything away from Cadash for being a port, I love that game, just, ah, well, you know what I'm saying. Probably.
IMG

Koa Zo

I had to pick Galaga '90.
There's a pleasantness to playing that game which lends itself to increasing the fun. It ca nget challenging going for high scores but it never gets frustrating nor boring. Reliable fun to return to any time and pick up and play accessibility make Galaga '88 an all time great.

esteban

Quote from: Koa Zo on 11/28/2014, 03:54 AMI had to pick Galaga '90.
There's a pleasantness to playing that game which lends itself to increasing the fun. It ca nget challenging going for high scores but it never gets frustrating nor boring. Reliable fun to return to any time and pick up and play accessibility make Galaga '88 an all time great.
Indeed.

It is such a charming game. Therapeutic, even. As you seemed to suggest.

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 11/28/2014, 03:35 AMHad a hard time picking between Cadash and Legendary Axe as my 5th choice. Went with Axe...but only because its an original game created for the PCE/Turbo and not a port. Not that I'm taking anything away from Cadash for being a port, I love that game, just, ah, well, you know what I'm saying. Probably.
I'd vote for Axe over Cadash, too.

Of course, I don't actually vote.

But if I did...
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

DeshDildo

Much harder vote this time around.  I know I'll get flamed but I didn't vote for any shooters.  I know this is the "shooter" console but there are so many awesome non-shoot em ups that I prefer to play.
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

slinkyturd

I couldn't justify it...yet. I stuck to my usual cut off at double digits, mostly because legendary axe II only had 10 votes and it's drastically better than the overrated and over voted first one. Couldn't get rid of the that to get rid of "dragon's crap." Regardless both will probably be gone next round anyway.
70/95 US Turbochips

jlued686

God damn...this is a tough one. It's like you're asking me to pick my favorite child!

(Screw you guys: Dragon's Curse is awesome).

(I didn't vote for it, though).

FraGMarE

Quote from: slinkyturd on 11/28/2014, 10:32 AM...mostly because legendary axe II only had 10 votes and it's drastically better than the overrated and over voted first one
Somebody is drunk.

johnnykonami

I love Cadash, Splatterhouse, and Dragon's Curse but I cut out anything that wasn't console exclusive.  Blazing Lazers, Bonk's Revenge, Parasol Stars, Military Madness, and Air Zonk.

CrackTiger

Quote from: johnnykonami on 11/28/2014, 02:25 PMI love Cadash, Splatterhouse, and Dragon's Curse but I cut out anything that wasn't console exclusive.  Blazing Lazers, Bonk's Revenge, Parasol Stars, Military Madness, and Air Zonk.
Parasol Stars isn't exclusive.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

johnnykonami

Quote from: guest on 11/28/2014, 02:44 PM
Quote from: johnnykonami on 11/28/2014, 02:25 PMI love Cadash, Splatterhouse, and Dragon's Curse but I cut out anything that wasn't console exclusive.  Blazing Lazers, Bonk's Revenge, Parasol Stars, Military Madness, and Air Zonk.
I assume you're referring to the B&W gameboy port.  Might as well be exclusive, much as I love the GB, plus the PCE is the console of origin for the game.  That's exclusive enough for me.  Maybe "native" would have been a better word to use?

Damon Plus

Quote from: johnnykonami on 11/28/2014, 03:28 PM
Quote from: guest on 11/28/2014, 02:44 PM
I assume you're referring to the B&W gameboy port.  Might as well be exclusive, much as I love the GB, plus the PCE is the console of origin for the game.  That's exclusive enough for me.  Maybe "native" would have been a better word to use?
There was also a Pal release for the Nes. Probably more releases in computers and such.

CrackTiger

Parasol Stars is also in color on NES, (as is FC Genjin and Famicom Wars), but the PCE version was released first.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

HailingTheThings

Quote from: esteban on 11/28/2014, 06:46 AM
Quote from: HailingTheThings on 11/28/2014, 03:35 AMHad a hard time picking between Cadash and Legendary Axe as my 5th choice. Went with Axe...but only because its an original game created for the PCE/Turbo and not a port. Not that I'm taking anything away from Cadash for being a port, I love that game, just, ah, well, you know what I'm saying. Probably.
I'd vote for Axe over Cadash, too.

Of course, I don't actually vote.

But if I did...
Hehe, you're fun.
IMG

slinkyturd

Quote from: fragmare on 11/28/2014, 12:48 PM
Quote from: slinkyturd on 11/28/2014, 10:32 AM...mostly because legendary axe II only had 10 votes and it's drastically better than the overrated and over voted first one
Somebody is drunk.
Negative. I've never had alcohol. That is cold sobriety speaking the truth.
70/95 US Turbochips

cr8zykuban0

just put my vote in. was really hard to narrow it down!!!! but definitely had to choose blazing lazers and ninja spirit as 2 of my choices. how could you not?

FraGMarE

I'll say it again...

OBEY
THE
FUCKING
NINJA

IMG

jordan_hillman

My original top 5 was Blazing Lazers, Air Zonk, Bonk's Revenge, Dungeon Explorer, and Neutopia II.

But after much thought (mostly playing and very little thinking actually), I discovered that I play Blazing Lazers, Air Zonk, Military Madness, Devil's Crush, and Neutopia II the most nowadays so I'm giving them my votes.
"Live the code, the code of the Dragon!"

dallaspattern

spenoza

I am a bit surprised Dungeon Explorer is being so overlooked. We often hold that up as one of our best. But then, I also love Dragon's Curse and think  it is awesome fun to play, so there is that.

CrackTiger

Quote from: guest on 12/03/2014, 08:13 PMI am a bit surprised Dungeon Explorer is being so overlooked. We often hold that up as one of our best. But then, I also love Dragon's Curse and think  it is awesome fun to play, so there is that.
Dungeon Explorer is the best.

But if these polls are anything like Damon Plus', then people who haven't played everything are skewing the results.

Here's how it turned out a year and a half ago:

1-Bonk's Revenge (127)
2-Air Zonk (91)
3-Blazing Lazers (84)
4-Ninja Spirit (78)
5-Bomberman 93 (75)
6-Bonk's Adventure (74)
7-Neutopia (73)
8-Splatterhouse (68)
9-Devil's Crush (65)
10-Military Madness (52)
10-Dungeon Explorer (52)

jordan_hillman

Quote from: guest on 12/03/2014, 08:13 PMI am a bit surprised Dungeon Explorer is being so overlooked. We often hold that up as one of our best. But then, I also love Dragon's Curse and think  it is awesome fun to play, so there is that.
5-player Dungeon Explorer is hands down one of my favorite multiplayer experiences for any system of any generation.

But If I don't have a buddy or four to play with I can't quite rank it in my top 5. But it's still a damn good game, and it's a regular in my lineup.
"Live the code, the code of the Dragon!"

esteban

Quote from: jordan_hillman on 12/03/2014, 09:14 PM
5-player Dungeon Explorer is hands down one of my favorite multiplayer experiences for any system of any generation.

But If I don't have a buddy or four to play with I can't quite rank it in my top 5. But it's still a damn good game, and it's a regular in my lineup.
Especially when Viking Princess or Robot joins the party. GAUNTLET NEVER HAD A ROBOT THAT SHOOTS LAZERS AS AN UNLOCKABLE CHARACTER.

Granted, I haven't been able to have 5-player game of Dungeon Explorer in many, many years. But even 2-player is friggin' fun!

greedostick

Dragons Curse is the best English Huey in my opinion. My picks were Dragons Curse, Legendary Axe, Bonk's Revenge, Cadash, and Blazing Lazers for a little variety.

I am surprised Ninja Spirit is on top. Great game though. Pretty much all those games rock out.
IMG

Damon Plus

Quote from: guest on 12/03/2014, 08:38 PM
Dungeon Explorer is the best.

But if these polls are anything like Damon Plus', then people who haven't played everything are skewing the results.

Here's how it turned out a year and a half ago:

1-Bonk's Revenge (127)
2-Air Zonk (91)
3-Blazing Lazers (84)
4-Ninja Spirit (78)
5-Bomberman 93 (75)
6-Bonk's Adventure (74)
7-Neutopia (73)
8-Splatterhouse (68)
9-Devil's Crush (65)
10-Military Madness (52)
10-Dungeon Explorer (52)
I  had been thinking of bringing it up for some days now... Most games of the top 10 are the ones who have the most votes in this poll, except for Dungeon Explorer and Bomberman 93. Can't speak for Bomberman, but, even though I really like Dungeon Explorer, and it could enter a Top 10 of mine, it would never even touch a Top 5. Is it a better game than Air Zonk? No. Better than Blazing Lazers? I like DE better, but sincerely, it isn't. Better than Bonk's Revenge? Not at all.

That is my humble opinion.

Ayce

Quote from: guest on 11/28/2014, 10:34 AMGod damn...this is a tough one. It's like you're asking me to pick my favorite child!

(Screw you guys: Dragon's Curse is awesome).

(I didn't vote for it, though).
I second that. I love Dragon's Curse as it has been one of those games that I have been playing since I was in grade school. Not only is it a fun game, but it's far better than many of the other games on the list.

NecroPhile

Quote from: esteban on 12/04/2014, 12:14 AMEspecially when Viking Princess or Robot joins the party. GAUNTLET NEVER HAD A ROBOT THAT SHOOTS LAZERS AS AN UNLOCKABLE CHARACTER.
To be fair, there's no robots in Dungeon Explorer either.

"Herr-derp!  Dragon's Curse is the worstest game evah!!1!  I are so funny!!!!"

Please go fuck yourself.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

johnnykonami

I can't believe the divide on Dragon's Curse we got going on here!  I always thought it was a pretty solid game even if you didn't love the style (which I personally do).

As for Dungeon Explorer, I'm a fan (especially music-wise) but I can't herald it as the best game for the Turbo.  You have to admit it's a little generic looking.  (and I say this from a place of love!)  Air Zonk, Lords of Thunder, Bonk's Revenge, etc.. Are the games you wanna show the naysayers to impress.

CrackTiger

Quote from: johnnykonami on 12/04/2014, 02:44 PMI can't believe the divide on Dragon's Curse we got going on here!  I always thought it was a pretty solid game even if you didn't love the style (which I personally do).

As for Dungeon Explorer, I'm a fan (especially music-wise) but I can't herald it as the best game for the Turbo.  You have to admit it's a little generic looking.  (and I say this from a place of love!)  Air Zonk, Lords of Thunder, Bonk's Revenge, etc.. Are the games you wanna show the naysayers to impress.
One of the things I love about DE and which converted me from being a Genesis fanboy was how unique the aesthetics are. The variety of settings and memorable bosses and polished pixel art. Every combination of number of players is a unique experience, let alone the many different classes you can play as and how they compliment each other.

Zonk seems to be pretty overrated by newer members and although Bonk' Revenge is a good game, I don't think that
showing it to someone is going to be more impressive than many other Turbochip games, especially so-called naysayers. Lords is strictly SCD as far as I know.

johnnykonami

Quote from: guest on 12/04/2014, 03:34 PM
Quote from: johnnykonami on 12/04/2014, 02:44 PMI can't believe the divide on Dragon's Curse we got going on here!  I always thought it was a pretty solid game even if you didn't love the style (which I personally do).

One of the things I love about DE and which converted me from being a Genesis fanboy was how unique the aesthetics are. The variety of settings and memorable bosses and polished pixel art. Every combination of number of players is a unique experience, let alone the many different classes you can play as and how they compliment each other.

Zonk seems to be pretty overrated by newer members and although Bonk' Revenge is a good game, I don't think that
showing it to someone is going to be more impressive than many other Turbochip games, especially so-called naysayers. Lords is strictly SCD as far as I know.
I'm not a huge Air Zonk nut necessarily and I've owned my TG-16 since 1989, but I do think Red Company had some of the best graphics and style on the system.  I wouldn't call Air Zonk or Bonk's Revenge overrated at all in my book, but that's just an opinion.  They're well deserving of high marks.  I didn't own Air Zonk personally (maybe one day) but I grew up with BR and I have always considered it to be one of the most colorful and artful looking games at the time.  I played DE to death and it is memorable in many ways, but it doesn't really fit my definition of polished pixel art.  Something about the overuse of gradients and blandness of the background assets.  But, as you said, great bosses, multiplayer (I really only played single player except for once or twice), and great music.  I look forward to finally getting a copy of DE II because I feel like the cinematics and other added bits and pieces might have given a little more character to the overall aesthetic.

greedostick

Quote from: guest on 12/04/2014, 09:50 AM
Quote from: esteban on 12/04/2014, 12:14 AMEspecially when Viking Princess or Robot joins the party. GAUNTLET NEVER HAD A ROBOT THAT SHOOTS LAZERS AS AN UNLOCKABLE CHARACTER.
To be fair, there's no robots in Dungeon Explorer either.

"Herr-derp!  Dragon's Curse is the worstest game evah!!1!  I are so funny!!!!"

Please go fuck yourself.
''

But Dungeon Explorer II did. B.E.

and Dragon's Curse is the BEST hu-card game. And Legendary Axe is much better than Legendary Axe 2. It's also in my top 5. All my opinion though of course.

But there really is no such thing as a bad Wonder Boy game. Not a action RPG one anyway.
IMG

slinkyturd

Dragon's Crush is garbage and Legendary Axe II is drastically better than its unplayably awful predecessor.
70/95 US Turbochips

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: slinkyturd on 12/05/2014, 04:55 AMDragon's Crush is garbage and Legendary Axe II is drastically better than its unplayably awful predecessor.
Whoa, they made a Dragon's Crush!?

esteban

Quote from: guest on 12/05/2014, 02:04 PM
Quote from: slinkyturd on 12/05/2014, 04:55 AMDragon's Crush is garbage and Legendary Axe II is drastically better than its unplayably awful predecessor.
Whoa, they made a Dragon's Crush!?
I want to play Dragon's Crush, sooooooo badly. It would have been awesome.

slinkyturd

70/95 US Turbochips