PC Engine Homebrew News: The duo that brought you FX-Unit Yuki returns! A demo for "Nyanja!" is available, an action platformer akin to games like Bubble Bobble & Snow Bros in gameplay style.
Main Menu

Turbo Gouging on Ebay ( r.i.p. - gouging much )

Started by NecroPhile, 08/03/2010, 04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjameslv

wilykat

I suspect it's why I got a non-working Turbo CD some years ago. When I opened to check, the caps at the power in was completely blown and it looked like someone used either NES adapter or an adapter with reversed polarity and blew a few components. Luckily the damage was just the first few parts from the DC in wiring, after I separated the leads to blown cap the dock system worked.  Had it recapped, few parts replaced related to blown cap, and eventually sold it for like 5x what I paid (and I get to keep the CD drive).  I didn't need 3 working docks anyway, just wanted a spare working CD unit :D

seieienbu

I love how the item description reads "untested" and it's being sold "as-is" but the text beneath is like "everything's been tested and works great!!"
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

NecroPhile

"Chop Sudo" and apostrophes..... such fail with this one.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

mickcris

The carbon fiber probably makes it at least 4X Turbo

wilykat

Since the seller listed it as used and not as part or repair, and mentioned in the description it works, the buyer can still file claim for return and win if one thing is wrong.  Putting "as is" won't protect the seller.

seieienbu

That's interesting.  So, a Duo, 2 Turbo Expresses, an Everdrive, and a few games for $1,000?  Well, it's a bit tall, but hardly the biggest gauge on ebay.  Buying that whole lot piecemeal would possibly run about that price.  I wonder how high it would go for if it was a legit auction...?

NecroPhile

Quote from: seieienbu on 06/11/2015, 03:24 PMI wonder how high it would go for if it was a legit auction...?
I'd guess somewhere around $500-600.

CrackTiger

That Turbo Duo has no collectard value and strictly a functional system. Even sold individually, the items would like sell in total for around what Necromancer stated.

The description is hilarious and belongs in the "Just bad" thread.

"Up for sale is my very rare extra collectible collectors collection, which is very hard to find. My TurboGrafx collection".
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Zenimus

xcrement5x

Quote from: Zenimus on 06/11/2015, 05:23 PM
Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 06/05/2015, 12:29 PMhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/100-BRAND-NEW-VERY-RAER-Turbo-Grafx-16-System-Keeper-officially-licensed-/321752779924?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae9f5cc94
Those things better be made out of gold and leather good lord!
After clicking that link, now I've got this following me around the net...  :roll:
So that's where all those listing on ebay come from, now I know!
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

NecroPhile

Mmmm, delicious and raer belgian waffles!

Mathius

Quote from: guest on 06/11/2015, 04:49 PMThat Turbo Duo has no collectard value and strictly a functional system. Even sold individually, the items would like sell in total for around what Necromancer stated.

The description is hilarious and belongs in the "Just bad" thread.

"Up for sale is my very rare extra collectible collectors collection, which is very hard to find. My TurboGrafx collection".
The highlighted sentence above may cause injury due to excessive belly laughing.

jtucci31

http://m.ebay.com/itm/231592558275?nav=SEARCH

No price on it yet, but I can only imagine what this "custom painted" Duo will go for

mickcris

Quote from: guest on 06/13/2015, 06:28 PMhttp://m.ebay.com/itm/231592558275?nav=SEARCH

No price on it yet, but I can only imagine what this "custom painted" Duo will go for
hopefully not too much.  It looks like crap. It looks like they painted black over the Turbo Duo logo too as I cannot see it.

seieienbu

It's a real auction with a Duo that probably doesn't work and is absolutely horrible looking.  This, gentlemen, is the current rock-bottom market determined price that a Duo will sell for.

schweaty

Quote from: mickcris on 06/13/2015, 06:47 PM
Quote from: guest on 06/13/2015, 06:28 PMhttp://m.ebay.com/itm/231592558275?nav=SEARCH

hopefully not too much.  It looks like crap. It looks like they painted black over the Turbo Duo logo too as I cannot see it.
its definitely been painted black.  you can tell the difference between the shades of black in the hucard slot and the painted outside part.

that poor poor duo.  i just want to give it a hug

wilykat

Looks like a 5 year old did the painting. You can see the overspray around power button and in the recessed part of the hucard slot.  I'm guessing he used cardboard and a cheap $3 paint cans from Walmart, then handled it before the system was completely dry thus the smudges all over it.

If I know who defiled the system with really sloppy paint job, I would go to his place and apply the same shit paint job to his car or his house.  Dark purple with sloppy neon green polka dots should do the trick.

mickcris

who knows whats going on inside of that thing too:
"the bottom is missing 3 of the 4 corner screws."

also the lens cover tray thing (not sure what its name is) is missing.

schweaty

its up to $130 already with 9 days left.  if crap like this really is selling for that kind of money, i should sell mine and retire to aruba.

wildfruit

CrackTiger

Quote from: wildfruit on 06/14/2015, 04:25 PMHmm I don't think the card matches the case
http://ebay.us/Kk6hB5
It's a scam. He's hoping that someone will be as stupid as he is pretending to be. If the case didn't match it wouldn't be as bad, but it's not being sold as the cheap card that it is. Even if it was a matching Pro card, that price is ridiculous.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Silent Hill

Quote from: guest on 06/14/2015, 05:22 PM
Quote from: wildfruit on 06/14/2015, 04:25 PMHmm I don't think the card matches the case
It's a scam. He's hoping that someone will be as stupid as he is pretending to be. If the case didn't match it wouldn't be as bad, but it's not being sold as the cheap card that it is. Even if it was a matching Pro card, that price is ridiculous.
That seller owns two stores in my area. He is notorious for having large stock, as well as ridiculous prices and poor ethics in his stores.

DeshDildo

Quote from: Silent Hill on 06/16/2015, 09:54 AM
That seller owns two stores in my area. He is notorious for having large stock, as well as ridiculous prices and poor ethics in his stores.
Considering this listing is from Columbus area, and if your PCFX name is the same as your IG tag, you must have come here looking for CD hardware!  (My IG name is shoracer14).  SO if you are who I think you are I offer my biggest welcome to these forums.
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

Silent Hill

Quote from: Desh on 06/16/2015, 10:00 AM
Quote from: Silent Hill on 06/16/2015, 09:54 AM
Considering this listing is from Columbus area, and if your PCFX name is the same as your IG tag, you must have come here looking for CD hardware!  (My IG name is shoracer14).  SO if you are who I think you are I offer my biggest welcome to these forums.
Hey bud! It is me! Funny to run into you here so quickly.

Funny you mention TGCD - I'm hoping to nail a PC Duo tonight and officially start my PC CD collection with Rondo

xcrement5x

Man, that beat up duo going for $130 already, damn.  All their other listings are various videogame stuff, so dude obviously knows it is broke and hoping for a sucker.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

CrackTiger

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

Gentlegamer

IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

Mathius

esteban

Add an "arse" and that would be hairy.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

DragonmasterDan

While not directly Turbo related this goes over the problem with the way ebay works
--DragonmasterDan

mickcris

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pc-Engine-DUO-Turbo-Duo-Super-CD-Rom2-power-supply-AC-DC-adaptor-PAD-124-OEM-/121684877047

$80 for a PCE Duo power supply seems a bit high?  Pretty sure its not dual voltage also like the description says.

Alt-Nintega

ebay prices on retro gaming getting more ridiculous by the minute  ](*,)

wilykat

It's past ridiculous. Look for Eye of the Beholder for Atari Lynx.  One clown wants $15,000 for a CIB version. Here's the kicker, the game was never officially released for Lynx, those are custom made box and manual.

seieienbu

That Pat the nes punk video was kinda gross.

Perhaps I'm thinking about this too much, but isn't price fixing straight up illegal?  ...not that I expect Obama to give a national address stating that "The greatest threat to our great nation is low-level profiteering, price fixing, and price gauging on retro gaming consoles" or anything, but it'd be nice if Ebay didn't seem to want to help out such unsavory practices.

jelloslug

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 06/22/2015, 05:41 AMWhile not directly Turbo related this goes over the problem with the way ebay works
I have done the same experiment except the opposite way. I had several sealed copies of Sidearms. I put one on ebay and the bidding with quite high (to my surprise). I then noticed that other were just buying them cheap on Amazon and trying to resell them. I then sold off the rest of mine at lower and lower prices and now that has seem to have stuck to the point that it rarely sells for more than what you can get it on Amazon for.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: seieienbu on 06/23/2015, 01:45 AMThat Pat the nes punk video was kinda gross.

Perhaps I'm thinking about this too much, but isn't price fixing straight up illegal?  ...not that I expect Obama to give a national address stating that "The greatest threat to our great nation is low-level profiteering, price fixing, and price gauging on retro gaming consoles" or anything, but it'd be nice if Ebay didn't seem to want to help out such unsavory practices.
The person question wasn't price fixing. Just buying up lots of copies.

The price fixing comes from the fact that Ebay gives recommended "market values" to people when they list things. This combined with a lot of other ebay BS has led to ridiculous price spikes in games over recent years.
--DragonmasterDan

seieienbu

mickcris

Quote from: seieienbu on 06/25/2015, 12:25 PMSo, the ugly (and probably broken) Duo went for $132.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231592558275
kind of nuts, but this control pad was bid up to almost $60 recently:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turbo-duo-controller-TurboGrafx-16-NEC-original-very-rare-hard-to-find-/231594959109
So I guess if that is what the controller is worth now, the console and tap were only about half of that $132.

sirhcman

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 06/25/2015, 01:56 PMThis is a new low:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Games-Beyond-Shadowgate-JB-Harold-Murder-Club-TurboGrafx-CD-Turbo-Duo-RARE-/221809418166?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33a4df1fb6
Disc rotted Beyond Shadowgate? Sign me up!
If the pinhole is not in the area of the data it should be fine, I've had a few games like that and they played fine as long as it was in the written portion of the disc

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: guest on 06/25/2015, 02:08 PM
Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 06/25/2015, 01:56 PMThis is a new low:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Games-Beyond-Shadowgate-JB-Harold-Murder-Club-TurboGrafx-CD-Turbo-Duo-RARE-/221809418166?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33a4df1fb6
Disc rotted Beyond Shadowgate? Sign me up!
If the pinhole is not in the area of the data it should be fine, I've had a few games like that and they played fine as long as it was in the written portion of the disc
Right, but it's not worth the asking price. Nowhere near that.

CrackTiger

A playable damaged disc is a functional item and no longer has a premium collectible value.

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: guest on 06/25/2015, 04:28 PMA playable damaged disc is a functional item and no longer has a premium collectible value.
But is it worth $280? Kind of doubt it.

NecroPhile

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 06/25/2015, 05:38 PMBut is it worth $280? Kind of doubt it.
That was his point, it ain't worth that at all.  The last few complete and undamaged ones didn't sell for all that much more, and if a collector is gonna blow hundreds of dollars on a single game, he's gonna pay for a complete one.

NecroPhile

Today's d-bag is a scumfuck peddling loose discs of translated Xak III and Startling Odyssey II for $32.50 each shipped.  Weren't the loose disc all given out for free after Tobias half-assedly tried to atone for screwing over Bonknuts and the other guy(s)?