RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Cheap "EverDrive" for Genesis

Started by vmorr, 07/15/2015, 01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vmorr

Not sure if anyone would be interested in this, but I picked one of these up off AliExpress for $29.94 last night. Bought it off of a different seller but it was a 6h special or something. Someone else has one discounted again for a few cents cheaper:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Arrive-Sega-Everdrive-MD-flash-Cartridge-for-Sega-MegaDrive-Genesis-Game-Card-System-USA-EUR/32345355128.html

I figure for under $30 it sounds like a decent buy, from what some have told me. Anyone here have experience with the clones?

CrackTiger

By buying knock-offs like this, you're screwing over Krikkz, encouraging bootleggers to continue to clone his products and discouraging him from developing new products or refining existing ones.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

LostFlunky

The description is kinda vague  - it could be just a case...

EDIT - nevermind  - I see the rest of the description finally.../

xcrement5x

Quote from: CrackTiger on 07/15/2015, 01:41 PMBy buying knock-offs like this, you're screwing over Krikkz, encouraging bootleggers to continue to clone his products and discouraging him from developing new products or refining existing ones.
Yup, this is pretty much the case.  Plus, a lot of times these things are super glitchy too, and you get 0 support from sellers, whereas Krikkz is willing to help you out if anything is faulty.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

glazball

Really? I have nothing for or against Krikkz but how is his everdrive any more legit than any other knockoff?
glazball's game collection and wantlist

CGQuarterly

Quote from: glazball on 07/15/2015, 02:44 PMReally? I have nothing for or against Krikkz but how is his everdrive any more legit than any other knockoff?
Krikzz Everdrives are not "knockoffs" of anything.  He puts a lot of work into designing them.  Then other people steal the design and sell knockoffs on sites like AliExpress.  What's not to understand?

DragonmasterDan

I bought a Genesis everdrive fairly recently. I looked into some of the cheap knockoffs but in the end felt it was best to spend the extra money and buy the real deal. I'm happy with my decision.
--DragonmasterDan

CrackTiger

Quote from: glazball on 07/15/2015, 02:44 PMReally? I have nothing for or against Krikkz but how is his everdrive any more legit than any other knockoff?
EverDrive isn't a technical term for flashcarts, it's Krikkz's trademarked name for his line of flashcarts which he designs and manufactures himself. Would you buy a "Golden Sun King Playstation 4" console and ask what makes Sony's Playstation 4 system more legit?
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

vmorr

Quote from: guest on 07/15/2015, 02:36 PM
Quote from: guest on 07/15/2015, 01:41 PMBy buying knock-offs like this, you're screwing over Krikkz, encouraging bootleggers to continue to clone his products and discouraging him from developing new products or refining existing ones.
Yup, this is pretty much the case.  Plus, a lot of times these things are super glitchy too, and you get 0 support from sellers, whereas Krikkz is willing to help you out if anything is faulty.
I'm sorry that's the case, but I don't plan on getting much use out of this thing. I'm picking it up to try a few games I'm interested in finding physical copies of to see if they're worthwhile. At $30 its basically a little more than the cost of a basic controller or adapter for my PC to use with an emulator; I figure why not. Everyone says good things about Kirkkz's products and support which I don't doubt but for the time I'll spend actually using it, it's not worth $78+ to me. On the Sega at least.

I would like to pick up an official Turbo EverDrive at some point since the games are seemingly few and far between for me and I'd definitely make more use of it.

SephirothTNH

I'm not sure how the clone genesis everdrives are but the clone n8s are known to be complete garbage.  They are incompatible with many, most?, games.  For your sake hopefully the genesis ones aren't as bad.  But you certainly aren't supporting further everdrive development.

wilykat

You have been had.  Anything sold on Ali is a piss poor imitation, it will not properly play all the games, will be very glitchy, can't use newer OS Krikzz released so no updates, and it will fail very quickly.  I've seen posts on his site where the junk only lasted a few games.

No support from him since it's a fake. Your best bet is to return it for full refund (hope shipping isn't high) and buy only from vendor list on Krikzz's site.

vmorr

Quote from: wilykat on 07/15/2015, 09:55 PMYou have been had.  Anything sold on Ali is a piss poor imitation, it will not properly play all the games, will be very glitchy, can't use newer OS Krikzz released so no updates, and it will fail very quickly.  I've seen posts on his site where the junk only lasted a few games.

No support from him since it's a fake. Your best bet is to return it for full refund (hope shipping isn't high) and buy only from vendor list on Krikzz's site.
I'll review the clone when it arrives.

MotherGunner

Quote from: guestwhereas Krikkz is willing to help you out if anything is faulty.
Kind of like when he helped properly ship some V2 TEDs recently?  :-"
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

cjameslv

Quote from: MotherGunner on 07/15/2015, 10:26 PM
Quote from: guestwhereas Krikkz is willing to help you out if anything is faulty.
Ya we dropped alot of money with that order and they didn't give a sh!t about us and how they messed up the shipping... Not happy with krikkz at all. His support was non existent.

SephirothTNH

I'm not saying he handled the situation right but asking him to ship a bulk order to 3 separate addresses in different countries was probably asking too much to begin with. 

Part of the justification for discounted bulk orders is no doubt the ease of shipping many units to one location. 

I'm not defending krikzz.  I think the right thing to do would have been to at least offer some of those shipping charges back to the those involved.  Or to have said "no I'm not shipping a bulk order to separate addresses" to begin with.  But I'm not going to chastise the guy for it either.  If this had been some normal order I would probably feel differently.

sirhcman

Quote from: SephirothTNH on 07/15/2015, 10:41 PM
I'm not saying he handled the situation right but asking him to ship a bulk order to 3 separate addresses in different countries was probably asking too much to begin with. 

Part of the justification for discounted bulk orders is no doubt the ease of shipping many units to one location. 

I'm not defending krikzz.  I think the right thing to do would have been to at least offer some of those shipping charges back to the those involved.  Or to have said "no I'm not shipping a bulk order to separate addresses" to begin with.  But I'm not going to chastise the guy for it either.  If this had been some normal order I would probably feel differently.
here are the facts: krikkz said he could do multiple ship to's for a bulk order. he fucked up shipping. he didn't fix his mistake or even attempt to offer a solution

he did himself a disservice by screwing over tucci. as i mentioned in another post i was just about to buy two other everdrives from him but have postponed that idea for the time being because of his actions (or lack thereof) in the group buy.

MotherGunner

Surely any intelligent person can handle shipping an order they agreed to from their home business and make good on customer complaints as they arise.  It's only fair after getting your hard-earned money.  But what do I know?  I'm not as smart as krikkz.   :wink:
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

xcrement5x

When talking about faulty stuff I was more talking about issues with broken units, but yeah the shipping thing seems like it was a clusterfuck on his end.  If it was going to be a big deal to ship to multiple locations he should have said so though.

I was in the MegaEverdrive group buy awhile ago and and got a unit that I love it.  I'll never afford Panorama Cotton or Trouble Shooter so it's a great way to mess around with stuff personally.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

sirhcman

Quote from: guest on 07/16/2015, 12:17 PMI was in the MegaEverdrive group buy awhile ago and and got a unit that I love it.  I'll never afford Panorama Cotton or Trouble Shooter so it's a great way to mess around with stuff personally.
I was too, I also have a Turbo Everdrive. Very happy with both units so far!

viper0hr

Yeah, I'd just pay for the legit good ones.
I have an NES Everdrive,a dn a Tg16 one and love them.
Never had any issues.

vmorr

So the "Mega Driver" is finally here. Actually was delivered yesterday but missed it so picked it up today. Basically took as long as I expected.

I was surprised by how well it was packaged; the cart was wrapped in a bubble wrap sleeve, placed in a bubble mailer, inside a box, inside another plastic bag mailer thing. That's first rate packing from China imo.

/2fAvZN.jpg

Tested it with a Model 2/32x combo:

/QNuLEa.jpg

Main menu:

/DCrs2O.jpg

The "About" screen or whatever:

/IfjpJy.jpg

A list of games I put on an 8GB micro SD:

/Wc0cuR.jpg

Loading a game, took about a minute I guess:

/WaB1FU.jpg

Tested two games, Panorama Cotton (MD) and Kolibri (32X); work fine.

‎/xsYfPG.jpg

/ZuJdR9.jpg

No complaints whatsoever at this time. I don't see it blowing up anytime soon either, but if it happens, I'll post about it. Money well spent for now. ‎

schweaty

do sega master system ROMs work as well?

vmorr

Quote from: schweaty on 08/08/2015, 07:42 AMdo sega master system ROMs work as well?
Ah forgot about that. Just tested a couple, had to remove the 32X.

/Gi8oig.jpg

schweaty

the description also says cd bios works as well.  have you tried the mega drive cd bios?

vmorr

Quote from: schweaty on 08/08/2015, 10:12 AMthe description also says cd bios works as well.  have you tried the mega drive cd bios?
No I haven't... I don't have a Sega CD to test with.

wilykat

Power it with CD bios. It'd most likely produce an error screen if you try to "start" a CD game without actual CD hardware. The worst that can happen is your setup self destructs.