WTB: Neo Geo AES or MVS System

Started by stinkoman, 11/11/2015, 10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToyMachine78

Quote from: cr8zykuban0 on 11/13/2015, 10:56 PM
Quote from: guest on 11/13/2015, 06:45 PM
Quote from: guest on 11/13/2015, 05:35 PMIve been playing the hell out of my CMVS since getting it last year and loving every minute of it!

Now you tell me I haven't been getting the legit Neo experience? My non art labled MVS carts are just a cheap knock off? Fuck my life!!! Its all been a sham!!!

That's it. I'm joining Nulltard's gay Craigslist prostitution ring. I'll have money for an AES and a full set of games in no time! Nothing will keep me from having a true neo geo home experience! To make matters better, I'm gonna hold out for a US Themed AES too, and have it region modded, and RGB modded to match my RGB modded US Themed Genesis. I surely do NOT want to buy a separate cord!

Nullard.... Call me!
I made my own cart labels.
IMG
IMG
I'm also working on a set of matching shock box inserts.
those stickers on the carts look pretty sick! lol
I think so too. Wouldn't mind having a few of those.  I like how nice the kitchen looks, then there's a random final fight cab in the corner. Lol 

jtucci31

Quote from: Opethian on 11/13/2015, 08:55 AM2 > X
Why is that? I don't know very much. From what I've heard X was to get rid of the slowdown. Only slugs I have are 2 and 3

bob

The neo geo is equivelant to the foo fighters. They found a "forumla" that appeals to the idiotic masses and stuck with it. And this has nothing to do with the price of anything, im talking about the execution of what is produced.
They found a way to make 90% of the video game "pine riders", people who play once in a while, say "Ohhh, Ahhh, look at those graphics" while providing zero substance at all. I compare this with the foo fighters and people who use thier music to "GET AMPED! Because they sound soooo gooooood!".  Even though its hollow and reptitive.

Another way to look at it, the neo geo is the blonde plastic trophy wife for trust fund babies.

Caseh

Quote from: guest on 11/14/2015, 05:24 PM
Why is that? I don't know very much. From what I've heard X was to get rid of the slowdown. Only slugs I have are 2 and 3
Think of X as MS2.1, it fixes the slowdown and there are quite a few additional changes outside of that.

jtucci31

Quote from: Caseh on 11/14/2015, 06:10 PM
Think of X as MS2.1, it fixes the slowdown and there are quite a few additional changes outside of that.
Right, but Ope is saying 2 is better than X.

Caseh

Quote from: guest on 11/14/2015, 06:11 PM
Quote from: Caseh on 11/14/2015, 06:10 PM
Right, but Ope is saying 2 is better than X.
Personal preference I guess, with the slowdown out of the way 2 would have been perfect. With X they fixed that but tinkered with everything else so those changes wouldn't be to everyone's liking.

Opethian

the color palette in X is wrong sure they fixed the slowdown but at what cost?
Quote from: agent_orange on 11/14/2015, 06:02 PMThe neo geo is equivelant to the foo fighters. They found a "forumla" that appeals to the idiotic masses and stuck with it. And this has nothing to do with the price of anything, im talking about the execution of what is produced.
They found a way to make 90% of the video game "pine riders", people who play once in a while, say "Ohhh, Ahhh, look at those graphics" while providing zero substance at all. I compare this with the foo fighters and people who use thier music to "GET AMPED! Because they sound soooo gooooood!".  Even though its hollow and reptitive.

Another way to look at it, the neo geo is the blonde plastic trophy wife for trust fund babies.
this makes you sound like you never played a neo-geo game or you aren't any good at fighting games.
or both
IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: Opethian on 11/14/2015, 06:31 PMthe color palette in X is wrong sure they fixed the slowdown but at what cost?
Quote from: agent_orange on 11/14/2015, 06:02 PMThe neo geo is equivelant to the foo fighters. They found a "forumla" that appeals to the idiotic masses and stuck with it. And this has nothing to do with the price of anything, im talking about the execution of what is produced.

this makes you sound like you never played a neo-geo game or you aren't any good at fighting games.
or both
The Neo Geo has a crapload of non-street fighting games across many "genres". The library is solid without including any fighters, it's just not as massive as the regular 16-bit consoles.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

BlueBMW

I had an AES briefly.... realized how silly it was to have that much money in a piece of hardware for only a handful of affordable games (I had magician lord and riding hero... yay)  Dumped it, later dumped all my MVS stuff (of which I had quite a bit of good stuff) and all I have left is the Neo Geo CD which I barely use and will probably dump soon.  I'll just emulate the crap now.  Its close enough for me to have fun and I dont have to fumble with old hardware that is only getting more and more expensive and will probably require repair eventually (This is also why I got out of arcade boards)

As such, anyone looking for a front loader Neo Geo CD? :D
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Otaking

I absolutely love the Neo Geo, since it was released over the years I've owned all the library of AES at one point or another, but in more recent years I wouldn't get involved again in buying AES, all the repros floating about make it a complete minefield to collect for.
I only now own a handful of AES games. I'm happy playing the Neo Geo rage X emulator (no relation to that awful Neo Geo X Gold thingy) with the complete rom set. That emulator looks amazing on my 40" LCD TV.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

EvilEvoIX

Zero Substance?  Have you played a Neo Geo Game?  The amount of depth and attention to detail even in a simple fighting game could take years to master.  I don't think you know what you are talking about.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

bob

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 11/15/2015, 03:28 PM

Zero Substance?  Have you played a Neo Geo Game?  The amount of depth and attention to detail even in a simple fighting game could take years to master.  I don't think you know what you are talking about.
yeah, i have palyed plenty.  and honestly, you aren't exactly a ringing endorsement to defend it.

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: agent_orange on 11/15/2015, 04:46 PM
Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 11/15/2015, 03:28 PM

yeah, i have palyed plenty.  and honestly, you aren't exactly a ringing endorsement to defend it. 
Further proving my point that you are obviously too emotional to have an intelligent conversation.  You want to hate without merit?  Fine; have at it.  You appear silly and immature doing so.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

DildoKKKobold

I never enjoy Neo Geo games, as they usually bore me to tears. The main reason is, they never punish you for dying. They were built for arcades, which meant the punishment for dying was to spend more money. Nearly every non-fighting Neo Geo game puts you at the exact same position you died, whether you are dying once, or even starting a new credit. Thus, the feeling of punishment is lost to either a really arbitrary  "Game Over" because you run out of a fixed amount of credits, or you have infinite amounts of credits, which makes the entire process feel hollow and boring.

To me, an enjoyable game punishes you for death, and sends you back to the beginning of the level, and makes you do it until you get it right. My favorite games are the ones that are punishingly difficult, that require a level of expertise and practice to get through them. Games like Mega Man or Ghouls 'n Ghosts serve as good examples. These sorts of games don't exist on the Neo Geo.

That said, if someone enjoys Neo Geo games (and plenty of my friends do), I'm not going to malign their choice of gaming. Gaming is like music. As long as you are enjoying it, who cares what other people think?
For a good time, email: kylethomson@gmail.com
Dildos provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: DildoKKKobold on 11/15/2015, 06:18 PMI never enjoy Neo Geo games, as they usually bore me to tears. The main reason is, they never punish you for dying. They were built for arcades, which meant the punishment for dying was to spend more money. Nearly every non-fighting Neo Geo game puts you at the exact same position you died, whether you are dying once, or even starting a new credit. Thus, the feeling of punishment is lost to either a really arbitrary  "Game Over" because you run out of a fixed amount of credits, or you have infinite amounts of credits, which makes the entire process feel hollow and boring.

To me, an enjoyable game punishes you for death, and sends you back to the beginning of the level, and makes you do it until you get it right. My favorite games are the ones that are punishingly difficult, that require a level of expertise and practice to get through them. Games like Mega Man or Ghouls 'n Ghosts serve as good examples. These sorts of games don't exist on the Neo Geo.

That said, if someone enjoys Neo Geo games (and plenty of my friends do), I'm not going to malign their choice of gaming. Gaming is like music. As long as you are enjoying it, who cares what other people think?
Magician Lord = Ghouls 'n Ghosts, which is also an arcade game. Not every shooter lets you start immediately where you died, in fact I can't think of any that do off the top of my head. Same with Blue's Journey and Ganryu.

Many games in other genres like beat-em-ups typically respawn you where you died. Just like with various 16-bit console arcade ports though, you don't have to opt into unlimited continues.

The arcade nature and smaller size of the library is why I prefer the other 16-bit console libraries, but it's not as shallow as many people make it out to be. It's not like it was bitd when every game purchase was a bif deal. Not that we can play everything for free, games can be enjoyed just for what they are.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

SignOfZeta

This is a really stupid post.
IMG

bob

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 11/15/2015, 08:25 PM

This is a really stupid post.
truth hurts, bruh.

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: CrackTiger on 11/15/2015, 08:21 PMMagician Lord = Ghouls 'n Ghosts, which is also an arcade game. Not every shooter lets you start immediately where you died, in fact I can't think of any that do off the top of my head. Same with Blue's Journey and Ganryu.
I've played Blue's Journey, and you continue exactly where you die. At least in the version I played. Same with Metal Slug, Shock Troopers, Nam 197X, and pretty much every Neo Geo game I've played.

That said, Magician Lord looks like it deserves some time. Good suggestion.
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

bob

Quote from: guest on 11/16/2015, 12:33 AM
Quote from: guest on 11/15/2015, 08:21 PMMagician Lord = Ghouls 'n Ghosts, which is also an arcade game. Not every shooter lets you start immediately where you died, in fact I can't think of any that do off the top of my head. Same with Blue's Journey and Ganryu.
I've played Blue's Journey, and you continue exactly where you die. At least in the version I played. Same with Metal Slug, Shock Troopers, Nam 197X, and pretty much every Neo Geo game I've played.

Dude, dont bother. Its boring as shit.

HailingTheThings

IMG

Caseh

Quote from: guest on 11/15/2015, 06:18 PMI never enjoy Neo Geo games, as they usually bore me to tears. The main reason is, they never punish you for dying. They were built for arcades, which meant the punishment for dying was to spend more money. Nearly every non-fighting Neo Geo game puts you at the exact same position you died, whether you are dying once, or even starting a new credit. Thus, the feeling of punishment is lost to either a really arbitrary  "Game Over" because you run out of a fixed amount of credits, or you have infinite amounts of credits, which makes the entire process feel hollow and boring.

You can make the games as punishing as you like, by not banging continues in like a tard. Just start from the beginning when you lose all your lives. Neo Geo games may have been designed to eat coins but pretty much every game on the system can be done on a single credit.

majors

Quote from: guest on 11/15/2015, 06:18 PMNearly every non-fighting Neo Geo game puts you at the exact same position you died
I wish Pulstar did, ugg, unlike Blazing Star. AES was bad about only giving you 3 credits, one reason to to get that UniBIOS.

I love my Neo, but Neo people not so much :)
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

xcrement5x

Quote from: majors on 11/16/2015, 08:27 AM
Quote from: DildoKKKobold on 11/15/2015, 06:18 PMNearly every non-fighting Neo Geo game puts you at the exact same position you died
I wish Pulstar did, ugg, unlike Blazing Star. AES was bad about only giving you 3 credits, one reason to to get that UniBIOS.

I love my Neo, but Neo people not so much :)
Yeah, without the Unibios I would find a lot of stuff a bit more frustrating to play.  I really is a godsend.

And yes (spoiler) I do suck, I don't have enough time to "git gud" at every game I want.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

EvilEvoIX

I'd love to see someone beat Magician Lord on US. AES Console settings.  Impossible.
IMGIMGIMG

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guest on 11/16/2015, 12:33 AM
Quote from: guest on 11/15/2015, 08:21 PMMagician Lord = Ghouls 'n Ghosts, which is also an arcade game. Not every shooter lets you start immediately where you died, in fact I can't think of any that do off the top of my head. Same with Blue's Journey and Ganryu.

Who gives a shit? It's an arcade game. It consume quarters by design. You can't put Super Mario World in an arcade. That does not mean the games lack depth. Your respawn litmus test of quality is arbitrary and stupid. I can't believe people are even addressing it.

People wouldn't still be playing KOF 97 in massive online tournaments in China in 2015 if the games lacked depth. Watch a high level Magical Drop competition and tell me that's a shallow game for frat boy showoffs.

It's a consolized arcade system, either via homebrew or officially via the AES. Arcade games like Donkey Kong or Spin Jammers have a different kind of depth than Chrono Trigger or Combat, but it's depth all the same. If you can't see that you probably just suck bad at video games.

Seriously, what kind of fuck face on a classic video game forum doesn't recognize arcade games? Preposterous.
IMG

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 11/16/2015, 11:37 AM
Quote from: DildoKKKobold on 11/16/2015, 12:33 AM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 11/15/2015, 08:21 PMMagician Lord = Ghouls 'n Ghosts, which is also an arcade game. Not every shooter lets you start immediately where you died, in fact I can't think of any that do off the top of my head. Same with Blue's Journey and Ganryu.

Who gives a shit? It's an arcade game. It consume quarters by design. You can't put Super Mario World in an arcade. That does not mean the games lack depth. Your respawn litmus test of quality is arbitrary and stupid. I can't believe people are even addressing it.

People wouldn't still be playing KOF 97 in massive online tournaments in China in 2015 if the games lacked depth. Watch a high level Magical Drop competition and tell me that's a shallow game for frat boy showoffs.

It's a consolized arcade system, either via homebrew or officially via the AES. Arcade games like Donkey Kong or Spin Jammers have a different kind of depth than Chrono Trigger or Combat, but it's depth all the same. If you can't see that you probably just suck bad at video games.

Seriously, what kind of fuck face on a classic video game forum doesn't recognize arcade games? Preposterous.
Holy shit this rant was more retarded than usual. You are outdoing yourself Grandpa Zeta.

Also, moron, they DID put SMW in an arcade -

IMG
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

CrackTiger

If you try a street fighting game and only play against the computer, set it to the lowest difficulty, turn away from the screen and mash some buttons until the game is over, it may seem too easy, but you are purposly choosing not to engage the game or explore everything it has to offer. It's the RPG equivalent of watching a youtube video of the ending instead of actually playing the game.

This all reminds me of the lame EGM reviews of Strider 2, when they complained that the game was too easy, because they just ran forward while button mashing and hitting continue until it was over. They might as well have used a game genie code for invincibilty.

You're free to interact with a game however you please, but it's hypocritical to write off a game you can't <10cc because it doesn't offer any challenge.

grendelrt

Actually depending on which version of magician Lord you have you can continue directly where you die, making the game easier to pass.  Two versions of the game are out there, I have the version where you spawn directly where you die.

CrackTiger

Quote from: grendelrt on 11/16/2015, 03:04 PMActually depending on which version of magician Lord you have you can continue directly where you die, making the game easier to pass.  Two versions of the game are out there, I have the version where you spawn directly where you die.
Isn't that alternate version the rare "rental" version that's only been heard of?

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: CrackTiger on 11/16/2015, 02:04 PMThis all reminds me of the lame EGM reviews of Strider 2, when they complained that the game was too easy, because they just ran forward while button mashing and hitting continue until it was over. They might as well have used a game genie code for invincibilty.
Actually, I have the same criticism of Strider 2 (paging galam). Its ridiculous to have a system like the one built into Strider 2, where a continue sends you back one screen, and then blame the player for using it. That is a development flaw, not a player fault. You can't use "Player should have better self-control and not use continues" in your design doc. That is just shitty game design.

Also, the game genie is an external device and the continues are built in. That isn't a comparable situation.
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

SignOfZeta

Did you never go to an arcade? Do you not know how that works?
IMG

NecroPhile

He sounds like the whiners that claim Sapphire is too easy after they play it on easy with max continues.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

ToyMachine78

My experience is this.... You can't beat a neo geo, aes or MVS, for gaming on limited time. If I have 30 mins to kill I hit the CMVS. You can't beat the arcade action for that.

I've also found that it is great at parties. Put a multicart in, and people have a blast.

I love my MVS. The MVS, Genny, and TG16 get the most play in my house, and def not in that order.

CrackTiger

Quote from: NecroPhile on 11/16/2015, 05:35 PMHe sounds like the whiners that claim Sapphire is too easy after they play it on easy with max continues.
Spamming bombs the entire time.

Quote from: guest on 11/16/2015, 06:44 PMMy experience is this.... You can't beat a neo geo, aes or MVS, for gaming on limited time. If I have 30 mins to kill I hit the CMVS. You can't beat the arcade action for that.

I've also found that it is great at parties. Put a multicart in, and people have a blast.

I love my MVS. The MVS, Genny, and TG16 get the most play in my house, and def not in that order.
I've been too busy for games for a while now and most of what I do play is Neo Geo because of this^.

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 11/16/2015, 05:27 PMDid you never go to an arcade? Do you not know how that works?
Clearly you don't, because according to you, spending money is exactly the same as free continues forever!

Also, I never said Neo Geo lacked depth. That was galam. Grandpa Zeta's memory must be going, but it'd be nice to keep arguments straight. Secondly, your argument "He doesn't like Neo Geo, therefore he appreciates no arcade games evar" is about as pants-on-head retarded as they get.

All I said was that Neo Geo bored me, personally. Yeesh.

DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

geise

Quote from: guest on 11/16/2015, 06:58 PMI've been too busy for games for a while now and most of what I do play is Neo Geo because of this^.
That is because the Neo has a lot of really nice, fun, short, and quick pick up and play games. :)

Dark, you're so upbeat and friendly all the time...

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guest on 11/16/2015, 09:15 PM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 11/16/2015, 05:27 PMDid you never go to an arcade? Do you not know how that works?
Clearly you don't, because according to you, spending money is exactly the same as free continues forever!

Also, I never said Neo Geo lacked depth. That was galam. Grandpa Zeta's memory must be going, but it'd be nice to keep arguments straight. Secondly, your argument "He doesn't like Neo Geo, therefore he appreciates no arcade games evar" is about as pants-on-head retarded as they get.

Don't dodge my question, you fucking worm. Have you actually spent real time in arcades or is all your Neo negativity learned while "channel flipping" in MAME?
IMG

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 11/16/2015, 11:02 PM
Quote from: DildoKKKobold on 11/16/2015, 09:15 PM

Don't dodge my question, you fucking worm. Have you actually spent real time in arcades or is all your Neo negativity learned while "channel flipping" in MAME?
Grandpa Zeta, you bring out the best in people. Are you upset because the nurse didn't give you your pudding today?

I've played my friends' AES,  CMVS, and MVS 4 slot cabinet. We've had entire game nights focused around Neo Geo. I've been in an arcade. There was one in our mall, in my home town. There were arcade machines in the roller rink. I currently own an Asteroids and a Tapper. I've owned Tron and Tempest. 

So, just like the rest of your pants-on-head retarded arguments, this falls flat, you "fucking worm."

Speaking of dodging, lets keep a list of what you've dodged:

Your fuck-up, noting that SMW "couldn't" be an arcade game, when it was.

Your fuck-up, thinking I claimed Neo Geo games didn't have depth.
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

HailingTheThings

^Dude, don't fight with Zeta, he started a movement of bedroom rappers. Also he's cute, maybe even more so than you. Maybe.

IMG
IMG

bob

Quote from: guest on 11/16/2015, 09:15 PM

Not once did I say the word "depth". I said it had zero substance.

SignOfZeta

Apparently someone stuck a SNES in a cabinet and I didn't know about. Apparently there is some way to make a 100 world platformer that takes days to beat into an arcade game with minimal hacking. I stand corrected. It sounds like a pretty shitty idea, which is maybe why this exists as a obscure picture on the Internet and not something anyone actually remembers playing.

Substitute my original comment with "World of Warcraft". I'm sure there is some fucked up cyber cafe with a standup WoW machine too, but hopefully this time my point is clear, that WoW is completely unsuitable for the arcade, that arcade games and games you have all the time in the world to play are made differently. Neo games play exactly like arcade games because that's exactly what they are. The notion that they lack "substance" is idiotic. They are flashy and loud because an arcade machine is constantly trying to win a barking war with all the other machines. Only the ones that are actually fun to play stay in service though, and since the Neo lasted for 15 years as an arcade platform I'd say SNK makes pretty compelling software.

The idea that it's a platform for elitist pricks is completely out of context. Oh yeah, the AES is for assholes all right, but the MVS only requires $0.25/¥100 to play and anyone can jump into the game at any time. That's as "common man" as I can imagine. Some Neo dans own all the games, some own none of them but have totally mastered many because you don't need to own anything to play them in the arcade.
IMG

CrackTiger

Isn't the SNES arcade the same as the NES one, in that you are only buying a limited amount of rental time with each credit? That's not the same as an arcade game within the context of the discussion around arcade vs console game design.

And if SMW counts as a real arcade game, then all AES games are console games. But this isn't true as far as the base argument of Neo Geo games being limited by their arcade-play design. So why drag things so far off in a random direction when you understand what was originally meant?

NecroPhile

Because that's the only way DerpKobold can 'win' an argument.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

CrackTiger

Quote from: NecroPhile on 11/17/2015, 01:38 PMBecause that's the only way DerpKobold can 'win' an argument.
It seems that arguing is his only goal/interest.

BigusSchmuck

I feel sorry for the OP as all he was looking for was a AES or a consolized MVS. I think he got way more than what he bargained for.

stinkoman

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 11/17/2015, 01:51 PMI feel sorry for the OP as all he was looking for was a AES or a consolized MVS. I think he got way more than what he bargained for.
These things happen. I decided to pass on owning a neo geo again and just Obey.

Opethian

Quote from: stinkoman on 11/17/2015, 04:19 PM
Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 11/17/2015, 01:51 PMI feel sorry for the OP as all he was looking for was a AES or a consolized MVS. I think he got way more than what he bargained for.
thread winner
IMG

bob

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 11/17/2015, 12:40 PMApparently someone stuck a SNES in a cabinet and I didn't know about. Apparently there is some way to make a 100 world platformer that takes days to beat into an arcade game with minimal hacking. I stand corrected. It sounds like a pretty shitty idea, which is maybe why this exists as a obscure picture on the Internet and not something anyone actually remembers playing.

Substitute my original comment with "World of Warcraft". I'm sure there is some fucked up cyber cafe with a standup WoW machine too, but hopefully this time my point is clear, that WoW is completely unsuitable for the arcade, that arcade games and games you have all the time in the world to play are made differently. Neo games play exactly like arcade games because that's exactly what they are. The notion that they lack "substance" is idiotic. They are flashy and loud because an arcade machine is constantly trying to win a barking war with all the other machines. Only the ones that are actually fun to play stay in service though, and since the Neo lasted for 15 years as an arcade platform I'd say SNK makes pretty compelling software.

The idea that it's a platform for elitist pricks is completely out of context. Oh yeah, the AES is for assholes all right, but the MVS only requires $0.25/¥100 to play and anyone can jump into the game at any time. That's as "common man" as I can imagine. Some Neo dans own all the games, some own none of them but have totally mastered many because you don't need to own anything to play them in the arcade.
I dont care "why" it implimented some of the decisions on how to compete with other arcade games. Im talking about the games themselves. Thats all.

Quote from: stinkoman on 11/17/2015, 04:19 PM
Glad i could help.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Nulltard on 11/17/2015, 03:44 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 11/17/2015, 01:46 PM
Quote from: NecroPhile on 11/17/2015, 01:38 PMBecause that's the only way DerpKobold can 'win' an argument.
It seems that arguing is his only goal/interest.
Except that the arguing had been going on for over 4 pages before he shared his opinion and followed it with the argumentative closing line:

"That said, if someone enjoys Neo Geo games (and plenty of my friends do), I'm not going to malign their choice of gaming. Gaming is like music. As long as you are enjoying it, who cares what other people think?"
I was talking about playing dumb about the rental cabinet SNES arcade hosting SMW, just to have something to continue arguing about. The way that thing operates only proves Zeta's point.

RPGs are my favorite, which is why for years I was in no rush to get a Neo Geo setup while it was still too expensive. Emulation never hooked me in like playing carts did, even the multi-game carts. The 16-bit generation was the most arcade focused and ports and arcade-style PCE games still get the most attention. The Neo Geo library should appeal to most 16-bit fans and it's sizeable enough that there's pretty much something for everyone outside of RPG and sim fans.

I switched from the Genesis to TG-16 as my main console early on because I wanted 16-bit console games and not such arcade-like experiences, so I get it. But trust me as someone who still has the same tastes, the Neo Geo library is much more satisfying than I expected, based on decades of arcade-play and dabbling with emulation.

DildoKKKobold

DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG