RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

PC Engine DUO-R laser motor not working

Started by elartur77, 06/15/2024, 02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elartur77

Hello everyone, hope someone can help me.

Few days ago I got a PC Engine DUO-R very dirty and was sold as not working.

After getting the correct power supply (and the correct tip) I powered on and it worked, I saw the Super CD System 3.0 screen, so I first tested the HuCard part and it worked fine, it booted every Hucard Game I throw at it, but the control pad wasnt working it was very erratic sometimes one button worked sometimes doesnt, so the problem was that the controller port had a cold solder, so I reflow and applied fresh solder and now the controller worked flawlesly.

Then I checked the CD part and at first it began to spin the disk (I just heard it because no window) and it sounded that it was spinning like crazy... and after some time the system just said "set Disc" no CD game worked.

So I took everything apart and tested again and in fact the disc was spinning like crazy very fast but the laser lens never moved at all..even when I released the door switch it keeps spinning but got the "set disc" text.

I tested again without disc just moved the laser to the outer side to see if it moves to the start position and no it never moved, just the motor that spin the disc was spinning like crazy but the motor of the laser doesnt moved at all. I tested the lines that give power to the motor and everything seems fine it receives power on those lines. I took apart that motor and applied some voltage and didnt moved..

Does someone know what could be wrong? Its possible that the laser motor its broken? or should I have to check something else.

Thanks.

Tak-MK

Hi there!
I've never seen a motor failing in any console, but definitely it's a thing that exists, hence, can fail xD
If you applied some voltage to it and it didn't move (and you applied some to the other motor and it did moved just to check your power bench), it's either that you put a low voltage (I don't know the specs of it), or it's definitely dead and it's time to replace it.

elartur77

Quote from: Tak-MK on 06/15/2024, 08:23 PMI've never seen a motor failing in any console

Yeah me neither, thats why I was asking, maybe it was something else..

But now Im sure its the motor failing because I change all the entire pickup with one from a DUO that is working perfect. And it worked perfect in the DUO-R too, so yeah definitely is a bad motor..

Now I need to know where I can get that part, in the motor there is only this text "RD-050Y" I dont know if this is the model, but I didnt find anything..

Does someone knows where I can find that motor or an equivalent? or I have to buy the entire pickup just for that motor?

Or maybe thats the better solution because at this point I dont know if the laser is working fine anyway..

Thanks..

Tak-MK

Quote from: elartur77 on 06/17/2024, 01:32 PMYeah me neither, thats why I was asking, maybe it was something else..

But now Im sure its the motor failing because I change all the entire pickup with one from a DUO that is working perfect. And it worked perfect in the DUO-R too, so yeah definitely is a bad motor..

Now I need to know where I can get that part, in the motor there is only this text "RD-050Y" I dont know if this is the model, but I didnt find anything..

Does someone knows where I can find that motor or an equivalent? or I have to buy the entire pickup just for that motor?

Or maybe thats the better solution because at this point I dont know if the laser is working fine anyway..

Thanks..

https://www.reddit.com/r/TurboGrafx/comments/ko0ux9/anyone_know_where_i_can_buy_a_motor_for_the_pc/

It seems someone had the same issue 4 years ago...

Keith Courage

Sounds like a bad motor. Have you tried spinning the motor using your finger? Sometimes you can do this to get the motor working again, at least temporarily.

I have a bunch of extra motors from full CD lens assemblies I order for parts. For just the motor, how about $10 shipped in the US?

elartur77

Quote from: Keith Courage on 06/19/2024, 06:07 AMSounds like a bad motor. Have you tried spinning the motor using your finger? Sometimes you can do this to get the motor working again, at least temporarily.

I have a bunch of extra motors from full CD lens assemblies I order for parts. For just the motor, how about $10 shipped in the US?

Yeah I tried everything I even open the motor and tried to fix it but it didnt move, maybe I broke it beyond repair haha.. a well..

Thank you very much Keith for your offer, but Im not from US Im from Mexico and shipping cost could be expensive for me..

Neveretheless thank you very much..

elartur77

For anyone interested, I found a seller on Yahoo Japan that sells the exact same model. RD050YA04584A

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k1142234678

The price is for 2 motors, I think it was a very good deal.

I'll wait until it arrives to try it and update the comments.

Thanks everyone for the help.

elartur77

Update about my problem..

Now its fully working!!

I got the replacement motor, put it in place, and viola! it worked flawlesly!!

The laser was in great condition, it read inmediatly everything I threw at it, orginals CD, SCD, backups, Music CDs..and sounds great..

Thank you everyone that helped with your recomendations..

Here are some pictures..

https://imgur.com/a/TYFSajw

And Yeah.. sometimes  you could have a bad motor...

NightWolve

Congrats! I haven't been optimistic with all these repair threads but at least it's new content giving the forum some purpose/activity.

Tak-MK