PC Engine Homebrew News: The duo that brought you FX-Unit Yuki returns! A demo for "Nyanja!" is available, an action platformer akin to games like Bubble Bobble & Snow Bros in gameplay style.
Main Menu

NEC PC-FX Homebrew (Alpha) - Cascade FX (3D graphics !)

Started by gameblabla, 10/06/2024, 06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameblabla

CascadeFX-title.webp cascadefx_scr2.webp
demo.webp

Cascade FX

Here's a 3D sofware rendered puzzle (Tetris) game for the PC-FX (and also Casio Loopy but i won't say too much about it :P) !
This is an early alpha build with only arcade mode and a mostly empty "Puzzle" mode that will get more content later.
Press A to rotate the piece and dpad to move it around.
All of the puzzle pieces are actual 3D models, nothing is being faked or prerendered !

Video

Video comparing the two versions (PC-FX and Casio Loopy)

Download
https://github.com/gameblabla/CascadeFX/releases/tag/0.1

On real hardware you have two options :
- Burn it on CDR with imgburn. (make sure you use gold rated CDRs and a decent burner)
- David Shadoff's dev cartridge (In which case, you won't get any CDDA music)

Changelog
0.3 (PC-FX only)
- Fix game breaking bugs
- Fix puzzles and added more
- Minor enhancements

0.2 (PC-FX only)
- Improve rendering of 3D models (still not quite perfect for cube at titlescreen though)
- Improve speed for Cube at titlescreen
- Improve text rendering (not using VDC fonts anymore)
- Improve speed during ingame
- Forcing Vsync (not that the game exceeded 60 FPS but it's good to have)
Gameblabla's Website (Emulation/Homebrew Projects) - https://gameblabla.github.io/

NightWolve

Hey @gameblabla, thanks for stopping by and sharing your PC-FX work!

For some reason I actually didn't see this thread till a week later! I need global email notifications turned on as admin to know if ANY post is made since our forum here is slow and I don't check up on it as often.

Anyway, yeah, I remember this demo from the discord, it's PCFX 3D Tetris!

demo.webp

gameblabla

Quote from: NightWolve on 10/13/2024, 06:50 PMAnyway, yeah, I remember this demo from the discord, it's PCFX 3D Tetris!
Well don't tell the tetris company :P

Updated the game : there was a pretty bad game breaking bug. Lines were not being cleared properly.... :/ It made the game too easy.
This is now fixed so my bad ! The funny thing is that, i exactly show it off in my video but no one told me :D
If you wonder why : the NEC PC-FX doesn't exactly like 8-bits integers. I switched to 32-bits integers and it addressed the issue.

I also switched to quad rendering instead, altho it was a mostly minor enhancement performance wise (the bottleneck is elsewhere anyway) but the other benefit
is that it fixed an issue with it sometimes overdrawing too much... this is now being done properly.

I added more puzzles to puzzle mode now that the game is more stable : they're not exactly challenging to be honest so i invite people to come up with some better ones. :P

Since last version, i also added more sound effects (really basic ones) and more stuff. For those that haven't played it yet, i suggest they give it a try now !
Gameblabla's Website (Emulation/Homebrew Projects) - https://gameblabla.github.io/