RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

If Dragon's Curse were remade...what would you change?

Started by ParanoiaDragon, 04/08/2011, 12:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ParanoiaDragon

First, don't get yer hopes up, this isn't an actual project that is happening.  This is just a personal dream I'd like to do someday.

Anways, what would you change about it?  My main reason for this at all, is cuz I feel like they could've done better graphically at the time.  I feel the game could easily support horizontal paralax.  I don't recall it ever having any vertical scrolling, plus, there's not alot going on onscreen, so sprites could be used for paralax as well.  Also, I've thought about if we ever did this, I'd probably want to use alot of tiles & sprites from Monster Lair, Dynastic Hero, & New Adventure Island to improve the look in general.

Musically I'd make it mostly redbook, but there would still be some chip tunes.  I thought maybe in shops, I'd leave those as chiptunes, & then possibly add an adpcm sample for a few phrases for the shop keeper to say like "thank you".  I'd also keep the tune that is used in the castle where Mouseman is falling down(which I believe it from Wonderboy in Monsterland).  Id' maybe make different sounding versions of the castle themes, that could work with each castle's theme.  And probably make a an alternate version of the beach tune, to use for when the screens that are accessible to Pirahnaman.

As for the gameplay itself, I'd like to change the way the character is hit.  In otherwords, I hate how he bounces around when hit, that's always been a major gripe with me.  I'd maybe like to improve the battle system ever so slightly.  At the very least, make the swords slightly longer(especially the mouse's), though, I'm sure that would also require some adjusting in the difficulty has well to balance it out.  I wouldn't mind a downthrust, but no matter what would want to keep Tigerman as the top swordsman, since, that's his main advantage.
IMG

esteban

I would want all the shopkeepers/innkeepers/NPC's to be smoking cigars in their portraits.

I'm serious :)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

nat

Dragon's Curse is one of those games that is pretty much perfect the way it is. The ONLY thing I've thought is strange/not polished about it is the way the grass platforms over the water are perfectly rectangular. I mean, c'mon, these should have been rounded off.

The game has one of the best chip soundtracks ever, BTW, I wouldn't change a thing.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

esteban

Quote from: nat on 04/08/2011, 08:58 PMDragon's Curse is one of those games that is pretty much perfect the way it is. The ONLY thing I've thought is strange/not polished about it is the way the grass platforms over the water are perfectly rectangular. I mean, c'mon, these should have been rounded off.

The game has one of the best chip soundtracks ever, BTW, I wouldn't change a thing.
I agree, though, since we're fantasizing, I would love NEW, ADDITIONAL CHIPTUNES. They would only be available if you paid to hear them at the inn.

DesmondThe3rd

I just wish the game was longer. I already finished it three times.

henrycsc

Dragon's Curse itself is perfect.... except that it eventually ended.  I think my favorite part of the game is the concept of needing each of the different characters to solve puzzles and get to places the others can't get to.

But... if you're gonna dream....  Why not make it PCE character inspired?  See Super Mario Crossover here
( http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/534416 )

Wouldn't it be cool to have a Dragon's Curse style platformer, where the resultant "curses" turned you into PCE legends? 
Lizard Man as Bonk (Simple yet affective, too bad his head is too big to fit in confined spaces   :twisted: )
Mouse Man as Bomberman  (Bombs for killing, tunneling, or even launching himself to get to otherwise inaccessible places  :dance: )
Piranha Man as Momo (Yeah, and under water as Deep Blue done right  :wink: )
Tiger Man as Richter (If it's too much like Simon, then Maria, Damn it!  :)  )
Hawk Man as Zonk  (Imagines flying enemies and some of Zonk's weapons   =P~  )
And don't stop there.....  How about
Ostrich Man Ozzie (Tunneler supreme!   8) )
Mech Man Gunhed (Lazer Beams, In My Dreams  8-[ )

Ah to dream!   At least the original is perfect!  :D
Wanted:
Bootleg Hucards (Hong Kong, China)
Third Party Hardware (US, Japan, China, Europe, Korea)
Canadian Boxes and Manuals (French text)
Ton's of Trades available - just PM me.

ParanoiaDragon

That's actually a neat idea about turning it into a PCE who's who :-k  I mainly just think the gfx themselves could've been pumped up more for the time it was released.  And in general, the Turbo can obviously do alot more then what was done.  As for the music, oh believe me, I LOVE the music in this game, no doubt!  However, if I ever were to get someone to work on a cd version of this, I'd have to make music, partially cuz that's my main thing.  I'm no coder or artist.  I think I want an excuse to make my own versions of the songs I love so much :D
IMG

TheClash603

Add a "Master Quest."  This is one of the few non-shooters I have beat multiple times, leave it alone!

_Paul

I'd give it a realistic graphical style similar to Dracula X.

Not because I don't like the cute stuff, just because.

CrackTiger

I'd restore the SMS charm bonuses (secret warps, endless bosses, etc). Otherwise, I'd redraw the background graphics to be very colorful and shaded and heavy on nice stylized art like MWIV. Anything that can be added go extend play time, like bonus random dungeons that increase in rewards and some kind of scoring or ranking. A good ending with cinemas throughout the game would be very nice.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Joe Redifer

I'd do what CrackTiger suggested and take out the sprite hacks and restore the PROPER, original sprites from Wonder Boy III The Dragon's Trap, only more colorful for the Turbo.

henrycsc

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 04/09/2011, 01:34 AMThat's actually a neat idea about turning it into a PCE who's who
Well, if anyone decides to take on such a project, I would love to try to help out.  Not sure what I can do, but I would love to be involved in some way.
Wanted:

ParanoiaDragon

Yeah, it's one of my dream projects.  No one's offered to code or anything, & I know we have plenty of other stuff on our plate(both Frozen Utopia & Eponasoft) at this time for any of us to get involved.  Graphically I think CrackTiger summed it up well as for what I want.
IMG

CrackTiger

Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

ParanoiaDragon

Holy shnikes, I love it, love it, LOVE IT! :shock:  Maybe the only other thing I'd personally want, is something in the lower part of beside just the clouds.  Not sure what, I was kinda thinking some smaller buildings in the bg to paralaxally scroll, though, I'm not totally 100% sure on that.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: guest on 04/10/2011, 02:07 AMOriginal (left), DeLuxe (right)
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. It is, in a word, exactly what I want. :)

NecroPhile

That looks pretty sexy, except for the deleted trees.  Did you have to cut 'em down to make the extra windows and to frame the steep gable roofs?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

TurboXray

ParanoiaDragon

Nice!  Now all we need is a playable engine for the game, & we can get rolling on this :D
IMG

blueraven

QuoteRe: If Dragon's Curse were remade...what would you change?
It would have been free.

CrackTiger

Quote from: NecroPhile on 04/11/2011, 09:57 AMThat looks pretty sexy, except for the deleted trees.  Did you have to cut 'em down to make the extra windows and to frame the steep gable roofs?
The trees I reworked from WBIII were twice as wide as the cone-style trees in Dragon's Curse.

This was just a rushed example that I threw together one evening. If doing it for real, among other things I'd recolor everything and would use a more realistic rock pattern than the spotted stuff and put trees and or bushes or something in the background behind the city.

Quote from: TurboXray on 04/12/2011, 02:34 AMCrackTiger: /demos/Dragons_curse_demo.zip  :mrgreen:
Holy crap! :shock: Now I wish I'd polished it off more. :P It sure is cool seeing that running in an emulator. Now I really want a remaster DC! :D

Mathius

SuperPlay

CrackTiger

Quote from: NecroPhile on 04/11/2011, 09:57 AMThat looks pretty sexy, except for the deleted trees.  Did you have to cut 'em down to make the extra windows and to frame the steep gable roofs?
Wow, I totally thought that you were talking about the number of individual trees on the map (I had to drop 1 or 2 for space). Only just now did I realize that they all got lost somewhere along the way. :P

Too bad I didn't figure this out before Bonknuts turned it into an actual rom. #-o Anyway, here it i with the trees I intended to be included-

IMG

TurboXray

Ohh, I must have missed this update. Nice :D Now just get someone over in RHDN to do a level/map/tile editor and update the game ;)

jlued686

First thing I would change? Ditch the damn password system. Long passwords keep me from playing a lot of games these days. Daddy needs a save system. ;)

Mathius

Quote from: guest on 09/09/2011, 02:23 PMFirst thing I would change? Ditch the damn password system. Long passwords keep me from playing a lot of games these days. Daddy needs a save system. ;)
If you play it with a Turbo Booster Plus or on a Turbo CD/Duo you can save your game into the system's internal memory.

henrycsc

WOW!  Superb, CrackTiger!

This indeed drool worthy!
Wanted:

jlued686

Quote from: Mathius on 09/09/2011, 02:35 PMIf you play it with a Turbo Booster Plus or on a Turbo CD/Duo you can save your game into the system's internal memory.
Ah shit! Good to know! Thank you, sir!

Mathius

Quote from: guest on 09/09/2011, 07:51 PM
Quote from: Mathius on 09/09/2011, 02:35 PMIf you play it with a Turbo Booster Plus or on a Turbo CD/Duo you can save your game into the system's internal memory.
Ah shit! Good to know! Thank you, sir!
No problano :)

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

CrackTiger

Dragon's Curse has one of the shortest and simplest password systems for a game of that complexity for its time (8 & 16-bit). So much so, that I regularly played through the game on my Turbo Express.

jlued686

Quote from: Tatsujin on 09/11/2011, 04:34 AMlol who didn't know :)
Lots of stuff swimmin' around in my head. Not all of it comes to the surface, ya know? ;)

Quote from: CrackTiger on 09/11/2011, 04:23 PMDragon's Curse has one of the shortest and simplest password systems for a game of that complexity for its time (8 & 16-bit). So much so, that I regularly played through the game on my Turbo Express.
True, but I'm a lazy, lazy man.

Mathius

Dungeon Explorer is the simplest of all teh passwords. :)

Keranu

I know Ys I & II passwords like the back of my hand.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

CrackTiger

Quote from: Mathius on 09/11/2011, 08:42 PMDungeon Explorer is the simplest of all teh passwords. :)
I will never forget

DEBDE
DEBDA

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: guest on 09/12/2011, 01:24 PM
Quote from: Mathius on 09/11/2011, 08:42 PMDungeon Explorer is the simplest of all teh passwords. :)
I will never forget

DEBDE
DEBDA
Ha, I can't tell you how many times I've used that code over the years, that should be our equivilent of the Konami code!
IMG