@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Let's talk about pce racing games

Started by kazumn, 04/02/2013, 03:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kazumn

Since i coulden't find a thread about it and considering atleast 10% of the entire pc engine libary consist of racing games. What are your favourites, what is fun to play, what sucks, great multiplayer, hidden gem etc.
Apart from shoot em ups, racing games are my favourite genre i can dig some of those hudson top down f1 racers from time to time.

soop

I never played any of those.  I've heard bad things.  More than that though, it reminds me of a game I bought for the AMiga, which I assumed was like Supercars or super sprint or such, but ended up like one of the F1 games (Monaco?).  That reminds me though, I need to try Motoroader MC.  I like both the Motoroader games.

The other, "into the screen" games like chase HQ and outrun tend to be a little choppy for my liking.
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

esteban

Quote from: soop on 04/02/2013, 05:45 AMI never played any of those.  I've heard bad things.  More than that though, it reminds me of a game I bought for the AMiga, which I assumed was like Supercars or super sprint or such, but ended up like one of the F1 games (Monaco?).  That reminds me though, I need to try Motoroader MC.  I like both the Motoroader games.

The other, "into the screen" games like chase HQ and outrun tend to be a little choppy for my liking.
I much prefer Rad Racer/Out Run/Victory Run/Chase HQ to the other racing games on PCE.

MotoRoader MC is UNLIKE its predecessors in that you have ONE SCREEN with TINY TINY TINY cars that race around (like Super Sprint or Off Road...except not nearly as addictive and fun and fantastic as Super Sprint and/or Off Road).

I really haven't given MotoRoader MC a final verdict because I have yet to invest a lot of time in it and get far (I keep replaying the same first bunch of tracks) and I really want to see if it can provide at least some of the thrill of Super Sprint...IT SHOULD, GODDAMMIT.

STATUS: Sadly, a lot of the PCE racing games are mediocre, at best. YOU'D THINK THAT A DECENT NUMBER OF THEM WOULD BE SOLID...but you would be mistaken.

LISTEN: MotoRoader Tunes
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

fraggore

Mmm motoroader is good but 2 is much better from what I remember as for motoroader mc never really liked it.
Outrun is fun.
F1 circus 91 and 92 are pretty good tho dame hard.
Zero4 champ is pretty crap.
f1 dream haven't really played it much but my mate loved it.
Power drift is pretty bad but I have played a lot.
Victory run haven't played it yet will give it ago.
The 2 chasehq games are ok but they have aged really bad.

My favourite racing game on the system is legend of deko boko looks like crap but I love it.
I always wanted a thing called tuna sashemie

"All your base are belong to us"

Tatsujin

most of the 8-/16-bit racers are medicore, not counting some very few SFC mode-7 racers exceptions.

fact is that the home consoles were so much underpowered at that time to even rudimentarily be able to compete with the arcade power horses especially those from the sega stable, that they all looked very mignon at best compared.

look at the mega drives racer repetoire, there isn't much that can hold a good candle up to the pce's repetoire. let alone all the real 8-bitters.

only with the much later 32-bit era, real arcade racers were finally possible within the four own walls.

I would say that out run, victory run (especially for a 1987 release title), final lap twin, S.C.I., power drift etc. hold a fair good candle up to the 16-bit era of racers. especially out run was very impressive for its time.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

majors

Victory Run is fun, I've been playing it a lot recently.

I picked up Chase HQ and S.C.I. not too long ago, just b/c the seller had both...complete collection :). Both are 'meh IMO. Way to twitchy on the controls.

I like Motoroader b/c it reminds me of a 90's arcade racing game (name eludes me ATM). It has it's flaws, but it IS a different type of racing game.

I gave away my Power Drift...ug, no love for poor Sega scaler ports.

The top-down F1 games never floated my boat, I do not have the reaction time to make the turns but I think for F1 fans, part of the game is memorizing the courses.

Final Lap Twin does have the RPG gimmick.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

soop

I agree somewhat with tats.  I loved the arcade racers of the era (notably Chase HQ, the coin-munching rascal, and Road Blasters), but every conversion I played was sadly mediocre.

However.

I think there were games that put up a pretty decent job of that type - I think Final Lap Twin and Bari Bari Densetsu are pretty damn smooth, and the jittery scaling of other games could learn a lot from them.  It's just sad that BB Densetsu has no music and is less of an arcade racer and more of a drawn out grand prix.  And a shame Final Lap is just 1 on 1.

_Paul

Out Run is a great conversion and one of the best racers on the PCE.
Power Drift is one of the few cards that I have traded in (later re-acquired) but is not as bad as it first looks. It can actually be quite exciting and you have to give them credit for such an ambitious conversion.

Bt Garner

What, no love for Knight Rider?  Oh, yeah, April 1 was yesterday.  Sorry.

esteban

Ha! I totally forgot about Final Lap Twin. That game holds up even if you don't delve into the RPG quest.

Final Lap Twin is just fun to play, especially with another person.

Quote from: runinruder on 04/02/2013, 01:43 PMGood:
Final Lap Twin
Chase H.Q.
Moto Roader
Moto Roader II
Road Spirits
Knight Rider Special

Okay:
Victory Run (ESTEBAN APPROVED FOR FOLKS WITH SKILLS! :pcds:
Power Drift
Racing Damashii
Out Run

Bad:
S.C.I.
Legend of Dekoboko
F1 Circus
F1 Circus '91
F1 Circus '92
F1 Circus Special
I agree about Victory Run...especially since the original post stated he was looking beyond games like that...

OF COURSE VICTORY RUN gets bumped up from "OK" to  "GOOD" if you have skills and get into it. :pcgs:
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

turboswimbz

I like road spirits but I can't change the cars? is there a secret to it I'm missing?
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

ccovell

You can't change the cars after you start the game in Road Spirits.  There are several cheats that I discovered, tho...  https://www.chrismcovell.com/games_illustrated/arc-road_spirits.html#cheats

You could enter the stage select code and choose different cars for each stage.

turboswimbz

Thanks. I've never paid attention to the are you ready before the first screen, although i shoulda guessed based on all the other courses. Too bad this games time limits are tighter on the later stages.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

soop

What was that rally game on Super CD?  That one looks really good, I've been wanting it for ages.

Tatsujin

<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

soop

runinruder

Quote from: soop on 04/03/2013, 06:15 AM
Quote from: Tatsujin on 04/03/2013, 05:56 AMI think that does not exist.
ORLY? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-RALLY-CHAMPIONSHIP-PC-ENGINE-SCD-/290529624634?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a4ea423a

I've seen a few pictures, but it's never been on PCEngine.co.uk or PCEdaisakusen
It's listed on both sites as Championship Rally, which is also how the title is written in katakana on the cover.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

soop

Quote from: runinruder on 04/03/2013, 06:40 AM
ORLY? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-RALLY-CHAMPIONSHIP-PC-ENGINE-SCD-/290529624634?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a4ea423a

I've seen a few pictures, but it's never been on PCEngine.co.uk or PCEdaisakusen
It's listed on both sites as Championship Rally, which is also how the title is written in katakana on the cover. 
Ohhhhh :P

majors

Quote from: esteban on 04/02/2013, 05:56 PMOF COURSE VICTORY RUN gets bumped up from "OK" to  "GOOD" if you have skills and get into it. :pcgs:
Wholeheartedly agree.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

Yamazaki

I finished Zero4Champ back when I was a student in Japan.

Quite some fun game!

csgx1

Quote from: runinruder on 04/02/2013, 01:43 PMGood:
Final Lap Twin
Chase H.Q.
Moto Roader
Moto Roader II
Road Spirits
Knight Rider Special

Okay:
Victory Run
Power Drift
Racing Damashii
Out Run

Bad:
S.C.I.
Legend of Dekoboko
F1 Circus
F1 Circus '91
F1 Circus '92
F1 Circus Special
S.C.I. is considered bad and Chase HQ & Knight Rider are considered good? 

These three games essentially have the same game play.  I beat all three games and I like S.C.I. a little bit more.  The controls in Knight Rider seems somewhat 'floaty' and the difficulty get pretty hard in the later stages.

esadajr

At least PCE Knight Rider is better than the NES version.
Gaming since 1985

esadajr

Quote from: runinruder on 04/03/2013, 06:40 AM

Maybe not a Sega Rally but looks decent
Gaming since 1985

Tatsujin

Digi.k

Quote from: esteban on 04/02/2013, 08:01 AM
Quote from: soop on 04/02/2013, 05:45 AMI never played any of those.  I've heard bad things.  More than that though, it reminds me of a game I bought for the AMiga, which I assumed was like Supercars or super sprint or such, but ended up like one of the F1 games (Monaco?).  That reminds me though, I need to try Motoroader MC.  I like both the Motoroader games.

I much prefer Rad Racer/Out Run/Victory Run/Chase HQ to the other racing games on PCE.

STATUS: Sadly, a lot of the PCE racing games are mediocre, at best. YOU'D THINK THAT A DECENT NUMBER OF THEM WOULD BE SOLID...but you would be mistaken.
Yup this..

I would have loved to have seen a Victory Road 2 or a racing game by Konami... ah well

Tatsujin

Outrun is very good. Nothing to complain there for a lil gamemachine from 1987.
and it's not that the MD has much better racer, even when it should.

roflmao

Quote from: Tatsujin on 04/24/2013, 07:15 PMOutrun is very good. Nothing to complain there for a lil gamemachine from 1987.
PCE Outrun is awesome (anyone have a spare they'd like to trade to me? :P).

I picked up Virtua Racing for the Genesis a week or two ago and it's shockingly fun.  I'm seriously impressed at how well it plays, considering it's running on a Genesis.  Sure, they're probably hiding a mini 32X or something inside that cart, but it's still impressive.

Bardoly

Quote from: guest on 04/24/2013, 09:01 PM
Quote from: Tatsujin on 04/24/2013, 07:15 PMOutrun is very good. Nothing to complain there for a lil gamemachine from 1987.
PCE Outrun is awesome (anyone have a spare they'd like to trade to me? :P).
This guy has one up for sale/trade.

If that doesn't work out, then I might have an extra one lying around.

roflmao

Quote from: Bardoly on 04/24/2013, 09:14 PMThis guy has one up for sale/trade.

If that doesn't work out, then I might have an extra one lying around.
Thanks.  I saw that right after I posted here and have sent him a PM.  I'll let you know if I'm still looking. :)