pe engine and cd units

Started by musicman130, 04/03/2015, 05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

musicman130

I collect systems and have been using an emulator for some games on the system and love them and would like to purchase a system so that I can have a real one and some games.  I have put up a topin on the atari age forums and was told about this site.  So for my first post here, what is the best setup for games on this system. I do know that I want Cd and Hue card capability as I love shooters and have watched videos of some of them on the CD unit and they look great.  I know you can get a coregrafx and cd add on, or you can get a duo or a duo-r, duo-rx and am very confused.  I plan on getting the system, getting some games and then purchasing an everdrive as I have looked on ebay at the price of games and I don't have that type of money.  I have read different articles about the systems and while it helped... still confusing with this system so anything will help me out.  Plus it would be nice to know how much I am looking at spending on a system, multi tap, 2nd controller, and a few games.

Thank you!

BlueBMW

I think its generally recommended to get either a PC Engine DUO unit that has been recapped / refurbished or a PC Engine Duo R/RX system.  Generally people recommend you stay away from the original CDROM2 add on units because of hardware failures etc.  Plus the DUO units are just sexy.

One thing you should be aware of though... the CD drives in all these systems have trouble reading CDRs.  The answer is generally to try and use originals whenever possible.  If you have to burn CDRs, then use very high quality CDRs.  Even then, they dont always work right.

Good luck!
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

NecroPhile

BMW nailed it.  The original systems with add-on cd are nice and all, but they'll generally cost more in the long run.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

CrackTiger

PC Engine (not Turbo) Duo (R/RX) system + Arcade Card Duo + Turbo Everdrive = play every game (n)ever made.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

elmer

Quote from: guest on 04/03/2015, 06:15 PMPC Engine (not Turbo) Duo (R/RX) system + Arcade Card Duo + Turbo Everdrive = play every game (n)ever made.
Haha ... I can't let you get away with that ... you're missing 5 games ... including 2 of the very best!  [-X

SuperGrafx + SuperCDROM + Arcade Card Duo + Turbo Everdrive = play every game (n)ever made.  :wink:

But more seriously ... Duo-R + Arcade Card Duo + Turbo Everdrive seems like the best deal these days to get started ... with the briefcase, the Duo and the SuperGrafx being great add-ons when you're already hooked.

musicman130

so you have to buy the arcade card separately, correct?  I have seen a list of the arcade and there are not a ton of games for it and, if I remember correctly, isn't the arcade card rather expensive?   I am just going to get a start and probably a duo-r would be best from my research, just a matter of where to get one.  Then I can buy an everdrive and eventually the arcade.

elmer

Quote from: musicman130 on 04/03/2015, 07:43 PMso you have to buy the arcade card separately, correct?  I have seen a list of the arcade and there are not a ton of games for it and, if I remember correctly, isn't the arcade card rather expensive?
Yes, it's an extra ... and only needed for those Arcade Card games. Getting a Duo/Duo-R/Duo-RX/SuperCDROM means that you can get the cheaper Arcade Card Duo ($40-$60), if you went for a briefcase, you'd need the much more expensive Arcade Card Pro.

Getting a Duo-R for playing CD/SuperCD games ... then adding a Turbo Everdrive for all the HuCard games ... then finally adding an Arcade Card Duo for the few Arcade Card games ... seems like a really good plan! You've obviously done your research.

[EDIT]
If you wait a couple of months for the Turbo EverDrive, then there will probably be a few of them going cheap as some people upgrade to the new Turbo EverDrive 2.

The TED2 isn't needed for any existing games ... but it may get used for translations/homebrew. Some people are always going to want to have the latest thing.  :wink:

musicman130

I have done a lot of research on this.  I was going to get a US TG-16 unit only, but then I saw if I wanted anything but RF out I would need an upgrade and those can be expensive.  I then thought ok, coregrafx system but then saw some CD games that look great.  Did research and from all I hear the US duo's are not good.  Japanese Duo's are OK, the -r are great and the -rx are basically -r's with an x after it.  Reliability is obviously #1 on this large of an investment.  that combined with how few US games compared to Japanese games makes me want  the Japanese version.  Not sure how many games do not have English in them at all and are thus unplayable.  Also from what I understand the CD unit/duo units have a save for your games that have save capability and if I would go TG16, I would need an extra thing for that too.  Now, to find a Duo-R system for a decent price.  something tells me I should have looked for these years ago and they would have been cheaper.

Opethian

everything was cheaper in the past

live for the now

carpe turbob
IMG

geise

If anyone here ever pays more than $30 for an Arcade Card Duo I will slap them.  No fucking reason people should be paying more.  I hear nonsense lately with how expensive it is.  Word to the wise.  Don't shop ebay.  Just get a recapped PC Engine Duo.  To me it's the best looking of the Duo's and  the cheaper of the three.  If you don't worry about a box they can be had for a decent price.

musicman130

I could care less about a box.  I just want a system that i can play.  Where would be the best place to get a "recapped" duo?

EvilEvoIX

DUO R with region mod.  It's the only way to go unless you are a serious collector.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

CrackTiger

Quote from: elmer on 04/03/2015, 07:27 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 04/03/2015, 06:15 PMPC Engine (not Turbo) Duo (R/RX) system + Arcade Card Duo + Turbo Everdrive = play every game (n)ever made.
Haha ... I can't let you get away with that ... you're missing 5 games ... including 2 of the very best!  [-X

SuperGrafx + SuperCDROM + Arcade Card Duo + Turbo Everdrive = play every game (n)ever made.  :wink:

But more seriously ... Duo-R + Arcade Card Duo + Turbo Everdrive seems like the best deal these days to get started ... with the briefcase, the Duo and the SuperGrafx being great add-ons when you're already hooked.
Haha ... I can't let you get away with that ... you're missing 14 games ... including 2 of the very best!  [-X

But I would never recommend someone new to PC Engine to start with a LaserActive, NEC PAC and the over-sized SuperGrafx.

No one should buy a SuperGrafx until they've tried the games out through emulation first.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

musicman130

I know that the US controllers and the Japanese controllers do not fit each other.  From what I understand, you can find a converter so that you can use them on the other system.  Is this true? Also if this is true, can you use the converter on the turbo tap and use all US controllers on a Japanese system?  Reason I am asking is this.   Local Craigslist offer for a TG6, turbo tap, 2 controllers, 9 games (Keith Courage, final lap twin, world class baseball, dungeon explorer, victory run, takin it to the hoop, tv sports football, alien crush, and power golf) and all cords to hook it up.  Started the price about a month ago at 175, now down to 150.  if they go lower, around 125 or so, it will be hard to not get and if I can use the controllers and tap on a japanese duo unit then I will be saving some money in the long run trying to find a tap and 2nd controller.

BlueBMW

There are adapters to covert the TG16 pads to work on the JP systems.  Shouldn't be too pricey either.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

elmer

Quote from: guest on 04/04/2015, 12:28 AMHaha ... I can't let you get away with that ... you're missing 14 games ... including 2 of the very best!  [-X
BaDaBoom! ... Hahaha ... You got me!  :wink:

I always forget about the LaserActive ... probably because it's just so rare and incredibly expensive.

QuoteBut I would never recommend someone new to PC Engine to start with a LaserActive, NEC PAC and the over-sized SuperGrafx.

No one should buy a SuperGrafx until they've tried the games out through emulation first.
Absolutely agree ... they're all large spends for only a few unique games.

NecroPhile

Quote from: musicman130 on 04/03/2015, 08:56 PM... I hear the US duo's are not good.  Japanese Duo's are OK...
There's no difference in terms of reliability between a US TurboDuo and the original (black) PCE Duo.

Quote from: musicman130 on 04/03/2015, 09:23 PMWhere would be the best place to get a "recapped" duo?   
Check with fellow PCEFXers turbokon and keithcourage.  They often have refurbished systems available, and they can even mod it if you want.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: guest on 04/06/2015, 11:45 AM
Quote from: musicman130 on 04/03/2015, 08:56 PM... I hear the US duo's are not good.  Japanese Duo's are OK...
There's no difference in terms of reliability between a US TurboDuo and the original (black) PCE Duo.

Quote from: musicman130 on 04/03/2015, 09:23 PMWhere would be the best place to get a "recapped" duo? 
Check with fellow PCEFXers turbokon and keithcourage.  They often have refurbished systems available, and they can even mod it if you want.
+1 Keith Courage is really the only way to go. I also suggest getting a PC Engine Duo -R, they really are the most reliable out of the bunch. As far as arcade cards go, just post a wtb thread here and I'm sure someone here will have one that's decently priced. I will say the NEO Geo ports on the arcade card games are pretty damn close to the real thing (Fatal Fury Special, World Heroes 2, Art of Fighting) if fighting games are your thing.

wildfruit

Live life on the edge and get a nice briefcase set up refurbished from Keith. They're sexy as hell.

VenomMacbeth

Definitely go with Keith.  Even with me being the unreliable boob that I am, he still came through with a pristine Duo & arcade card, and at an excellent price.
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

synbiosfan

turbokon recapped & put new screens in 2 of my Expresses and region modded & added component out to my Duo-R.

I've ordered a Magical Component Box from him too.

Picking either turbokon or Keith is pretty safe.

kosko99

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 04/06/2015, 12:50 PM
Quote from: guest on 04/06/2015, 11:45 AM

+1 Keith Courage is really the only way to go. I also suggest getting a PC Engine Duo -R, they really are the most reliable out of the bunch. As far as arcade cards go, just post a wtb thread here and I'm sure someone here will have one that's decently priced. I will say the NEO Geo ports on the arcade card games are pretty damn close to the real thing (Fatal Fury Special, World Heroes 2, Art of Fighting) if fighting games are your thing.
+1 to Keith, got my system from him and it looks like new :D
He made the component video mod on mine and looks like a default system feature, so well done