10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Control pads

Started by Spector, 02/05/2007, 10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spector

The idiots guide continues... :D
Will a Turbo Duo control pad like the one linked below work on a jap pc engine?
http://www.estarland.com/TurboGrafx.product.16432.html
You've got to feel the thrill... of disgust!
The beauty... of obscenity!

Seldane

Yeah it will (you can use ANY pad except Turbo Grafx pads). But damn, that one was very expensive!

Don't pay more than $10 for a PCE pad.

Ever heard of www.ebay.com ?
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

Spector

Quote from: Seldane on 02/05/2007, 11:01 AMYeah it will (you can use ANY pad except Turbo Grafx pads). But damn, that one was very expensive!

Don't pay more than $10 for a PCE pad.

Ever heard of www.ebay.com ?
No - what's that? :D
Don't worry, I wasn't even considering buying from that place, it was just for illustration. What's so special about Turbo Grafx pads that stops them from being used in a PC Engine? Do they have a different connection?
You've got to feel the thrill... of disgust!
The beauty... of obscenity!

NecroPhile

Yeah, the TG16 pads use a din-8 connector instead of the mini din-8 that everything else has.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

nat

You can use any pad with any system as long as you have the right cable/connector on it. If you open up the controllers, the cables all connect to the PCB inside with the same connector 95% of time. The other 5% of the time you have a REALLY REALLY old TG-16 controller that uses some kind of funky connector inside. I've only seen one of these, ever. These controllers also use a different PCB than the later models.

Long story short, you can swap a cable from a PCE pad to a TG-16 pad and vice versa and make them work on any system. Recently I bought an Avenue 6 pad and swapped the cable with one from a defunct TG-16 pad so I can use the Ave 6 on my TurboGrafx.

But I guess if you don't have any controllers at all to begin with, this really doesn't help you.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

termis

Quote from: nat on 02/08/2007, 11:59 AMYou can use any pad with any system as long as you have the right cable/connector on it. If you open up the controllers, the cables all connect to the PCB inside with the same connector 95% of time. The other 5% of the time you have a REALLY REALLY old TG-16 controller that uses some kind of funky connector inside. I've only seen one of these, ever. These controllers also use a different PCB than the later models.

Long story short, you can swap a cable from a PCE pad to a TG-16 pad and vice versa and make them work on any system. Recently I bought an Avenue 6 pad and swapped the cable with one from a defunct TG-16 pad so I can use the Ave 6 on my TurboGrafx.
I never really liked the avenue 6 pad.  Highly doubt anyone speak Korean here, but this guy also didn't like the Hudson 6-button pad, so he was able to hook up an arcade stick to his Duo here

Then he went off and hacked a Saturn pad using a 15 pin connector so he can connect it either SFC, MD, or the PCE here. (thus he has a 15-pin connector for each system.)  Guy is pretty damn hard core.

(just found his site the other day.  Some other interesting mods he has on there, including an PCE GT/TE RGB out mod, though he himself was saying, why the hell am I playing with this on the big screen?)

Seldane

Man, I wish I could speak Korean.  :)
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

esteban

Quote from: thumpin_termis on 02/08/2007, 12:57 PM(just found his site the other day.  Some other interesting mods he has on there, including an PCE GT/TE RGB out mod, though he himself was saying, why the hell am I playing with this on the big screen?)
Awesome!

It's fun to look at the pictures :).
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

termis

Yeah, actually, he said he tried putting an controller output jack on the Turbo Express, which would make the RGB out mod a bit more practical - that way, you basically have THE smallest PCE system that you can connect to your TV.  That was his first intention, but unfortunately, the IC used on the PCE:GT for the controller is apparently a bit different than the ones in the normal pads, so he got stuck at that point.

The battery life apparently has been extended a ton though, since the GT screen is turned off while the graphic output goes to the RGB monitor.

esteban

Quote from: thumpin_termis on 02/08/2007, 08:47 PMYeah, actually, he said he tried putting an controller output jack on the Turbo Express, which would make the RGB out mod a bit more practical - that way, you basically have THE smallest PCE system that you can connect to your TV.  That was his first intention, but unfortunately, the IC used on the PCE:GT for the controller is apparently a bit different than the ones in the normal pads, so he got stuck at that point.

The battery life apparently has been extended a ton though, since the GT screen is turned off while the graphic output goes to the RGB monitor.
Hey, why stop at one additional controller -- I say he ought to fit a 5-port tap in there!

Seriously, though, that fellow is awesome.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG