Sharp x68000 controllers

Started by bartre, 04/18/2017, 12:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bartre

so I've always used a genesis -> x68k adapter for my control needs for my sharp.
but I'm getting curious, what other controllers are available?
which ones are good?

I know there's the XE-1 stick, which again, I've heard is pretty good, but it seems a bit pricey.
or should I just get a genesis compatible controller or a different adapter?

kazekirifx

Not too many controllers that were made specifically for X68000. All of the controllers I use on my X68000 say either "FM Towns" or "MSX" on them. Genesis -> X68k adapter gets a lot of love from me too.

SuperDeadite

The official Sharp controller was their X1 pad.  Which is just a famicom style pad with the MSX pinout.  There are hundreds of 3rd party controller available though.  A few later games do support the Run/Select buttons on the FM Towns pad, but generally just as a pause button.

Of course certain games use specialty controllers like Cyberstick, Pac-Land Pad, Libble Rabble dual-d pad, etc.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

esteban

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 04/18/2017, 06:52 AMThe official Sharp controller was their X1 pad.  Which is just a famicom style pad with the MSX pinout.  There are hundreds of 3rd party controller available though.  A few later games do support the Run/Select buttons on the FM Towns pad, but generally just as a pause button.

Of course certain games use specialty controllers like Cyberstick, Pac-Land Pad, Libble Rabble dual-d pad, etc.
Tell me more about Pac Land Pad!

Thank you. :)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

SuperDeadite

Quote from: esteban on 04/20/2017, 06:26 PM
Quote from: SuperDeadite on 04/18/2017, 06:52 AMThe official Sharp controller was their X1 pad.  Which is just a famicom style pad with the MSX pinout.  There are hundreds of 3rd party controller available though.  A few later games do support the Run/Select buttons on the FM Towns pad, but generally just as a pause button.

Tell me more about Pac Land Pad!

Thank you. :)
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

esteban

^ I thought I had watched most of your videos! Apparently I haven't.

:)

Also, that Pac Land controller is awesome...metal construction, actual arcade hardware for buttons...what a nice way to play the game!

I know you already stated that Pac Land is not your cup of tea, but I find it really addictive and it oozes a lot of charm. Sure, it's repetitive. More importantly, I have to speed through it...I like to just create a nice, nearly non-stop flow of motion when I play. Kinda like how you described getting into the rhythm of Crazy Climber (but Pac Land allows for more flowing movement and Pac Land's "floaty" controls lend themselves to this with pretty lenient recovery times). Even if I backtrack, I have to keep on moving. Never stop flowing. Ever.

:)

I find it amusing that games like Chelnov and Pac Land actually had a rebirth in mobile gaming a few years ago... I had always wanted more games like them, then suddenly the forced scrolling platforming genre gets attention. Sadly, Gingerbread Man and the Bakery of Doom, and games of that ilk, don't have enough Soviet/Cold War aesthetics. I want more Chelnov.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

PunkCryborg

I use a converted turbo less PCE pad and for a stick a Capcom Power Stick with the SFII adapter