RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Turbo Express carrying case

Started by rolins, 05/30/2006, 09:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rolins

I was at Circuit City last weekend and while I was walking around I noticed their shelf of DV cam casings. I walked over and began checking them out, and I realized the insides of one of these can fit a TE w/ room to spare.

The insides of some them had thick cushioning, and those velcro separators which is perfect for placing both my TE and battery pack together without them banging into each other. They also had small pockets on the outside with netting. I think I can use those those to place some batteries and hucards.

What do you guys think, it's a good idea to purchase a DV cam case just to carry my TE? I didn't buy one yet because they're kinda pricy at $30-50 and don't have that kind of money to spend right now. But I've been trying to find an official TE case for months, and I'm getting tired of carrying my TE in bubble wrap.

_Paul

Funnily enough I spent some time looking for a case for my camera and ended up carrying it around in my proper TE/GT carry case.  :?

Keranu

That sounds pretty cool and nifty, but that is a little too pricey for my tastes as well.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

esteban

Quote from: "rolins"I was at Circuit City last weekend and while I was walking around I noticed their shelf of DV cam casings. I walked over and began checking them out, and I realized the insides of one of these can fit a TE w/ room to spare.

The insides of some them had thick cushioning, and those velcro separators which is perfect for placing both my TE and battery pack together without them banging into each other. They also had small pockets on the outside with netting. I think I can use those those to place some batteries and hucards.

What do you guys think, it's a good idea to purchase a DV cam case just to carry my TE? I didn't buy one yet because they're kinda pricy at $30-50 and don't have that kind of money to spend right now. But I've been trying to find an official TE case for months, and I'm getting tired of carrying my TE in bubble wrap.
Well, I think it is worth spending some $$$ for a proper case, especially if you transport your TE around a lot.

$30 - 50 is a lot of money -- are you sure you wouldn't be just as happy with a cheaper, generic camera bag form Kmart? I usually buy my camera bags at places like Target / Kmart and I've found that they are good enough :)

Also, I'd decide whether or not you want to get a case big enough for extra games / AC/DC adapter / DC/DC adapter / headphones, etc.

I bought a small case, just big enough for my TE. It's less bulky, but now I wish I had extra room for accessories. However, I don't think I'd be too happy with a friggin' huge gymbag... so it's tough to find the perfect-sized case...
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

rolins

Finally bought an official TE case off ebay for $23. Good price I think because the last time I saw one of these on ebay it sold for $45. The casing is bright orange with the words "Turbo Express". I am a little disappointed by the amount of cushion and available space. There's only two pockets. The first pocket is padded for the TE but it's quite a tight fit. I'm trying to be ever so careful not to scratch the outer casing of my TE on the zipper. The second pocket, which is in the front, is for everything else like hucards and accessories. Despite casings shortcomings I'm satisfied. Now I start carrying this baby to work without the bubble wrap.

GohanX

I found a little SpaceMaker sandwich bag at Dollar Tree a couple of weeks go, it was an absolutely PERFECT fit for the Turbo Express.  Not much padding, but it fits the TE snugly, the material on the inside is soft so it won't scratch it up, and the little zipper pouch in the front can hold a set of batteries and a few hucards.  Not bad for a dollar.

esteban

Quote from: "rolins"Finally bought an official TE case off ebay for $23. Good price I think because the last time I saw one of these on ebay it sold for $45. The casing is bright orange with the words "Turbo Express". I am a little disappointed by the amount of cushion and available space. There's only two pockets. The first pocket is padded for the TE but it's quite a tight fit. I'm trying to be ever so careful not to scratch the outer casing of my TE on the zipper. The second pocket, which is in the front, is for everything else like hucards and accessories. Despite casings shortcomings I'm satisfied. Now I start carrying this baby to work without the bubble wrap.
I've never seen this! You must post some pictures! Please :)

rolins

Quote from: "stevek666"I've never seen this! You must post some pictures! Please :)
Here you go.

Front view. You're basically looking at a fanny pack here. The strap does not come off, but can be adjusted. When I wore it around my shoulder my roommate said it looked like I was holding purse. So instead I wrap the strap across my neck and over my other shoulder for a manlier look.
/tecasefront4zp.jpg

Back view. There's two straps here so you can sling it to your belt or another bag.
/tecaseback2qk.jpg

Side view.
/tecaseside9oj.jpg

Top view.
/tecasetop1jo.jpg

Bottom view.
/tecasebottom8sj.jpg

View of pockets.
/tecasepockets3rf.jpg

View of pocket 1. That is all padding you get, and I don't think it's enough to cushion the TE if dropped from height of 12 inches. Also the inner side walls have more cushion than the bottom. If you want something heavy duty look for the official hard case, which also exist btw.
/tecasepocket19fz.jpg

View of pocket 2. There's no netting for hucards or inner pockets for spare batteries. Just empty space.
/tecasepocket20by.jpg

More pictures.
/tecase02vx.jpg

This is how I pack my TE. I'm still worried about scratching its outer shell on the zipper, so I keep my TE in a plastic bag.
/tecase13nu.jpg

Bt Garner

You can find camera bags that have a similar style to the "official bag" but have a lot more padding.  I use a camera bag for my TE when I am
traveling ... well, when I used to travel with my TE.

-bt

takashirose

Can you post pictures of that camer case you use?
Let the old mix with the new.

takashirose

WOuldn't it be better to cover the Turbo Express with a Microfiber cloth instead pf a bag because the cloth could also absorb a little and because the fiber is softer than the bag, thus preventing scratches.  I wrap my Gameboy advance sp with a micro fiber cloth, but I don't think it will scratch a screen even though the sp is closed when put away unlike other portables.

rolins

Quote from: "bt"You can find camera bags that have a similar style to the "official bag" but have a lot more padding.  I use a camera bag for my TE when I am
traveling ... well, when I used to travel with my TE.

-bt
Yeah, I aware that some camera bags are better suited, but I wanted an official TE case just so I can display my devotion to the TG16.

Quote from: "takashirose"WOuldn't it be better to cover the Turbo Express with a Microfiber cloth instead pf a bag because the cloth could also absorb a little and because the fiber is softer than the bag, thus preventing scratches.  I wrap my Gameboy advance sp with a micro fiber cloth, but I don't think it will scratch a screen even though the sp is closed when put away unlike other portables.
What in the world is microfiber cloth? I've never heard of that.

takashirose

A micro fiber cloth is the cloth that you wipe your eyeglass lenses without scratching them.  Maybe they sell large ones that are to clean BIG lenses.

esteban

rolins, thanks for the pics. I honestly don't remember seeing that bag, or the hardcase version. I guess I wasn't as interested in cases back in the day. Man, my memory is really going... :)

I have retrofitted bags / plastic cases to hold consoles / handhelds. I think you could easilly add some foam padding / batting to the TE bag to make it more "shock-resistant". Then again, you mentioned that it was a tight fit.