PC Engine Homebrew News: The duo that brought you FX-Unit Yuki returns! A demo for "Nyanja!" is available, an action platformer akin to games like Bubble Bobble & Snow Bros in gameplay style.
Main Menu

IFU CDROM Pinout

Started by wolfman, 02/20/2014, 04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfman

I am looking for a pinout for the CDROM connector in the IFU. Has someone got an idea where to get it?

I think my drive doesn´t get power from the IFU (other drive works in it though), so I think it has something do with the power pin of the connector. Contacts are clean so far.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
recent addition: Japanese Language Skills, A1 proficiency level
-------------------------------------------------------------
CryptoCoin Warrior
My Setup: PC Engine LT, CD-ROM², IFU-30
AKA woolfman on AtariAge, PlanetVB, Circuit-Board.

Fidde_se

I think that connector is a little unknown territory. I'v never seen a pinout for it.

If other drives are getting power from it then there is nothing wrong with the IFU at least.

There are 30 Pins.

Ground is 21, 22, 30

+5V is 20, 27
GW/GB/GBP/GBL/GBC/GBA/GBASP/GBASP2/GBM/DS/DSL/DSiXL/3DS/PM/VB/FC/NES/SNES/N64/GC/Wii/PS/PSONE/PS2/PS2S/
SMS/SMS2/GG/NOM/MD/MD2/MD3/MD1CD/SS/DC/XB/XB360/NGP/NGPC/NGPC2/WS/WSC/CSW/PCEGT/PCE/PCECG1/PCECG2/
PCECD/TG16TE/NGAGE/GIZ/GP32/GP2XF1/GP2XF2/GP2XWIZ/GP2XCAN/DA320/ST520/ST1040/LNX/LNX2/JAG/PORT/CD32/A500/
C64/CDi/VMU/POCKSTN/PSP/PSPCFW/FDS/VSM

wolfman

I have uploaded 2 pix, one from the good drive and one from the bad drive. Both contact are identical, I have marked im the pictures. On the bad drive the contact had burned. It think my issue is directly related to that.

I would like to know where it should connect to (maybe it is connected to a cap or resistor around connector?):

Good Drive:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65709578@N06/12663642844/#

Bad Drive:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65709578@N06/12192888985/#
CryptoCoin Warrior

wolfman

Quote from: Fidde_se on 02/20/2014, 04:28 PMI think that connector is a little unknown territory. I'v never seen a pinout for it.

If other drives are getting power from it then there is nothing wrong with the IFU at least.

There are 30 Pins.

Ground is 21, 22, 30

+5V is 20, 27
How do you count - always from left to right, or do you continue from right in the second row?

EDIT: I think it we´re talking about Pin #27. It connects to the other side of the pcb, directly beneath the connector. But where does it lead from there?
CryptoCoin Warrior

Fidde_se

Underneath the pcb there are numbers 1 and 8, showing which is pin 1 and how to count, with the 8 it's showing which direction it's going.

So underneath left to right, down to up.

Pin 27 goes to a big pad on there which is connected to the outer pin of the DC connector threw a diode (if that's what you mean).
GW/GB/GBP/GBL/GBC/GBA/GBASP/GBASP2/GBM/DS/DSL/DSiXL/3DS/PM/VB/FC/NES/SNES/N64/GC/Wii/PS/PSONE/PS2/PS2S/
SMS/SMS2/GG/NOM/MD/MD2/MD3/MD1CD/SS/DC/XB/XB360/NGP/NGPC/NGPC2/WS/WSC/CSW/PCEGT/PCE/PCECG1/PCECG2/
PCECD/TG16TE/NGAGE/GIZ/GP32/GP2XF1/GP2XF2/GP2XWIZ/GP2XCAN/DA320/ST520/ST1040/LNX/LNX2/JAG/PORT/CD32/A500/

Fidde_se

I'm looking at a CDR-30 now and it does not look exactly the same, I would guess you are looking at a CDR-30A, the non A has missing ground connectors underneath the whole case that's suppose to touch the ground bulbs on the IFU.

wolfman

Quote from: Fidde_se on 02/20/2014, 05:20 PM4

Pin 27 goes to a big pad on there which is connected to the outer pin of the DC connector threw a diode (if that's what you mean).
Are you talking about the red diode directly beneath the power plug on the upper side of the pcb? Is it directly connected to it? Which side to - left to it when I look on top of the diode?
CryptoCoin Warrior

Fidde_se

Like this, it goes under the connector if it's burned you can either remove the connector and repair the via or just take a wire to the red part, the darker red are where it comes from on the DC plug, and goes threw a diode.

wolfman

Quote from: Fidde_se on 02/20/2014, 05:24 PMI'm looking at a CDR-30 now and it does not look exactly the same, I would guess you are looking at a CDR-30A, the non A has missing ground connectors underneath the whole case that's suppose to touch the ground bulbs on the IFU.
Both drives are not connected to the ground plate via cable, if thats what you mean...and both of them are labelled "30A". But they do have the copper contacts on the ground plate.
CryptoCoin Warrior

Fidde_se

It might just be missing the cable inside maybe, I think this is so that the cd becomes grounded slightly before the connector goes in, ensuring ground is 0. A RCA connector connects signal before the ground which is weird...

Fidde_se

The non A revision connects the darker red parts directly, while yours go threw the top, I guess threw a straight wire on the primary side (from the DC plug), correct?

wolfman

Quote from: Fidde_se on 02/20/2014, 05:56 PMThe non A revision connects the darker red parts directly, while yours go threw the top, I guess threw a straight wire on the primary side (from the DC plug), correct?
I will look that up, I am not sure what you mean. I will also post a picture of the CDR-35 which is similar in design but technically different in some parts. But this drive HAS a wire on headphone connector AND a cable that goes from power connector I believe to ground plate.

Do you happen to know what kind of/value the diode behind the power plug is?
CryptoCoin Warrior

Fidde_se

It's just there to rectifiy the voltage from the DC plug, any diode nearly works but a 1N4148 is probably used

wolfman

Quote from: Fidde_se on 02/21/2014, 03:58 AM1N4148 is probably used
Can you verify that for sure or is it just a guess?
CryptoCoin Warrior

Fidde_se

It's a 95% probability guess, and it wouldn't even matter.

wolfman

Quote from: Fidde_se on 02/21/2014, 07:09 AMIt's a 95% probability guess, and it wouldn't even matter.
So a 1N4002 would do it too? It´s 1A instead of 450mah afaik...I´ve got a few left over...
CryptoCoin Warrior

Fidde_se

Yes it does, it just a little bigger, but this diode is only there to see threw that voltage would not get there if you had dc adapter with center pin positive and is not used when in the ifu, and it can handle 100v in both directions so it will probably never go wrong or wear out.

When in the IFU it's impossible to switch the connector and there for it's not a diode from that.

wolfman

Quote from: Fidde_se on 02/20/2014, 05:43 PMLike this, it goes under the connector if it's burned you can either remove the connector and repair the via or just take a wire to the red part, the darker red are where it comes from on the DC plug, and goes threw a diode.
I attached the wire now (blue in the picture), and the drive works in the IFU. Its a vital connection - without it you don´t get it to run EVER in the IFU, but plays music when connected to an adapter outside of it.
CryptoCoin Warrior

Fidde_se

Well that's good news, 2 drives fixed in one night (well nearly) or is just one?

wolfman

Quote from: Fidde_se on 02/21/2014, 03:14 PMWell that's good news, 2 drives fixed in one night (well nearly) or is just one?
No, its just one, but I´ve tampered with it for more than 2 weeks. It now even reads slow-burned CDRs!  :dance:

The reason I opened a thread just for the CD pinout is, I was hoping someone could contribute so that we have it documented some day. At least it might help someone else someday - you never know  :-k
CryptoCoin Warrior