Sega Lord X reviews the Street Fighter II Champion Edition PC Engine port.
Main Menu

Railshooters

Started by Medic_wheat, 10/07/2014, 08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medic_wheat

Similarly to my light gun thread lets talk railshooters.

Your sin and punishments (N64/Wii)
And much much more. 

For me the seperation from light gun and railshooters is the lack of a light gun

FYI I consider Wii games to be iffy.  Sone may not think the wii remote as a hybrid controler light gun.  So it's your call on wii games being light gun or railshooter

VenomMacbeth

Rez is a phenomenal rail shooter. Lots of people like to call Silpheed a rail shooter, but I don't really think it qualifies...which raises the question, what exactly defines a rail shooter?  Could games like After Burner or Night Striker be considered rail shooters?
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

BlueBMW

Awww no light gun games?   I was going to say Elemental Gearbolt... :(
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

cjameslv

Panzer Dragoon II Zwei (A favorite on my Sega Saturn)
A quick review

Overview:Whats really nice is it has an widescreen option so playing on a big hdtv at night is amazing. You can level up your dragon and unlike the first one this one will let you change directions and follow different paths. Replay value is good if you find yourself only going back to this title every few months (as i do).

Tip: If you memorize each area and then do saves before each level you can get your dragon stronger faster. You won't have to track enemy's as much, resulting in faster kills and the enemy's get stronger which is a reward considering the game is not a very difficult one.

Music & Graphics: The music is decent and i rate it a 7. I find it goes with the flow but not as smooth as the first one.  Not quite the feel like say when you play Wipeout (psone version includes crystal method, which i wish was on saturn version). Graphics are great. I rate it a 9, (i use an s-video cord, not super easy to find) and really enjoy this game on a 60" hdtv. There is alot of color depth and thought put into the design.

Note: When i play other games like magic knight rayearth, i use a 32" crt with s-video since alot of the games don't have an option for 16:9.

Overall i rate this game 8/10 and definitely recommend it!

Thanks

Update* Was so into writing the lil review forgot the money shot:
/YzwZ22.jpg

cr8zykuban0

I like panzer dragoon,  sin and punishment and the afterburner games if that is considered a rail shooter

HailingTheThings

Omega Boost is pretty dope, at least, I remember it being so. Been a while since I played it. IIRC some of the same people responsible for the Panzer Dragoon games were behind this one as well.
IMG

BlueBMW

One word... Laseractive... hehe

Specifically I like Hyperion and the two Vajra games.  Though Pyramid Patrol and Space Berserker arent too bad.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

esteban

Quote from: BlueBMW on 10/08/2014, 02:03 AMOne word... Laseractive... hehe

Specifically I like Hyperion and the two Vajra games.  Though Pyramid Patrol and Space Berserker arent too bad.
Can we make a list of all the rail-shooters on LA PCE LaserDisc?

Actually, any game that fits into the broad "shooter" category would be nice.

Maybe I'll have to make a new topic.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

ccovell

Gamera 2000 on Playstation.

It's awesome.  The music is awesome.  The cutscene acting is awesome.  And the graphics are pretty good too.

cjameslv

Quote from: esteban on 10/08/2014, 07:53 AM
Quote from: BlueBMW on 10/08/2014, 02:03 AMOne word... Laseractive... hehe

Can we make a list of all the rail-shooters on LA PCE LaserDisc?

Actually, any game that fits into the broad "shooter" category would be nice.

Maybe I'll have to make a new topic.
esteban, shooters aka SHMUPS (my fav catagory) would need its own topic as they are completely different from railshooters.

NecroPhile

Play Rail Chase, nat!  PLAY RAILCHASE!!!
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

BlueBMW

I think pretty much every "shooter" type game on the Laseractive is a rail shooter.  There is no light gun support, everything is done with a controller controlled crosshair.

On the PC Engine PAC there really is just Vajra and Vajra 2.

For the Sega PAC there is Hyperion, Space Berserker, Pyramid Patrol, and I guess High Roller Battle

DragonmasterDan

The best railshooter ever is Star Fox 64
--DragonmasterDan

BlueBMW

Ahhh... I had not considered Star Fox 64... I suppose it is mostly a rail shooter (except for the all range mode parts)

Definitely excellent!

VenomMacbeth

Panorama Cotton is also very worthy of mention.  It's such an odd game...I wonder why Sunsoft chose the Mega Drive for it instead of the SFC, which I think have pulled off the neat graphical effects better.
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

JoshTurboTrollX

StarFox(SNES) not that foggy piece of crap 64 version and Panzer Dragoon II are my two favorite Rail Chooties.  I also like the Panzer Dragoon game on xbox.
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

BlueBMW

Every time someone hates on the N64 a little piece of me dies... :(

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 10/08/2014, 02:59 PMStarFox(SNES) not that foggy piece of crap 64 version and Panzer Dragoon II are my two favorite Rail Chooties.  I also like the Panzer Dragoon game on xbox.
Says the guy who likes ICOM games.
--DragonmasterDan

Medic_wheat

Quote from: BlueBMW on 10/08/2014, 03:09 PMEvery time someone hates on the N64 a little piece of me dies... :(
How much of you is left

sosoyo180

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 10/08/2014, 01:08 PMThe best railshooter ever is Star Fox 64
This guy needs to be promoted or something for speaking the truth!
12 hard black inches of pure fun, the TurboGrafx 16.

BlueBMW

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 10/08/2014, 06:33 PM
Quote from: BlueBMW on 10/08/2014, 03:09 PMEvery time someone hates on the N64 a little piece of me dies... :(
How much of you is left
Not much.  Its been like a terminal disease I caught back in 1996.

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 10/08/2014, 06:07 PM
Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 10/08/2014, 02:59 PMStarFox(SNES) not that foggy piece of crap 64 version and Panzer Dragoon II are my two favorite Rail Chooties.  I also like the Panzer Dragoon game on xbox.
Says the guy who likes ICOM games.
You just don't get ghost manor dude.   ;)
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

NecroPhile

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 10/08/2014, 06:07 PMSays the guy who likes ICOM games.
Who doesn't like at least a couple of 'em?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 10/09/2014, 12:54 PMYou just don't get ghost manor dude.   ;)
It's a horror game, and the horror is that it and Night Creatures passed QA.
--DragonmasterDan

InfraMan

I really like Starblade and Burning Soldier on 3DO... although Burning Soldier does get really hard towards the end.

Also, AX-101 and Sewer Shark on Sega CD. WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL!!!! Weeoooo, crosshairs! :dance:

seieienbu

Panzer Dragoon Orta sold me on the original Xbox.  At the time it was the best looking console game I'd ever seen.  Between the atmosphere of the game, the huge stack of extras, and the continuation of a series I'd previously enjoyed on the Saturn I would have recommended it to anyone.  I played it a couple of years ago, still fun. 

Anyone with an Xbox 1 play Crimson Dragon?  It's not enough to make me buy the platform on its own but I'd like to play it at some point nevertheless.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

esadajr

two words: Gal Gun
Gaming since 1985

CrackTiger

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 10/09/2014, 01:15 PM
Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 10/09/2014, 12:54 PMYou just don't get ghost manor dude.   ;)
It's a horror game, and the horror is that it and Night Creatures passed QA.
Night Creatures isn't an ICOM game.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 10/10/2014, 01:09 PMNight Creatures isn't an ICOM game.
You're right.
My bad it was "Manley and Associates"
--DragonmasterDan

BlueBMW

Manley and Associates....  They made an old favorite of mine called "Are We There Yet?"

xcrement5x

Quote from: seieienbu on 10/09/2014, 06:51 PMPanzer Dragoon Orta sold me on the original Xbox.  At the time it was the best looking console game I'd ever seen.  Between the atmosphere of the game, the huge stack of extras, and the continuation of a series I'd previously enjoyed on the Saturn I would have recommended it to anyone.  I played it a couple of years ago, still fun. 

Anyone with an Xbox 1 play Crimson Dragon?  It's not enough to make me buy the platform on its own but I'd like to play it at some point nevertheless.
Orta was pretty much the system seller for me as well.  I loved that it also included the original PD as well.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

seieienbu

Quote from: guest on 10/10/2014, 10:30 PMOrta was pretty much the system seller for me as well.  I loved that it also included the original PD as well.
Yeah, there was a huge amount of extra features in the Pandora's Box thing that the game had.  When I picked the game up I hadn't read too much about it in advance and was just expecting the main game alone.  I thought that the side-story of the random rank and file trooper was fantastic and completely unexpected.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

SuperGrafx

Orta was indeed a great surprise release for the Xbox. 
It was games like this (and Sega GT, Gunvalkyrie, Shenmue and JSRF) that made the Xbox a spiritual successor to the Dreamcast in my eyes.

Digi.k

crimson dragon is perhaps a more recent one.
Although only available on the xbone marketplace, you can download it for free if you have a gold subscription.

It's an ok game.  I feel it lacks polish of the previous games and I don't like the presentation or menu system and the screen tearing is a little annoying.   There are moments where there is so much happening you can't tell the enemy bullets from the background stuff.  And there are moments in free roam it feels like you have no control over your dragon.. those moments are quite bizarre.

However it does evoke feelings of panzer dragoon games and the music is great too

Digi.k

Quote from: seieienbu on 10/09/2014, 06:51 PMPanzer Dragoon Orta sold me on the original Xbox.  At the time it was the best looking console game I'd ever seen.  Between the atmosphere of the game, the huge stack of extras, and the continuation of a series I'd previously enjoyed on the Saturn I would have recommended it to anyone.  I played it a couple of years ago, still fun. 

yup right here.. image quality is not great but it's an early play and me testing out the game play recording of the xbone.

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=FF3EB0489A4CFC07&id=FF3EB0489A4CFC07!322&v=3