OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

PCE Interface unit concerns - No video or audio

Started by Hippokittie, 06/15/2017, 01:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hippokittie

My PC Engine interface unit is powering on (based on the power light); but when I switch it on the light dims. When on my TV now video or audio comes out; but when hooked up to my computer with a video capture device it outputs white noise with screen flickering. Still no video or anything else though. I have a video on youtube showing it (not sure if I am aloud to post the link or not).

Any Idea what could be causing this? I bought a power adapter that meet all the specs for the correct power output and everything. I need to know if it is something I am doing wrong, or if the unit is messed up. If its the unit I have to return it to the seller, if it is me then I have to fix it.

Thanks a bunch!

NecroPhile

Other than power supply not working as advertised (check with a meter maybe?), I've no idea what could be going wrong.  I'm mostly here to wish you luck and say you certainly can post a link.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

SignOfZeta

Isn't there something IFU noobs often can't figure out with the power switch? It sounds like the guy just got the thing and has never seen it run so I would say...maybe sure both power switches are on...whatever the issue sometimes is. I can't remember.
IMG

MNKyDeth

Just turning the system on without any game or system card in the slot will produce a solid color screen.

I think we need to know if you have a game or system card in the hucard slot. if you do then there is possibly another problem.

Hippokittie

I tried it with the System card 2.0 as well as the game Double Dungeons (what I had in during the video). According to the seller who sold me the interface unit, it may be a power concern. Even though the power specs of my chord are right.
There is a video of it showing whats going on.

MNKyDeth

You need to double check that power supply. I have seen some like that, that didn't have the correct label on them. The polarities were actually reversed.

Use a volt meter and make sure the outside is positive and the center is actually negative.

Hippokittie

I don't have a voltage meter. I am going to my local Fry's electronics with the unit to get a new universal power cord with changeable polarities to see if that works. Is it a power adapter problem though before I go?

MNKyDeth

I have no idea if it's a power adapter problem. I just know to check some of those that look like the one you have. Make sure they are right.

You don't want to plug them in backwards as that's bad for the internal chips....

Does the system work with just the PCE without the IFU? <-- you might want to check this first to verify the working condition of the PCE.

Hippokittie

I don't have a video cable for the PCE. Thats the concern. I only have about 3 days left to return the IFU for a refund. I will check the power with a new cord and I will check back once I get back. If it doesn't work I may end up buying a DUO instead (they are about the same price at my local store) and mod it to play Japanese games.

SignOfZeta

You don't have a video cable. You may not have the right power supply. You aren't familiar with normal operation. You don't have a meter. I'm not sure there's anything we can do from here.
IMG

Hippokittie

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 06/15/2017, 12:14 PMYou don't have a video cable. You may not have the right power supply. You aren't familiar with normal operation. You don't have a meter. I'm not sure there's anything we can do from here.
I took the power supply and the unit to the Fry electronics. The power adapter was the right polarity but was only putting out 200Ma. Bought a new one and it is working perfect. YAY. Still no audio though. Now to mod the system to play North America games as well :D

SignOfZeta

What? No. Now you fix the sound.

What's the point of being able to play North American games? They're all megabux now and and nearly all the NA exclusives are fucking terrible pieces of shit.

Just forget there ever was a Turbo Grafx. You'll be much better off for it.

Sound on the other hand...even the guys that feel the need to remind us about Pearl Harbor every time "import" is mentioned would think sound was more important.
IMG

Hippokittie

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 06/15/2017, 01:57 PMWhat? No. Now you fix the sound.

What's the point of being able to play North American games? They're all megabux now and and nearly all the NA exclusives are fucking terrible pieces of shit.

Just forget there ever was a Turbo Grafx. You'll be much better off for it.

Sound on the other hand...even the guys that feel the need to remind us about Pearl Harbor every time "import" is mentioned would think sound was more important.
Well I plan on fixing the sound. The audio output jacks have some corrosion on them, opened the thing up and it looks like I just have to clean and re-sodder them. So I am going to do that.

As for the north America mod, it is for the new HU cards you can buy and put your games on. All the ones I have found are for the TG16 not the PCE. Do they work both ways?

NecroPhile

Quote from: Hippokittie on 06/15/2017, 02:24 PMAs for the north America mod, it is for the new HU cards you can buy and put your games on. All the ones I have found are for the TG16 not the PCE. Do they work both ways?
They can be made either way...... but don't buy a bunch of that shit.  It's all well and good if you want a few for stuff like Tongueman's Logic or translated Shada, I guess, but they're plain stupid for amassing a sizable collection of regular commercial games.  Don't spend hundreds of dollars for a shelf full of fake games; get an everdrive.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Hippokittie

Quote from: guest on 06/15/2017, 03:08 PM
Quote from: Hippokittie on 06/15/2017, 02:24 PMAs for the north America mod, it is for the new HU cards you can buy and put your games on. All the ones I have found are for the TG16 not the PCE. Do they work both ways?
They can be made either way...... but don't buy a bunch of that shit.  It's all well and good if you want a few for stuff like Tongueman's Logic or translated Shada, I guess, but they're plain stupid for amassing a sizable collection of regular commercial games.  Don't spend hundreds of dollars for a shelf full of fake games; get an everdrive.
Nah I am not gonna be getting fake games :) I buy only originals. I was more concerned with the homebrews that people make on the HU cards (like Aetherbutt and such). I would also like to make mine on HU cards if possible (once I get to a level to make a full game). :)