RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Phil Collins or Peter Gabriel?

Started by ClodBusted, 11/15/2017, 10:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClodBusted

LostFlunky

SignOfZeta

I love both, sorry. Can't make a decision.
IMG

ClodBusted

Next musical poll will be "John Foxx or Midge Ure?".

SignOfZeta

Jon Anderson vs Trevor Horn

Related: the current singer for Yes is a Ripper Owens style success story. He played in a Yes cover band and they hired him. He can sing everything Jon did, better, and he does...the things, he wears moccosins and spins around and stares up on the sky like there's angels in it. He's perfect at it, and he's young so he can keep doing it potentially for a decade or two.

There are two bands I want to see continue with no original members. Yes, because they can truley continue the vibe of the band that plays virtually ego-less music. And KISS because I love to laugh at how much they suck and it's going to be hilarious when Gene and Paul are in iron lungs in orbit and some 25 year olds are embarrassing their pathetic skills while touring the entire planet as multiple different regionally targeted KISS klone bands, every one, even Kiss Down Under, will make the original recordings sounds like the crap that they are and finally even KISS fans will learn the truth; that their favorite band is genuinely one of the worst.
IMG

LostFlunky

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 11/15/2017, 03:23 PMJon Anderson vs Trevor Horn

Related: the current singer for Yes is a Ripper Owens style success story. He played in a Yes cover band and they hired him. He can sing everything Jon did, better, and he does...the things, he wears moccosins and spins around and stares up on the sky like there's angels in it. He's perfect at it, and he's young so he can keep doing it potentially for a decade or two.

There are two bands I want to see continue with no original members. Yes, because they can truley continue the vibe of the band that plays virtually ego-less music. And KISS because I love to laugh at how much they suck and it's going to be hilarious when Gene and Paul are in iron lungs in orbit and some 25 year olds are embarrassing their pathetic skills while touring the entire planet as multiple different regionally targeted KISS klone bands, every one, even Kiss Down Under, will make the original recordings sounds like the crap that they are and finally even KISS fans will learn the truth; that their favorite band is genuinely one of the worst.
I think you are mixing up Trevor Horn and Jon Davison.  Horn produced the "comeback" album 90125.  Davison is the current lead singer.

If you haven't seen this - it is old Yes meets new Yes (surviving members only), with Jon Anderson on vocals and Geddy Lee on bass.  Magnificent how Lee plays Squire's 'sound'.
Agree about Kiss/Menudo.

bob

god i hate rush.

in the great debate of the 90's, i was 100% all in on Team Claypool.

LostFlunky

Quote from: bob on 11/15/2017, 04:07 PMgod i hate rush.

Les Claypool lists Geddy Lee as his 1st and biggest influence.

I haven't liked anything Rush has done since 1984, but the stuff they did up to that point was great.

bob

Quote from: Lost Monkey on 11/15/2017, 04:37 PM
Quote from: bob on 11/15/2017, 04:07 PMgod i hate rush.

Les Claypool lists Geddy Lee as his 1st and biggest influence.

I haven't liked anything Rush has done since 1984, but the stuff they did up to that point was great.
yeah, i heard that too before.  and it wouldnt surprise me, but in terms of preference, Les all the way.
it always seemed one would come up anytime the other did when talking about bassists back then

NecroPhile

How can anyone hate Rush?  You gay.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

jtucci31

turboswimbz

NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

HailingTheThings

IMG

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Lost Monkey on 11/15/2017, 03:52 PM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 11/15/2017, 03:23 PMJon Anderson vs Trevor Horn

I think you are mixing up Trevor Horn and Jon Davison.  Horn produced the "comeback" album 90125.  Davison is the current lead singer.

If you haven't seen this - it is old Yes meets new Yes (surviving members only), with Jon Anderson on vocals and Geddy Lee on bass.  Magnificent how Lee plays Squire's 'sound'.
Agree about Kiss/Menudo.
The idea for the poll was the old Jon, and jokingly since absolutely nobody cares about 80s Yes, not even me, and I both buy and love current Yes releases. :)

My comments regarding the new Jon were just me continuing to yammer on about Yes, hence "Related:" It's the sort of confusion you wouldn't have if you didn't have two Jons in the same band, spelled that way, doing the same job, cosplaying as the same hippie charicature of each other.

Even Google gets confused. I had tickets to see the currently legally defined band "Yes" and I wanted to verify the date of the concert real quick and Google steered me towards what is now known as "Yes Featuring Jon Anderson, Trevor Rabin, Rick Wakeman" and they were on the coast at the time. That band actually *does* have an original member but doesn't have the rights to the Roger Dean art and the logo.

And while the new Jon contributes more to the band than the old Jon has done in 40 years I still don't think there is any comparison. There is only one real Yes frontman and it is...

...Chris Squire. Bang! But seriously, he was the Ed Harris of Yes in every way. Somewhere in heaven that dumb triple necked bass actually stays in tune and he's laying the foundation of the next level of progressive rock.

I don't get Rush, but I've seen the HoF performance and I agree he did a great job. I learned to play that song myself this year and the hardest thing to overcome is realizing you're never going to sound like the Fragile version. They overdubbed guitar onto it and that one part that sounds like frill is actually organ. Then you realize everyone playing it, including Squire, has to remake it for live use. Then it was no problem for me.
IMG

ClodBusted

Fun fact: Everytime you look up a post-Gabriel Genesis song or album on Youtube, you'll find a single commenter named Jim Smith spamming insults in all caps + bold.

blueraven

Yeah. Go be fucking haters. I've seen this shit live. 5 or 6 times from Presto to Vapor Trails.

And Geddy Lee's solo tour. And it was totally insane every time.

But if your only exposure to them is "Working Man" or "Fly By Night" jammed down your earpiece on the worksite, on some shitty throwback station I could see your contempt for them.

The only people that "hate" rush that make sense to me have seen Tool about 75 times or are on tour with Dream Theater.

SignOfZeta

There is more progressive rock than there is time to hear it. I just discovered Hawkwind, I mean *really* discovered them, about two years ago. It's amazing I didn't know about Space Ritual until so recently. It's possible I'd like Rush if I gave it a dive, but I'm in no way looking to do that. I have shit that actually interests me that I haven't had time to listen to yet.

I enjoy the Trailer Park Boys.
IMG

bob

if Lee's voice is in the song, then i hate rush.  i saw tool twice, 73 more to go and i can legit hate rush?
i think i already hated them before i saw tool even once.  so now i am confused.

SignOfZeta

If you've seen Tool twice, yeah, I guess you could call that "confused".
IMG

LostFlunky

If you don't like Geddy's voice, try this instrumental (1978):

blueraven

Quote from: bob on 11/16/2017, 04:53 PMif Lee's voice is in the song, then i hate rush.  i saw tool twice, 73 more to go and i can legit hate rush?
i think i already hated them before i saw tool even once.  so now i am confused.
I'm legit laughing my ass off right now :lol:

SignOfZeta

Seeing Tool doesn't make you hate Rush, that was never stated, just that people who hate Rush probably love Tool and maybe vaping their own piss, maybe that was implied, I don't know.

I know people who love both, which is either better or worse depending on your perspective.

I'm currently listening to Lost Monkey's video, its good. Its similar to stuff I like but...someone somewhere recently floated the theory (I can't remember who) that there are no non-English prog bands and I'm starting think that's true. There's something in ELP, Genesis, Yes, etc that just isn't in Hawkwind or Yellow Magic Orchestra even if they try. Whatever it is, I think Led Zeppelin has it too, whatever that stuff is...greesy prog blues rock or whatever. Maybe just that its a little dorkier?

I don't like Led Zeppelin that much. I hate that fuckers voice a LOT and also most of the lyrics so I guess I can understand the Rush hate.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 11/16/2017, 03:47 PMThere is more progressive rock than there is time to hear it. I just discovered Hawkwind, I mean *really* discovered them, about two years ago. It's amazing I didn't know about Space Ritual until so recently. It's possible I'd like Rush if I gave it a dive, but I'm in no way looking to do that. I have shit that actually interests me that I haven't had time to listen to yet.

I enjoy the Trailer Park Boys.
lol, I used to drive around blasting Hawkwind in highschool in a busted up El Camino.

My friends were like "dude what is that noise you are listening to.  its fucking awesome"

that band rules.

Rush's latest stuff is fucking dumb.

gimme the trees.  the trees is fuckin cool.

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

ClodBusted

Quote from: Lost Monkey on 11/16/2017, 07:23 PMIf you don't like Geddy's voice, try this instrumental (1978):
Reminds me of the days at the Halford's bar in Berlin, before it moved several times within the city. Good times, they had always playing old music videos on the pool billard room's TV, Slade and other stuff.

SignOfZeta

Would you believe Americans never got Slade? We made a new band called Quiet Riot to cover two Slade singles which were huge hits (again) and then we gave up after that. Seems kinda fucked to me...they were a fun band. Runaway was one of my first singles.
IMG

ClodBusted

I think I learned about Quiet Riot from GTA Vice City, although I'm sure I heard some of their songs when I was a child.

turboswimbz

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 11/22/2017, 01:50 PMWould you believe Americans never got Slade? We made a new band called Quiet Riot to cover two Slade singles which were huge hits (again) and then we gave up after that. Seems kinda fucked to me...they were a fun band. Runaway was one of my first singles.
I thought I read once Slade tried to make a run over here, touring with major acts, but it never caught on. I looked up info on them after I found an old (to me anyway) Slade vinyl my dad had. They clearly influenced some other very popular bands that for sure. 
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

SignOfZeta

Yeah, when it comes to rock and roll hooks and catchiness and such Slade is terrific.

Quote from: guest on 11/23/2017, 01:13 AMI think I learned about Quiet Riot from GTA Vice City, although I'm sure I heard some of their songs when I was a child.
They were probably those two songs I mentioned. They didn't really have much of a presence otherwise...despite still existing and I think touring. I wonder if they ever opened for Slade...
IMG

ClodBusted

Slade's Noddy Holder totally looks like 1971's Willy Wonka.

SignOfZeta

I think of him as the lost Doctor Who.
IMG

ClodBusted

Now that you mention it, I have to agree on that.

ClodBusted

How about "The Beatles OR The Rolling Stones?"

esteban

Rush
Tool
Claypool/Primus

...are not worthy of a thread.

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Pfloydguy2

I'm bumping this dead topic, because I'm new and this is unmoderated and I think this forum needs to know I pick Peter Gabriel over Phil Collins.  And not even because of that Sussudio nonsense.

In other news, Yes was the greatest band ever until Relayer. Well, they're still the greatest now, but some other band took over at that point and started naming albums Tormato and shit.

SignOfZeta

I love Tormato. A lot. I have to admit the original LP is so badly mastered you need to fuck with your stereo for an hour to be able to listen to it loud painlessly, but I really like it. I think Release Release is one of their best songs ever and I really like how the record opens.

I have some trouble enjoying Relayer, mainly becsause of the "fusion jazz elements, but I like Side 1.

I didn't know AC/DC had more than one singer until someone told me last year. They seem to sound %100 abso-fucking-lutly identical (like a horny drunk Cobra Comander, *exactly*) but people have VERY strong opinions about...one of them, I presume the later guy "sucks" by whatever standards hardcore AC/DC fans judge things. I don't know.
IMG

Pfloydguy2

I can't tell ACDC's singers apart either.  It's hard to differentiate two voices that both sound like a feral cat getting skinned and salted.

SignOfZeta

Its amazing how many cock rock bands in the 80s had that Cobra Comander sound. It was really the thing to have. Then Guns and Roses kinda took it to the next level and everyone else just cold slithered off. When Rose joined AC/DC it felt like...man, which one is the real Cobra Comander?
IMG

esteban

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 01/10/2018, 05:40 PMIts amazing how many cock rock bands in the 80s had that Cobra Comander sound. It was really the thing to have. Then Guns and Roses kinda took it to the next level and everyone else just cold slithered off. When Rose joined AC/DC it felt like...man, which one is the real Cobra Comander?
They really did slither off...

I am surprised nobody has created an alternate universe 80's band that builds a full album around that one, epic song... one of the best moments at work was when a colleague and I brainstormed possible topics/themes for a concept album.

And you just introduced a fresh approach to the album...one track should have guest vocals courtesy Cobra Commander. Destro could, possibly, do a narration like Vincent Price's "the funk of 40 thousand years"...

Back on Topic: RYTHM OF THE HEAT was one of my favorite songs in middle school. I loved blasting that song.

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

LostFlunky

I forgot about this:  Listen to the intro (up to when Peter Gabriel starts singing) of this Genesis song (The Return of the Giant Hogweed) and see how much it sounds like 8/16 bit era dungeon boss music...

SignOfZeta

I love that song. It's never made me think of video games though.
IMG