10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Supergrafx questions

Started by AlexKidd, 07/09/2005, 11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexKidd

I know pretty much nothing about the supergrafx other than it's name and what it looks like. So I have some basic questions about the system.

How many games came out for it(i know it's less than 10) and what are they?

Does it play anything other than SuperGrafx games?

Did it come out in the U.S only, Japan only or both?

Was it more powerful than the turbo duo?

How much do they usually go for?

OldRover

I believe there were five games released for it. Someone else here would have a list. It plays TG games as well as SGX games. It was only released in Japan. I'd venture a guess and say "yes" to being more powerful than the Duo. And they go for "way too much" on ebay. :D
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

esteban

SGX HuCards:
1941 Counter Attack
Aldynes
Battle Ace
Daimakaimura
Madoo Granzort

HuCard / SGX hybrid:
Darius Alpha
Darius Plus

The SGX had some enhanced graphics capabilities over the PC-Engine, so technically it was more powerful than PCE / Duo / TG-16.  But it wasn't a leap ahead, technologically.  It wasn't the "next generation" of the PC-Engine console, more like an enhanced PCE.

Search the magicengine forums for some details (some folks new all the tech specs). There might even be some stuff here...
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

AlexKidd

Quote from: OldRoverI believe there were five games released for it. Someone else here would have a list. It plays TG games as well as SGX games. It was only released in Japan. I'd venture a guess and say "yes" to being more powerful than the Duo. And they go for "way too much" on ebay. :D

Thanks to both of you for the info. But by saying it plays TG games as well do you mean only Japanese pc engine hucards or American Turbo Grafx games as well?

cozzie

I dont know what you mean Supergrafx go for way too much on ebay you can get them now for around £80 boxed as new!!!
I remember a few years back they used to fetch up to £300!!

cozzie

The Supergrafx will only play Japanese hucards it will also play pc engine cd rom games providing you have a cd rom and an Rau 30 to connect them both.

AlexKidd

Quote from: "cozzie"I dont know what you mean Supergrafx go for way too much on ebay you can get them now for around £80 boxed as new!!!

You're right, there are two of them on there at under $100. Though there is also a guy on there trying to sell one for $1000. It looks perfect and has all of the games with it but that still seems a bit insane to me.

cozzie

I think generaly over here in England the original white pc engine is held in much higher regard than the supergrafx.
Dont get me wrong I love the supergrafx I have one and the two best games for it Daimakamura and 1941 counter attack. I also have Darius alpha but I wouldnt class this as a proper Supergrafx game.
It is a poor game also for the cost of it.

twor2005

The supergrafx games don't seem to have much you couldn't do with an extra meg or two on a regular HuCard as far as I can tell. I wonder what this system would look like tapped to its full potential? What would, say SFII' looked like as a 20 meg Supergrafx card?

cozzie

Good question!!
We can only wish!! The supergrafx version of Daimakamura is loads better than the Megadrive version the only thing that lets it down are the crap music and sound affects.
I would love to have seen Outrun running on the system before it was canned!!

lord_cack

Quote from: "cozzie"Good question!!
We can only wish!! The supergrafx version of Daimakamura is loads better than the Megadrive version the only thing that lets it down are the crap music and sound affects.
I would love to have seen Outrun running on the system before it was canned!!

That and the fact that it is WAY tougher than the Mega Drive/Genesis version....too tough if you ask me....which I wouldn't I suck at games...I just love to play them....
A dark tide will rise and she will walk again. He is coming.....

akamichi

Quote from: "twor2005"The supergrafx games don't seem to have much you couldn't do with an extra meg or two on a regular HuCard as far as I can tell. I wonder what this system would look like tapped to its full potential? What would, say SFII' looked like as a 20 meg Supergrafx card?
It would have rocked I'm sure.  Of course the sound f/x and music would have been exactly the same.

However, imagine what a SGX ACD game could have been like... (!!)

Keranu

Heh, heh. I always thought of what a CD Super Grafx game would look like. A ACD Super Grafx game, as Akamichi mentioned, would be even more interesting.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

TR0N

Quote from: "AlexKidd"
Quote from: "cozzie"I dont know what you mean Supergrafx go for way too much on ebay you can get them now for around £80 boxed as new!!!

You're right, there are two of them on there at under $100. Though there is also a guy on there trying to sell one for $1000. It looks perfect and has all of the games with it but that still seems a bit insane to me.
Yeah some do try to over charge on the Supergrafix.

Still the systems doesn't cost a fortune.

unboxed a little over a $100.00 boxed over $200.00 :arrow:
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

TR0N

Quote from: "cozzie"The Supergrafx will only play Japanese hucards it will also play pc engine cd rom games providing you have a cd rom and an Rau 30 to connect them both.
Not unless the, Supergrafix is region modded it can play u.s hucards.

Just ask D-lite :wink:
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

CrackTiger

Quote from: "akamichi"
Quote from: "twor2005"The supergrafx games don't seem to have much you couldn't do with an extra meg or two on a regular HuCard as far as I can tell. I wonder what this system would look like tapped to its full potential? What would, say SFII' looked like as a 20 meg Supergrafx card?
It would have rocked I'm sure.  Of course the sound f/x and music would have been exactly the same.

However, imagine what a SGX ACD game could have been like... (!!)

Although a lot of it would look the same, bg's(like the sky in Ryu's stage) could be more colorful if seperated since they wouldn't be sharing the same color limit.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!