Legend of Xanadu save file not working properly for some reason

Started by greg, 10/18/2011, 04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

OK, so this is weird. I've begun playing Kaze no Densetsu Xanadu on the PCE. I'm able to save my progress as I go along, but when I turn off the system and come back to it, it says that there is no game save file. I checked what's been saved to the Duo, and I see the DSS.KAZE-0 file. So when I try the "continue" (つづきから), it tells me that there's no game save and starts me out from the beginning of the game. But if I load the game from the status screen, the progress is suddenly there.

So basically, the game won't recognize its own save files from the main title menu. But if I start a new game and load my progress from there, suddenly it works. Is this weird, or what? About a month or so ago, I had my friend replace all of the capacitors on my Duo because I'd lost the ability to save games to the system memory. I received a schematic from somebody on either this forum or on Racketboy and gave it to him. He ordered all of the parts and fixed it. Is this problem of Xanadu perhaps a result of this? He said that there was one big funky capacitor that he didn't change on the motherboard because it wasn't recommended, but  could this be the reason?

CrackTiger

You have to load the correct color ball. If you started on red, then all saves are under the red ball.

If I remember correctly, to load a game, start the game using the correct color ball and then load in-game. I think that selecting the correct save slot/colored ball is only that... and you then load your save after essentially beginning aq new game.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

greg

Right, I know that. I read the instruction book. Let's say I save to the blue sphere. Once I shut the system off and power it back on, If I choose "continue" and select the blue sphere, it says that there is no save and begins the game from the beginning. Then once I begin a new game, I am able to bring up the status screen, choose "load", and my game is right where I left it.

CrackTiger

Quote from: greg on 10/18/2011, 08:18 PMRight, I know that. I read the instruction book. Let's say I save to the blue sphere. Once I shut the system off and power it back on, If I choose "continue" and select the blue sphere, it says that there is no save and begins the game from the beginning. Then once I begin a new game, I am able to bring up the status screen, choose "load", and my game is right where I left it.
That's how it works for me and I never thought that it was anything other than an unusual Save/Load method.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

greg

Really? Why would it have a "continue" option then? That's so weird. So you always had to start a new game and then open the file from there?

nat

Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

greg

Thanks guys. It just makes no sense that the game is like this, unless there are two different types of way to save during the game (like at the end of each chapter, etc). The manual didn't seem to say much more than what I already wrote above, except it mentions using a tennokoe card for additional save space.

CrackTiger

Maybe it uses the Memory Base 128 or something to load files in an alternate way.