RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

How Good is Splatterhouse?

Started by TurboDawg, 09/27/2005, 09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TurboDawg

Alot of people ive talked to here and there tell me a must to have for tg16 is SplatterHouse. I have only seen screenshots and am probably going to be getting it soon, how good would u say it really is?
I am Higher Energy

Keranu

Hey it's nice to see you posting here now, Icedawg. It's surely worth getting and it is an awesome game to play, though there are better platform games for the Turbo. It doesn't have as much platform elements as other platform games, but it's loaded with sweet gore and that's what makes it stick out from the others, and it's quite awesome to blast away at a huge, mutated creature with a bag over his head and chainsaws for arms with a shotgun ;) . It's still a really fun game to play every now and then and it was so gorey back then that it's really worth getting.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

PCEngineHell

The arcade version has the best gore though,even though I love the
Turbo/Pc Engine version,the arcade is worlds better gore wise and audio wise.

Keranu

Yeah, it's not a perfect arcade port and is not as gorey or sound as good, as Michael stated, but it's a popular console port and it's still great to have. The FM Towns Marti version is supposed to be arcade perfect quality, but then you would have to go through the trouble and expensive of buying an FM Towns Marti and Splatter House for it, so may as well own the TG16 version since it's just as good to have.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

esteban

everything has been said. this is a fun little game, and it isn't too easy, so you feel like you accomplished something when you beat it (unlike the Bonk games, unfortunately... they're loads of fun to play, but way too easy).

Do yourself a favor: don't read any faqs or reviews aobut the game. Just play it. There are some really nice touches to appreciate, but they can easilly be ruined by any "spoiler" you'll encounter when you read about this game.

Is Splatterhouse a 10/10? No way! But  it's still a gem in the emaciated U.S. HuCard library.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Keranu

I'm actually opposite of Steve here. I personally find Splatterhouse to be a pretty easy game, until the second-to-last level, which I finally managed to beat along with the rest of the game for the first time last Saturday. But I don't think it's a hard game really, but I think the Bonk games can be pretty difficult for people who haven't played them much and I can beat Bonk's Revenge and Big Adventure easily these days, but still can't beat that damn King Drool in the original!
IMG

jlued686

Yeah, I actually find the game to be quite easy/short.  I remember renting it when I was in junior high.  I beat it relatively quickly.  I still think it's a great - if shallow - game, simply for the campiness of it all.

esteban

Quote from: "Keranu"I'm actually opposite of Steve here. I personally find Splatterhouse to be a pretty easy game, until the second-to-last level, which I finally managed to beat along with the rest of the game for the first time last Saturday. But I don't think it's a hard game really, but I think the Bonk games can be pretty difficult for people who haven't played them much and I can beat Bonk's Revenge and Big Adventure easily these days, but still can't beat that damn King Drool in the original!
My bad, I should have noted that I play on the so-called "hard" mode... hold "select" on title screen and this option becomes available. And I don't use continues or the turbo switches...

That said, Keranu got me to thinkin' about this game vs. Bonk series vs. other games in terms of difficulty... I guess it does matter how familiar you are with a game.  

Also, Splatterhouse is a pretty short game... kinda like Vigilante.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

GUTS

Bonk is easy as cake, I used to beat both of those and see how many lives I could have in reserve.  I forget my record on Bonk's Adventure, but on Revenge I did it once with like 50+ lives I think, it was awesome.  Splatterhouse was awesome too, although I never tried it on hard mode.  I remember I could beat the normal mode pretty easily though, I used to beat it once a month or so when I was young.

TurboDawg

O yea ill be posting here som. within the next few weeks i will pick up Splatter House, most likely on ebay. I have never read any reviews, but from the screens ive seen it looks pretty awesome.
I am Higher Energy

Keranu

Quote from: "stevek666"Also, Splatterhouse is a pretty short game... kinda like Vigilante.
Man Vigilante is easy as pie until the last boss. I remember the first time I played it, I made it pretty far until I had to use a continue and then I stopped, although it was actually a little harder for me after that. The game is so easy until you make it to the last boss, but it is possible to get past the last boss but I forget the trick to him so now I either brutally die when I face him or find a trick and beat the game.
IMG

Bake

In order to beat the last boss you have to do a lot of of those foward lunging jump kicks.  Thats basically all I did inorder to beat him.  But the game is seriously way too short, it take like 25 minutes or less to beat.

But yeah, I would buy splatterhouse, it's a cool game.  I suppose it's kinda short, maybe 45 minutes long.  I can't really remember

PCEngineHell

To beat the last boss I jump doged the hands,and punched the head when it rised.I can beat the Pc Engine/TG16 game maybe only dying once/twice all the way trough.The hardest part for me used to be the womb,but that was when I was a teen,now I can beat it in my sleep.

Keranu

The womb is very hard! The level itself isn't bad, but the boss is difficult because he has so much life! Putting on the Turbo-fire helps but you also have to avoid the fetuses that come down from above.
IMG

TurboDawg

im tellin u guys.... I can't wait to play this game!
I am Higher Energy

Keranu

You are the higher energy!
IMG